General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cervelo Cracked Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-16 7:35 PM

User image

Subject: Cervelo Cracked
Just posting to see if there has been anyone else in the same boat. I have a p2 2012 with some miles on it and this last weekend noticed a crack on the down tube. I found the crack when wiping the bike off after it rained during a ride... the rag got stuck in the crack. I removed the rag and it looked like a crack in the paint. Using my fingernail i was able to tell it was much deeper than paint so off to the bike store. They took pictures and sent them in to Cervelo who promptly denied my claim saying it looks like impact is what caused the defect not a manufacturing issue.

So the claim was denied and they offered to sell a crash replacement of a "classic p3" that bike doesn't fit me so i passed on the offer. The thing is the bike has been nothing but babied over the last 2 years. Never dropped, never crashed, never even laid on the ground, hell i even bought a car carrier that holds just the tires so that i wouldnt stress the frame. And that crack is just behind the head tube on the down tube portion. So unless there was some crazy event that happened that i was not aware of there is no way it was impact related.

Now they have been very nice to talk to over the phone... the customer service agent was very nice and appoligetic but had no other alternatives for me and basically said the frame is done... I did manage to get them to offer me a p3 frame (new style) at a reduced rate but that is still just too much for me to pay.

So now i am looking in to getting the frame repaired by calfree and hoping for the best. looks like it will be about 500 bucks out of pocket to strip it down, ship it and repair it... then back home to rebuild it.

guess i am just posting looking for thoughts... options... input.

2014-07-16 7:58 PM
in reply to: Tryrn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Cervelo Cracked
how good are the discounts on the classic and new P3 ?

Any way to sell them to subsidize part of the repair, or to trade them for a P2frame and cash.

What size are you ?

2014-07-16 8:04 PM

User image

That sucks.  If I were you, I would pressure your LBS to go to bat for you.  I'm not sure if they actually will, or anything will come of it, but warranties are one of the main reasons to buy from a LBS.  The LBS has the direct relationship with the manufacturer, and it is in the LBS's best interest to protect their customers.  Otherwise why buy from brick and mortar at all?  One customer doesn't have much say against Cervelo...but if a LBS gets upset that Cervelo isn't honoring their warranties...then they will likely stop pushing their bikes.  Hard because Cervelo is one of the big gorillas of bikes...and they basically sell themselves.  But still worth a shot.  If the LBS isn't willing to at least pick up the phone on your behalf...you might want to think about buying your next bike elsewhere.

2014-07-16 8:21 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

how good are the discounts on the classic and new P3 ?

Any way to sell them to subsidize part of the repair, or to trade them for a P2frame and cash.

What size are you ?

The discounts are decent... on the classic it was $1200 plus shipping and 150 for the rebuild. The P3 is 1800 plus shipping and the rebuild.

I ride a 54.

Part of the problem is the lbs i am using now is not the one i bought the bike from, the store i bought from went out of business about a year ago. The LBS that i am going to now is new in the area and very helpful over this issue but I dont think they would have any pull with Cervelo.
2014-07-16 8:23 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

That sucks.  If I were you, I would pressure your LBS to go to bat for you.  I'm not sure if they actually will, or anything will come of it, but warranties are one of the main reasons to buy from a LBS.  The LBS has the direct relationship with the manufacturer, and it is in the LBS's best interest to protect their customers.  Otherwise why buy from brick and mortar at all?  One customer doesn't have much say against Cervelo...but if a LBS gets upset that Cervelo isn't honoring their warranties...then they will likely stop pushing their bikes.  Hard because Cervelo is one of the big gorillas of bikes...and they basically sell themselves.  But still worth a shot.  If the LBS isn't willing to at least pick up the phone on your behalf...you might want to think about buying your next bike elsewhere.

Thanks for the suggestions Jason. I actually called them and followed up with an email after that to which they called about. The rep was very nice and understanding... either she was a good actress or genuinely felt sorry for me and the situation but was not "able" to help me out. the above replacements is what she could offer... just blows.
2014-07-16 8:37 PM
in reply to: #5026687

Sorry to hear your situation. I had a similar situation earlier this year but with a different company. I felt helpless and ran into the same type of roadblock. I ditched the bike and moved on to a different LBS and company. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Dave

2014-07-16 8:56 PM
in reply to: SHTri

User image

Yeah helpless is about the gist of it... i like the look and performance of the cervelo... but i cant imagine giving them anymore money even on the crash replacement. Id have no problem with the denial if there was something i did to cause the defect... other then the massive 185 watts i produce lol...
2014-07-16 11:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Sounds like its repairable. Contact Calfee or another carbon repair outfit.
2014-07-17 6:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

Originally posted by simpsonbo Sounds like its repairable. Contact Calfee or another carbon repair outfit.

x2

I would just have it repaired.  I trashed a carbon MTB frame last year and just about broke the seat stay in half and the quote to fix it was only $200.  That didn't include trying to match the paint but I don't care about that with it being a MTB.

Edited by csharp1171 2014-07-17 6:49 AM
2014-07-17 7:55 AM
in reply to: csharp1171

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
I've been on both sides of this issue and it sucks from either end. One of the major companies I worked with simply rejected EVERY frame claim and left the burden on the customer to PROVE that he/she didn't misuse the bike. Yeah, how the heck do you PROVE that?
Anyway, short of getting an attorney involved (and that likely won't do any good either) I think you are stuck footing the bill for the repair. If I were you, and I did this when I was on your side of the issue, I would write them a letter and send it to the higher-ups of the company. Letting them know that simply helping you out would have likely made a customer for life. Now, they have lost a customer for life. When I wrote that letter, I got an immediate response from the CEO of the company but it was too late (and I let him know that too).
2014-07-17 9:08 AM
in reply to: csharp1171

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I would get the whole thing repainted matte grey no logos... I want to repaint my P2 anyways and would see this as a chance to do so. Cervelo was good to me when my aluminum frame failed. But that was a known failure and it would be hard to deny one person when a few hundred had the same issue. There are probably more out there but once the frame is on the 2nd or 3rd owner it does not matter.

2014-07-17 9:38 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Just go the quote back from calfree

strip bike pack and ship to them.
repair is $ 400
a clear coat with no touch up is $100
single color coat in the repair area $225
to reproduce decals and such to match $550

So looking at $ 500 + 150 to rebuild and whatever shipping is both ways for the basic repair.
or $950 + 150 to rebuild and shipping both ways.

or $1800 plus $150 rebuild and then fitting for a new P3 frame.
2014-07-20 10:01 AM

New user

I am in the same boat as you. I have a Quintana Roo CD0.1 with a crack by the bottom bracket on the drive side behind the chain ring. There is no way it can be impact but QR simply doesn't warranty the frames after 24 months. My guess is it would have been chain suck impact etc or some other BS had it been within the 24 months. The offered me a crash replacement at $1400 which has me looking at other bikes or a new one. I actually have been racing mine with the crack but it is getting worse and now there is a second so no more racing till its fixed. Im going to tear it down next week or so and sand out the cracks to see how deep they are and if they are into the carbon or not. I am probably going to repair it and have a custom paint job done, that's if I don't buy a Shiv first. I have to do something and soon, I have an Oly August 17 and my first HIM Sept 7th.

(SU1BRzE0NTUuanBn_zps3dc9dca8.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
SU1BRzE0NTUuanBn_zps3dc9dca8.JPG (1058KB - 8 downloads)
2014-07-20 5:15 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Strange as it seems compared to many brands Cervelo has been good to BTers over the year with claims.

Not having a dealer behind you pushing on your behalf doesn't help.

You may want to post over on ST to get some advice. Sometimes they have someone with an in with some bike companies that may reach out to help you.

2014-07-21 11:49 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Seems like it would take a decent front impact to damage the frame like that. Perhaps pictures of the front of the bike showing no damage and maybe a letter from an attorney might help?

If the repair and repaint is going to cost that much I would probably just upgrade to the P3.

2014-07-21 12:17 PM

Personally I would not buy another frame from them on principle. I would either get it repaired or buy a different brand and swap the parts.

2014-07-21 6:09 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Man, that sucks. But thanks for posting that, because I'll probably never buy a Cervelo now. That's just a blatant failure to honor their warranty--not OK. And yes, post on ST as well. Maybe you'll get some help, but at least you'll caution more people about them not honoring their warranties.

I'm all for customers using social media to raise awareness of poor service. And this is not a case of some crazy consumer with a wacked-out complaint. You laid out the facts pretty clearly.

2014-07-21 6:37 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
It may have been inferred, but I didn't see for sure...is it still within the manufacturer's warranty period? That to me is the most important issue. If so, as was mentioned by another poster, an impact would leave impact marks elsewhere, not just the stress fracture to your bike for which you are seeking a claim. Now, they could claim that a seat, handlebars, or some other removable piece took the impact and you just removed and replaced it, but I would still bring up the question and see what they say. I.e. take photos and show them that there are no impact marks and put the onus on them to tell you why that is not satisfactory to prove it wasn't impact related.

If that doesn't fly, I would just state plainly (not in any vengeful sort of way) that you aren't going to keep it a secret. We triathletes certainly talk to one another. If you are indeed in the warranty period, show proof that no impact occurred to your bike, and they still deny your claim, I know that's enough for me to lean towards Felt, and I'm going to be in the market for a new bike come this winter. To me customer service and standing behind your product is paramount.
2014-07-21 7:50 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

Personally I would not buy another frame from them on principle. I would either get it repaired or buy a different brand and swap the parts.

I thought so also... i made sure they had pics of the rest of the bike also... everything else on the bike is perfect.. maybe some slight scratches from taking the back wheel on and off to change flats.
2014-07-21 7:51 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

That is my exact thinking... i sent it out to Calfee to get fixed and will cover up the Cervelo name on the bike when i get it back.. I wont advertise them no buy another bike from them again.
2014-07-21 7:53 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

I posted on ST asking for opinions much like here... I would be totally fine with buying a new frame if i ate it on the bike, not trying to get something for nothing... just to have them back up the warranty they boast about. But emails and calls (all with a cool head, never the crazy upset customer) fall on deaf ears. The one lady that i did talk to acted very empathetic... but was only able to offer the P3 as replacement at 1850.

2014-07-21 8:02 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Originally posted by 3mar

It may have been inferred, but I didn't see for sure...is it still within the manufacturer's warranty period? That to me is the most important issue. If so, as was mentioned by another poster, an impact would leave impact marks elsewhere, not just the stress fracture to your bike for which you are seeking a claim. Now, they could claim that a seat, handlebars, or some other removable piece took the impact and you just removed and replaced it, but I would still bring up the question and see what they say. I.e. take photos and show them that there are no impact marks and put the onus on them to tell you why that is not satisfactory to prove it wasn't impact related.

If that doesn't fly, I would just state plainly (not in any vengeful sort of way) that you aren't going to keep it a secret. We triathletes certainly talk to one another. If you are indeed in the warranty period, show proof that no impact occurred to your bike, and they still deny your claim, I know that's enough for me to lean towards Felt, and I'm going to be in the market for a new bike come this winter. To me customer service and standing behind your product is paramount.

Cervelo states that they have a limited lifetime warranty for the frame of the bike. I purchased it in 2012 24 months and am the only owner of the bike. The bike shop took a total of 4 pictures as requested by cervelo of the area cracked, the area around it and tho whole bike. the only area that even has an issue is that area right behind the head tube. The statement they gave me when i spoke to them was "there are so many things that can happen to a bike when it is out of your view that we can not be sure that it was not dropped or fallen in transition, off of your bike rack, or in your garage". Once i knew it was going to be a "he said she said" thing i knew that i would never prevail. I offered to ship the bike to them for inspection and they said that there is no reason to do that... they can tell it was impact from the was it was separating.

I asked Calfee to check it out and give me an opinion of what they think could have caused it and will let you know what they say when they call about the repair.

I agree with the world of triathlon... very small world. I did in my 2nd email and last email i sent said "while i do believe that cervelo makes a fast piece of equipment that many people enjoy, when asked about my repair, (i am not getting it repainted) I will be very happy to explain to everyone that will listen how you failed to hold up your end of the purchase agreement and warranty repair". Shawn did respond again to my email saying we will offer you a crash replacement frame.... and that was that.
2014-07-22 7:43 AM

, Wisconsin
List me as one more potential buyer that will take Cervelo off the list.
2014-07-22 8:07 AM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by Tryrn I posted on ST asking for opinions much like here... I would be totally fine with buying a new frame if i ate it on the bike, not trying to get something for nothing... just to have them back up the warranty they boast about. But emails and calls (all with a cool head, never the crazy upset customer) fall on deaf ears. The one lady that i did talk to acted very empathetic... but was only able to offer the P3 as replacement at 1850.

I have also scratched Cervelo off my list.  How can anyone prove a negative?  Pretty much means they can deny every claim a customer could make.

Sounds like they need to take a lesson from Garmin.  I've read so many great stories about Garmin issuing replacements with no questions asked, just have to pay the nominal fee.

2014-07-22 8:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
What are you guys expecting cervelo to do out of curiosity?

A crash replacement deal is basically what ANY bike company is going to offer you on a two year old bike. Add to that that Cervelo no longer makes the bike he would be replacing.
Bike companies can't just send everyone a new bike on their word that "it was never dropped/crashed/etc" I mean, think of how much abuse that could potentially open you up to. "Well... time for a new bike after a few years, might has well jack this one up."

I'm not saying anything like that happened OP, I take you at your word (and most people's who have a nice bike) that you cared for it pretty meticulously... hell, I cared for my Scott CR1 like nobody I've ever met, but when it developed a hairline crack in it, Scott told me the same thing. I could get a deal on a Foil or have it repaired.

It's a crappy situation and obviously you feel like you've gotten the short end of the stick (and in a perfect world you may indeed have) but you have to look at it from the other perspective so again... what would you have them do?

* name me a company that will replace my cracked frame after two years on my word. I will be an instant lifetime customer.

Edited by Leegoocrap 2014-07-22 8:30 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cervelo Cracked Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

2010 Cervelo P2....or 2011 Cervelo P2...

Started by trinado
Views: 7177 Posts: 8

2010-10-15 11:32 AM Tim_H

Buying Cervelo P2C - Selling Cervelo P2SL

Started by Bossman
Views: 6395 Posts: 15

2008-02-18 9:15 AM Charlienvme

First Ride New Cervelo...First Crash New Cervelo

Started by Mad Lt.
Views: 1740 Posts: 15

2007-08-19 4:08 PM ranger5oh

Just say No to crack!

Started by Colomingle
Views: 1648 Posts: 23

2006-06-26 6:34 PM JBrashear

Cracked ribs

Started by Aikane
Views: 956 Posts: 10

2004-06-23 3:57 PM Aikane
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 5, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
For eight months now I have had progressively worse snapping in my legs and ankles. Whenever I walk, my knees crack on the outside and they sometimes hurt when this happens.

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?