General Discussion Triathlon Talk » weight loss Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-16 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Chandler, AZ
Subject: weight loss
Hi all, I'm more of a lurker, but i have a question on weight loss and doing a triathlon(sprint). A little backstory first. I was very athletic growing up, spent 11 years in the Army and then life happened. No excuses, just being positive and getting on the right track now. Just got diagnosed with type II diabetes 2 weeks ago and joined the gym. I'm 46yo and 265lbs.
So, i had a training session and the trainer asked me my goals. I told him i want to do a sprint triathlon within 6 months and lose 50lbs.

Heres where I am asking those who went through this. The trainer said to effectively lose weight, i need to focus 50% on weight lifting(building muscle) 40% on diet and only 10% on cardio. I know you have to work your muscle groups to effectively lose weight, but it seems he is putting a big chunk of time/effort into weights.

With the type II diabetes, diet is important and I've changed a lot of things, for example, I've been soda free for 32 days( diet pepsi is my vice).

Thanks for listening and hopefully hear from some of you going through this or been through this.

2014-07-16 11:22 AM
in reply to: scottmilk9

User image

Subject: RE: weight loss
Diet is #1, that is for sure. Seems to me like you are focusing a little too much on weights but again I dont know all your exact goals. I would be somewhat weary of that only because without the weights the "trainer" loses his job.

Personally if I were you I would be focusing on Diet #1 and Cardio #2 with a distant 3rd being weight training (def has a place). What is your current schedule?
2014-07-16 11:30 AM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Veteran
Chandler, AZ
I just started the gym last week. Im riding 3 days a week, 30min and doing light weight workout prior to riding. Right now I'm riding on the stationary at the gym. I do have a mnt bike that i ride but being in Phoenix, outdoor workouts in the summer must be done early due to the heat. I have no specific training plan for a tri yet though.
2014-07-16 12:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
This is my opinion of course.

90% of weight lose comes from diet. Should I say 90% of weight lose comes no letting your diet screw you up. Old saying do not eat less than 1000 calories deficient. That being said you can melt through exercise as much as you want basically. 4 or 5 more miles running every day would give me 2 to 3 lbs extra a week.

That being said Swimming and biking is your friend. . More you move the better you will do. swimming is great way to move without getting injured. Plus as long as you can swim you might even be able to do the spring now. Maybe not in the time you would like, but you can do it.

When it comes to swimming also remember form is important. Make sure you have good form before race day.

I just did one at about 327 lbs couple weeks ago at 38 years old. If I can do it you can do it.

Edited by chirunner134 2014-07-16 12:16 PM
2014-07-16 12:34 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Veteran
Chandler, AZ
Thanks for the feedback. Out of the three disciplines, cycling is my favorite. Swimming is weak point, but my gym has a pool and I'll get in and start. I know how to swim, but never had any formal training. I'll look at different drills and see if there is a masters class for beginners.
2014-07-16 12:37 PM
in reply to: scottmilk9

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
If you ask 100 people how to lose weight you're going to get 250 answers...

That being said I believe I understand where your trainer is coming from. This may take a second to come full circle, just warning ya!

Okay, it is universally understood that there is one, and only one, way to lose weight: Calorie Debt. In other words, take in less calories per day than you use. Now, how to go into calorie debt and how far you need to cut has been debated for years (I do a lot of reading). Also, whomever you talk to will have a different way to do it. You're talking to a trainer in a gym, yes? They know that muscle burns calories by default, so of course building a solid muscle base will grant you a higher burn rate (okay, not so long to explain.... for me). A dietician will tall you that controlling what and how much you eat will allow you to lose weight. A runner will tell you... a swimmer will tell you...

You see where I'm going?

The funny part is: They're all right!

When people say to make a lifestyle change, that's what needs to happen. The individual needs to find the formula that works for them and fits in with what they can do. Also when it comes to diet, you need to eat enough, and properly enough to fuel your body to do the work while you're trying to transform it. That's why these sub-1000 calorie diets scare the crud outta me. but I digress... Ultimately, you need to find the happy medium that will let the pounds come off, and to be perfectly honest, that's going to take a bit of trial and error

I really hope this helped....

2014-07-16 3:23 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Agree with Web, the "diet" must be sustainable. If you make it a death sentence no way will you stick with it. I think most people agree diet is #1 when it comes to weight loss, so just find your happy place. Couple small things that will help, do what you can to cut down on sugars in general. No matter where you are getting them from. Eliminate fast food, cut down on the sugars and you'll be on your way
2014-07-16 4:02 PM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Veteran
Chandler, AZ
Thanks guys. The eating lifestyle has changed dramatically in the last two weeks and will keep it up. I won't starve myself, but i have to watch the blood sugar and I don't want to have to take insulin(needles suck) so thats a big motivator.

I'll keep eating healthy, doing some weights and keep riding/swimming/running until I'm fit enough to get on a schedule for my first tri.

I truly appreciate the comments.
2014-07-19 7:56 PM
in reply to: #5026365

User image

Yes yes and yes
Diet - yes
Weights - yes
Cardio - yes
I lost approx 45 lbs over the last year doing a mix of all three!
Not all diets are the same and you need to figure out what works for you (paleo for me)!

I do a mix of weights and cardio/tri cardio!

Typically I lift weight for 3-4 half hour sessions - now I superset to maximize my time and get my HR going.
Then typically a half hour + of cardio. In the gym it's a condo of bike or elliptical. Then I run quite a bit.
My gym cardio is always Hiit. Running is steady state.
Don't get us started on cardio or weights first!
2014-07-21 10:27 PM
in reply to: #5027969

Sad to say but you will get a ton of answers from things that have worked for others. This January I weighed 310 lbs. today I weigh 257 lbs. I still am looking to get down to 200 so I am basically 1/2 way to my goal. I signed up for a nutrition class at my local YMCA. Here I learned the Paleo diet and had 12 weeks of coaching / accountability. I had worked out before but always went to the gym with. No real long term goals. Somehow during the nutrition class I got hooked on the triathlon idea. I have been training since April to do my first sprint on August 10th. I am ready but will be happy when I lose the additional weight as I feel it will be much easier on my knees with a lowered weight. In short I have found that diet is mostly responsible for my own weight loss.
2014-07-23 1:33 PM
in reply to: Chitwnnole

User image

Veteran
Chandler, AZ
Thanks for all the replys, I've dropped 15lbs so far and eating much better and about to start a training plan for my first sprint tri. Good luck to all of you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » weight loss Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Weight Loss Success

Started by sakins
Views: 1392 Posts: 7

2012-07-19 9:13 PM orreo5859

Weight loss Pages: 1 2

Started by bigbadbill
Views: 3289 Posts: 26

2009-09-25 3:50 PM dointris

Loose skin from weight loss

Started by Big Appa
Views: 1904 Posts: 13

2009-06-01 4:27 PM Big Appa

Strength Training & weight Loss

Started by kmwilliams
Views: 1342 Posts: 4

2008-01-31 8:57 PM })i({RunnerGirl

Best Discipline for Weight Loss?

Started by Hawkeye
Views: 2299 Posts: 25

2007-11-01 9:43 PM beagl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : November 28, 2004
author : sekhmet
comments : 1
I challenge all BT readers who want to shed the pounds to stay committed to their training during the colder months. Share this commitment with others.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?