General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMWI training trip Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-28 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: IMWI training trip

Anybody interested in driving down to Verona on Sunday to ride the bike course? I was thinking of driving down Sunday around noon and doing one loop (and maybe the out and back if there's time), then doing 2 loops in the morning Monday before driving back. Maybe getting a room in Verona... I could probably average somewhere from 16-17.5mph for the ride, but would be happy to go slower , or could bring race wheels and push 19...

Ryan

2014-08-07 1:58 AM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: RE: IMWI training trip

Just a follow up to my own thread. I drove down Monday to Verona. I got in later than planned and had a flat to fix before I could ride, so I was only able to do 10 of the 16 miles of the "stick" part of the course before dark was settling in. Lots of hills... holy cow! I was taking it easy because of the monsoon that day in southern and central Wisconsin. They apparently got 4 inches of rain during the day, and it was still raining lightly when I rode. I figured "train in all conditions to prep for races in any condition." After my Liberty experience this year, I figured I better take advantage of the time I had (especially since I bothered to make the trip in the first place.) Slept great that night, and was on the road by 6:30 for the loop part of the bike course. I was amazed at how few segments of the course are able to be done with head down and cranking away. It seems like there is constantly another uphill, downhill, and/or corner to prep for, and your constantly changing gears. I had read it and seen it in other places, but I was amazed at how consistent that change is throughout the 40 miles of the loop. My main goal for this ride was to take it as easy as possible. It was cool and cloudy, not too humid, and I thought that the colder temps and rain at Liberty is what got me in trouble with keeping my HR artificially low for the effort I was putting out. I succeeded here, as only spent 3 minutes out of the nearly 5 hours of the two loops above zone two, and this was only by up to 4 bpm, Further, i almost even split the loops, as they were within 45 seconds of each other. They probably would have been even closer had I not taken a shortcut on the first loop that saved me two tenths of a mile.  I was a little disappointed by my average speed, but I know that I didn't have the benefit of rolling all of the stop signs and lights, as well as the "legal draft" under crowded course conditions I'm expecting with my predicted paces.

Worst case scenario, I know that I can get through the bike with "easy" effort and hopefully still have plenty in the tank for a good marathon. Plus I have the confidence of knowing the course! Good luck to anyone else from MN who is now down to the last month before race day. Anyone besides Farlig, sthoresen,  and jlruhnke for this year?

2014-08-07 8:23 AM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Originally posted by rdailey1

i almost even split the loops, as they were within 45 seconds of each other.p>

This is a VERY good thing. It sounds like you've got your pacing locked down.

You're going to see a lot of people that get all whipped up after the swim and go out too hard on the bike. Let them pass you. These are the people that average 19-21 on lap 1 and 15-17 on lap 2. Stay disciplined and stick to the plan. You'll see them again when you're laying down an epic run and they're walking down State Street.

Wait. You're in my AG. On second thought, ignore that advice and proceed with attacking that 1st loop.
2014-08-07 11:22 AM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by Farlig
Originally posted by rdailey1

i almost even split the loops, as they were within 45 seconds of each other.p>

This is a VERY good thing. It sounds like you've got your pacing locked down. You're going to see a lot of people that get all whipped up after the swim and go out too hard on the bike. Let them pass you. These are the people that average 19-21 on lap 1 and 15-17 on lap 2. Stay disciplined and stick to the plan. You'll see them again when you're laying down an epic run and they're walking down State Street. Wait. You're in my AG. On second thought, ignore that advice and proceed with attacking that 1st loop.

Attack! Attack! Attack!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMWI training trip Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IMWI Roll Call

Started by Farlig
Views: 2345 Posts: 25

2012-09-12 5:32 PM JeffreyB.

IMWI 2011 - Who to look for?

Started by Farlig
Views: 2479 Posts: 25

2011-09-19 4:31 PM Schmitty75

Hydro's IMWI "race report"

Started by Hydro
Views: 1964 Posts: 9

2010-09-22 11:21 AM ejshowers

Anyone spectating at IMWI this year?

Started by JoeR
Views: 799 Posts: 5

2008-08-17 10:51 PM goalie

MN Trip

Started by lobstergirl
Views: 1010 Posts: 7

2008-02-13 2:08 PM sparco
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussion on IMWI preparation, May A-race preparation, lunges, yoga vs pilates, zones to lose weight and endurance loss over the winter.

date : October 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Triathlon training discussions on IMWI and Ultramarathon training, winter training, 1-leg bike drills, raising your functional threshold power (FTP), swimming faster and the Halo trainer.
date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.

date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.