of 4

2014-06-12 7:21 PM
in reply to: PowerRuff

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Harassment
Originally posted by PowerRuff

It sucks. But like others have said ignoring them seems to be the best solution. If I go run anywhere that doesn't have a good bit of traffic ( foot or car) I carry pepper spray and bring my mutt. Ive haven't had problems since we moved to a nicer area but in our previous location I did see a reduction in attention after my dog got old enough to run with me.

Pepper spray and a dog...perfect. We live in a super safe area, but I love that my wife takes our pit whenever she runs.

2014-06-12 7:34 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jennifer_runs
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jennifer_runs So where do you draw the line at what is "stupid moronic" behaviour versus actual harassment or unwanted attention? I'm not that concerned about wolf whistles or taunting calls, but the OP mentioned being followed in a car. I don't particularly care if LB's wife and four daughters are comfortable with this-- I wouldn't be. Once I was running in a popular running path (a loop around a golf course) and a guy turned around and started talking to me and running with me. He thought he had permission to hit on me because I gave him the runner's wave. He said he was in town visiting, started chatting me up and eventually asked me back to his hotel-- it was REALLY uncomfortable. This all happened within about a two-minute period. I quickly just said, "sorry I have to go home to my husband" and left the path. Thankfully I was close to the road and was easily able to move to an area where I felt safer and he stopped following me. As I said I always run in busy areas and streets -- can't always run with someone else but I do prefer that.

I never said they were "comfortable" and I'm not trying to make you mad......but the idea that these idiots are going to take it to the next step of grabbing you or snatching you or worse is just not rational. Millions of women run every day, a large percentage have to deal with at least one of these dolts along the way....one of them hurting you is less likely than a lightning strike.  Yeah, the guy in your scenario is creepy, who the hell does that?  BUT.....even as dumb as he is he went on his way.

The best advice I've seen on this thread for someone actually slowing down and following you was the poster who said she would take a picture of their license and ten at least act like she was making a call.......that'll be the end of that. 

I just don't think women should be afraid, and I certainly haven't raised my daughters to be afraid.  Be smart, be strong, but don't live like you have to constantly be on guard or afraid.  These guys are dumb as a box of rocks...... don't be afraid of them.  But don't think they are going to stop being stupid any time soon....it defines them, it's who they are.  They aren't dangerous, they're stupid.

You're right, and I don't live my life in fear... maybe because I don't, I'm surprised when these things happen! (No, it's not common, and this guy was incredibly creepy.) But I just didn't like how you seemed to dismiss the idea that we must be cautious. You and I are saying the same things-- stay in populated areas, stand tall, etc. Also, I didn't used to carry my phone when running, but then I started to when my kids were preteens and I started leaving them alone for short periods. I got in the habit of carrying it (and then using it for music/podcasts, and sometimes for GPS), so now I just always have it. I realize that the headphones and the expensive phone can make me a "target" in other ways, but I'm not that concerned.

Cool.....you never impressed me as someone who scared easily.  Yeah, we are saying the same thing.

This I know, without a shadow of doubt after dealing with "tough guys" for most of my adult life.......they aren't.   People who go out of their way to try to physically intimidate others are NOT tough guys.  Believe it.  Stand up to them. 

That's a bit off topic from where we started, but some of the posts have alluded to these types of people.  Pizz on them.

2014-06-13 5:47 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Verbal harassment is pretty much a weekly if not daily occurrence here. It has improved considerably over the years as more expats have moved into the area and many more women, locals as well as expats, run or do other sports outdoors. There are also fewer large construction sites (full of young men, usually in to work from the countryside, in big groups--the typical harasser profile in Asia) in the neighborhoods I run through. I generally just ignore it. It tends to cease if I make a pretense of being really hard-core (look at my watch, launch into a tempo run until out of yelling/grabbing distance). Pretty much everywhere here is quite public, so actually getting attacked is rare--it has happened, generally grab and grope stuff, and a few incidents where women running or walking along the street have been dragged by guys on motorbikes. I'm very strategic about not running parallel to busy motorbike traffic, and try to cross streets when no one's within grabbing distance. I also don't wear headphones to run, unless in a very public area like the riverfront promenade, which is full of exercisers from dawn to after dark.

I've only been grabbed (actually, the guy pinched my butt as I ran past) on one occasion. My instinctual response was to jerk my arm backwards and when I did it, I managed to deck the dude (shorter than me and probably similar weight) in the nose. I'm not a big, muscular woman but I do have sharp elbows and fast reflexes. That felt like a great time to do a little Zone 5 work and I sprinted off. When I turned the corner I saw he'd bent over and was bleeding. Thank goodness he and his buddy did not give chase. I think they were very drunk or stoned and probably pretty harmless, just annoying. Normally I would cross the street away from pairs of groups of young men to avoid such situations, but we were crowded into a narrow lane by some construction fences.

On the plus side, I have "cheering squads" here for my early AM runs--mostly older guys out for their constitutionals who like to greet me or yell encouragement in English or French. Sometimes I miss those calls of "Marathon, marathon!" "Allez, allez!" or "Numba one!" when I run in the US.

2014-06-13 9:07 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Verbal harassment is pretty much a weekly if not daily occurrence here. It has improved considerably over the years as more expats have moved into the area and many more women, locals as well as expats, run or do other sports outdoors. There are also fewer large construction sites (full of young men, usually in to work from the countryside, in big groups--the typical harasser profile in Asia) in the neighborhoods I run through. I generally just ignore it. It tends to cease if I make a pretense of being really hard-core (look at my watch, launch into a tempo run until out of yelling/grabbing distance). Pretty much everywhere here is quite public, so actually getting attacked is rare--it has happened, generally grab and grope stuff, and a few incidents where women running or walking along the street have been dragged by guys on motorbikes. I'm very strategic about not running parallel to busy motorbike traffic, and try to cross streets when no one's within grabbing distance. I also don't wear headphones to run, unless in a very public area like the riverfront promenade, which is full of exercisers from dawn to after dark. I've only been grabbed (actually, the guy pinched my butt as I ran past) on one occasion. My instinctual response was to jerk my arm backwards and when I did it, I managed to deck the dude (shorter than me and probably similar weight) in the nose. I'm not a big, muscular woman but I do have sharp elbows and fast reflexes. That felt like a great time to do a little Zone 5 work and I sprinted off. When I turned the corner I saw he'd bent over and was bleeding. Thank goodness he and his buddy did not give chase. I think they were very drunk or stoned and probably pretty harmless, just annoying. Normally I would cross the street away from pairs of groups of young men to avoid such situations, but we were crowded into a narrow lane by some construction fences. On the plus side, I have "cheering squads" here for my early AM runs--mostly older guys out for their constitutionals who like to greet me or yell encouragement in English or French. Sometimes I miss those calls of "Marathon, marathon!" "Allez, allez!" or "Numba one!" when I run in the US.

Awesome on elbowing a harasser! I like that.

On my run last night there was a group of neighbors talking in the street, one clearly a runner in runner gear. He turned around as I passed, gave me a huge smile, raised his arms in the air and yelled "GOOOO RUNNER!!" It made me think of this thread and on the other end of the spectrum how nice and encouraging others can be.

2014-06-13 9:35 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

New user
Key West
Originally posted by pga_mike

Run with a group.  In DC, we have almost an attack a week on women running alone.  Almost always the women are alone and wearing earbuds. 

I used to live in DC and I can attest to that being the case. It doesn't just happen in DC either, it happened when I lived in OK to a woman running in the country, and it happens all over the country. It is a real danger. Statistically does it happen very often, no, but many dangers don't come to fruition, but you still have to make a plan based on that reality. As much as it pains me to have to change my behavior, I stopped running in secluded areas and at night/wee hours many years ago. It just is not safe, especially for women, who are typically the victims. I don't run in groups, never have in my 33 years of running, but do stay to safer routes.

As for the cat calls, that doesn't bother me in a bit. Maybe because I grew up spending all of my summers in Italy where it is just a way for men to express their love/admiration for women and also because it isn't effecting my safety, health, or finances. Hey, at my age, if I get a cat call, it makes my day. I kind of miss the good 'ol days of whistles and cat calls. That though is completely separate from being followed, threatened or stalked.
2014-06-13 10:26 AM

Arden, North Carolina
I try my hardest to ignore your posts, but I just can't anymore on this one. So what if you THINK it's irrational? Fear is fear. Why must you always be right? If a woman is fearful about a guy harassing/following her, then she's fearful, and allowed to be. You really think you're going to convince her that the next time that happens, she's going to think, "hmm, this guy is following me, and i'm afraid, but left brain said i'm being irrational, so I"m no longer afraid"

We get it, you have your stance, you know you're right, and as a man I'm sure you know everything that goes on in a woman's mind. For once just let it go. Who cares if it's rational or irrational? It's a fear driven by pathetic, cowardly losers that have nothing better to do.
I'm going out on a limb here in assuming that you're not going to convince a single woman on this thread that they're being irrational, so maybe save your breath on this one?

2014-06-13 10:40 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville I try my hardest to ignore your posts, but I just can't anymore on this one. So what if you THINK it's irrational? Fear is fear. Why must you always be right? If a woman is fearful about a guy harassing/following her, then she's fearful, and allowed to be. You really think you're going to convince her that the next time that happens, she's going to think, "hmm, this guy is following me, and i'm afraid, but left brain said i'm being irrational, so I"m no longer afraid" We get it, you have your stance, you know you're right, and as a man I'm sure you know everything that goes on in a woman's mind. For once just let it go. Who cares if it's rational or irrational? It's a fear driven by pathetic, cowardly losers that have nothing better to do. I'm going out on a limb here in assuming that you're not going to convince a single woman on this thread that they're being irrational, so maybe save your breath on this one?

You should probably continue to ignore....it'll be better for your blood pressure. 

2014-06-13 10:43 AM
in reply to: 0

Veteran

Originally posted by jennifer_runs So where do you draw the line at what is "stupid moronic" behaviour versus actual harassment or unwanted attention? I'm not that concerned about wolf whistles or taunting calls, but the OP mentioned being followed in a car. I don't particularly care if LB's wife and four daughters are comfortable with this-- I wouldn't be. Once I was running in a popular running path (a loop around a golf course) and a guy turned around and started talking to me and running with me. He thought he had permission to hit on me because I gave him the runner's wave. He said he was in town visiting, started chatting me up and eventually asked me back to his hotel-- it was REALLY uncomfortable. This all happened within about a two-minute period. I quickly just said, "sorry I have to go home to my husband" and left the path. Thankfully I was close to the road and was easily able to move to an area where I felt safer and he stopped following me. As I said I always run in busy areas and streets -- can't always run with someone else but I do prefer that.

I never said they were "comfortable" and I'm not trying to make you mad......but the idea that these idiots are going to take it to the next step of grabbing you or snatching you or worse is just not rational. Millions of women run every day, a large percentage have to deal with at least one of these dolts along the way....one of them hurting you is less likely than a lightning strike.  Yeah, the guy in your scenario is creepy, who the hell does that?  BUT.....even as dumb as he is he went on his way.

The best advice I've seen on this thread for someone actually slowing down and following you was the poster who said she would take a picture of their license and ten at least act like she was making a call.......that'll be the end of that. 

I just don't think women should be afraid, and I certainly haven't raised my daughters to be afraid.  Be smart, be strong, but don't live like you have to constantly be on guard or afraid.  These guys are dumb as a box of rocks...... don't be afraid of them.  But don't think they are going to stop being stupid any time soon....it defines them, it's who they are.  They aren't dangerous, they're stupid.

You're right, and I don't live my life in fear... maybe because I don't, I'm surprised when these things happen! (No, it's not common, and this guy was incredibly creepy.) But I just didn't like how you seemed to dismiss the idea that we must be cautious. You and I are saying the same things-- stay in populated areas, stand tall, etc. Also, I didn't used to carry my phone when running, but then I started to when my kids were preteens and I started leaving them alone for short periods. I got in the habit of carrying it (and then using it for music/podcasts, and sometimes for GPS), so now I just always have it. I realize that the headphones and the expensive phone can make me a "target" in other ways, but I'm not that concerned.

Cool.....you never impressed me as someone who scared easily.  Yeah, we are saying the same thing.

This I know, without a shadow of doubt after dealing with "tough guys" for most of my adult life.......they aren't.   People who go out of their way to try to physically intimidate others are NOT tough guys.  Believe it.  Stand up to them. 

That's a bit off topic from where we started, but some of the posts have alluded to these types of people.  Pizz on them.

Ariel Castro, to name just one very famous one that was creepy AND dangerous. Michelle Knight - who was not a little girl at the time she was kidnapped - has said she felt something was not right about this guy, but brushed it off as her being silly. I guess she should have listened to her perceived threat rather than the Left Brain that said you are being ridiculous

Edited by sheesleeva 2014-06-13 10:47 AM
2014-06-13 12:02 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Pro

Originally posted by sheesleeva

Ariel Castro, to name just one very famous one that was creepy AND dangerous. Michelle Knight - who was not a little girl at the time she was kidnapped - has said she felt something was not right about this guy, but brushed it off as her being silly. I guess she should have listened to her perceived threat rather than the Left Brain that said you are being ridiculous

You sound llike my mother-in-law every time she watches the news and sees a missing kid........and doesn't want us to let our kids out of our sight because they might get grabbed.  Irrational. 

Do you come in from the rain because you might get struck by lightning?  It's far more dangerous than running in public.

I've already said, run where there is traffic of some sort....and be as aware as you feel you need to be....but don't be afraid, that's dumb, and irrational (most fear is).  Or....live like every person who slows down might be trying to hurt you.....that's your choice.

2014-06-13 12:59 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I think what is getting lost here is the timing of the "fear".  I do not think that most women are saying they live in fear when running that something is going to happen.  Most women are proabably quite happy while they run, even when in less than ideal situations but most are cautious/aware of their surroundings like everyone should be.

What I am hearing women say is they "fear" when someone has crossed the line is now following or directly confronting them beyond a wave or smile or even brief casual conversation.  That is not irrational.  If I am alone on a trail or driving in my car and I start getting followed by someone I'm not necessary afraid but my spidey senses kick in and it can be unnerving.  People have very, very different tolerances as to when these senses kick in and I do believe that threshold is different for women than for men for good reason.

2014-06-13 1:12 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro

That's a fair point.....consider this:  You know what else we deal with continuously now thanks to non stop converage any time a SINGLE incident happens anywhere in the ocuntry?  People calling to say that they were followed, or their kids were followed, or any number of scenarios that you can imagine.....like the guy who was "taking pictures of kids in the neighborhood".....no, he was taking pictures of a house that he would be listing soon.  Or the guy who "slowed down to follow two girls who were walking"....no, he was lost and trying to read the street signs.  The truth is, we probably get 50-100 calls per week like that, and most of the time we can't find the person who was called on.  But VIRTUALLY EVERY TIME we do find the vehicle, or the person, they weren't doing anything that the caller thought they were....and had a perfectly normal reason for whatever the behavior that the caller thought was threatening.

You can't escape the truth.....and the truth is that MILLIONS of women run in public every day.....virtually NONE of them get hurt by a stranger.

The media that we are bombarded with can make you believe that we live in dangerous times and that you always have to be on guard and that there is peril for your children to walk alone, or for you to run in public.......that's just crap.  The good advice my dad gave me as a boy growing up still applies in almost everything...."there is nothing to be afraid of".

2014-06-13 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills

The media that we are bombarded with can make you believe that we live in dangerous times and that you always have to be on guard and that there is peril for your children to walk alone, or for you to run in public.......that's just crap.  The good advice my dad gave me as a boy growing up still applies in almost everything...."there is nothing to be afraid of".

Well said...and couldn't be more true.
2014-06-13 1:50 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Originally posted by popsracer

I think what is getting lost here is the timing of the "fear".  I do not think that most women are saying they live in fear when running that something is going to happen.  Most women are proabably quite happy while they run, even when in less than ideal situations but most are cautious/aware of their surroundings like everyone should be.

What I am hearing women say is they "fear" when someone has crossed the line is now following or directly confronting them beyond a wave or smile or even brief casual conversation.  That is not irrational.  If I am alone on a trail or driving in my car and I start getting followed by someone I'm not necessary afraid but my spidey senses kick in and it can be unnerving.  People have very, very different tolerances as to when these senses kick in and I do believe that threshold is different for women than for men for good reason.

Well said. I don't even notice people yelling out of car windows when I run, but if that car slows down and follows me, then my spidey senses kick in (to borrow a phrase). I am far from being afraid of the world. I travel alone, run alone, hike alone. I have stopped to help stranded motorists on the side of the road. However, that doesn't mean that I assume that bad guys don't exist and that I don't need to be cautious. To go back to my recent example from the race two weeks ago, I was merely annoyed by his persistence before and after the race, but didn't feel threatened until I found him loitering by my car hours after the race had ended. I don't care if Left Brain thinks I was being irrational. I think that only an idiot wouldn't be alarmed by someone spending hours waiting for her in an empty parking lot. The fact is, one can never know when someone is going to cross the line.
2014-06-13 1:52 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I run by myself 90% of the time. My husband expresses his concern for me on a regular basis.

I do the following things in an effort to make him (and myself) feel better about my safety.

1. I NEVER wear earbuds anymore. EVER. I stopped running with music 2 years ago and haven't missed it once. I'm no longer surprised by dogs who come running out of nowhere (I actually hear them first) cars, and when I run the Greeneway, I always hear people when they're coming up behind me. Being aware of your surroundings, and being alert to noises is ,IMO, important.

2. I vary my route and running times. People are creatures of habit. Those who prey on others learn those habits.

3. When I'm running and I see pedestrians, I look them in the eye. I think this makes people (women especially) seem stronger. Many victims are seen as being weak and vulnerable and that's the reason they're 'chosen.'

4. I always leave my route marked, using Map My Run, on my computer so that my husband (or someone) knows where I'm going. I let someone know I'm leaving and when I return. That someone also knows that my route is up on my computer if they don't hear back from me.

I used to run in my neighborhood at 4:30 a.m. I never felt comfortable though...there was always a sort of 'creeped out' vibe. I started swimming at the YMCA at 5 a.m. instead and left my runs for later in the day.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-06-13 1:54 PM
2014-06-13 3:08 PM

That's a fair point.....consider this:  You know what else we deal with continuously now thanks to non stop converage any time a SINGLE incident happens anywhere in the ocuntry?  People calling to say that they were followed, or their kids were followed, or any number of scenarios that you can imagine.....like the guy who was "taking pictures of kids in the neighborhood".....no, he was taking pictures of a house that he would be listing soon.  Or the guy who "slowed down to follow two girls who were walking"....no, he was lost and trying to read the street signs.  The truth is, we probably get 50-100 calls per week like that, and most of the time we can't find the person who was called on.  But VIRTUALLY EVERY TIME we do find the vehicle, or the person, they weren't doing anything that the caller thought they were....and had a perfectly normal reason for whatever the behavior that the caller thought was threatening.

As far as I know, the police would rather we make those calls that turn out to be nothing than not. My mom has worked dispatch for the last 20 years, and I can attest that she would much rather get THOSE paranoiac calls than the "my 14 year old kid won't make his bed, and I need an officer to make him do it" calls.
2014-06-13 3:17 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by runbugjones

As far as I know, the police would rather we make those calls that turn out to be nothing than not. My mom has worked dispatch for the last 20 years, and I can attest that she would much rather get THOSE paranoiac calls than the "my 14 year old kid won't make his bed, and I need an officer to make him do it" calls.

Sure, call every time.......but those calls really aren't much different than a 14 year old who won't listen to his mom.  In fact, 14 year olds who won't listen to their moms is a MUCH bigger problem than someone getting grabbed or hurt on a run.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-06-13 3:18 PM

2014-06-13 6:09 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pearland,Tx
2014-06-13 7:57 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pro

Originally posted by strykergt crossed the wrong woman http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=elnENHrliKc

HAHAHAHA!!!  That woman needs valium. 

2014-06-13 8:51 PM
in reply to: #5011293

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Cabela's has something called Jogger Fogger. Its a small handheld pepper spray, kind of like a handheld water bottle.
2014-06-13 9:22 PM
in reply to: #5012176

We moved cross country in January, and I miss my running buddy! I live in a fairly safe smaller city now, but when I went out at 0500 a couple of weeks ago I only saw one other human on the poorly lit trails - she was finishing a workout as I was starting. No one threatened me, obviously, but I was uncomfortable running alone in the dark. I have to be at work at 0700 most days, so I have to do some early workouts. Even if the perception of being unsafe is only in my head, if I'm not enjoying the run maybe I should hit the pool instead. Annoying!
2014-06-13 9:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm surprised that so many women in this thread get harassed so regularly. In 20 years of running, in the country, in city parks and in my current semi-sketchy neighborhood, I can hardly remember any times I've been honked at/ whistled at/ etc. I am 5'9" and have a rather sturdy build, and I assume that makes a difference? Or maybe men in Pennsylvania are just awesome.
That said I've been in 2 situations (one here, one when I lived in Taiwan) that got very close to dangerous. I feel like I can't (even shouldn't) tell every guy who says "Hey, what's up?" to eff off, but you don't know which are the 99+/100 who can respond to normal social cues and leave you alone if you ignore them, and which are the rare ones who are crazy and dangerous. I do know that things can happen quickly and the best advice I've read on this thread is to trust your gut- if something seems off, react to that. And, I have learned- don't be polite. Do what you need to do to get yourself safe. I was running on a pretty well-traveled loop through a park here, but in the middle of the day so there weren't a lot of other people around. I ran up behind a man (he was going a little slower than me) and he started talking some weird stuff then said he wanted to race me and kind of put his hand on my back to push me along. No one was coming up behind us but a guy was running towards us and I stopped him and told him this guy was bothering me and could he run me back to my car. The weird guy was of course all "What? I'm not doing anything!" and the other guy was barely willing but he did turn around and run (fast! ha, faster than my 5k pace) back to the main road with me trailing behind and watched me unlock my car. It was super awkward but I was safe.

2014-06-14 9:02 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Veteran
Sometimes I run with a bear spray-if I run very late at night. I usually run with a pepper spray . It would also work with dogs. While my runs I ecountered many dangerous looking dogs alone.

I tried running at 5am but there was absolutely no traffic on the streets so I felt not safe.
2014-06-20 1:01 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by chayes I'm surprised that so many women in this thread get harassed so regularly.  

I've thought about this thread twice today. Once because of this article - this is the running path my sister runs on every day. She is starting to carry mace with her again. And then on my walk from work to the gas station over lunch today I was cat called, hey-baby'd, honked at multiple times, and stalker-stared at twice (that slow drive by with the window down with the dude's eyes LOCKED on me). I did not react to any of it but it made me more uneasy since I did not have my running shoes on today!

So for folks that are "surprised" this happens... I am surprised at the surprise. It is such a common occurrence for me and nearly every female I know. I am not sure I go more than 2 or 3 days without something like this happening. 

Carry on

2014-06-20 1:26 PM
in reply to: slonce5

Originally posted by slonce5

Sometimes I run with a bear spray-if I run very late at night. I usually run with a pepper spray . It would also work with dogs. While my runs I ecountered many dangerous looking dogs alone.

I tried running at 5am but there was absolutely no traffic on the streets so I felt not safe.

Bear spray is for the most part the same as pepper spray the main difference is that it will shoot further. But being able to shoot further also means that it runs out quicker. Bear spray also fogs rather than a straight stream. Bear spray is usually slightly stronger but the fogging may counter this.

I think the rule of thumb is that bear spray that shoots 25 feet should last for 6 seconds. Normal pepper spray isn't going to shoot as far but will last longer and is going to be a straight stream.
2014-06-20 2:10 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by chayes I'm surprised that so many women in this thread get harassed so regularly.  

I've thought about this thread twice today. Once because of this article - this is the running path my sister runs on every day. She is starting to carry mace with her again. And then on my walk from work to the gas station over lunch today I was cat called, hey-baby'd, honked at multiple times, and stalker-stared at twice (that slow drive by with the window down with the dude's eyes LOCKED on me). I did not react to any of it but it made me more uneasy since I did not have my running shoes on today!

So for folks that are "surprised" this happens... I am surprised at the surprise. It is such a common occurrence for me and nearly every female I know. I am not sure I go more than 2 or 3 days without something like this happening. 

Carry on

This one has a picture.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Harassment Rss Feed  

of 4