General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hey BT, geek me up on swim speed suits, please! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-17 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: Hey BT, geek me up on swim speed suits, please!

OK, I've been searching for this on BT but haven't found really anything (or my search skillz suck).

We're moving to Texas, which I'm told is… um… warm.  So, there will be many non-wettie swims in my future.  As such, I'm wondering about swim speed suits (or whatever you call the non-wetsuit, fabric suits many wear in non-wetsuit-legal swims).

Questions are mostly general (what does one need to know about them; particular considerations; are there times when they are indicated and others when not; etc.), but would love to hear anyone's experience with particular suits and such.  

Just trying to figure it out before I enter the oven in a couple weeks!!

Thanks any and all.

Matt

2014-07-17 11:54 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Hey BT, geek me up on swim speed suits, please!

I bought an Xterra Velocity-M speedsuit several years ago when new WTC rules outlawed my Blue Seventy speedsuit.  I used the suits for the Hawaii 70.3 in 2009 and 2011.  I did some testing in the pool with both suits and they definately were measurably faster.  I do not recall the exact amounts but at least a few seconds per 100.  I really didn't see a downside.

The Xterra speedsuit lists for $350 but I think I paid about $150. 

2014-07-17 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Thanks for asking the question, Matt....I had been wondering the same thing, but then promptly signed up for a wetsuit legal race, with no non-wetsuit races likely till next year.  When I OWS in my tri top, it's like a freaking parachute!

Are there any brands that are better than others?  Some are legal for all races, and some for just some races, right?  Definitely on my list of things to research and purchase (also living in TX).

2014-07-17 12:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

OK, I've been searching for this on BT but haven't found really anything (or my search skillz suck).

We're moving to Texas, which I'm told is… um… warm.  So, there will be many non-wettie swims in my future.  As such, I'm wondering about swim speed suits (or whatever you call the non-wetsuit, fabric suits many wear in non-wetsuit-legal swims).

Questions are mostly general (what does one need to know about them; particular considerations; are there times when they are indicated and others when not; etc.), but would love to hear anyone's experience with particular suits and such.  

Thanks any and all.

Matt

You know me, I measure everything :-)

Tyr torque - 3s/100 - zipper broke-crappy customer service IMO
Huub 3s/100 - great customer service

Multiple, multiple runs, very consistent results.

PS : I will be experimenting with the DeSoto, starting tomorrow :-) It is ITU legal, which the Tyr and Huub are not

Edited by marcag 2014-07-17 12:14 PM
2014-07-17 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
dp

Edited by marcag 2014-07-17 12:12 PM
2014-07-17 12:51 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Austin based and I've got the Tyr Torque. If I'm racing, I'm either in my wetsuit or my speed suit. I can't see any situation where they're not warranted. Since the wetsuit takes longer to get off but also saves more time, my break even point for both is about the same: 200m. Any swim longer than that and I save more time than I lose.

2014-07-17 1:07 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marcag

Thanks any and all.

Matt

You know me, I measure everything :-) Tyr torque - 3s/100 - zipper broke-crappy customer service IMO Huub 3s/100 - great customer service Multiple, multiple runs, very consistent results. PS : I will be experimenting with the DeSoto, starting tomorrow :-) It is ITU legal, which the Tyr and Huub are not

Roka gets good reviews over on That Other forum.  Any thoughts on them?

2014-07-17 1:33 PM

User image

I've got the B70 PZ3TX.  I haven't tested it in the pool, but when OWS training in a protected and well marked lagoon, I'm about 2-3 seconds per 100y faster.  

Make sure it fits well.  You want it snug.  I didn't sense any problems with over heating...but most of my swims were in 75-80 degree water.  I like the zipper on the PZ3TX.  It's one of those locking zippers so to remove it, you just flip the tab up, and it self unzipps as you pull the speedsuit off your shoulders.  No cords...you just may need a friend to help you zip up.

I got my used of the ST classifieds for about 150 I think.  Looked to be in almost new condition (seller said used once).  At full retail price, it's a bit harder to justify...but I got it before going to Kona last year.  Even lottery winners have to look the part when you're in Kona right?  At least look fast at the starting line...let them find out you're slow later.

2014-07-17 1:56 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jmkizer
Roka gets good reviews over on That Other forum.  Any thoughts on them?

Never tried it, but given the company, I suspect the performance will be good.
2014-07-17 1:58 PM
in reply to: dgunthert

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by dgunthert
I can't see any situation where they're not warranted.

WTC allows them, ITU doesn't. So for example Matt qualified for Worlds in Sweden. If it's not wetsuit, he can't wear a swimskin.
He can wear something like the DeSoto whcih is a tri suit.
2014-07-17 2:14 PM

Just an FYI - USAT is considering changing their swim skin rules for next season. I am not sure if they will adopt the WTC rule or something else but just be aware that change is likely for next season.

2014-07-17 7:15 PM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I suspect they would adopt the ITU rule vs WTC. ITU rule is one suit for the whole race, so suits like ZeroS, Kiwanis and Desoto will dominate.
2014-07-17 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
If you are racing Olympic or shorter get a ITU style Trisuit.
2014-07-17 7:38 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Skip the Speed Suits, you just need to kick more, do some of those 2,500 yd kick sets

I'm actually trying one out this Sunday (Bargain from Hannulink) for the first time, assuming water temp is above 78.
2014-07-17 7:45 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by simpsonbo If you are racing Olympic or shorter get a ITU style Trisuit.

This^^   Kiwami suits have survived the test of time for us.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-17 7:46 PM
2014-07-17 8:05 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Originally posted by reecealan

Skip the Speed Suits, you just need to kick more, do some of those 2,500 yd kick sets

I'm actually trying one out this Sunday (Bargain from Hannulink) for the first time, assuming water temp is above 78.

ME TOO! I got a Tyr Torque Lite on the cheap... But I think I'll be able to wear a wetsuit.

2014-07-17 8:12 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by simpsonbo If you are racing Olympic or shorter get a ITU style Trisuit.

How do they compare to a speed suit (say one that's WTC legal)?  I almost pulled the trigger on one a couple months ago, but no longer have any non-wetsuit races on the schedule. 

2014-07-18 6:35 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

How do they compare to a speed suit (say one that's WTC legal)?  I almost pulled the trigger on one a couple months ago, but no longer have any non-wetsuit races on the schedule. 

They will probably be comparable for a person like you.

The skin suit does 3 things
a) it it supposed to repel water, so be a little slippery through the water
b) it compresses quite a bit so less volume to move through the water
c) it eliminates drag from pockets in your tri suit

PS : when I said 3 seconds faster, I meant compared to a speedo

The ITU type suit
a) Not sure if the material is hydrophobic (I think it is)
b) maybe compresses a little less. You do wear it for the bike and run therefore comfort is more of a factor
c) depends on if it has pockets or not. Not sure.
d) The chamois actually floats a little, so it's supposedly like a small pull bouy. Nothing that can't be corrected by 3000m kick sets however.

this is my understanding of it. I am picking up a Desoto in an hour so I'll let you know :-)

One advantage of the DeSoto is the no BS return policy. Fit is everything and comfort on the long stuff you do is critical.

While the "technology" is important, I think the customer service angle is equally important. I will never buy a Tyr product again.
Huub and Desoto have been amazing.

2014-07-18 8:03 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

They will probably be comparable for a person like you. The skin suit does 3 things a) it it supposed to repel water, so be a little slippery through the water b) it compresses quite a bit so less volume to move through the water c) it eliminates drag from pockets in your tri suit PS : when I said 3 seconds faster, I meant compared to a speedo The ITU type suit a) Not sure if the material is hydrophobic (I think it is) b) maybe compresses a little less. You do wear it for the bike and run therefore comfort is more of a factor c) depends on if it has pockets or not. Not sure. d) The chamois actually floats a little, so it's supposedly like a small pull bouy. Nothing that can't be corrected by 3000m kick sets however. this is my understanding of it. I am picking up a Desoto in an hour so I'll let you know :-) One advantage of the DeSoto is the no BS return policy. Fit is everything and comfort on the long stuff you do is critical. While the "technology" is important, I think the customer service angle is equally important. I will never buy a Tyr product again. Huub and Desoto have been amazing.

I used the DeSoto LIftfoil as a trisuit for a season. It's pretty well built, seems like it would hold up for a long time. The cut was a little short in height to get the needed snugness though, pulled on my shoulders later in the races. The pad was a bit wide for me too. I don't know if it's as good as others for hotter races as it seemed heavier/thicker. Nice to have for the cooler ones though.

Switched to a Kiwami Amphibian last year and loved it. Incredibly light feeling and holds snug. Cut for an athlete too. No amount of splashing gets the thing wet. I have to get in the water. It is a back zip, but I've actually felt less restricted in this than the several front zip suits. No need to zip up for the finish line photo!   I don't know if it's exactly the same as a swimskin, but it'll be more competitive towards that. I haven't looked into the new Spider yet, but the Konami is supposed to be the long course version, pockets and front zip.

Both DeSoto and Kiwami were very helpful.

2014-07-18 8:34 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Super helpful all - many thanks!

Marc, I'll be curious to hear what the time differences are between the skinz and the DeSoto.

I just read a short piece in Triathlete last night about skinz and time savings.  They claimed a consistent 2s/100 advantage for the skinz (compared the 3s you experience Marc) and 6s/100 for wetties (although I see more like 10s/100 - I know, prolly from bad form).  If the ITU suit is close to a swimskin and comfortable, it would be tougher to go with a swimskin from a time savings standpoint, I'd think (?).  Thoughts on one vs. the other?

Brings another question to mind (which I've asked before to some good natured derision).  For those of us who are more hirsuite (hairsuit?) than others, is the slipperiness of these suits undone somewhat by a set of hairy shoulders and arms (and legs) hanging out in the slipstream?  Having just swum with a sunshirt and shorts (rather than jammers) last week and noticing a big drag difference, I'm wondering if I'll see some speed bump just from wearing something over my "sweater."

The replies from pool fishies to this question in the past have all been that shaving psychs you up for race day but otherwise has no effect.  If that's so, how does an ITU suit make you faster than jammers (assuming minimal compression)?  (and if this question truly is silly, just say so and I'll try to stop asking!)  

Off to do 3k of kick.

Matt

2014-07-18 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Marc, I'll be curious to hear what the time differences are between the skinz and the DeSoto.

I won't be providing numbers. People won't believe me :-)

Either this suit is very fast or that 200m of kicking I did yesterday is finally yielding results.

Seriously...for me, the DeSoto is hands down better
Would I wear it for a HIM or longer ? I don't know. My regular shorts/top are more comfortable. But for an Oly, hands down.
Skimskin allows you to be more selective on your bike/run attire which is not negligeable on 70.3 and greater.

I am very surprised of the results. I need to do more testing. They were that good.

Edited by marcag 2014-07-18 6:06 PM

2014-07-18 8:02 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I won't be providing numbers. People won't believe me :-) Either this suit is very fast or that 200m of kicking I did yesterday is finally yielding results. Seriously...for me, the DeSoto is hands down better Would I wear it for a HIM or longer ? I don't know. My regular shorts/top are more comfortable. But for an Oly, hands down. Skimskin allows you to be more selective on your bike/run attire which is not negligeable on 70.3 and greater. I am very surprised of the results. I need to do more testing. They were that good.

Just to be sure, you're talking about the Liftfoil right?  If so I'd be interested on your thoughts of the 7mm pad.  Maybe the pad lifted you more than you think!

I love the fit and feel of Desoto tri suits but mine are the older models with the thin Fleece pad and wonder if the 7mm pad would be too much.  I need a new suit and have been looking at the Forza and the Riviera suits, god knows I could use all the help I can get for the swim and my next tri (2k swim) most likely won't be wetsuit legal.

2014-07-18 8:06 PM

User image

Pro

I won't be providing numbers. People won't believe me :-

If it provides that much of an advantage it should be illegal to use. 

2014-07-18 8:20 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Like shaving your legs for the bike!?!

Edited by Donto 2014-07-18 8:20 PM
2014-07-18 8:21 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Donto

Like shaving your legs for the bike!?!

Of course not.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hey BT, geek me up on swim speed suits, please! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

10 Speed VS. 11 Speed educate me please ???

Started by strykergt
Views: 13767 Posts: 19

2014-03-28 11:02 AM Techdiver

Speed Suit & Wet Suit Question

Started by bart123
Views: 655 Posts: 3

2012-09-11 7:28 AM taylorz13

Speed suit when Wet suits are not allowed

Started by Grnfsh
Views: 1010 Posts: 6

2010-09-16 2:42 PM Johners

Wet suits for the "Geek" in you

Started by Grnfsh
Views: 974 Posts: 13

2010-01-04 10:02 AM Atlantia

Please help me get some swim speed

Started by 98hogbay
Views: 1241 Posts: 11

2008-10-21 1:22 PM joker70
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2009
author : t3coach1
comments : 0
Looking to shave some time off and improve your swim efficiency during your races? We review the Rocket Skin Suit by Rocket Science Sports.