General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Less and less "hometown" triathlons?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-09 10:34 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Subject: Less and less "hometown" triathlons??

I posted this in the WA forum but realized that this isn't necessarily specific to our region...

I have a bit of an "in" in short distance race organizing. It sounds like numbers are dropping and organizers are getting away from the tri scene. It breaks my heart!

Costs keep going up and numbers down. I was told that one race made about $1K-$1500. Could you imagine months of work to get you, pretty much, less than minimum wage??

Adventure races and long distances are the "thing"...how can you get a few more people to do some of the local tri races?

2014-07-09 10:37 AM
in reply to: lkct01234

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Less and less "hometown" triathlons??

Originally posted by lkct01234

I posted this in the WA forum but realized that this isn't necessarily specific to our region...

I have a bit of an "in" in short distance race organizing. It sounds like numbers are dropping and organizers are getting away from the tri scene. It breaks my heart!

Costs keep going up and numbers down. I was told that one race made about $1K-$1500. Could you imagine months of work to get you, pretty much, less than minimum wage??

Adventure races and long distances are the "thing"...how can you get a few more people to do some of the local tri races?

It had got to the point where there were TOO MANY triathlons.  I'm glad there is starting to be a correction.

2014-07-09 10:52 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Originally posted by Left Brain

It had got to the point where there were TOO MANY triathlons.  I'm glad there is starting to be a correction.

I guess that is true, but it seems like the ones in our part of the metro area are few and far between. Only so many within 30 miles of us...and yes, there are a number of lakes within 30 miles of us :-)

2014-07-09 10:55 AM
in reply to: #5023483

It went way up at one point, now its going down. It'll go back up again, only a matter of time.
2014-07-09 11:04 AM

User image

Pro

I guess that is true, but it seems like the ones in our part of the metro area are few and far between. Only so many within 30 miles of us...and yes, there are a number of lakes within 30 miles of us :-)

Out of curiousity, how many of those that are within 30 miles of you do you actually participate in?

2014-07-09 11:11 AM
in reply to: standbyzero

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Maybe I'm just bummed because the ones I like are failing.

2014-07-09 11:12 AM

Arden, North Carolina

I've seen the exact opposite where I am. There are at least 10 within an hours drive, and 20-30 within a 2 hours drive. And there have been more and more in the past couple years. I live in Asheville so part of that could be that people like coming for vacation and a race. There are two weekends I can think of off hand that there are 3 races in one weekend(a oly/half one day, sprint the next) and another with a sprint sat and a sprint sunday, 30 minutes apart.
I'm glad to have all the choices, so long as the RD's are making decent money. I don't want them to be giving their time away.
2014-07-09 11:13 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Out of curiousity, how many of those that are within 30 miles of you do you actually participate in?

2 and of course they are 2 that are dwindling.

I probably sound whine-y and maybe I am.

2014-07-09 11:15 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

I've seen the exact opposite where I am. There are at least 10 within an hours drive, and 20-30 within a 2 hours drive. And there have been more and more in the past couple years. I live in Asheville so part of that could be that people like coming for vacation and a race. There are two weekends I can think of off hand that there are 3 races in one weekend(a oly/half one day, sprint the next) and another with a sprint sat and a sprint sunday, 30 minutes apart. I'm glad to have all the choices, so long as the RD's are making decent money. I don't want them to be giving their time away.

When you say the 3 races in one weekend, is it the same event or different events?

2014-07-09 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
Montana
It seems like it was a boom & bust idea here; too many choices for races, not enough participants to support them all. Plus, where I am from a person has to drive for hours to get to a race, literally. With the cost of gas so high, people aren't willing to travel as much.

I am RD for a very small triathlon. We will profit about $2000. My hours are volunteer and I have a passion for promoting triathlon and fitness. Our main mission is to encourage healthy living in our community, so we will keep it up as long as we don't lose money.
2014-07-09 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Still going strong where I live.  Tons of local races.  I think this is because all the events are well ran and promoted by a single entity which pretty much has control of all the short course racing in my state and all those around it so races which have low turnout one year can be propped up by success at at other races to prevent them from being cancelled by a few bouts of bad weather or conflicts with larger IM races in the area.  

2014-07-09 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

100% agree.  Way too many races popped up from 2010-2013 while the # of triathletes remained the same or just slightly increased.  More races = less athletes per race.  Simple supply and demand economics at work.  We need to go back to 2010 numbers.  Newer or less well known or less well organized races started to feel the pinch last year and this year they're getting hammered.  Most of those races will be gone by next year.  The Houston area has seen a massive triathlon market correction over the last year or two.  And this is not a bad thing.

2014-07-09 12:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

We have a LOT more local triathlons in my area than we ever have. Used to be just one (that you didn't have to drive 3 hours and stay in a hotel the night before) - now I can think of 5 off the top of my head within a 20-mile radius. The participant numbers aren't very impressive, but I love the new additions and options. 

Edited by lisac957 2014-07-09 12:07 PM
2014-07-09 12:20 PM

Arden, North Carolina

I've seen the exact opposite where I am. There are at least 10 within an hours drive, and 20-30 within a 2 hours drive. And there have been more and more in the past couple years. I live in Asheville so part of that could be that people like coming for vacation and a race. There are two weekends I can think of off hand that there are 3 races in one weekend(a oly/half one day, sprint the next) and another with a sprint sat and a sprint sunday, 30 minutes apart. I'm glad to have all the choices, so long as the RD's are making decent money. I don't want them to be giving their time away.

When you say the 3 races in one weekend, is it the same event or different events?

Same event. Saturday they have the oly and half...the half is brand new this year, and was wildly popular. They created additional slots, and then took slots from the oly cause it sold out again. sunday they put on a sprint, which i've never done. I've always done the oly.
2014-07-09 12:22 PM
in reply to: Clempson

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by Clempson

Still going strong where I live.  Tons of local races.  I think this is because all the events are well ran and promoted by a single entity which pretty much has control of all the short course racing in my state and all those around it so races which have low turnout one year can be propped up by success at at other races to prevent them from being cancelled by a few bouts of bad weather or conflicts with larger IM races in the area.  

All but the paris mountain international! Have you ever done that one? I raced it in it's final year. There were something like 50 participants. They canceled the swim cause the water was 48 degrees. But it's a brutally difficult race, especially that run. Guess people just weren't up for the challenge so they canned it.
2014-07-09 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Clempson

All but the paris mountain international! Have you ever done that one? I raced it in it's final year. There were something like 50 participants. They canceled the swim cause the water was 48 degrees. But it's a brutally difficult race, especially that run. Guess people just weren't up for the challenge so they canned it.

yeah that was the only one I could think of getting cancelled.  I tried to do it 2 years ago but it stormed the night before so the descent down the mountain was cluttered in debris and they cancelled it.  two years of poor weather and a 1200ft climb over 1.2 miles did that one in. 

2014-07-09 12:57 PM
in reply to: Clempson

Arden, North Carolina
That was too bad they canceled it. I was also signed up for that one that was canceled from tornadoes. I supposed that's a legit reason to cancel a race I tried another race that day too and it also got canceled..there were storms everywhere that day.
As hard as it was, i really liked that race. I had a real sense of accomplishment for getting through that one. The 1200 foot climb wasn't even all that made it hard, the 10 or so miles that led to the climb were all up and down, and steep. So you got to the start of that climb already tired.
But the run was far far worse. 400 foot climb over a mile. Going down was no picnic either, that was a fast, steep descent.
Definitely a great race to try and finish. I was bummed when it was canned, that would've been a regular for me.
2014-07-09 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I don't have any facts to back any of this up but it seems to me that tri is slowing down a bit in general. I have been on BT since 2008, the activity in the forums is the slowest I have ever seen it. 

I picked IMCDA as my first IM 4-5 years ago, at the time you just about had to go the year before and volunteer in order to get a spot. I registered in Sep for this years race, it did not sell out until Apr or May this year for a June race. The Boise HIM used to sell out by Jan for a June race, WTC sent me at least 5 emails begging for people to sign up, it did not sell out until 2 weeks before the race. 

Not sure if there are too many races or if people are getting out of tri and newbies aren't coming in quick enough. 

2014-07-09 1:35 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by Aarondb4

I don't have any facts to back any of this up but it seems to me that tri is slowing down a bit in general. I have been on BT since 2008, the activity in the forums is the slowest I have ever seen it. 

I picked IMCDA as my first IM 4-5 years ago, at the time you just about had to go the year before and volunteer in order to get a spot. I registered in Sep for this years race, it did not sell out until Apr or May this year for a June race. The Boise HIM used to sell out by Jan for a June race, WTC sent me at least 5 emails begging for people to sign up, it did not sell out until 2 weeks before the race. 

Not sure if there are too many races or if people are getting out of tri and newbies aren't coming in quick enough. 

This is also a rich mans sport and with the current economy this is one of the things that would get put on the back burner, especially with the way the prices for races are rising. Around here is cheaper than most, but there's a race in august I was dead set on doing, but i keep missing deadlines and what was a $50 race in april is now an $80 race, and not sure I want to spend that much money for an hour long race.

It could pick back up if the economy picks back up, but I know people who want to get into the sport, but just can't justify the costs of getting into it, plus the costs of races. With a pair of sneakers anyone can jump into a local 5k or 10k.
2014-07-09 1:43 PM

User image

Miami
In Miami / South Florida (from Orlando to Miami) area there are races all year long. From March through October you can pretty much race every other week, especially sprints and olys and you can race a HIM almost once a month. Not sure how much money these races yield, but it seems like a ton of races.

The tri community here is huge and I guess we also benefit from being a place where people come for vacation and sign up for tris while they are visiting, but still...

I participated in different local races put together by different companies and they all seem pretty well organized. I am not very picky either, as long as the race is safe, it is a good race.
2014-07-09 1:46 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Pro

The other thing....the Youth and Jr. Elite series is about to EXPAND....maybe by as many as 3-5 more draft legal  races nationally.  The current format of 3 qualifying races and one national championship race can't handle all of the kids who want to race.  Triathlon at the 13-19 year old level is poised to explode in this country.

2014-07-09 6:13 PM

User image

Kenmore, Washington

Are you only looking for races within 30 miles? I'm also in WA and there are multiple triathlons every weekend within a 3 hour drive.
2014-07-09 9:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Originally posted by pnwdan

Are you only looking for races within 30 miles? I'm also in WA and there are multiple triathlons every weekend within a 3 hour drive.

Thanks! But I'm familiar with pretty much all of the races on the Western side, a few I may not have heard of but, internet searches help :-)   And yes, about 30 miles (maybe 50) but I don't want to have to pay for overnight in addition to a race. Maybe if I had regular employment/income that would be different..

Part of the reason why I'm picky, is that I don't really want to do certain organizations tri's. I've dealt with someone in the race organization (directors, owners, etc.) and have not been a fan. And some just don't have good reps for being organized. It may be time for me to suck up my ego/pride...

So it seems like your areas haven't felt the hit yet. Good, I think. But I still had the question of how to get more people into some of the good/local/short races...??

Aaron is almost in the same region as me and it seems you have seen a decline.

Edited by lkct01234 2014-07-09 9:11 PM
2014-07-09 9:13 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

The other thing....the Youth and Jr. Elite series is about to EXPAND....maybe by as many as 3-5 more draft legal  races nationally.  The current format of 3 qualifying races and one national championship race can't handle all of the kids who want to race.  Triathlon at the 13-19 year old level is poised to explode in this country.

BTW, let us know if your kid(s) go to the Monroe (WA) Tri. :-)

2014-07-09 9:29 PM

User image

Pro

BTW, let us know if your kid(s) go to the Monroe (WA) Tri. :-)

That was 3 weeks ago....already been.  This week we are in Des Moines.  My kids LOVE the Monroe triathlon.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Less and less "hometown" triathlons?? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Got my little sister excited about triathlon!

Started by jgalaviz
Views: 586 Posts: 3

2011-11-25 10:59 PM Mikeylee

Disappointed with how LITTLE calories triathlon training burns. Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by GatorDeb
Views: 11423 Posts: 146

2011-05-16 8:37 PM ejshowers

Swimming Question: Less Strokes = Less Energy and Less Speed? Pages: 1 2

Started by jeffy_101
Views: 3952 Posts: 29

2009-07-29 12:59 PM sand101

Little teaser- Boulder peak triathlon photos

Started by newbz
Views: 944 Posts: 6

2009-07-14 6:30 PM newbz

First Triathlon... I little worried about finishing last Pages: 1 2

Started by newbie101
Views: 2483 Posts: 32

2007-06-29 11:57 PM stampinann
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 4, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Are you a mindless eater? Do you eat too much at meals? Or do you graze throughout the day? Start getting rid of those bad habits today.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.