General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape to Miami - Sprint Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-04 9:28 AM

User image

Subject: Escape to Miami - Sprint Course : Official Thread
Anyone out there doing the Sprint? I know there's about a 1-3/4 hour wait between transition closing and the Sprint wave taking off. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts about how to stay ready and get the timing of nutrition correct, given the delay. Also, any training tips for dealing with the hotter-than-usual race time. (I'm usually done by 8:15 for a 7:00 AM sprint start!). I also looked at the wave starts, and they have the Men 40+ starting AFTER the women. Makes no sense. Thoughts?

2014-09-12 12:59 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Escape to Miami - Sprint Course : Official Thread
I'm doing the Oly and it will be my first time doing the race. There are a couple of race reports here on BT from the sprint last year which may help you. Personally I like the delay because doing an Oly at the same time and on the same course as a sprint is tough for pacing and can be frustrating as well. I did that on the Mack Cycle trilogy and there was one woman "racing" me during the run and being kind of annoyingly competitive when she was doing the sprint and I was doing the Oly. I thrive on competition, but that was annoying since we were doing two different races. That goes for any dual distance races though. That being said, having to wait that long after the transition area closes stinks for you guys. In my opinion they should have just made a second transition area so you wouldn't be forced to get there and set up so much earlier than your race start. It looks like it's going to be one heck of a cool tri though. Good luck!!
2014-09-12 3:10 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Originally posted by 3mar

I'm doing the Oly and it will be my first time doing the race. There are a couple of race reports here on BT from the sprint last year which may help you. Personally I like the delay because doing an Oly at the same time and on the same course as a sprint is tough for pacing and can be frustrating as well. I did that on the Mack Cycle trilogy and there was one woman "racing" me during the run and being kind of annoyingly competitive when she was doing the sprint and I was doing the Oly. I thrive on competition, but that was annoying since we were doing two different races. That goes for any dual distance races though. That being said, having to wait that long after the transition area closes stinks for you guys. In my opinion they should have just made a second transition area so you wouldn't be forced to get there and set up so much earlier than your race start. It looks like it's going to be one heck of a cool tri though. Good luck!!

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to a guy here locally who said that even the Oly waves have a wait. He caught the ferry early and ended up waiting on the island for a while last year. He was none too pleased about it. At least we will have you guys to watch! That should be well worth it. I'm just going to spend the extra time stretching and warming up, because the bridges will definitely be testing my legs. The other race reports from the Sprint just vented about the wait. I hear you about the annoying runner. It would be one thing if it was a guy in your AG, who might now know any better (unless, of course, they mark the Oly and Sprint racers differently). I've been in races with a Sprint and a duathlon simultaneously, and I honestly can't tell the two apart easily. Looking to make it one of my first Olys next year. Good luck to you, too, and have a blast!

2014-09-12 3:38 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by PsyTri

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to a guy here locally who said that even the Oly waves have a wait. He caught the ferry early and ended up waiting on the island for a while last year. He was none too pleased about it. At least we will have you guys to watch! That should be well worth it. I'm just going to spend the extra time stretching and warming up, because the bridges will definitely be testing my legs. The other race reports from the Sprint just vented about the wait. I hear you about the annoying runner. It would be one thing if it was a guy in your AG, who might now know any better (unless, of course, they mark the Oly and Sprint racers differently). I've been in races with a Sprint and a duathlon simultaneously, and I honestly can't tell the two apart easily. Looking to make it one of my first Olys next year. Good luck to you, too, and have a blast!

You know, I noticed that the ferry pick up time for me was 4:30am and the race doesn't start until 7:00. I thought it was a misprint or something. That would get us out to the island WAY early. I guess they really want us to wait.
2014-09-12 10:22 PM
in reply to: #5046791

User image

Wonder if it's worth an email to the RD to see if there is a later ferry time.
2014-09-15 11:39 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

I took your advice and sent them an email. The website shows a ferry time of 4:45am and a start time of 7:00am. For an island that's less than a mile away, that would be one heck of a wait. The RD wrote back saying that 4:45 is just when the first ferry will start filling up. Once they fill up, they leave then come back. He said the last one would likely leave around 6:15, so I can wait. Glad I found that out. I'm much more relaxed now.

2014-09-15 12:17 PM

User image

Great to hear. I'll remember that one for next year! Might be nice to have a little more time to mentally prepare without all the "hurry up lets go" nerves from sitting on the island (although it might give that "escape" vibe some are looking for!).

2014-09-15 3:07 PM

User image

One more thing. Looking at the splits from last year's race, it looks like the best transition times are around 1:15. Seems a bit longer than expected. Any insights? Just the sheer number of racers? Do they keep the racks segregated by Oly/Sprint?
2014-09-15 3:42 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
The transition area looks gigantic from the photos. I think it's just one combined area. I'm terrible at transitions anyway, so maybe it will help if everyone else is slowed a bit.
2014-09-15 4:05 PM

User image

I'm glad we're not in the same wave, or you might trip me as I run by!
2014-09-15 6:17 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Oooh....tripping....I hadn't thought of that yet.

On another topic, do you know if tops are required for men? I'd prefer to just go with shorts as I felt the top slowed me down on the last race but wasn't sure.

2014-09-15 6:46 PM

User image

New user
Hollywood, FL
Hey guys

I'm also doing the Olympic distance and was wondering about the very early ferry time; so, thanks for the clarification!

I took your advice and sent them an email. The website shows a ferry time of 4:45am and a start time of 7:00am. For an island that's less than a mile away, that would be one heck of a wait. The RD wrote back saying that 4:45 is just when the first ferry will start filling up. Once they fill up, they leave then come back. He said the last one would likely leave around 6:15, so I can wait. Glad I found that out. I'm much more relaxed now.
2014-09-15 7:15 PM
in reply to: ccjr

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by ccjr

Hey guys

I'm also doing the Olympic distance and was wondering about the very early ferry time; so, thanks for the clarification!

No problem and good luck.
2014-09-16 8:22 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

One more thing. Looking at the splits from last year's race, it looks like the best transition times are around 1:15. Seems a bit longer than expected. Any insights? Just the sheer number of racers? Do they keep the racks segregated by Oly/Sprint?

Here is the picture of the transition area I had found before. Looks quite large.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (80KB - 1 downloads)
2014-09-16 8:40 AM

User image

Don't see the pic, but that's ok. Thanks.
2014-09-16 9:13 AM

User image

Miami
I am signed up for the Oly as well (not sure if I will be doing it, since I have an IM the following week. I will decide the night before). Just to clarify, you are saying we can get on the ferry at 6.15 at the latest?? That makes it a lot more appealing than a 4.30 am ferry and having to wait for a couple of hours in an island...

2014-09-16 9:17 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by davidfedez

I am signed up for the Oly as well (not sure if I will be doing it, since I have an IM the following week. I will decide the night before). Just to clarify, you are saying we can get on the ferry at 6.15 at the latest?? That makes it a lot more appealing than a 4.30 am ferry and having to wait for a couple of hours in an island...

That is what the RD said. But note, he said the ferries would leave as they are full and the last one would "likely" leave around 6:15am. I'm probably going to plan to catch the ferry at 5:45ish to give me time on the island to warm up.
2014-09-16 11:31 AM

User image

I see the pic now! Interesting to note that it looks like the entire south 2/3 of the transition area has no bikes! It would seem that the oly waves must have all cleared out, leaving the sprints. For those of you who have been before, does that sound about right? (I'm doing the sprint).
2014-09-23 8:59 AM

User image

Hey, guys! If you are still out there, can you weigh in on the restrictions on the size of transition bags?

I'm going down Saturday, but if anyone is going down beforehand, maybe you can ask about this. They give max dimensions on the website, but I'm thinking it must be once the bag is empty. Why would they put a restriction on a full bag? The stuff will be offloaded, leaving an empty bag that can be rolled down and stowed away. Just want to know what they mean and how to measure it - full or empty?

Thanks.
2014-09-23 5:37 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by PsyTri I see the pic now! Interesting to note that it looks like the entire south 2/3 of the transition area has no bikes! It would seem that the oly waves must have all cleared out, leaving the sprints. For those of you who have been before, does that sound about right? (I'm doing the sprint).

Yes, the oly folks will all be gone or almost all gone b/c the sprint starts so much after the oly.  I can't remember now if it starts after the oly swim is closed or not, but it certainly doesn't start until the very last few oly swimmers are on the course at best.

The transition area is quite large and crowded.

2014-09-23 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by PsyTri Hey, guys! If you are still out there, can you weigh in on the restrictions on the size of transition bags? I'm going down Saturday, but if anyone is going down beforehand, maybe you can ask about this. They give max dimensions on the website, but I'm thinking it must be once the bag is empty. Why would they put a restriction on a full bag? The stuff will be offloaded, leaving an empty bag that can be rolled down and stowed away. Just want to know what they mean and how to measure it - full or empty? Thanks.

As I recall from last year, the transition bag is a standard size packet pick up size bag - although plastic with a draw string and you can cram stuff in it, but lots of people just wore their helmet and carried shoes rather than trying to get them into the bag.

2014-09-24 1:00 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by PsyTri Hey, guys! If you are still out there, can you weigh in on the restrictions on the size of transition bags? I'm going down Saturday, but if anyone is going down beforehand, maybe you can ask about this. They give max dimensions on the website, but I'm thinking it must be once the bag is empty. Why would they put a restriction on a full bag? The stuff will be offloaded, leaving an empty bag that can be rolled down and stowed away. Just want to know what they mean and how to measure it - full or empty? Thanks.

As I recall from last year, the transition bag is a standard size packet pick up size bag - although plastic with a draw string and you can cram stuff in it, but lots of people just wore their helmet and carried shoes rather than trying to get them into the bag.

Thanks. I got an email saying they are allowing "normal sized transition bags" that they will evaluate once packed. They want to stop people from bringing "suit cases and over sized bags." I'm going to pack and bring my bag at Saturday's drop-off. If it does not pass their size test, I'll know to bring something else Sunday.

Good luck and happy racing!
2014-09-25 2:16 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Looking good on the weather so far (as good as you can get for this time of year anyway). They're calling for 40% chance of rain, which is relatively low for right now, so it doesn't look like a rain out and the temps should be high 70's to low 80's with winds around 11 mph. Let's hope it all holds up. I don't want to get poured on, but I certainly don't want sunny either.
2014-09-27 5:09 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I hope you guys are all checked in. Good luck tomorrow!!!
2014-09-27 8:07 PM

User image

I don't even know what to say. A half hour before I was to pack up to leave for check-in, I was doing some last-minute transition practices on my bike, with flying mount and dismount. On my last rep, I wrecked my bike, and injured my foot. It's too bruised and swollen to run on, so I didn't bother going down to check in. I won't be racing tomorrow, but I wish you the best of luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape to Miami - Sprint Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Treasure Coast Challenge - Sprint Course : Official Thread

Started by PsyTri
Views: 1149 Posts: 1

2013-10-18 2:06 PM PsyTri

HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Sprint Course : Official Thread

Started by Pablo01
Views: 1668 Posts: 4

2012-01-06 12:45 PM TrkHilo2k

FIT - Florida International Triathlon: Sprint Course : Official Thread

Started by cwpeters
Views: 2359 Posts: 13

2011-05-13 6:14 PM RedCorvette

Escape From Fort Desoto : Official Thread

Started by cwpeters
Views: 2088 Posts: 7

2011-04-15 1:11 PM ajusf16

Mack Cycle Tri Miami - Sprint : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by alexcall
Views: 4444 Posts: 37

2009-05-07 8:44 PM Socks
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.