Yes, it's the law1 Votes - [3.33%]
No way, I don't want a bell on my tri bike5 Votes - [16.67%]
This law doesn't exist where I live24 Votes - [80%]

2014-08-11 7:19 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: The required bicycle bell

After reading on the forum lately about bike laws and policies, I did a little research and saw that it's required in NY state to have:

"A bell, horn or other device that can be heard at least a hundred feet away."

I was also told that this was the law in Vancouver when I lived there and was surprised that such a law existed, although I guess I see the point of it.  Do you follow this rule or blow it off?

2014-08-11 8:16 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: The required bicycle bell

it's a law where i live it fire a gun in the air when approaching an intersection to warn all on horses or horse drawn carriages that i'm approaching with an automobile.  

in summary: just ignore it unless you see merit in following it. 

2014-08-11 10:13 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Veteran
Calgary
It is required by both the provincial vehicle equipment regulation and by City of Calgary bylaw (dealing with pathways) to have a signalling device on a bicycle. I have a bell and use it regularly on the local MUPs. It's actually quite useful.

I have a bell on my mountain bike and my road bike, both of which I use for commuting. If I had a triathlon bike it would not have bell on it.
2014-08-11 10:19 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

i looked at getting a bell to troll people during fast paced group rides or whatever, but they don't make them to fit typical road bike handlebars.  has anyone actually found anything that works?

2014-08-11 10:21 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by donw

If I had a triathlon bike it would not have bell on it.

But it would be kind of funny to come up behind someone in a race and ring the bell! I wonder if they make any that are aero?
2014-08-11 10:30 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by tedjohn
Originally posted by donw If I had a triathlon bike it would not have bell on it.
But it would be kind of funny to come up behind someone in a race and ring the bell! I wonder if they make any that are aero?

You're onto a million dollar idea there. Get out the carbon fiber!

2014-08-11 10:40 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Now this is now a motorized bike ( =/ ) but it's pretty obvious we all need one of these....for the children's protection and such:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfooqchQMo
2014-08-12 6:27 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

2014-08-12 6:43 AM

User image

Exton, PA

How about a one the blasts out " ON YOUR LEFT"
2014-08-12 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm still waiting for them to come out with an aerobar mounted water cannon. No one would hear any noise-making device here anyway above the roar of the trucks and motorbikes. I believe Vietnamese law is that one must not only have a noise-making device on all transport, but that the driver/rider must deploy it continuously.
2014-08-12 9:32 AM
in reply to: Guest

My hybrid has one. A little rubber thumb activated hammer.
I used it A LOT.

I notice on my new bell-less bike that I have to start saying 'on your left' pretty far back so they have enough time to react. It's really hard to sound cheerful, pleasant, and courteous when you have to kinda yell. With that bell, I'd just hit it a few times way back and that was generally enough to get people to look back.

2014-08-12 10:07 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Maybe this is just me, but honestly I get offended when people ring a bell at me while I am out running on a MUT.

Please just call out "on your left" and pass. It's much more personable. A bell, to me, feels rude, grating and makes me think that the person is trying to tell me "you are in my way". I liken it to a guy behind you honking his car horn because you didn't react fast enough to the light change. Like the horn it's a way to detach from the personal interaction.

Maybe I am just weird though...
2014-08-12 10:11 AM
in reply to: noofus

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

^^ I prefer people just pass and keep their shouting and their bells to themselves. Course I am not one of these self absorbed "only person in the world" people who weave all over the path or hang out on the right. 

This only applies to running, as I have never been passed on my bike...

2014-08-12 10:13 AM
in reply to: noofus

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by noofus

Maybe this is just me, but honestly I get offended when people ring a bell at me while I am out running on a MUT.

Please just call out "on your left" and pass. It's much more personable. A bell, to me, feels rude, grating and makes me think that the person is trying to tell me "you are in my way". I liken it to a guy behind you honking his car horn because you didn't react fast enough to the light change. Like the horn it's a way to detach from the personal interaction.

Maybe I am just weird though...

For me, it depends a lot on how the bell / horn is used.
I consider a single, quick "ding" or short "honk" a courteous notification.
Excessive, repeated "dings" and long "honks"... not so courteous.
2014-08-12 10:16 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by Aarondb4
This only applies to running, as I have never been passed on my bike...

LOL!

I actually passed a biker while running on a MUP last Sunday.. :-)
(Neither of us were going that fast.)
2014-08-12 10:23 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Here there is the bell law but you can also have a whistle.

I don't have a bell on my tri bike or road bike nor do i carry a whistle - i don't really use them in a way that requires it, i think.  I just risk it.  

I recently started bike commuting and I have a fat tire bike to ride and it does have a bell on it and is surprisingly useful when out and commuting around lots of cars and pedestrians.  Yelling, wouldn't work very well as so many people don't think anyone is talking to them.  And traffic is louder than my voice. 

I also was once irked by the bell but it can be a useful head's up that a bike is approaching, especially from behind or around a corner.  Most people on foot have no idea what to do when you call out 'on your left' - usually they look around a like a deer in the headlights and go left ... bah! 

2014-08-12 10:23 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by RockTractor
Originally posted by noofus Maybe this is just me, but honestly I get offended when people ring a bell at me while I am out running on a MUT. Please just call out "on your left" and pass. It's much more personable. A bell, to me, feels rude, grating and makes me think that the person is trying to tell me "you are in my way". I liken it to a guy behind you honking his car horn because you didn't react fast enough to the light change. Like the horn it's a way to detach from the personal interaction. Maybe I am just weird though...
For me, it depends a lot on how the bell / horn is used. I consider a single, quick "ding" or short "honk" a courteous notification. Excessive, repeated "dings" and long "honks"... not so courteous.

I agree completely. 

2014-08-12 10:35 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

Want!
2014-08-12 11:17 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by donw If I had a triathlon bike it would not have bell on it.

There is a regular podium finisher around here that rings a bell on his tri bike when passing - and he passes a bunch of people.

2014-08-12 11:41 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by happyscientist
Want!

That might actually get the attention of all those walkers/runners wearing headphones.  I always shout extra loud when I see them.  Haven't hit anybody or crashed because of one yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens someday.

2014-08-12 12:39 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I've had this happen in a race!  It was Mont Tremblant 70.3 in 2013.  I was coming up behind someone to pass while someone else was starting to pass me (the roads are plenty wide to pass 3 wide).  As I was approaching the rider in front they started to move over to to the left.  Suddenly I hear "ding, ding, ding" beside me and sure enough the person pulled back over to the right.

The bike that was passing me with the bell was a fully dressed up super bike with Zipps and electronic shifting....... and a bell.  

2014-08-12 1:01 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

I've had this happen in a race!  It was Mont Tremblant 70.3 in 2013.  I was coming up behind someone to pass while someone else was starting to pass me (the roads are plenty wide to pass 3 wide).  As I was approaching the rider in front they started to move over to to the left.  Suddenly I hear "ding, ding, ding" beside me and sure enough the person pulled back over to the right.

The bike that was passing me with the bell was a fully dressed up super bike with Zipps and electronic shifting....... and a bell.  

Probably an electronic super aero carbon fiber bell that plugs right into the di2 junction box.  Press the bell button without even having to move your hands.

2014-08-12 1:56 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by Jason N
Probably an electronic super aero carbon fiber bell that plugs right into the di2 junction box.  Press the bell button without even having to move your hands.

Super bike with Zipps and electronic shifting...
It probably just assumes you are passing and dings all the time.
2014-08-12 2:00 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

Done: http://www.geekalerts.com/record-your-own-bicycle-bell/

2014-08-12 3:18 PM

Originally posted by Clempson

i looked at getting a bell to troll people during fast paced group rides or whatever, but they don't make them to fit typical road bike handlebars.  has anyone actually found anything that works?

Try velo orange
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories/bells.html
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The required bicycle bell Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

150mph on a bicycle requires a very large sprocket...

Started by funkyd04
Views: 801 Posts: 1

2010-11-13 10:32 AM funkyd04

Race, No Training Required

Started by Stitch26.2
Views: 1297 Posts: 15

2007-01-24 8:06 PM Stitch26.2

New Required Bike Equipment

Started by stupidnickname
Views: 958 Posts: 7

2006-07-14 5:10 PM vortmax

Wetsuit required to swim?

Started by danCC
Views: 773 Posts: 9

2006-05-19 12:06 AM Joe M

does low pressure always require a new tube?

Started by redbullgt337
Views: 873 Posts: 8

2004-08-05 8:10 AM ride_like_u_stole_it
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.

date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.
date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.