General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Harassment Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-06-12 9:37 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: Harassment

My sister, we'll call her Weezie (childhood nickname due to her asthma, don't worry it's all in good fun) is running her first 10k in a week. Rock on. When out for training runs, she will occasionally get people honking and whistling at her which is annoying but kinda harmless. I'm more concerned about the people who will slow their cars down and follow her. I'll do my best to keep my language family friendly here, but this is some creepy f****** s***, and I'm very concerned about it. Her boyfriend is in the Marines, so I feel better when he goes running with her, but he's not always there. Sadly, this is nothing new. As I'm sure many of you wonderful ladies have experienced, there are a lot of creeps out there. I can think of a few obvious remedies right off the bat like trying to run in safer neighborhoods, staying closer to populated areas, but I'd like to hear how you ladies handle it in your every day lives. On behalf of my gender, I'll apologize for what women have to put up with. It's completely unacceptable and while not every guy is like that, there are too many. One is too many.  Tell me your stories, give me your advice so I can pass it along.

Thanks!

Edited by trijamie 2014-06-12 9:49 AM

2014-06-12 9:47 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Seattle, Washington
Subject: RE: Harassment
My coworker runs with a "Mommy running group" as she calls it. Don't know if that's right for your sister, but there are a ton of running groups available that are female specific that offer safety in numbers. I live in a nice area near her, and she won't run the W&OD trail near us without a group of people. She doesn't even think I should, but that's a different conversation.

Still, all my female running friends end up defaulting to the safety in numbers running groups. Sucks that she has to deal with that.
2014-06-12 9:48 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Sorry we can't make you feel better when we are the ones being harassed....

2014-06-12 9:48 AM

User image

Pro

I wouldn't worry about it.......we're not exactly buried with stories of women being attacked while jogging.  If she's running in an area with a fair amount of traffic, vehicle or otherwise, she's not likely in any danger.  My 14 year old now runs on the road and she gets the same thing (she's 5'9" and hasn't looked 14 since she was 10)..... you can't fix stupid, no point in trying.

2014-06-12 9:55 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

real advice?  headphones so you don't have to hear it.  i don't have any idea how to stop it from happening or where to go to avoid it.  

2014-06-12 9:58 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

My wife walks the MUP by her office during her lunch hour, constantly gets comments, whistles, etc. She finds the best thing to do is just ignore them completely. Just monkeys looking for a reaction, ruins all their fun when they don't get one. 

Aside from that she has been known to carry pepper spray while walking or running. 

2014-06-12 9:59 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Thank you for your thoughtful post.

Keep a camera phone with her. Anyone who violates her sense of space/acceptable behavior gets their picture taken. If a vehicle is involved, take a picture of their license plate too. Call someone and speak LOUDLY about some weird guy in a blue Chevy (or whatever the car is). Heck, even if you can't make the call, pretend you ARE.

This could be terrible advice. I don't know. But it's what I would do (and have done here in Indonesia but for different reasons).

Make sure she varies her running routes and times. Predictability is the enemy. Message someone when she's leaving, her (approximate) route, and when she expects to return.

I've never felt genuinely threatened. But the few times I've felt uncomfortable, I do something unpredictable. If someone is behind me, I do a sharp about-face and run AT them. At other times (not running), but on a subway or bus at late hours, I've pretended to be crazy (okay, not a far reach here) and talking psycho babble to myself in various voices and volumes (inappropriate) out loud.

2014-06-12 10:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by mehaner

Sorry we can't make you feel better when we are the ones being harassed....

@Marilyn

I believe your "body beautiful" given your fitness sport back ground, if i am the harasser I wont dare cross you. I am only 5'8" medium built you can send me home in a 2FT x 2FT box.

@Jamie

Sorry about your sister having the same Asthma condition like you do. Make sure she brings her inhaler during runs no matter how short. Re. teh otehr concern I am sure there will be good advice coming your way.

Cheers everyone.

Edited by strykergt 2014-06-12 10:01 AM
2014-06-12 10:07 AM

User image

It sucks. But like others have said ignoring them seems to be the best solution. If I go run anywhere that doesn't have a good bit of traffic ( foot or car) I carry pepper spray and bring my mutt. Ive haven't had problems since we moved to a nicer area but in our previous location I did see a reduction in attention after my dog got old enough to run with me.
2014-06-12 10:09 AM

+1 to finding a running group.

I usually run solo, but after a woman was recently attacked during her morning run, not too far from my regular route, I'm thinking about running more with the local women's run group. Otherwise, I stick to the track at the local college where there are usually a few other folks.

I do run with earbuds, but I only leave one in, in the hopes that having only one bud will allow me to hear more of what's going on around me.
2014-06-12 10:27 AM
in reply to: runbugjones

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Problem solved...

2014-06-12 10:33 AM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Its usually ignorant people, I am 5'10" and 190 and have been almost hit by cars on a bike and running, usually high school kids thinking its funny, to Buzz they guy on a bike. I stopped and called the police and gave them the license plate number, they took care of it. I also ran through a "dicey" part of town and had more then one person shout "you better run white boy". I also had my wife honked at and harassed while I was about a block back, The guy nearly s*** himself when I ran up to his car and I asked him if he liked what he saw and told him I get to hit that. I find most of these people ot be cowards and have more bark than bite in them.

2014-06-12 10:33 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
2014-06-12 10:50 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Pepper spray is light weight and easy to use.

Maybe buy her some as a gift?
2014-06-12 11:02 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I have gotten to the point where I zone out almost everything around me when I run - the cat calls, whistles, yells, even honks within inches of me. I get honked at, at an alarmingly high rate. I don't like that I've had to zone everything out becuase I feel I might be missing out on other surroundings sometimes (both good and bad) but it just sort of happened. It has to, if a female wants to run in public any more. Otherwise I'd be jumping out of my skin every 60 seconds.

2014-06-12 11:17 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
OK, so, I am a woman who runs in Detroit alone.

Much of what I do has already been mentioned -- vary my route; stick to safe, well-trafficked areas; let someone know when I am leaving and when I am back; trust my instinct and turn around if I feel uneasy, etc.

I do not run with weapons or pepper spray because of the possibility of it being used against me, and only occasionally take my mutt. I feel that if I have to arm myself to go for a run, I would rather move. I have surprisingly few times where I have felt unsafe, knock wood. There has been once or twice where a kid has tried to scare me.

Like the commenter above, for the honks and whistles or whatever, I just try my best not to react. People are only doing it to get a rise out of you, and if you don't respond, you take away their fun. Don't jump even if a horn startles you. If everyone can stop reacting to catcalls and honks, they'll get bored and stop.

2014-06-12 11:34 AM

User image

Tell her to move north. Seriously, I used to live in Louisiana, and Southern men are so much ruder and more hostile toward women than Northern men. My husband is from there, and when we go back, he can't believe that he never noticed how bad the men are when he lived there.

However, men up north are far from perfect, and as much as it sucks, part of being a woman is learning how to ignore harassment (I am not saying that it is right, but I do think that women have to be much braver and emotionally tougher than men). Responding is simply too dangerous. She can try carrying her phone and taking pictures of plates, but her reflexes need to be really good for that. If I run at night, I do carry pepper spray. I also advocate that every woman take self-defense classes.
2014-06-12 11:41 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown
If everyone can stop reacting to catcalls and honks, they'll get bored and stop.

I don't know many stories of women who respond to catcalls and honks. I feel like whenever my friends and I talk about it, no one says, "I just tell them to shut the hell up" or "I met my last boyfriend that way", you know? I wonder how much reinforcement - positive or negative - these guys receive for their actions.
2014-06-12 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Hey, it happens to us guys too! Just the other day while standing on the corner waiting for a light to turn I got a whole earful from a car loaded with ladies. I mean I'm in decent shape, but I now realize I must have a pretty sexy a$$ and my short shorts (they were only my 6" shorts, imagine if they were my split 2") are da#m sexy. 

It happens. I think the best advice is to just ignore it and keep moving along like you are oblivious to it. 

Edited by thebigb 2014-06-12 11:58 AM
2014-06-12 12:01 PM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Originally posted by runbugjones

I don't know many stories of women who respond to catcalls and honks. I feel like whenever my friends and I talk about it, no one says, "I just tell them to shut the hell up" or "I met my last boyfriend that way", you know? I wonder how much reinforcement - positive or negative - these guys receive for their actions.

I have found that with 99% of people acting like a fool, once they are called out they realize they are fools. The guy freaking out at the cashier, the lady arguing about a sale price. Society has failed in those regards, we are civilized and sometimes need to be reminded of that. I saw a father punch a guy in the face at the MN state fair a few years ago the guy was "harassing" his young daughter, I don't advocate that response but I am sure the guy will think twice about that in the future. Just like a child dies something for a reaction, you can choose to ignore them offering nor reaction good or bad, or respond with a negative reinforcement. If a guy who acts like that get no response and still does it, he needs the later.
2014-06-12 12:08 PM

User image

Pro

None of this is new in the world, and it's not worse now than before, and it's not going to stop, and it doesn't mean the idiots doing it care what you think or don't think, or usually even what you look like.  I wouldn't take it personally.....the idiots who do that do it to virtually every woman they see.  It's some kind of a dumbarse gene.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-06-12 12:09 PM

2014-06-12 12:29 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by GotBackup
Originally posted by runbugjones I don't know many stories of women who respond to catcalls and honks. I feel like whenever my friends and I talk about it, no one says, "I just tell them to shut the hell up" or "I met my last boyfriend that way", you know? I wonder how much reinforcement - positive or negative - these guys receive for their actions.
I have found that with 99% of people acting like a fool, once they are called out they realize they are fools. The guy freaking out at the cashier, the lady arguing about a sale price. Society has failed in those regards, we are civilized and sometimes need to be reminded of that. I saw a father punch a guy in the face at the MN state fair a few years ago the guy was "harassing" his young daughter, I don't advocate that response but I am sure the guy will think twice about that in the future. Just like a child dies something for a reaction, you can choose to ignore them offering nor reaction good or bad, or respond with a negative reinforcement. If a guy who acts like that get no response and still does it, he needs the later.

I think responding with a negative reinforcement is exactly what they are hoping for and would encourage the behavior, inviting even more unwanted attention.

Curious - what would be an example of a solo female runner responding with negative reinforcement to a male harasser? What does that look like? How do you envision that playing out?

2014-06-12 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Left Brain

None of this is new in the world, and it's not worse now than before, and it's not going to stop, and it doesn't mean the idiots doing it care what you think or don't think, or usually even what you look like.  I wouldn't take it personally.....the idiots who do that do it to virtually every woman they see.  It's some kind of a dumbarse gene.

I will only speak for myself, but there's something that feels very "personal" about having a car slow down and follow me on a run. Regardless of whether it's new in the world and whether the behavior is going to stop, it still comes across as rather threatening at that moment, and I wish I had a better response than "run with a group".

Edited by runbugjones 2014-06-12 12:32 PM
2014-06-12 12:37 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by runbugjones

I will only speak for myself, but there's something that feels very "personal" about having a car slow down and follow me on a run. Regardless of whether it's new in the world and whether the behavior is going to stop, it still comes across as rather threatening at that moment, and I wish I had a better response than "run with a group".

I bet it does....but I'm telling you, the idiot that behaves that way does it to nearly every woman they come across who's running, cycling, etc.  It really has a lot less to do with you than you think it does.  It's their issue.

2014-06-12 12:49 PM

I bet it does....but I'm telling you, the idiot that behaves that way does it to nearly every woman they come across who's running, cycling, etc.  It really has a lot less to do with you than you think it does.  It's their issue.

I'm not sure we're approaching this from the same angle. You're coming at this from the perspective that the odds are low that I'm in any actual danger. I will concede that.

However, I'm not concerned that John Boy is being driven wild by my sexy behind doing a 12 minute mile around the 'hood, or even what his issues are. I am concerned with my perception of my safety in the moment, as well as whatever my safety might actually be. To me, assuming that I am being threatened whenever someone slows down to follow me on a run is not substantially different than assuming that the gun is ALWAYS loaded.

Edited by runbugjones 2014-06-12 12:50 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Harassment Rss Feed  

of 4