General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lactate Threshold vs VO2 max Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-08-13 10:09 AM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: Lactate Threshold vs VO2 max
I've been reading a book by ben greenfield about training. Although I've been training for about 4 years I've actually never performed a LT field test. So yesterday I decided to do a LT run test. My result was 174 which has nothing to do with my question but I wanted to make sure that didn't sound abnormal. I know for biking it will be much lower. So in one chapter of the book he talks about determining your LT so you can determine you training zones. Well then in the next section he talks about training but uses %VO2 max, but never says "hey do this test to determine your VO2 max". Kinda frustrates me that he says to do LT test but then speaks in terms of VO2 max later. Do you need to know both to set up proper training? If so, how do you determine your VO2 max without actually doing blood tests in a lab?

2014-08-13 10:11 AM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Lactate Threshold vs VO2 max

I stopped reading as soon as you said Ben Greenfield.

He is a hack. Get a new source.

please don't buy his energy bracelets or mouth pieces.

2014-08-13 10:19 AM

User image

Pro

I think that Dave Ryan's description here- is pretty clear:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Vo2_max_vs_lactate_threshold_P4158245/

Practically- VO2 Max is your maximum oxygen utilization rate, and usually sustainable for 3 to 6 minutes. 

LT is the level you can sustain for quite a bit longer. ~ an hour.

2014-08-13 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

VO2max is interesting to know as a measure of physical fitness. However LT is the more useful piece of knowledge for training.

The best way to find your LT for a given sport is in a lab. This way you will not be a few beats out, which can make a big difference if your aim is to train just above or just below.

Plus LT can change as you train ... so it is worth having it tested 2 or 3 times in a season as you move through your training phases 

Edited by WildWill 2014-08-13 10:25 AM
2014-08-13 10:32 AM
in reply to: WildWill

nashville, Tennessee
I know what VO2 max and LT are but I'm wondering if VO2 max is a something you should use to calculate certain training zones. I've mostly seen training plans based on LT% but I'm wondering if some training sessions are based on %VO2 max and if so, how can I determine that without lab test.
2014-08-13 10:34 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

nashville, Tennessee
Originally posted by dmiller5

Just curious. Do you have reason or evidence that brought you to this conclusion. Anyone else fee this way? Because I bought a pretty big, in-depth book about training by him and I don't wanna waste my time reading all of it if its junk.

2014-08-13 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by mchadcota2

Just curious. Do you have reason or evidence that brought you to this conclusion. Anyone else fee this way? Because I bought a pretty big, in-depth book about training by him and I don't wanna waste my time reading all of it if its junk.

Exhibit A: http://www./2012/08/do-power-bracelets-really-work/

Exhibit B: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2yK_jqy4aU

Exhibit C:http://204.187.14.165/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Ben_Greenfields_Magic_Bracelets!!!_P4220966

X

2014-08-13 10:52 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I'd recommend Matt Fitzgerald's stuff over Greenfield any day of the week.  

2014-08-13 10:55 AM
in reply to: WildWill

User image

Pro

Originally posted by WildWill

...The best way to find your LT for a given sport is in a lab...

For me- I never find out what I can do until race day.  There's something about seeing the first place guy in my age group, 20 feet in front of me, that get's me to find out my LT.   

2014-08-13 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I would agree that you should steer clear of Greenfield - the biggest danger with him is that he mixes good information with snake oil and there is no way for the lay person to figure out what is correct.

If you just want to understand the how and why of triathlon training, I would recommend Dr Phil Skiba's books - available at http://www.physfarm.com.

Shane
2014-08-13 11:33 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

nashville, Tennessee
Originally posted by gsmacleod

I would agree that you should steer clear of Greenfield - the biggest danger with him is that he mixes good information with snake oil and there is no way for the lay person to figure out what is correct.

If you just want to understand the how and why of triathlon training, I would recommend Dr Phil Skiba's books - available at http://www.physfarm.com.

Shane

Well I'm mainly reading it for training principles which I would think wouldn't vary a whole lot between different experts. As far as the snake oil, I don't listen to any type of supplement advertisement because I don't believe in too many supplements. Hopefully I can decipher the good stuff from the junk.

2014-08-13 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Seriously, if you don't want to waste your time, avoid greenfield.

2014-08-13 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
If you want to learn, then I would recommend Skiba's books as the best available triathlon specific resources.

The problem with Greenfield is that he isn't just selling snake oil as supplements, he mixes mythology and gimmicks into everything he does. You can certainly try to separate the wheat from the chaff but IMO, it is not worth the effort. Buy a good resource and go from there.

Shane
2014-08-13 12:37 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Shane

Agree with this. Also re the original question, doing an LT field test is fine. You do not need a Vo2 max test.
2014-08-13 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

He is actually incredibly smart, just his a business man first and you need to sift through his pile of crap first.

And yes Skiba is one of the better, more easily to read, understand, etc.

Edited by bcagle25 2014-08-13 12:48 PM
2014-08-13 4:59 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by bcagle25

He is actually incredibly smart, just his a business man first and you need to sift through his pile of crap first.

And yes Skiba is one of the better, more easily to read, understand, etc.

In some cases, literally pile of crap, Google "ben greenfield squatty potty"

2014-08-13 5:33 PM

User image

Champion

This makes it even worse that he'll promote anything to make a buck. It would be one thing if he didn't know better but to knowingly trade on hope and ignorance is reprehensible.

Shane
2014-08-13 5:48 PM

User image

This makes it even worse that he'll promote anything to make a buck. It would be one thing if he didn't know better but to knowingly trade on hope and ignorance is reprehensible.

Shane

I never read his stuff, and now I'm glad I didn't.

Sounds like the Dr. Oz of triathlon.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-08-13 5:48 PM
2014-08-13 7:41 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I too stopped reading.  Clearly Ben Greenfield's goal in life is maximizing revenue to Ben Greenfield.  Look at the gear he sells: http://greenfieldfitnesssystems.com/product-category/gear/

Normal triathlon gear, some off the beaten path "you don't need that junk" stuff, and then flat out mumbo jumbo science stuff such as the energy bracelet: http://greenfieldfitnesssystems.com/product/superhuman-performance-bracelet/

The Superhuman Performance Bracelet is the world’s first wristband specifically designed to increase your physical performance, decrease damage from electrical pollution, and enhance sleep – all by harnessing piezeolectricity via a built-in “Encoder” – which vibrates at specific frequencies so tiny that you cannot feel the vibration, but still experience all the benefits.

What’s the difference between the Superhuman Performance Bracelet and other wristbands, necklaces, medallions or other devices? The other products – from bracelets to necklaces to wristband – are either hologram or magnet based. But the Encoder is different. It is the first and only device to have adapted piezoelectric technology. The disc inside the Encoder itself is the culmination of complex biosonic repatterning via sonic neurotechnology – which (translated) is the precise mechanical manipulation of soundwaves to cause the disc to vibrate, which brings about your desired changes in your physical and mental performance – including balance, better thinking, enhanced sleep, and much more.

Click here to read the complete story of how Ben Greenfield discovered the science behind the Encoder and then designed the technology in this wristband.

If you can't tell this is quackery, then click the link at the bottom and read it.  If you still don't think it's quackery, then you desperately need a better quack detector. 

As others said, that's the problem with Ben Greenfield. He mixes in rock solid advice with dubious advice with shameless quackery. I've got better things to do than try to sift real information from bogus information.

Edited by brucemorgan 2014-08-13 7:41 PM
2014-08-13 10:53 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Shane

Kinda like WTC
2014-08-14 9:18 AM

nashville, Tennessee
Awe c'mon...there has to be someone on here that likes Ben Greenfield? Gotta be.. I spent 30 dollars on his book so I need someone to tell me "Yeah he's great and you'll learn so much!" The book had a lot of great reviews from so called "fitness experts and coaches" but you never know how reliable those reviews are.

2014-08-14 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Yeah he's great and you'll learn so much!!!

2014-08-14 9:21 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by msteiner

Yeah he's great and you'll learn so much!!!

the ben greenfield center for kids who don't run good, and wanna learn to do other stuff good too.

2014-08-14 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by mchadcota2

Awe c'mon...there has to be someone on here that likes Ben Greenfield? Gotta be.. I spent 30 dollars on his book so I need someone to tell me "Yeah he's great and you'll learn so much!" The book had a lot of great reviews from so called "fitness experts and coaches" but you never know how reliable those reviews are.

Like I said in a previous post he is really intelligent and knows his stuff, but yes he will promote anything, I mean ANYTHING. So when you read his stuff you really need to understand what you are reading, toss of the crap to get to the good stuff, but that is tricky and for many they don't know how to do that. I don't recommend him to anyone that isn't too formally education in exercise and sport science. Do I like him? Not really, some of my friends are on the Timex team and don't speak to highly of him, does that matter? not really.

They guy makes a TON of money doing what he does, he combines his fitness passion with an excellent business.
2014-08-14 9:45 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mchadcota2 Awe c'mon...there has to be someone on here that likes Ben Greenfield? Gotta be.. I spent 30 dollars on his book so I need someone to tell me "Yeah he's great and you'll learn so much!" The book had a lot of great reviews from so called "fitness experts and coaches" but you never know how reliable those reviews are.
Like I said in a previous post he is really intelligent and knows his stuff, but yes he will promote anything, I mean ANYTHING. So when you read his stuff you really need to understand what you are reading, toss of the crap to get to the good stuff, but that is tricky and for many they don't know how to do that. I don't recommend him to anyone that isn't too formally education in exercise and sport science. Do I like him? Not really, some of my friends are on the Timex team and don't speak to highly of him, does that matter? not really. They guy makes a TON of money doing what he does, he combines his fitness passion with an excellent business.

x2 (or 3 or 4?)

IMO, an intelligent guy, but a total snake oil salesman.  I also feel the apparent complete lack of integrity in selling anything no matter how obviously bogus it is is unethical.  I have no respect for the guy.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lactate Threshold vs VO2 max Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

VO2, Lactate Threshold, Aerobic and Anerobic Threshold Link

Started by DV 1
Views: 1087 Posts: 7

2012-03-21 8:22 AM gsmacleod

Cycling Lactate Threshold vs. Running Lactate Threshold

Started by harrisdthompson
Views: 6541 Posts: 7

2011-07-29 3:52 PM brigby1

Lactate threshold vs. Max heart rate

Started by Kestrel4me
Views: 8158 Posts: 17

2011-01-11 8:26 AM Tri-ingToTurn40

VO2 Max, Lactate Threshold, and HR Questions

Started by dar89
Views: 3476 Posts: 20

2010-03-26 10:50 PM dar89

Lactate threshold or VO2 Max test?

Started by GumbleX
Views: 4180 Posts: 18

2009-03-09 7:17 PM bryancd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : March 4, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.
date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
How do you determine VO2 max for cycling? I have my HR zones from a time trial, but don't know how to get VO2 max out of that.

date : December 31, 2006
author : sportfactory
Is there a point of diminishing returns? At some point, age catches up with us all. In general, as we age, VO2 max decreases, body fat increases, and muscular strength drops off.
date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.

date : October 30, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By focusing on your limiters during the off-season you can accrue your highest rate of return for training time invested and set yourself up well for next season.
date : September 3, 2005
Can you tell me how my LT and V02 max have not decreased after 8 months of absolutely no speedwork? I did very minimal running up until February 2005.

date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.