General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speed wobble Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-21 6:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Speed wobble

This isn't mean to scare people from descending fast. It's meant to make people aware of something referred to as speed wobble and what to do.

I was riding a very hilly course this weekend. I came to this nice smooth descent, quite steep, and got up to about 42mph in aero position and my bike started to wobble. I thought I was going to crash. I thought maybe I had blown a tire

I stopped, checked everything, nothing wrong.
I continued, twenty minutes later, boom, same thing. A bit slower, maybe 40. (I looked at my Garmin).

I stopped, removed my wheels, straightened them. Nothing seemed wrong. I continued, but like a big wimp. Applying brakes on downhills to not get too much speed.

Brought the bike to the LBS, they check it out. Nothing.

The top mechanic, who is extremely knowledgeable said "probably, speed wobble". Googled it and sure enough that was it.

Be aware of it, Know what to do if it happens. It is the scariest thing I have ever experienced on a bike.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2011/03/speed-wobble-when-the-bike-shakes...

2014-07-21 7:01 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Speed wobble

Clinching the top tube with your knees helps immensely.

2014-07-21 7:12 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
I got it at 54mph in the Collegiate Nationals. Pretty sure I dumped a load in my shorts. Hitting the pavement at that speed would be less than fun.
2014-07-21 7:19 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I had this happen to me on one of my prep rides at Lake Tahoe last year. I started to descend and got in to the 40s and my bike got incredibly unstable. For a moment I got pretty frightened but then I remembered reading about this in the past and thought that I was probably experiencing the dreaded "speed wobble". I slid backwards a CM or so on my seat with very little change. I then pressed one of my knees against the top tube and it instantly went away. I was glad that it happened on a training ride so that I had experienced it and could be prepared if it happened on race day.

I believe that the theory is that at a certain speed your bike hits an oscillation frequency that makes it suddenly unstable. By changing your position slightly or pressing your knee against the top tube you change the bike subtly and the wobble goes away.
2014-07-21 9:03 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I had this happen to me on one of my prep rides at Lake Tahoe last year. I started to descend and got in to the 40s and my bike got incredibly unstable. For a moment I got pretty frightened but then I remembered reading about this in the past and thought that I was probably experiencing the dreaded "speed wobble". I slid backwards a CM or so on my seat with very little change. I then pressed one of my knees against the top tube and it instantly went away. I was glad that it happened on a training ride so that I had experienced it and could be prepared if it happened on race day.

I believe that the theory is that at a certain speed your bike hits an oscillation frequency that makes it suddenly unstable. By changing your position slightly or pressing your knee against the top tube you change the bike subtly and the wobble goes away.

Yes, that is the theory. There is a thread on ST with Cervelo's lead engineer and he says exactly that.

Gman is right, the top tube trick is a solution. Shifting weight is another.

I had never head about it and it was scary.

I posted this for awareness. Let me tell you, it's scary
2014-07-21 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Do you do that as a preventive measure or when the wobble actually starts ?

2014-07-21 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Preventative when speeds start approaching 40mph.

2014-07-21 11:18 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

x2

Mark

2014-07-21 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by marcag

Can you pedal through it? Obviously, at that speed you'll be pushing 115-120 RPM on a compact crank set, but I've hit those speeds on a couple of occasions and anticipated it, but never noticed it. I thought it was because I pedaled through it. 

2014-07-21 4:04 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by rdailey1

Can you pedal through it? Obviously, at that speed you'll be pushing 115-120 RPM on a compact crank set, but I've hit those speeds on a couple of occasions and anticipated it, but never noticed it. I thought it was because I pedaled through it. 

I don't think I was pedalling.
When I hit 50watts in the hardest gear I figure it's god's way of telling me to take a break.
It is the scariest thing I have ever experienced on a bike.
2014-07-21 4:17 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
The knees on top tube is preventative and will often work.

You can also try relaxing your grip (which is pretty much impossible) as this can also sometimes help.

I've heard of people sliding forward on their saddle and/or sitting on the top tube as well but I've never tried these methods.

Shane

2014-07-21 6:25 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks!!! I felt this too and got scared I had to slow down a bit. >.<
2014-07-21 9:02 PM

Well known in the skateboard community. The scars I have on my hips prove it.

Don't think I'll ever have the problem on the bike, as I'm not that fast
2014-07-22 10:11 AM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Thanks for the post. I have had little twitches here and there but never got into a full wobble. Had a few 50+mph descents on the tt bike, no issues. Glad to know how to fix it if I ever do get a good wobble going.

This happens in the motorcycle world as well, leads to some pretty gnarly crashes.

2014-07-22 10:52 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Thanks for the post. I have had little twitches here and there but never got into a full wobble. Had a few 50+mph descents on the tt bike, no issues. Glad to know how to fix it if I ever do get a good wobble going.

This happens in the motorcycle world as well, leads to some pretty gnarly crashes.

Is this specific to certain brands/models of bikes?  I've never experienced this on either of my Felt tri-bikes and have been up to 50mph on downhills.

I experienced this on my old Honda Interceptor in the mid 80's doing 130mph coming out of mountains outside Boise ID.  Yes I thought I was toast when it occurred, one of the scariest times in my life.

2014-07-22 11:00 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Is this specific to certain brands/models of bikes?  I've never experienced this on either of my Felt tri-bikes and have been up to 50mph on downhills.

I experienced this on my old Honda Interceptor in the mid 80's doing 130mph coming out of mountains outside Boise ID.  Yes I thought I was toast when it occurred, one of the scariest times in my life.

I've had the speed wobble on my Trek 2.1 road bike a few times while riding in the clip-ons but never on my Felt TT bike.

As posted above, I have read that it has to do with harmonics of the frame and hitting a certain wavelength/vibration (?).  By pressing your leg against the top tube you apparently alter the harmonics of the frame and the wobble stops.

Either way, I agree scary as hell when it happens.

2014-07-22 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

pretty sure putting power on the pedals prevents the wobble since the applied load is constantly changing the loading on the frame and thus constantly moving the natural frequency of the frame inside some range.  every time i have gotten it has been on a fast decent while not pedaling, and that's pretty much seems to be what everyone else says too.  knee on the top tube works because it dampens the frame vibration and puts it out of the harmonic or natural range for the frame.  

when you hit a triangle(instrument) it vibrates.  this is exactly what causes frame wobble.  the bike is moving along at just the right speed and transferring force in a certain pattern to excite the frame and cause it to shake. 

2014-07-22 1:44 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Good thing im slow!

...A nice article on a topic i definitely wasn't aware of
2014-07-22 1:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Brian W

Good thing im slow!

• ..A nice article on a topic i definitely wasn't aware of

• It wasn't a fast/slow thing. I was going downhill. It could happen to any of us.
    I plan to do some testing next week to see if I can reproduce it

Edited by marcag 2014-07-22 1:47 PM
    2014-07-22 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
    Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Brian W Good thing im slow! ...A nice article on a topic i definitely wasn't aware of
    It wasn't a fast/slow thing. I was going downhill. It could happen to any of us. I plan to do some testing next week to see if I can reproduce it

great idea, what could go wrong

2014-07-22 1:58 PM
    in reply to: Clempson

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by Clempson

Originally posted by Brian W Good thing im slow! ...A nice article on a topic i definitely wasn't aware of
    It wasn't a fast/slow thing. I was going downhill. It could happen to any of us. I plan to do some testing next week to see if I can reproduce it

maybe I should rephrase that :-)
    I will test at high speeds using the techniques discussed and be sure I can descend at high speed without it occurring
    If I don't report back, it re-occurred :-)

2014-07-22 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
    Greenville, SC

that sounds much safer

2014-07-22 2:02 PM
    in reply to: Clempson

Top 3 ways to make sure it goes wrong...
    1. Do it in front of other people and preferably people that are better looking.
    2. Video it
    3. This might just be a Texas/Redneck thing, but just before you start down the hill, look over to your buddies and say, Y'all watch this S#!T.

Be careful but try and video your experiment. :-)

Ron
    2014-07-22 3:53 PM
    in reply to: 0

When I was a kid a friend was telling me how he went down a "big" hill without using brakes. I misunderstood which hill he was talking about and went to the biggest hill in town. I almost made it to the bottom of the hill before I experienced a speed wobble. Needless to say I still have the scare on my chin from when I hit the pavement.

Lesson learned the hard way.

Edited by tjudson 2014-07-22 3:54 PM
    2014-07-22 3:57 PM
    in reply to: WaterRat

User image

Hereford, England
    Originally posted by WaterRat

Top 3 ways to make sure it goes wrong...
    1. Do it in front of other people and preferably people that are better looking.
    2. Video it
    3. This might just be a Texas/Redneck thing, but just before you start down the hill, look over to your buddies and say, Y'all watch this S#!T.

Be careful but try and video your experiment. :-)

Ron

4. Hold my beer and watch this!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speed wobble Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Speed Wobble

Started by Captain Morgan
    Views: 1779 Posts: 15

2013-04-09 11:44 AM syjenkins

high speed wobble - experiences and how to get over being "speed shy"

Started by drgary
    Views: 2943 Posts: 12

2011-05-03 6:28 PM drgary

Speed Wobbles with bike

Started by spjon25
    Views: 910 Posts: 7

2010-05-31 12:07 PM mattanderson

HELP - Solve my dilemma - SPEED WOBBLE

Started by VanderRich
    Views: 1836 Posts: 18

2008-10-18 6:46 AM Fatdoggy

Speed Wobble

Started by millarg
    Views: 851 Posts: 6

2006-04-13 2:13 PM crusevegas
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 13, 2012
    author : KarbonSpeed
    comments : 2
    "These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : December 15, 2008
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 0
    My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?
    date : August 31, 2004
    author : smeeko
    comments : 0
    I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.