General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race wheels advantage Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-07-20 9:24 PM

User image

Subject: Race wheels advantage
Hypothetical question. 70 mile bike ride with basic standard off the shelf training wheels equals average speed of 18.4 mph. What is the speed / time improvement if ride would have been done using a set of ZIPP 600's? Same conditions. effort ect. Thanks

2014-07-20 9:59 PM
in reply to: Slacker20

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Race wheels advantage
Impossible to tell with the given information.

However, as a general guideline I would estimate somewhat less than 1mph gain going from training wheels to race wheels, all else equal.
2014-07-21 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

When I switch from my training wheels with Gatorskins, to my race wheels (H3 front, Renn disc) with Michelin Pro4's I see about +1 mph increase.

Lots and lots of variables involved, so without access to a wind tunnel there's not way to put an exact number on it.

I even think there's a bit of a placebo effect where you ride faster, just because you think you should be riding faster.

The biggest aero advantage I see on a regular basis is when I go from my hoods to my aerobars - I have to shift up one gear to keep my cadence steady.

Mark

2014-07-21 11:05 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Extreme Veteran
+2 on the 1 MPH. I gain about 2-3 MPH switching wheels and removing the extra water bottle containers aero helmet ...
2014-07-21 12:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

If you can't consistently avg. at least 20 mph I wouldn't bother (yes, I kinwo that's not the greatest measure but it means something to people without a lot of experience).....the advantage vs. cost is way out of wack....there are plenty of cheaper/better ways to make your and your bike more aero/efficient.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-21 12:07 PM
2014-07-21 12:10 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

2014-07-21 12:15 PM

User image

Thanks all... very sketchy question I know...
2014-07-21 12:34 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by Slacker20

Thanks all... very sketchy question I know...

As a noob (around the same speed as you, but less distance) I didn't notice much of a difference at all by switching from bad stocks to aero wheels. The biggest benefit it gave me was that I wanted to ride my bike more, and I have trained a lot more since getting them. Probably a really bad reason to buy them, but it worked for me :D.
2014-07-21 12:39 PM

User image

I'd say aero wheels make around a 0.3-0.4 mph difference alone on your typical triathlon course.  Add a good pair of race tires and latex tubes and it's a little closer to 1 full mph.

Aerodynamics and rolling resistance impact riders at all speeds.  20 mph average is 2:48 for a HIM and 5:36 for a full IM...those are very much above average speeds for those distances and would the benefits of aero wheels over a standard box rim would be minutes.  Likely around 2-4 minutes for a HIM and 4-8 minutes for a full IM. 

Assuming you have a finite amount of money to spend, I will agree that wheels are not your best bang for your buck.  It's become a little more affordable recently, but labeling an average speed threshold to making aero wheels worth it is wrong.  It's more dependent on how much money you have to spend rather than how fast you currently are.

2014-07-21 12:52 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Left Brain

If you can't consistently avg. at least 20 mph I wouldn't bother (yes, I kinwo that's not the greatest measure but it means something to people without a lot of experience).....the advantage vs. cost is way out of wack....there are plenty of cheaper/better ways to make your and your bike more aero/efficient.

Considering 85% of drag comes from the rider, not the bike, making the bike slicker isn't really going to be that measurable in terms of speed increases.  Aero gear isn't going to slow you down, but it's a very marginal improvement and no one should expect any miracles from it alone.

At the end of the day, it's still all about the engine.  Building a bigger engine is always going to be the most effective way to get faster.

But all that aero stuff does look cool...

Mark

2014-07-21 1:06 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

I'd say aero wheels make around a 0.3-0.4 mph difference alone on your typical triathlon course.  Add a good pair of race tires and latex tubes and it's a little closer to 1 full mph.

Aerodynamics and rolling resistance impact riders at all speeds.  20 mph average is 2:48 for a HIM and 5:36 for a full IM...those are very much above average speeds for those distances and would the benefits of aero wheels over a standard box rim would be minutes.  Likely around 2-4 minutes for a HIM and 4-8 minutes for a full IM. 

Assuming you have a finite amount of money to spend, I will agree that wheels are not your best bang for your buck.  It's become a little more affordable recently, but labeling an average speed threshold to making aero wheels worth it is wrong.  It's more dependent on how much money you have to spend rather than how fast you currently are.

Not if what you are asking is if the speed gain from where you currently are is worth it.....especially if you include the speed you are currently riding at.

What is probably closer to the truth than any of us want to admit is that if you have to ask the question regarding the benefits of race wheels relative to your riding......you're not ready and won't see near as much gain as you might think from reading these boards.

2014-07-21 1:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Not if what you are asking is if the speed gain from where you currently are is worth it.....especially if you include the speed you are currently riding at.

What is probably closer to the truth than any of us want to admit is that if you have to ask the question regarding the benefits of race wheels relative to your riding......you're not ready and won't see near as much gain as you might think from reading these boards.

And they need to do more kick sets!

2014-07-21 1:21 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by msteiner

I don't know about all that.  And Leego , Jason, etc, know more/care more about bike aero dynamics than I do......but I know how many people can't ride at all and have $1500-2500 race wheel sets.  What the new people need to know is that it really doesn't make them that much faster.....spend your money on computrainer sessions if you're just dying to spend money to get faster.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-21 1:22 PM
2014-07-21 1:55 PM

Master
Northern IL

I don't know about all that.  And Leego , Jason, etc, know more/care more about bike aero dynamics than I do......but I know how many people can't ride at all and have $1500-2500 race wheel sets.  What the new people need to know is that it really doesn't make them that much faster.....spend your money on computrainer sessions if you're just dying to spend money to get faster.

I would say it more like spend on training method/development first, and then look for equipment such as this with what's left over. There isn't really a minimum speed for the aero to be worth it and sometimes there can be situations where it can be beneficial to spend the bit more for the aero. This can be kind of blended together at times too, such as having a bike that can easily be ridden in the aero position. The position and ability in it develops over time. Wheels can be put on at any time. Some people just have the money & desire to do all this fairly quick and there isn't really an issue with that.

2014-07-21 2:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Here is one set of data. Numbers are for Oly distance ie 40km

Only you can determine if it's worth it.

article here
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2010/04/biggest-bang-for-your-buck-in-tim...

Of course there are ways of optimizing, such as a disccover instead of disc wheel
Numbers could be debated ad nauseum.

I wish people would stop answering by "work your engine". Nothing prevents from both working the engine and optimizing the engine one has.
People spend more money on the leather seats in their car than a set of wheels and nobody tells them the HTFU their fannie.
2014-07-21 2:14 PM

User image

Correct...I think everyone's replies illustrate just that...that wheels do not make you that much faster.  I quoted 0.3-0.4 mph for my own experiences above.  I hope that gives realistic expectations for the amount of money that can be invested in wheels.  Granted, my current setup for tris cost me around $550 (used 404 front and a disc cover) so it doesn't have to be in the $1500-2500 range if you don't want it to be.

There are lots of better ways to spend money for speed improvements instead of wheels...just trying to illustrate though that the barrier to the wheel market is not determined by your current average speed, but more the size of your wallet and how many of the other speed investments you have currently exhausted.  There are a lot of female pros that do everything they can to get faster, yet still can't average 20 mph for a tough IM bike course like Lake Placid or Wisconsin.  I'm pretty sure they are justified in using aero wheels though...no?

2014-07-21 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I understand your point and agree with you.  I see race after race of people who would be better off on road bikes due to their current fit or refusal to use their aerobars.  I just felt like stirring the pot with the kicking comment.

2014-07-21 2:20 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
The idea that go fast goodies and training are an either/or proposition is a false dichotomy. When I was seriously training and had power, I did quite a bit of testing with my equipment (and position) along with training and was able to wring quite a bit of speed out of the power I was producing.

In one season, I went from about 250W at threshold to about 285W through some solid training. On top of that, my go fast gear gave me:

Tribike over roadbike with aeros - 2s/km
Aerohelmet over road helmet - 1s/km
Race wheels with race tires/latex tubes - 3.5s/km

This is roughly a savings of 65W at race speeds which means I got almost twice as much benefit from equipment choices over what I got from training. While any one change in isolation may be small, the net impact can be dramatic.

As a wise person once said, sometimes it's about getting the most speed you have out of the engine you've got.

Shane
2014-07-21 2:21 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Correct...I think everyone's replies illustrate just that...that wheels do not make you that much faster.  I quoted 0.3-0.4 mph for my own experiences above.  I hope that gives realistic expectations for the amount of money that can be invested in wheels.  Granted, my current setup for tris cost me around $550 (used 404 front and a disc cover) so it doesn't have to be in the $1500-2500 range if you don't want it to be.

There are lots of better ways to spend money for speed improvements instead of wheels...just trying to illustrate though that the barrier to the wheel market is not determined by your current average speed, but more the size of your wallet and how many of the other speed investments you have currently exhausted.  There are a lot of female pros that do everything they can to get faster, yet still can't average 20 mph for a tough IM bike course like Lake Placid or Wisconsin.  I'm pretty sure they are justified in using aero wheels though...no?

Beats me.  I think most people are better off with the lightest wheels they can find on a course like that.....but that's probably old school learning at this point.  I see quite a few folks, though, who can spin up lighter wheels a lot easier and better than they can deep aero wheels.  Again.....you guys probably have the "studies" to prove otherwise, I just know what I see....and I doubt deep aero wheels are the best choice for every course.

2014-07-21 2:27 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gsmacleod The idea that go fast goodies and training are an either/or proposition is a false dichotomy. When I was seriously training and had power, I did quite a bit of testing with my equipment (and position) along with training and was able to wring quite a bit of speed out of the power I was producing. In one season, I went from about 250W at threshold to about 285W through some solid training. On top of that, my go fast gear gave me: Tribike over roadbike with aeros - 2s/km Aerohelmet over road helmet - 1s/km Race wheels with race tires/latex tubes - 3.5s/km This is roughly a savings of 65W at race speeds which means I got almost twice as much benefit from equipment choices over what I got from training. While any one change in isolation may be small, the net impact can be dramatic. As a wise person once said, sometimes it's about getting the most speed you have out of the engine you've got. Shane

So, would you not agree that someone who is well trained will get more benefit (speedwise) in aero equipment than someone who is not? (unless that's what you were already saying and I didn't follow well).  How about if we take someone with no cycling training and  put them on a bike with no aero upgrades, then give them a bike with all the goodies......same improvement in s/km?

2014-07-21 2:29 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-07-21 2:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
I think most people are better off with the lightest wheels they can find on a course like that.....but that's probably old school learning at this point.  I see quite a few folks, though, who can spin up lighter wheels a lot easier and better than they can deep aero wheels.  Again.....you guys probably have the "studies" to prove otherwise, I just know what I see....and I doubt deep aero wheels are the best choice for every course.

On 99.9% of draft illegal triathlon courses, aero trumps weight.
The right aero is the one that allows you to not get blown around
How much spinning up of wheels is there is draft illegal triathlons ?
No need for studies, we have physics for this one.

BTW, for what Jr does, the Zipp 404 FC you bought are the best choice.
But like many things, what is applicable to draft legal is different than 99.99% of people on this board.

Edited by marcag 2014-07-21 2:56 PM
2014-07-21 2:36 PM

Champion
Knoxville area
* I do agree that aero wheels are low on the list when it comes to speed per dollar.
I also agree with LB that if you are MOP then the gains may be considered "not worth it" if you look at it from the competition standpoint (that is, being MOP then adding an 808+disc isn't going to make you FOP) but "worth it" is relative to everyone.
2014-07-21 2:38 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

You are all missing the point. Aero wheels looks awesome. Therefore, they are worth it.

/thread.

also they do make you faster. If that is your goal, then you should probably get them if you can afford it. Seems simple enough to me.

2014-07-21 2:51 PM

Beats me.  I think most people are better off with the lightest wheels they can find on a course like that.....but that's probably old school learning at this point.  I see quite a few folks, though, who can spin up lighter wheels a lot easier and better than they can deep aero wheels.  Again.....you guys probably have the "studies" to prove otherwise, I just know what I see....and I doubt deep aero wheels are the best choice for every course.

If you apply the math, aero almost always trumps weight in a non draft legal race unless the descents are so technical that you need to apply the brakes and can't take advantage of the aerodynamic benefits.  There are many different sites that can apply the math for your like analyticcycling, bestbikesplit, cyclingpowerlab, etc.  

There are lots of elites that use a deep front and a disc rear at Savageman because aero still trumps weight.  The reason why someone looks like they are spinning up a hill easy has very little to do with wheel weight and more to do with pure fitness.  The added weight of deep wheels is less then the weight of a full water bottle.  If someone was struggling up a hill and suddenly tossed a full water bottle off their bike, I'd highly doubt you'd see them start to suddenly spin up the hill with less effort.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race wheels advantage Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Active Advantage taking advantage- watch your bank account

Started by gluestick
Views: 6562 Posts: 17

2011-06-30 7:33 PM pschriver

Race wheels vs training wheels

Started by andreasjs
Views: 6249 Posts: 7

2011-05-18 12:48 PM Khyron

Cheapest wheels you would define as legitimate "race" wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by louiskie
Views: 3940 Posts: 37

2009-06-27 7:36 AM qrkid

Race wheels or training wheels with PT

Started by Skeeter1
Views: 1327 Posts: 6

2009-03-28 9:48 PM Skeeter1

tri wheel questions - race v. training wheels

Started by ff27
Views: 2675 Posts: 17

2009-02-09 12:55 PM rc63413
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.

date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?
date : September 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.