General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those of you taking Testosterone supplements for 'LOW T' Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-29 7:10 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2014-06-29 7:10 AM

2014-06-29 8:15 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: For those of you taking Testosterone supplements for 'LOW T'
Actually getting a TUE for testosterone is rare. Antidoping rules apply to everyone who signs up for any sanctioned event...

While there are legit medical cases that are denied a TUE, the use of T by anti aging docs

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2012-05-10/are-testosterone...
2014-06-29 1:37 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Master
, California

I have 2 BT friends who have suffered through Pulmonary emboli, and it's not a fun thing to get.

And that's if you live through it.  They kill about 25% of the time.

2014-06-29 1:56 PM

Elite
The whole "Low T" industry is a brilliant money-making venture...but I can't figure out who's profiting the most...is it:
A) the ever willing to help humanity pharmaceutical companies,
or
B) the middle-aged actors and actresses who have hit their limits on all the tv commercials for erection pills?

It just seems to me the "Low T" stuff proves nothing in life is free. Ya want the benefits? Here are the risks.

Fred, am I crazy to think there are lots of folks out there taking this stuff who probably don't need to take this stuff? It seems to me, the product's probably great for someone who has lost a testicle, or has malfunctioning testicles...but is that really common? Do testosterone rates fluctuate? When they're tested (I'd assume it's a blood test) what ranges do they peg as "normal" or "lacking?" Do they have age range norms as well?

2014-06-29 1:59 PM

Expert
A good book on the topic of regular age-group athletes and testosterone supplementation is "The Doper Next Door", by Andrew Tilin.

The answer to your question is no.
2014-06-29 4:12 PM

Expert
Greenville, SC

this is done by a huge amount of the triathlete population, and because of that there really isn't a big push to do anything about it.. remember race companies are out to make money first, and ensure fair competition probably like 10th on the list of priorities.  my coach has told me that they have actually turned quite a few people down for coaching when they learn they are on any type of T supplements. 

2014-06-29 4:21 PM
in reply to: Clempson

Originally posted by Clempson

this is done by a huge amount of the triathlete population, and because of that there really isn't a big push to do anything about it.. remember race companies are out to make money first, and ensure fair competition probably like 10th on the list of priorities.  my coach has told me that they have actually turned quite a few people down for coaching when they learn they are on any type of T supplements. 

How are they finding out of this type of supplement addition? It is not legal in USAT and those admitting to such doping need to face suspensions.
2014-06-29 4:27 PM
in reply to: Billyk

Expert
Greenville, SC

i'm sure the survey isn't being done by USAT. most likely independent data/surveys which already exists.

2014-06-29 5:44 PM
in reply to: spudone

Veteran
Great White North
Then they can obtain a TUE, take a break from competition if they are able to come off of the scrip or not compete anymore.
2014-06-29 7:39 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Pro

Taking any type of supplement to place better in an AG triathlon is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.......except maybe if you use steroids to become the home run king of your Wednesday night slow pitch softball league.

2014-06-29 7:50 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

I seriously don't get why people do this.

Why is placement number in a race the goal at any cost? Don't people get satisfaction simply by improving as athletes?

Although I also don't get all of the $$ people spend on their bikes in the name of buying speed.

2014-06-30 12:27 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

Can I add to the list of 'this". I read about this stuff, people knowingly cutting the route short and any myriad of ways to cheat and I have to wonder what's the point? Even if you are a pro and are doing it for the money, that's a poor reason to sell your integrity.

I took up this sport for a lot of reason; to have fun, to get healthy, to see what I could get out of this old body and to compete against myself. Don't get me wrong, I love to compete and I love to win but I have to do it honestly.

My grandfather taught me something when I was very young. There is only one thing in life you have absolute control of, your integrity. You can sell it or you can give it away, but nobody can take it from you.

If that makes me an old fart who is out of touch with reality, so be it. But at 6:30 tomorrow morning I will be back out on my bike because what ever I achieve I want to earn. Thankfully I think this is true of the vast majority of triathletes.

2014-06-30 5:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

Why is placement number in a race the goal at any cost? Don't people get satisfaction simply by improving as athletes?

Although I also don't get all of the $$ people spend on their bikes in the name of buying speed.

I suspect average Joe doesn't take T to win his AG. He takes it to feel/look better and in doing so gets an unfair advantage.

I do know someone who takes it. He is not an athlete. He takes it "feel younger". The marketing machine has convinced people this is the case. If he did compete, moving up a few ranks in his AG is probably an additional benefit.

There are a lot of people in the US taking T as a "fountain of youth" drug. In Canada we don't see it on TV, advertisemensts....although I am sure it is being used. For example T level testing is not covered by our health care system

I see guys my age getting face lifts and all other kind of things to not accept aging. It's unfortunate.

I'll fall short of calling it stupid, because it's their decision, their health, their beliefs and to call someone stupid is just that.

2014-06-30 6:53 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I seriously don't get why people do this. Why is placement number in a race the goal at any cost? Don't people get satisfaction simply by improving as athletes? Although I also don't get all of the $$ people spend on their bikes in the name of buying speed.

I think we would all be very shocked what the T usage numbers really are within the male AG ranks.

2014-06-30 7:32 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Exton, PA
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I seriously don't get why people do this. Why is placement number in a race the goal at any cost? Don't people get satisfaction simply by improving as athletes? Although I also don't get all of the $$ people spend on their bikes in the name of buying speed.

I think we would all be very shocked what the T usage numbers really are within the male AG ranks.

I only know of 1 person that admitted that he used drugs to improve his performance, however I believe there is a large population of triathletes using something. Nothing to back it up, just knowing the mind set of a lot of type A personalities that are out doing tris.

2014-06-30 7:34 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Master
Centennial, CO

Cool then this must be what it feels like to pass someone on a P5 while riding a mountain bike.  

2014-06-30 8:35 AM
in reply to: velocomp

, New York
I'm a new guy here but unfortunately I have experience with low testosterone due to testicular cancer. I lost lefty in February of 2012 and recovered well following surgery. My pathology report was good so I chose not to get radiation or chemo. (Doing "nothing" was a tough decision but *for me* was the right decision.) Anyhow, that year I did some running and actually felt pretty good. That was until the next winter... Call it seasonal disorder, depression or whatever but I was in a deep, deep, valley emotionally. My next check-up (I was getting blood work, ct scans, etc. every 3 months) I asked for T-level to be checked and it was very low - somewhere around 100. I think below 300 is considered low. I was on a mission to get a prescription just knowing this will fix me.

Well I eventually got my prescription - the brand you apply under your arm - and boy was I confident this was going to make me feel better... I'll cut to the chase and say I did not last two months on it. After 2-3 week on it my heart-rate seemed perpetually elevated, I had Niagara Falls coming from each of my pits, and had real difficulty sleeping. Not to mention that my T-levels were all over the place. I had blood work come back as with T levels over 1600 (YES, I followed the directions to a "t").

So for me this experiment was done.

I am probably like most 43-year-old guys who are working towards their 1st tri. Not in great shape (yet!) but not in horrible shape either. I'm now getting active and getting outside as my prescription for feeling better. So far so good. :-) T is higher, outlook is better, and I'm thankful that God has given me health and strength to start and so far maintain my training routine. I have about six weeks to go before my 1st tri and can say that I'm really pumped! The group I am training with did the Cazenovia, NY bike and run course and my times for each were exactly what I was hoping for during the sprint.

Since I'm still rambling on here, let me ask a question... The bike course was 14 miles and according to my GPS watch had about 750 feet elevation gain. With two quick stops to fix my chain, which came off my front sprocket, I finished in 48:38. Now I don't yet have clipless pedals and assuming I get some before this race, is it reasonable to knock off a minute or two off this time if everything else is still the same? For giggles, here's a map of the course > http://connect.garmin.com/activity/530133060
2014-06-30 8:44 AM
in reply to: mike761

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by mike761

I only know of 1 person that admitted that he used drugs to improve his performance, however I believe there is a large population of triathletes using something. Nothing to back it up, just knowing the mind set of a lot of type A personalities that are out doing tris.

I've been doing mostly local races for the past ten years and have never seen any evidence or suspected anyone of using PED's.  Maybe it's more prevalent at the regional or national level, but guess I'd want to see some hard data before jumping on the "everyone is doing it" band wagon.

Mark

2014-06-30 8:48 AM
in reply to: mbcoulter

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mbcoulter

I am probably like most 43-year-old guys who are working towards their 1st tri. Not in great shape (yet!) but not in horrible shape either. I'm now getting active and getting outside as my prescription for feeling better. So far so good. :-) T is higher, outlook is better, and I'm thankful that God has given me health and strength to start and so far maintain my training routine. I have about six weeks to go before my 1st tri and can say that I'm really pumped! The group I am training with did the Cazenovia, NY bike and run course and my times for each were exactly what I was hoping for during the sprint.

Since I'm still rambling on here, let me ask a question... The bike course was 14 miles and according to my GPS watch had about 750 feet elevation gain. With two quick stops to fix my chain, which came off my front sprocket, I finished in 48:38. Now I don't yet have clipless pedals and assuming I get some before this race, is it reasonable to knock off a minute or two off this time if everything else is still the same? For giggles, here's a map of the course > http://connect.garmin.com/activity/530133060

Congratulations on beating cancer.

If you don't have to stop and fix your chain, that is certainly worth some time. An adjustment and a chain stopper could help. Yes, the pedals will also help.

Are the T levels coming back naturally ?
There is a well known, very fast, ex poster who says his T levels have naturally gone up through some strength excercising. Do you do anything special ?
2014-06-30 8:54 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RedCorvette

I've been doing mostly local races for the past ten years and have never seen any evidence or suspected anyone of using PED's.  Maybe it's more prevalent at the regional or national level, but guess I'd want to see some hard data before jumping on the "everyone is doing it" band wagon.

Mark

I suspect there are guys that are doing it, not to win or move up in their AG ranks, but because they think it benefits their health.

There was a guy, the head of sales of a race wheel company. He was used for a full page ad for a T supplemetation clinic. He didn't even know it was illegal. He was interviewed, said how much better he felt....bla bla bla....and when he found out it was illegal, retracted. It was quite funny. The thread is still on ST.

There are guys at the pointy edge trying to get an unfair advantage. But there are BOP guys taking it, not to be FOP but because they think it will benefit their well being. Hopefully articles like the one Fred published will educate them.

2014-06-30 9:11 AM

Exton, PA

Mark

Didn't mean to imply everyone was doing it, but if they tested an everyone in an entire event(never happen) and 20% came back positive I would not be surprised.

2014-06-30 9:36 AM
in reply to: marcag

, New York
Originally posted by marcag
Are the T levels coming back naturally ?

There is a well known, very fast, ex poster who says his T levels have naturally gone up through some strength exercising. Do you do anything special ?

Yes, they have rebounded on their own. I'm right back to where I was just before surgery (low 300s). Everybody is different and the research on this sucks. I spent a LOT of time trying to understand what is low, vs. normal vs. optimal. IMHO nobody really knows. Feeling good is what matters now. I get my numbers checked during my regularly scheduled visits because if they are too low I do believe a real long-term risk is osteoporosis.

Now time for the Public Service Announcement - guys check your guys!

If something (anything) changes go see the Dr. I know getting felt-up by some DR. is the LAST thing we want to do, but if TC gets caught early you'll be in much better shape. TC is considered a "germ cell" cancer and is VERY curable by surgery. If you had to spin the wheel of cancer, this is what you would want to get... However, if/when it spreads it almost always goes to the lymph nodes and THAT surgery and related adjuvant therapies SUCK. (google RPLND surgery) Sorry guys, fear is actually one of the best motivators for proper care. So check 'em. We have two for a reason!
2014-06-30 9:51 AM
in reply to: mike761

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Mark

Didn't mean to imply everyone was doing it, but if they tested an everyone in an entire event(never happen) and 20% came back positive I would not be surprised.

Wasn't there an anonymous poll done after one of the Euro Ironman races last year and over 30% admitted to being on something.

2014-06-30 3:16 PM

Master
Salt Lake City

Mark

Triathlon aside, there is a very sizeable chunk of the male population on "low T" meds. At one point at least three guys in my office (of about 20 males) were on it in some form or another.

A significant chunk of AG triathletes may be on it for other reasons and not have a clue that its technically illegal for triathlon.
2014-06-30 8:14 PM
in reply to: JZig

Master
, California

Each to their own on personal medical decisions, IMO.  But people should a) know that it's illegal in competition, and b) be aware of the risks that Fred mentioned... esp because the drug companies' advertising really glosses over this stuff.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those of you taking Testosterone supplements for 'LOW T' Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

daily supplements, what are you taking and why?

Started by clemson05
Views: 940 Posts: 8

2013-03-27 10:54 AM Burd

Low testosterone for a female

Started by noelle1230
Views: 1034 Posts: 4

2013-02-11 2:20 PM trinnas

Testosterone Supplements Pages: 1 2 3

Started by plumberchris
Views: 11905 Posts: 61

2013-01-11 11:46 AM bufordt

to supplement or not to supplement Pages: 1 2

Started by trophytaker
Views: 2719 Posts: 26

2008-03-04 9:13 AM Concretechris

What supplements are you taking? Pages: 1 2

Started by Browe79
Views: 1536 Posts: 28

2004-09-25 8:50 AM Laerka
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
"What are the current ideas on supplements for the triathlete?" This article will give you some real food options for many of the important nutrients.

date : September 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Maintaining bone health throughout the lifespan should be a priority for all athletes, starting as youngsters and continuing as master's athletes.