General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Texas Bicycle Laws Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-15 11:53 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: Texas Bicycle Laws
I thought it'd be a good refresher to link the statutes that deal with operating a bicycle on the roads in Texas. The pertinent sections are 551.101 through 551.106. There is nothing surprising in here, but always good to have a refresher.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/pdf/TN.551.pdf

Because cyclists have the same rights and duties as operators of motor vehicles (Transp. Code 551.101), I thought it would also be useful to link to the driver's handbook.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/DL-7.pdf

I know drivers are not overly bicycle friendly, but we also have a duty to obey the rules of the road. Be safe out there.

2014-08-16 6:34 PM
in reply to: LundyLund

User image

Conroe, Texas
Subject: RE: Texas Bicycle Laws
Too many drivers and bicyclists are not educated in the laws that govern both and it just makes it real aggravating for those of us that know and obey the laws on both.

Texas recently made it mandatory for people to complete a drivers education course if they want a license before the age of 25. In about 10 years we should see an improvement in driver behavior on the road. I wish we could educate cyclist in the same manner.

2015-02-26 9:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Ok...I read all the Texas Bicycle laws.  It says you can ride on highways, but it is practical to bike on 4 lane highways?  

I have only been cycling for 7 weeks.  Most of it has been on two lane county roads near my home that have no shoulder but very little traffic so I can bike on the right side of the lane and the half dozen cars that I see on a 20 mile ride have no trouble passing me on the left.  I looked at the bike course for the Triathlon I will being doing this spring and it has large portions of the ride on four lane highways.  Four lane highways can have steady traffic and very narrow shoulders that typically are a lot more bumpy than the car lanes, have a lot of gravel, and have some debris.  How do you ride on these roads (or it this only done during organized races so they can close the right lane or something like that to make it more biker friendly)?  If I am going to be racing on an 18" shoulder that feels like a rumble strip with cars pacing a few feet away from me at 70 mph, I guess it would be a good idea to do a few training rides in that environment before the race.  I am just wondering if I am missing something that would make riding on a highway less intimidating and more enjoyable.  What types of roads are bikable and what types of roads aren't?

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-02-26 9:12 AM
2015-02-26 11:24 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Most of the races I've done had sectioned off a lane of the road for the race and have police at most (if not all) major intersections to keep you safe. If you want though, give the race director a call or email and ask them what the race day safety precautions will be.

As far as training goes. Every time you leave the house and hit open road and even trails, you are at risk. Cars, dogs, other cyclists, squirrels, rabbits, birds are just a few of the things I deal with here in Houston. Every spot has it's potential dangers, you should know them and not go to Lala land while you are riding. All roads can be bad with the wrong car at the wrong time, but it is up to you to choose the spot where you can be the safest, and train the best at the same time. You might want to find a local cycling group and ride with them. Most legit groups have already mapped out a "safer" route. Once you start riding with others you also learn by example; how to be aware, how to handle sucky situations etc.... and also where good and bad roads may be.

Good luck on the upcoming race,

Justin
2015-02-26 1:41 PM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Is there a good way to find a group to ride with that is very beginner friendly?

My local bike shop(s) has rides but they start at 17 mph average. I'd be lucky to last 1 mile before I was all by myself. In my google searches I'm not finding any slow groups in this very populated area. I must be searching wrong.

I thought I'd get faster on my own eventually. That eventually is taking a long time. (in 6 months I've gone from 13-14 mph to 14-15 mph ) oye! And riding by myself seems more dangerous as I've encountered some really angry drivers in the ghetto of Flower Mound. Really what reason do these folks have to be so upset at me? I need some strength in numbers. Or at least someone that can take me to the hospital if they actually do hit me.

Thanks,
Beth
2015-02-27 8:48 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Thanks Justin,

I deal with deer, dogs, and cars. I have yet to see another cyclist or squirrel and the birds and rabbits have all kept out of the way. I do remember from my past life (25+ years ago when I used to ride my bike growing up) that bugs are a hazard. I rode through my share of gnat clouds and swallowed larger bugs whole multiple times when speeding down hills at 30 MPH.

Beth,

I hope to be able to go on some group rides before my race. I contacted 5-6 people within 35 minutes of me and none of them knew of any local group rides.  I think calling the local bike shops is the best way to find a group.  Hopeful someone will be willing to slow it down and ride with you.  After my race in 2 months I am considering slowing it down and offering to work on the Cycling Merit Badge with our local troop taking them on rides every other Saturday morning during the summer.  For the merit badge they have to do six (6) 25 miles rides and one (1) 50 miles ride (if I remember correctly). I assume that the group pace for a group of scouts would be 12-13 mph with 3-4 stops along the 25 mile ride to let everyone catch up.  It would be good post race recovery for me.  At the bike groups you may find some people working on slow mile to heal from illness, injury, hard work outs, or races.  Good luck you are luck to have a local bike shop and local rides. I have to dive an hour to find either. :-)

-Curtis-

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-02-27 9:05 AM

2015-02-27 9:08 AM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
I agree with BlueBoy, start calling the bike shops. I think every shop in Houston does a ride during the weeknight and another on the weekend. I can't imagine Flower Mound being any different. Most of them have a few different paces offered OR they will know who has a beginner ride. Another thing to ask is if the ride is a drop or no drop ride... I can't ever remember for the life of me which you would want, but basically ask if they re-group at major turns and wait for slower people. One thing to remember is how much faster you go with the group. Once you get comfortable catching a draft the speed can pick up drastically at the same effort. For example on my latest solo rides I hang out around 19mph. 2 week ago I rode with REALLY FAST GROUP and we (I) averaged 22 over 75 miles and I GOT DROPPED at mile 54. The rest of those speed demons must have averaged 23+ My point is to say that if you ride at 15-16, go ahead and don't be afraid to try and ride with a group who rides at 18,you may just surprise yourself. Just be certain you know the route in case you do get dropped and they don't wait for you.

Edited by toodamnbroke 2015-02-27 9:09 AM
2015-03-06 10:04 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Blueboy,
Yes, it is legal to ride on highways. Typically, it is not legal to ride on freeways.

I avoid highways with narrow shoulders. I prefer country roads with limited traffic. A good way to find these roads is to find a local bike club or call around to local bike shops and ask about routes or group rides.

The next best way to find routes is to look on a map and get adventurous. When I first got into road bike racing, I found routes in Ohio where I grew up with old covered bridges, lots of scenery, and tasty hills. I rarely got lost and this predated cell phones.

I think someone else addressed your race question - typically a lane will be coned off during the race.

2015-03-09 10:43 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Hugh in TX Blueboy, Yes, it is legal to ride on highways. Typically, it is not legal to ride on freeways. I avoid highways with narrow shoulders. I prefer country roads with limited traffic. A good way to find these roads is to find a local bike club or call around to local bike shops and ask about routes or group rides. The next best way to find routes is to look on a map and get adventurous. When I first got into road bike racing, I found routes in Ohio where I grew up with old covered bridges, lots of scenery, and tasty hills. I rarely got lost and this predated cell phones. I think someone else addressed your race question - typically a lane will be coned off during the race.

There are no bike shops or bike clubs in Marble Falls, Texas.  This is a retirement community with a population of 6500 people out in the country.  25.9% of the residence are over 65 years old with a median age of 45.2 years old.  For comparison 6.7% of the population of Austin is over 65 years old and the median age is 29.6.

I live on acreage and own livestock.  We don't have the same conveniences as large cities and don't have a community of active athletes to form groups and clubs from.  Unless there is an Austin bike club doing group rides though Marble Falls, there are not likely to be any group rides in the area. 

The nearest freeway to here is 50 miles away so I could do an out and back century ride in any direction and never see a free way.  

I mostly assumed that cyclist just had to learn to be dauntless when it came to riding with traffic.  It may seem second nature to someone that has been doing group rides and who is used to sharing the road with others but for people that are just starting out it is very nerve racking.  Likewise someone in my mentor group who lives in Florida did an open water swim with a great white shark last weekend.  He said there were usually just 5-6 foot sharks but the great white was over 10 feet (size?) and was rare in the area.  It didn't seem to bother him at all, but others in the group who don't live near the coast or ever swim in the ocean said things like "That is why I could never do a Triathlon in the ocean".  I guess I just wanted to know if traffic and road conditions were something that I needed to get used to and if so how others handled them.  I am not going to be that guy who says "I could never do a Triathlon because I could never ride on a high way with traffic going by".  My Triathlon WILL be on a highway for the first 30 miles then go onto a country road for the last half of the ride.  There will be traffic on the road on race day (but cones out to warn drives to stay off the shoulder), so I will work on getting comfortable on the road.  At least I don't have to work on getting comfortable in ocean water for this one.  It is a lake swim that in past year has been very favorable for swimming.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-03-09 10:54 AM
2015-03-09 11:34 AM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
So I don't think it has been said on this thread. But if safety is a big concern (as it should be) you can always buy a nice bike trainer and get some time in the saddle on it. It isn't the same as road riding and won't give you the feel and confidence that road riding does as it applies to actual riding and handling situations, but you can get lots of fitness from the trainer. I ride 3-4x and week, and all but my long ride are on the trainer.

I hate hearing stories about sharks!!!! I am both amazed and terrified by them! On my ride Saturday a guy crashed and totally messed his shoulder up and bonked his head. He was on the pavement for a good 20 minutes before he was helped up (I stayed out of the way and helped direct traffic so I don't know what happened). But as bad as that was and VERY real. It didn't faze me one bit, but just hearing about sharks............... I'm glad I don't swim in the ocean.
2015-03-09 1:14 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Note: I have now been cycling for 9 weeks now.  I saw my first other cyclist on my 47 mile ride I did on Saturday.   I the two men towards the beginning of my ride and then again 25 miles later so I know they were doing a loop going the opposite way as me which involved them going on two busy highways with narrow shoulders..   I was doing some out-and-backs (that kept me on state park and county roads the whole way. 

Yes riding on the trainer is a great way to stay safe while getting fit.   

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-03-09 1:37 PM

2015-03-09 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
There is a lot of great riding around Marble Falls. 281 is not too bad. Parts of 1431 can be a little sketchy.

Austin Cycling Association has a ride that goes through Marble Falls.

There are some easy back roads that can get you to Burnet and Bertram without spending time on 281 or 29.

From Cedar Park I would work my way down 1869 to 1174 to 1431.

I would then take 281 to 340 into Burnet.

Head back out on 330. I would go on to Bertram. You could turn right at 335 and head back to Marble Falls.

There is little to no traffic on that route.
2015-03-09 5:19 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Hugh in TX There is a lot of great riding around Marble Falls. 281 is not too bad. Parts of 1431 can be a little sketchy. Austin Cycling Association has a ride that goes through Marble Falls. There are some easy back roads that can get you to Burnet and Bertram without spending time on 281 or 29. From Cedar Park I would work my way down 1869 to 1174 to 1431. I would then take 281 to 340 into Burnet. Head back out on 330. I would go on to Bertram. You could turn right at 335 and head back to Marble Falls. There is little to no traffic on that route.

I have tried portions of 1431 bwtween Marble Falls and Granite Shoals, but won't be going back on that road again any time soon.  It was too narrow for me to feel comfortable.  I also have tried portions of 281 between Marble Falls and Burnet and likewise won't be going back on that road for the same reason.  

I went on the Hoover Valley Road for the first time last week.  It had a nice wide shoulder for most of the way which made me feel safe, but I hated how much more bumpy and how much gravel were in on the shoulder compared to the car lanes.  :-)  I assume that is what the conditions of my race will be so I may be spending a lot more time on that type of road (and lower the tire pressure 10 PSI so I don't feel the vibration).  I haven't made it up to Burnet that is about a 25 minute drive from where I am at but did see some backroads on the map that I though looked like they would make a good ride.   So far I have done up to 30 miles from my house and have done a few Saturday morning ride 25-50 miles from other starting places with-in about 15 minutes of my home.  Some seem too rough for me because they have a lot of low water crossing and cattle guards.  Other have been really fun and I look forward to going back to them all week long.  

Thanks for the advice.  Just talking to other about riding on the road, dodging squirrels, get adventuresome with the maps, and hearing that others actually do ride on roads like 281 from Marble Falls to Burnet has already helped a lot with my confidence on the road. 

-Curtis-  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-03-09 5:25 PM
2015-03-10 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I wasn't suggesting riding 1431. I've only ridden the short section from 1174 to Marble Falls. It is not a road I would recommend.

But there are plenty of other roads in your area that are low traffic and scenic.

I would suggest just looking at a map, carrying a phone, and head out.

If you ever get into mountain biking, I would suggest the short drive to Reveille Peak Ranch just outside of Burnet. They have beginner to advanced trails.

My most interesting animal encounter in that area was getting chased by an emu. The emu did not follow for long.
2015-03-18 4:42 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
What race are you referring to? The Marble Falls Tri?
If so, that's a great race. Done it several times. Good bike course. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
2015-05-19 9:05 AM
in reply to: Sillygal

User image

Aledo, Texas
Beth,

Performance Bicycle in Southlake has a "no one left behind" ride on Saturday mornings. I ride with Play Tri in Colleyville, also on Saturday mornings. That group has folks of different ability levels. The best thing you can do is call the local bike shop and ask about the ride - whether it's fast or a no one left behind. It's quite likely that there will be at least one other person of the same ability level, or that there is someone who would be willing to ride at your pace. You just need to ask.

Good luck.
Steve

2015-05-29 10:48 AM
in reply to: Sillygal

I ride through Flower Mound a lot, but not sure about rides that pace that start in Flower Mound. I would highly recommend the Shawnee Trail group out of Frisco though. I ride with them occasionally and they are very well organized with ride leaders for every group, follow all traffic laws, and have multiple paces and distances almost every day of the week. It is a great group of people to ride with as well.

http://shawneetrailcyclingclub.com/

I would recommend following the group on Facebook. Usually their weeknight rides follow the same route, but the route on weekends changes. They will post on the facebook site ahead of time which route they will be riding, any weather concerns (although this year that's pretty much a daily occurrence and more of a last minute decision), and if there are any changes to the meeting locations - or generally anything else you might want to know.

Oh - I should mention since this is a tri forum, that they do not allow riders to use aero bars in the group. You are allowed to ride off the back and use them though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Texas Bicycle Laws Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dallas 2011 bicycle path draft

Started by JBrashear
Views: 1525 Posts: 4

2010-10-01 4:37 PM uhcoog

Tri Night at Bicycles Plus (Coppell)

Started by jason45
Views: 1276 Posts: 1

2010-09-22 4:17 PM jason45

City of Dallas Bicycle Advisory Committe

Started by bmcgee
Views: 1092 Posts: 3

2010-02-02 4:37 PM KenD

Houston Moonlight Bicycle Ramble

Started by davidb
Views: 756 Posts: 1

2007-10-25 9:51 AM davidb

TxDot ELIMINATES bicycle faciltiy funding

Started by jashac
Views: 1331 Posts: 5

2007-01-12 12:00 PM tri_sandz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.

date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.
date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.

date : August 5, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Is your bike seat uncomfortable? Are your parts going numb? This article discusses the important concepts of bicycle seat neuropathy, treatment and prevention.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : March 19, 2007
author : Team BT
Ab Bicycle abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.