of 8

2014-07-14 10:02 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Swimming: arms or legs

Originally posted by yazmaster

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by yazmaster Sover 80 percent of your propulsion is arm driven. Spend most of your limited swim time building the arm technique snd power. All the fish who say how important kicking is can actually fly in the water with zero kick on pull buoy sets, basically as fast as they go if kicking.

No....all of the fish who say how important kicking is can kick a 100 faster than 90% of the people here can swim one....and if you find yourself racing them,  they would also like you to not work to develop a kick.

I still stand by my original post. Note that this doesn't mean I say it's not worth it to improve your kick some - it clearly is, and the better swimmer you become, the more important the kick becomes.

But for anything short of a FFOP swimmer trying to get better - it's almost entirely about the front-end.  You do NOT go from one category to another in triathlon swimming (like BOP to MOP)  by working on the kick - you get it by improving your pull. The kicking is secondary to the pulling.

And those fish absolutely do NOT need a kick to go fast. They'll lose a small % of speed, yes, if you remove their kick (like pulling with a buoy), but they will still remain very fast sans kick. I bring this up to reinforce how important the pull is. 

Yaz.....my kid did not start swimming until he was 14.  In his first draft legal triathlon he was 53rd out of the water in the youth division....never in the race although he frequently put down top 5 run splits.  He joined a swim club and his coach (level 5 swim coach) said these exact words...."it won't be easy to get him up to speed, his kick is horrible, that's what he missed by not starting when he was younger".  3 years later and literally hundreds of thousands of kick set yards and he was 13th out of the water last weekend.....front pack in the extremely competitive Jr. Elite level..  In just about ANY AG race he is first or close to first out of the water. 

Yes, I know that most people don't have the time to do 2000 and 3000 yard kick sets.....but you can't make a statement that tremendous gains are not possible by kicking MORE.  In fact, there are plenty of people on this board who can vouch for it....they began to train their kick, and their race improved dramatically.

Like I said....it's horribly boring and tedious training...but in addition to dramatic improvements in your swim, it also contributes tremendously to an exceptionally strong core and very strong and balanced hips.

Any USA top level swim coach will laugh at your idea that fast swimming doesn't include a great kick.....and to say you don't need it in triathlon, especially at the sprint and oly level, is laughable.  But, by all means, like I said.....don't kick.....makes no difference to me.  Stay in the pack and fight your swim while the good swimmers with the big kick get clear water...I don't care.

You can train the pull....you have to BUILD a good kick, and the benefits are tremendous across the board.

2014-07-14 10:10 PM
in reply to: #5025072

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Thanks again for the additional replies everyone! I'm a little over a month into swimming and I've come to a few realizations. I've established a repeatable and sustainable pace (11 mins / 500 m). When I started out I was going at 50 sec per 50 m I was gasping after each lap on the side of the pool but when I slowed it down to 1:15 sec per 50 m I can keep that over 500 m is my farthest continuous swim to date. This is by no means fast but the extra 25 sec really helped me find my grove. This realization is just like pacing in running so glad I figured that out.
I also have determined to date I prefer or at least I've been doing more small kicks compared to fewer big kicks. I see people swimming in the pool without kicking (def got passed by these guys/gals several times) but at this stage in my swimming I honk a kick feels natural and helps me keep my balance and rythem.
I'll keep workng on my stroke and get my arms up to par. My only other issue I see is my arms may be to sore to support me on my bike for the next event but that's a whole other beast! Thanks again folks!
2014-07-14 10:30 PM
in reply to: 0

I hear you LB, but again, the recommendations for a talented budding top youth triathlete with elite-level talent, versus the struggling self-taught AGer with no coaching or swimlessons, is vastly different. 

At his level of swimming (or potential), ANYTHING missed is a weakness. Kicking, pulling, even sharpening flip turns (despite not being a pool competitor) - at the top levels you gotta have everything.

For an AGer without top level talent, extremely limited swim time (usually 10k/week, if not

2000-3000yd kick sets obviously are not going to work if you're swimming <7k/week. At that volume, even 1000yds of kick sets is of questionable value compared to the high yields of using that limited yardage to hammer on the front end.

As has been said repeatedly - elite level training can often differ substantially from an AGer (like the typical BTer), despite the overlap.

Edited by yazmaster 2014-07-14 10:32 PM
2014-07-14 11:25 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Swimming without a kick is like running without swinging your arms. No one will argue which end of your body does most of the work but ignoring the other end is silly.
2014-07-14 11:55 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I'm going to take a totally different tact to this discussion and niether agree nor disagree with comments about kicking.

The OP did not ask how important kicking was (at least not in the title) he asked which was more important arms or legs (I'm paraphrasing)

That's missing the big picture.

We can talk arms and legs all day long but if you think of swimming as being arms + legs you'll always spend way more energy tthan if you make a simple change in focus. Now experienced swimmers (fish) will not necessarily feel that these are different but for someone who has been swimming for 1 month this is vital..

Swimming happens from your core & hips, the center of your body, with the arms & legs responding to the core's movement.

I'd love to discuss this further if anyone is interested, but I feel that for a new swimmer (11min / 500) this is a pretty important piece.
2014-07-15 5:19 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

I hear you LB, but again, the recommendations for a talented budding top youth triathlete with elite-level talent, versus the struggling self-taught AGer with no coaching or swimlessons, is vastly different. 

At his level of swimming (or potential), ANYTHING missed is a weakness. Kicking, pulling, even sharpening flip turns (despite not being a pool competitor) - at the top levels you gotta have everything.

For an AGer without top level talent, extremely limited swim time (usually 10k/week, if not

2000-3000yd kick sets obviously are not going to work if you're swimming <7k/week. At that volume, even 1000yds of kick sets is of questionable value compared to the high yields of using that limited yardage to hammer on the front end.

As has been said repeatedly - elite level training can often differ substantially from an AGer (like the typical BTer), despite the overlap.

Don't worry, even with good training, the gap between an age grouper and an elite is still huge. But suggesting that working on the kick is something only an elite swimmer should do? So I can't ride a tri bike anymore because it's faster? Can I wear a wetsuit? Am I allowed to increase my run efficiency? Can I still lift weights? Should I sell my bike trainer? How about my power meter? Maybe I shouldn't race at all because I'm not elite?

The funny thing about elite level advice is is that it's elite advice, not advice for elites.

2014-07-15 5:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by fisherman76

Don't worry, even with good training, the gap between an age grouper and an elite is still huge. But suggesting that working on the kick is something only an elite swimmer should do? So I can't ride a tri bike anymore because it's faster? Can I wear a wetsuit? Am I allowed to increase my run efficiency? Can I still lift weights? Should I sell my bike trainer? How about my power meter? Maybe I shouldn't race at all because I'm not elite?

The funny thing about elite level advice is is that it's elite advice, not advice for elites.

I think he is questioning the relative value of 3000, 2000 or even 1000yard kick sets for a person that does 10k per week.
Relative to other ways of spending valuable training time

Edited by marcag 2014-07-15 5:32 AM
2014-07-15 6:31 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Everyone should stop kicking, end of story. Its a huge waste of time with no benefits. I mean, have you ever seen a swimmer kick?

I would also advise not swinging your arms when running.

When cycling only push with your legs from about 12-3.

I find it helpful to hold your breath for at least 6-8 strokes on the swim as well.

Training more than twice a week in each sport is for elites, you don't need to worry about that.

2014-07-15 7:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Originally posted by marcag
I think he is questioning the relative value of 3000, 2000 or even 1000yard kick sets for a person that does 10k per week.
Relative to other ways of spending valuable training time

You can work on it now or work on it later, but at some point you have to bite the bullet and do the work. Once you HAVE a kick, you don't need those sets as much, same as anything else. Raising your ability and maintaining it are two different things. You don't learn to do something new by doing very little of it over a long period of time, you have to spend a lot of time doing it until you get it, then you can chip away at what's left. With triathlon, this is some low fruit...we get the entire winter and most of the spring (if not more, for us poor Northern US folks) as an offseason...if you spend an entire month focusing on swim as much as possible...you telling me that doesn't pay off?

Why does this issue keep coming up? I posted this in a blog a little while back, it bears repeating: The argument sounds something like, "In order to become a better swimmer, I'll have to swim at least 3 hours a week or more, which is a lot of time that isn't worth it. If I take the same time and bike or run, I'll improve more there. It's not worth it to work on the swim." Such misery. I disagree completely, and here's why; In a sprint distance, improving your stroke to 1:30 per 100 yards from 1:40 per 100 will yield 1:28 over a half mile distance (obviously half that for a quarter mile distance, depending on your race). Let's say you put that same amount of work into the bike and improved your FTP from 250 to 275 watts (which is a lot!). 25 watts over 12.5 miles yields an improvement of about a minute. Let's say you dropped your run pace 30 seconds a mile (also a lot!) - that's 1:30 for a sprint. Hmm...looks like the work is worth it no matter where I put it in....interesting. I used a sprint because doubling it gives you roughly an Olympic distance measurement, but the illustration is the same.

So until you start stretching it out to the half iron and iron distances, the improvements to be made on the swim are absolutely comparable to the improvements one can make on the bike and run. That's without even factoring in the aerobic and physical improvements you'll get from swimming, and some unproven but often discussed intangibles, like increased flexibility, hips opening up, less fatigue on the bike and run, etc etc. The unwillingness to do the work is staggering.
2014-07-15 8:20 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Pro

People who do triathlon don't work on their kick because it sucks to work on your kick.  Period.

There is absolutely NO good argument that can be made against the statement that a better kick will make you a faster/more efficient swimmer.  NONE!

2014-07-15 8:22 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Extreme Veteran

Don't get me wrong. I believe in the importance of a strong swim. I believe in the importance of a strong kick.

All the best swimmers, like Bo, have stated that the kick is critical to body position, rotation, propulsion, etc. This winter I put more attention on my kick than I had in the past. Did I focus on it ? No, but I increased my attention to it.

But I don't believe that 3000 yard kick sets are the best return on investment for a triathlete. If you really believe that 30% of your time in the pool should be spent doing kick sets, that is fine. You are entitled to an opinion.

I also believe you can do a lot of work on your kick without doing 3000 yard kick sets. Do 400 yards of kick set, but also think about your kick when you are warming up. Think about your kick now and then when you are doing the hard 100s. When you are working on your catch, every so often, think about what your legs are doing. Thinking about the kick is not reserved to kick sets.

2014-07-15 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by marcag Don't get me wrong. I believe in the importance of a strong swim. I believe in the importance of a strong kick. All the best swimmers, like Bo, have stated that the kick is critical to body position, rotation, propulsion, etc. This winter I put more attention on my kick than I had in the past. Did I focus on it ? No, but I increased my attention to it. But I don't believe that 3000 yard kick sets are the best return on investment for a triathlete. If you really believe that 30% of your time in the pool should be spent doing kick sets, that is fine. You are entitled to an opinion. I also believe you can do a lot of work on your kick without doing 3000 yard kick sets. Do 400 yards of kick set, but also think about your kick when you are warming up. Think about your kick now and then when you are doing the hard 100s. When you are working on your catch, every so often, think about what your legs are doing. Thinking about the kick is not reserved to kick sets.

You are just wrong. No one is saying that you should be doing 3000 yard kicksets every week forever. But you DO need to spend time with it. Maybe for a few months. There was a time last winter where I spent 50% of my time working on my hand entry, and a time where I spent hours and hours working on my hip rotation. And a very frustrating time where I learned a 2-beat kick etc. Now I don't have to spend as much time on those things, but if I didn't spend the time before, I'd be coming out of the water in 30 minutes still, instead of 23-24 minutes.

All the fitness in the world is meaningless without technique.

2014-07-15 8:26 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran

People who do triathlon don't work on their kick because it sucks to work on your kick.  Period.

There is absolutely NO good argument that can be made against the statement that a better kick will make you a faster/more efficient swimmer.  NONE!

I love kicking. I really do. It's probably the only set I enjoy while swimming.

Nobody in their right mind will say there is no value in a better kick.

But how much you invest in developing it is the big question. It's all about return on investment.

ROI will be different for every athlete, based on his strength, weakness, background, time available, distance he races, race conditions......
2014-07-15 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Let's assume you have an athlete that swims 10-12k a week.  When is that swimmer's kick good enough to focus back on stroke mechanics?  I know the better answer is "keep the kick volume while building the stroke mechanics", but that's not viable for everyone's schedule.  

2014-07-15 8:35 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Don't get me wrong. I believe in the importance of a strong swim. I believe in the importance of a strong kick.

All the best swimmers, like Bo, have stated that the kick is critical to body position, rotation, propulsion, etc. This winter I put more attention on my kick than I had in the past. Did I focus on it ? No, but I increased my attention to it.

But I don't believe that 3000 yard kick sets are the best return on investment for a triathlete. If you really believe that 30% of your time in the pool should be spent doing kick sets, that is fine. You are entitled to an opinion.

I also believe you can do a lot of work on your kick without doing 3000 yard kick sets. Do 400 yards of kick set, but also think about your kick when you are warming up. Think about your kick now and then when you are doing the hard 100s. When you are working on your catch, every so often, think about what your legs are doing. Thinking about the kick is not reserved to kick sets.

How much kicking an individual does depends on where they are at. If you swim 30,000 yards a week then 3000 yard kick sets is reasonable.

If you kick is non-exsistant and your swimming 10,000 to 15,000 yards a week you should consider do 3000 yards of that as kicking.

I usually only swim 2,000-3,000 yards a week and still do about 400 of that as kicking.

2014-07-15 8:40 AM

Master
Northern IL

Might help some to get a better idea of what your saying if some of this was in percentage, or maybe how much out of 10k/week? A couple 2-3000 yd kick sets a week for your son when he's swimming 40-50k/wk actually isn't really all that much, but it would be most all of the time allocated for swimming for a more typical age grouper. Say ~10k/wk at best.

I still like Jordan's recommendation of averaging something near 10% a week. Not 10% every time, or even exactly 10% every week, but averaging out over a longer time. So do take some time at some point and do the bigger kick sets. I (finally) made some progress on this by getting in several sets of 500-800 within a week for a few weeks time. I know most still won't be able to get in 3,000 plus like I did, but the larger point is to make a bigger push on it for a period of time. I repeated a few rounds of several weeks in a row of bigger kick sets and then back down closer to the average.

2014-07-15 8:44 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag Don't get me wrong. I believe in the importance of a strong swim. I believe in the importance of a strong kick. All the best swimmers, like Bo, have stated that the kick is critical to body position, rotation, propulsion, etc. This winter I put more attention on my kick than I had in the past. Did I focus on it ? No, but I increased my attention to it. But I don't believe that 3000 yard kick sets are the best return on investment for a triathlete. If you really believe that 30% of your time in the pool should be spent doing kick sets, that is fine. You are entitled to an opinion. I also believe you can do a lot of work on your kick without doing 3000 yard kick sets. Do 400 yards of kick set, but also think about your kick when you are warming up. Think about your kick now and then when you are doing the hard 100s. When you are working on your catch, every so often, think about what your legs are doing. Thinking about the kick is not reserved to kick sets.

Obviously, if you are only swimming 10,000 per week then it doesn't make much sense to do 3000 yard kick sets.....in fact, nobody who swims only 10,000 per week, with no swim background, will be able to do 3000 yard kick sets.  The problem is, for years and years people have thrown out the garbage that you should not kick in a triathlon so you can save your legs....therefore, nobody trains their kick. For sprint and Oly that's crap. They say they don't really need it, but the truth is it sucks to train it.  Train your legs to kick and you won't need to save them for anything because, in fact, they will be much stronger, and you will be more durable to boot, with a much stronger core as a huge side benefit.

2014-07-15 8:49 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by msteiner

Let's assume you have an athlete that swims 10-12k a week.  When is that swimmer's kick good enough to focus back on stroke mechanics?  I know the better answer is "keep the kick volume while building the stroke mechanics", but that's not viable for everyone's schedule.  

I will ask.....but I can tell you this.... I watched my son's coach ONLY let him kick for almost 6 weeks.  He came out of it able to keep up with his team on kick sets....and he never could before...and his times began to plummet.

I always laugh when the "don't have time" issue is brought up.  Of course you have time......you just need to decide how you are using it.  The idea is to build a great race.....it takes time, and it takes incremental steps.  Learning a good kick is important for a good  swim.  If you don't have time, then you don't have time to build a good swim/race.  That's all.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-15 8:51 AM
2014-07-15 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I will ask.....but I can tell you this.... I watched my son's coach ONLY let him kick for almost 6 weeks.  He came out of it able to keep up with his team on kick sets....and he never could before...and his times began to plummet.

I always laugh when the "don't have time" issue is brought up.  Of course you have time......you just need to decide how you are using it.  The idea is to build a great race.....it takes time, and it takes incremental steps.  Learning a good kick is important for a good  swim.  If you don't have time, then you don't have time to build a good swim/race.  That's all.

I agree, but you have to find a balance between triathlon, life, the universe, and everything.  I was thinking to get that much kick in you'd almost have to dedicate an entire workout or two to just kicking.   

I fully plan on trying some of your crazy swim theories this off-season.  Extreme (for most triathletes) amounts of kicking, tripling swim volume, and even focusing on flip turns.  I could use the extra volume anyway.

Edited by msteiner 2014-07-15 9:16 AM
2014-07-15 9:17 AM

User image

Pro

I agree, but you have to find a balance between triathlon, life, the universe, and everything.  

I fully plan on trying some of your crazy swim theories this off-season.  I could use the extra volume anyway.

There's not much crazy about it.  You have a good bike and decent run.....add a good swim with a good kick. Watch what it does for your run and report back.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-15 9:17 AM
2014-07-15 9:53 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
I agree, but you have to find a balance between triathlon, life, the universe, and everything.  I was thinking to get that much kick in you'd almost have to dedicate an entire workout or two to just kicking.   

I fully plan on trying some of your crazy swim theories this off-season.  Extreme (for most triathletes) amounts of kicking, tripling swim volume, and even focusing on flip turns.  I could use the extra volume anyway.

FYI, Jordan would be a great person to ask what a ton of kicking has done/can do for your swimming.
He's usually pretty good at sharing this kind of information. More important, he's "been there, done that"

2014-07-15 3:30 PM

User image

I've read all your posts. My problem is putting all together pull ,kick. I learned to swim in my 40's. I'm 48 now. I've tried videos, swimming lessons (2 different instructors).... fins, snorkel, fist gloves, pads, buoy, bands, etc.

..Tried several drills from various websites, youtubes, dvds, swimming lessons... Just couldn't transition from drills to swim faster (properly).

Edited by Phebes 2014-07-15 3:33 PM
2014-07-15 3:58 PM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Phebes

I've read all your posts. My problem is putting all together pull ,kick. I learned to swim in my 40's. I'm 48 now. I've tried videos, swimming lessons (2 different instructors).... fins, snorkel, fist gloves, pads, buoy, bands, etc.

• .Tried several drills from various websites, youtubes, dvds, swimming lessons... Just couldn't transition from drills to swim faster (properly).

• Have you tried a good masters program with a coach on deck ?
    2014-07-15 4:37 PM

User image

• .Tried several drills from various websites, youtubes, dvds, swimming lessons... Just couldn't transition from drills to swim faster (properly).

• Have you tried a good masters program with a coach on deck ?

No
    2014-07-15 4:52 PM
    in reply to: Phebes

User image

Coach
    Stairway to Seven

• Core core core as I said before.

(sarc mode on) Glad to see I could steer this thread in a productive direction (sarc mode off)
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming: arms or legs Rss Feed  

of 8