General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oktoberfest Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-07 1:15 PM

User image

Subject: Oktoberfest Tri
Oh Snap!! Just registered for my first Tri event. This ought to be good. If you see someone possibly drowning, it might be me... I didn't register as a first timer, rather as an age-grouper. I trust my fitness.

I saw a few others registered as well. Let's all say hi before/after the event. I'm easy to find... 6'3", rail thin, with a distinct beard.

2014-09-07 3:46 PM
in reply to: S_Franklin99

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Oktoberfest Tri

Originally posted by S_Franklin99 Oh Snap!! Just registered for my first Tri event. This ought to be good. If you see someone possibly drowning, it might be me... I didn't register as a first timer, rather as an age-grouper. I trust my fitness. I saw a few others registered as well. Let's all say hi before/after the event. I'm easy to find... 6'3", rail thin, with a distinct beard.

Very cool!  I'll be there.  I'm an age grouper too, W45-49.  It's my 2nd tri.  I'll be in an Orca Predator wetsuit, white/orchid/grey tri suit, and I'm 5'7" with short brown hair.  Looking forward to seeing you.  rrrunner will also be there from NM.  She's about my height with shoulder-length brown hair.

Rode the bike route yesterday.  It was a little nerve-wracking with all the traffic whizzing by but it's pretty easy.  A few mild ups and false flats, a couple of mild descents, nothing too challenging.  It'll be a good one for you to start with.  Hope to run into you!

2014-09-07 4:09 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Awesome….. Stay Strong You Two
2014-09-07 6:34 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Originally posted by laffinrock
Rode the bike route yesterday.  It was a little nerve-wracking with all the traffic whizzing by but it's pretty easy.  A few mild ups and false flats, a couple of mild descents, nothing too challenging.  It'll be a good one for you to start with.  Hope to run into you!

Good to know. I'm planning to go Brick it on Thursday. I'll be on the lookout for ya.
2014-09-08 9:39 AM

User image

I will be there too and it is my first tri also. I'm 6'2" and registered as a Clydesdale so you get the picture however, I'm not sure the penalty if I fall below 220 lbs before the race?

I haven't figured out a wetsuit yet, but I have a bright yellow Lazer helmet which accents the yellow tires and grips on my otherwise black Felt bike. Obnoxious... I know, but I purchased the bike second hand and that was the color scheme so I decided to just go with it. I would make a lot of sense if I were a Steelers fan.

I'm hoping to get out this weekend to ride the bike course and possibly do a S-B brick. Does anyone know if OW swimming is allowed outside an event?

It will be cool to connect with fellow BT'ers there especially ones that are new to the sport. I'll keep my eyes out for you all as best I can but I'm sure I'll be fussing around with all my gear.
2014-09-08 11:53 AM
in reply to: driftin' by

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by driftin' by I will be there too and it is my first tri also. I'm 6'2" and registered as a Clydesdale so you get the picture however, I'm not sure the penalty if I fall below 220 lbs before the race? I haven't figured out a wetsuit yet, but I have a bright yellow Lazer helmet which accents the yellow tires and grips on my otherwise black Felt bike. Obnoxious... I know, but I purchased the bike second hand and that was the color scheme so I decided to just go with it. I would make a lot of sense if I were a Steelers fan. I'm hoping to get out this weekend to ride the bike course and possibly do a S-B brick. Does anyone know if OW swimming is allowed outside an event? It will be cool to connect with fellow BT'ers there especially ones that are new to the sport. I'll keep my eyes out for you all as best I can but I'm sure I'll be fussing around with all my gear.

Here's the link for swim beach hours:  http://www.longmontcolorado.gov/departments/departments-n-z/parks-open-space-trails/union-reservoir-park/fees-and-hours-at-union (scroll down a bit for hours).  I'm going to do a BR brick on the race course Sunday morning in case anybody wants to meet up then.

As for the wetsuit, you can rent at REI or even go without depending on your tolerance for cold.  The water temp was in the mid 70's on Sat.

2014-09-08 2:21 PM

User image

I'm not even thinking about a wetsuit for this... Ya'll are gonna laugh at my rusty bike but at least I have new running shoes. I'm thinking this will be a nice baseline by which to gauge my progression at the start of next year and the Boulder Sprint.

I'll be sure to post a temperature report on Thursday when I go check out the courses.
2014-09-08 3:20 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I promise not to laugh.  We all start somewhere.  The only reason I have a somewhat nicer bike is that I got a super deal on it.  Until then, I was training on my 20 y.o. Schwinn Super Sport "road" bike.  I've seen people on mountain bikes, cruisers, you name it.  When you first start out, it's more about the engine than the bike anyway.

As for the wetsuit, I'll take all the help I can get.  The extra flotation is actually really nice.  I'm an okay swimmer, but it's helpful to know that if I stop kicking, I'm not going to sink!!

2014-09-09 9:20 AM

User image

Originally posted by driftin' by I will be there too and it is my first tri also. I'm 6'2" and registered as a Clydesdale so you get the picture however, I'm not sure the penalty if I fall below 220 lbs before the race? I haven't figured out a wetsuit yet, but I have a bright yellow Lazer helmet which accents the yellow tires and grips on my otherwise black Felt bike. Obnoxious... I know, but I purchased the bike second hand and that was the color scheme so I decided to just go with it. I would make a lot of sense if I were a Steelers fan. I'm hoping to get out this weekend to ride the bike course and possibly do a S-B brick. Does anyone know if OW swimming is allowed outside an event? It will be cool to connect with fellow BT'ers there especially ones that are new to the sport. I'll keep my eyes out for you all as best I can but I'm sure I'll be fussing around with all my gear.

Here's the link for swim beach hours:  http://www.longmontcolorado.gov/departments/departments-n-z/parks-open-space-trails/union-reservoir-park/fees-and-hours-at-union (scroll down a bit for hours).  I'm going to do a BR brick on the race course Sunday morning in case anybody wants to meet up then.

As for the wetsuit, you can rent at REI or even go without depending on your tolerance for cold.  The water temp was in the mid 70's on Sat.

Thanks for the link and info Mary. Immediately after posting yesterday, I found the same information. If I'm reading it right, it'll be $16 to enter the park and go for a swim? That's a bit rich considering that it costs me nothing to hop into Aurora Reservoir for an OW swim. I live near and can walk in and they don't charge anything to swim however, it is on the verge of being too cold which brings me to my wetsuit dilemma.

I'm a long time diver and have wetsuits-a-plenty and figured I would just don a 3mm full suit I have laying around. While doing my first OW swim last weekend in this wetsuit, I very quickly became accustomed to what the differences might be between a diving wetsuit versus a Tri-specific wetsuit. The collar was suffocating, it restricted my arm movement and it didn't provide much buoyancy. Admittedly, it's about a 10- year old, budget wetsuit that I purchased on a whim before a trip to dive cenotes in Mexico so in terms of quality materials such as good wrist seals that don't chafe and supple neoprene, they don't exist with this wetsuit. This has left me scrambling just 2 weeks before the race to find a solution. I've inquired around about rentals and I hate spending $50 which amounts to 25% or more of the cost to purchase one. However, buying a new one now for what will the the last race I will need one for, for the next 8 or more months when I see myself loosing 20-30 more pounds doesn't make a lot of sense either. Ugh! I'll look into REI's rentals... their prices are very reasonable for members but I never thought they would rent tri-specific wetsuits. Thanks for the tip!

2014-09-09 9:35 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by driftin' by

Thanks for the link and info Mary. Immediately after posting yesterday, I found the same information. If I'm reading it right, it'll be $16 to enter the park and go for a swim? That's a bit rich considering that it costs me nothing to hop into Aurora Reservoir for an OW swim. I live near and can walk in and they don't charge anything to swim however, it is on the verge of being too cold which brings me to my wetsuit dilemma. I'm a long time diver and have wetsuits-a-plenty and figured I would just don a 3mm full suit I have laying around. While doing my first OW swim last weekend in this wetsuit, I very quickly became accustomed to what the differences might be between a diving wetsuit versus a Tri-specific wetsuit. The collar was suffocating, it restricted my arm movement and it didn't provide much buoyancy. Admittedly, it's about a 10- year old, budget wetsuit that I purchased on a whim before a trip to dive cenotes in Mexico so in terms of quality materials such as good wrist seals that don't chafe and supple neoprene, they don't exist with this wetsuit. This has left me scrambling just 2 weeks before the race to find a solution. I've inquired around about rentals and I hate spending $50 which amounts to 25% or more of the cost to purchase one. However, buying a new one now for what will the the last race I will need one for, for the next 8 or more months when I see myself loosing 20-30 more pounds doesn't make a lot of sense either. Ugh! I'll look into REI's rentals... their prices are very reasonable for members but I never thought they would rent tri-specific wetsuits. Thanks for the tip!

I don't know that REI has tri-specific rentals.  Just look for a sleeveless one and make sure that whatever you get is within USAT guidelines for thickness.  (I think it's 5mm but don't quote me on that.)  With the water temp being what it is, you don't need to worry about having good wrist seals.  I swam in Aurora Res with a sleeveless suit in August when it was in the low 70's and I was fine.  You may have the same issues with the neck - a lot of people do.  I've heard of people trimming their own suits into a u-line to eliminate that strangling feeling.  Also, do a quick search on the Tri Talk and Gear/Equipment forums.  There's a mail order company that lets you apply the cost of a rental toward the purchase of new wetsuit.  Sorry, I can't remember the name and don't have time to look it up right now. 

I don't know that there's an extra charge to use the swim beach.  Entrance to the reservoir is $8, but yeah, if you can walk into Aurora Res, go for it.  Saves you a drive too!

2014-09-10 2:40 PM

User image

Yeah, REI was a no go but your suggestion got me calling around. Lucky for me, I found a number of shops selling their rental fleet but prices ranged from ridiculous to reasonable and even inconsistent between shops under the same name. I scored a 11/12 model of a Blueseventy Reaction wetsuit in my size for a $100 which was just $25 more that it would cost to rent for the weekend. Fits good and only has a few small finger nail tears. Also I could probably loose still loose 20 pounds and it should still fit so I figure unless I go gonzo this winter with training, I'll probably be able to wear it next season and beyond. Best of all, it bares the shop logo as if I'm sponsored! So it's off to Aurora Reservoir after work for some OW swimming.

FWIW, just about all online/mail order wet suit rental services I researched offered a purchase credit on a rental but each varied and none were very attractive deals.

The reason for wanting to swim at union is because I believe there to be about a 8-10 degree water temp difference at the moment. Aurora temps are plummeting and is downright cold now and I bet it's well below 70. Also, I was wanting to make the drive to ride the bike course but alas, all best laid plans go awry. My daughter's soccer game was moved to Castle Rock at 9 AM on Saturday.

2014-09-11 5:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

It's a great race, have fun!

2014-09-11 11:48 PM

User image

The weather today sucked a big one. I rode to Longmont with the intent of scoping the course and water temp, but mother nature laughed at me. I rode a small part of the bike course, seemed fairly easy, but then ducked over to a friends to warm up before slogging home. Thank god for under armor...
2014-09-14 1:47 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Rode the course again today.  Hope they sweep it; there's a ton of dirt clods, both smashed and not.  Not fun.  In general, though, the course is pretty easy.  A few little rollers but nothing too hard.  The water temp is 64* though so if there was any question about whether or not to wear a wetsuit, DO!!  I doubt it'll warm up much between now and next Sun.

Josh, so cool that you got a wetsuit for such a great deal!!

Looking forward to meeting everybody.  Keeping my fingers crossed on the weather!!!!!

2014-09-14 3:44 PM
in reply to: #5047623

Centennial, Colorado
What shop had the wetsuits on sale?

Thanks
2014-09-18 11:32 PM
in reply to: Wrightjoseph

User image

I rented a wetsuit... I hate being cold... Just saw an estimated Temp of 59* +-4. Getting excited. Is anyone else going to take advantage of their OWS time on Saturday, 8:15am to 10:15a? I am.

2014-09-19 10:10 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Yikes, that's chilly!  Where did you see that info?  Not planning to swim on Sat.  I'm looking forward to the lower air temperatures, though.  I much prefer 70's to the hotter weather we've been having this week!

2014-09-19 11:02 PM

User image

I found it on a fishing Website...

http://www.fishingnotes.com/lakeinfo.php?id=3090

Today it's listed at 60*
2014-09-20 8:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Been laying low this past week. Wasn't sure if I was going to be able to race after wrecking pretty bad on my bike doing a brick last Sunday. Typical gnarly gash on left forearm and road rash on left hip, waist, thigh and shoulder. Worst part is the feeling of a broken rib that makes it painful to breath deep. Funny thing is, up to that point I was contemplating how I was going to taper my training after that brick... turns out, NOTHING! Going to get in a quick pool swim, jog and bike this morning just to see how all my broken bits respond. Picked up the sweet swag bag last night and am totally stoked! I'm not missing it for anything.

I registered as a Clydesdale- red cap in the third wave with the Elites and young'uns!?!? Was hoping to be in a later wave as not to get in anyone's way.

Looking forward to seeing you "e-mates" on the course tomorrow. Good luck to you all!

Originally posted by Wrightjoseph

What shop had the wetsuits on sale?

End of season sales are going on everywhere. I got mine at Runner's Roost.

Originally posted by S_Franklin99

I found it on a fishing Website...

http://www.fishingnotes.com/lakeinfo.php?id=3090

Today it's listed at 60*

I don't believe this is an actual reading... it says estimated and fluctuates closely with air temperature. WLP posted on their Facebook page that it was 70 on 9/18 which is much closer to what I would expect. Regardless, it's all relative in the end. Too cold? Swim faster!

Edited by driftin' by 2014-09-20 9:04 AM
2014-09-20 1:08 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by S_Franklin99 I found it on a fishing Website... http://www.fishingnotes.com/lakeinfo.php?id=3090Today it's listed at 60*

I found that yesterday too.  Evidently at packet pickup, they were telling people that the temp was in the low 70's.  Don't know which is right but I guess it doesn't really matter.  I only have 1 wetsuit so I'm just going to have to deal with whatever comes.  I'll probably throw on a long-sleeve jersey for the run to help me warm up a little if it is in fact that cold.

2014-09-20 1:15 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Yeah, that swag bag was pretty sweet!  Lots of good stuff and not too much paper.  Josh, bummer about the crash, but glad that you decided to go for it anyway.

I'll be in wave 9 (blue cap), W45-49, bib #591.  Another BTer from NM is in the same wave.  She's way faster than me so I figure I'll wish her well at the beginning and she can cheer me in at the end.

I've been taking it easy on my training this week.  The heat really got to me during my run on Tues. and I ended up walking the last half so I wouldn't throw up.  Did a short swim (800 yds) and ride today and feel okay, although not super.  I'm just planning to focus on finishing and enjoying the gorgeous weather.  Looking forward to meeting you all.

2014-09-20 11:27 PM
in reply to: #5047623

User image

I went to the ows session at the race site this morning. It wasn't 60*. Definitely closer to 70*. Don't expect to see further than your fingers in the water. The bike course looked alright except for the stretch heading into the reservoir, very dirty clumpy. Weld County needs to spend some fracking money on road maintenence.

Can't wait to meet everyone. Like I said earlier, I'm easy to find, so be sure to say hi.
2014-09-21 1:23 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Sorry I missed you.  Had a great race except for the fact that I missed the 2nd swim buoy, which resulted in a DQ.  Didn't feel much like socializing after confirming that with the RD.  Maybe next time.  Hope you all had fun.  So what's next?  Think you 1st timers will keep doing tri's next year or at indoor events over the winter?

2014-09-21 1:48 PM
in reply to: #5052456

User image

31st in group, 389 overall 94:21 total time. 22:30 swim :-( 4:05 T1 40:00 bike :-) 2:30 T2 25:12 run.
Overall not bad. My swim was dreadful. The rest was great. Blasted the bike, stayed in my top 3 gears the whole ride. Wanted to go faster, need a better bike... I struggled to find my spot for T2. The run was good, could have gone faster. Learned a lot.
2014-09-21 3:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Bummer on the DQ. I saw a lot of interesting beards but could never quite pinpoint you.

I podium'd and got 3rd as a Clydesdale with a 1:35:05. Doesn't say too much with such a small field but all I wanted to do was finish for it being my first race and considering where I was when I started this journey just 7 short weeks ago and really were I was just a week ago all banged up after my wreck. Thought it was a good race if that means much from a first time racer although I've had my hand in volunteering in a few so far.

The swim was nice and water was very warm compared to Aurora Reservoir... I actually got hot but finished in 17:14- a LOT faster than the 20:00 I was hoping for but jeez, it sure didn't feel like it. I guess it was due to the washing machine, getting passed by the next wave and struggling the first half to pass fellow Clydesdale that were seemingly swimming a zig-zag pattern.

I too was fast on the bike, 39:53 and only got passed by people with really, really nice bikes but that isn't saying much for my really, really nice $250 bike. The course was a bit sketchy at times- muddy road in and out of reservoir, 100 yards of dirt road after and before dismount, railroad crossings (2 of them) and narrow shoulders on 60 MPH highways but I survived and the rest was really quite beautiful!

But the run, ugggggh! Did I mention I hate running? Especially on rutted/loose gravel roads. I thought they could have graded that road if not to displace the 2-3 Inch round stones that littered the first and last .75 mile stretch! But I got through it without passing a single person in a scant 32:54 when I was targeting 35:00.

Yeah, I'm hooked! I'm signed up for the Boulder Ironman 70.3 on 6/13/15. My cousin that suckered me into this masochistic sport while watching him at IM Boulder 7 weeks ago is racing with me. He just invited me to do a full IM in Canada in August of next year, but I don't know.... I really like the local races and honestly, it cost a good chunk of Benjamin's for a full IM especially when travel is involved. If I can resist him talking me into that, I'll definitely be back for the Oktoberfest Tri and will most likely do every race in my backyard at B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L Aurora Reservoir. I'm just trying to figure out how to stay motivated over the winter months with indoor training and what endurance races (running, duathalon, offroad, snowboard, 24-hour beer drinking, indoor tris) I can enter between now and Boulder IM 70.3 next June.

Edited by driftin' by 2014-09-21 3:26 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oktoberfest Tri Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Oktoberfest?

Started by doctorbob18
Views: 1548 Posts: 9

2009-09-28 6:58 PM julta

Oktoberfest Triathlon Longmont

Started by fildiablo
Views: 1681 Posts: 3

2009-08-30 4:40 AM fildiablo

Oktoberfest Sprint - Longmont, Sept 6

Started by FF Stock
Views: 1034 Posts: 3

2008-08-19 10:07 PM FF Stock

Boy's First Tri - Tri The Rock

Started by bvfrompc
Views: 815 Posts: 2

2008-06-05 11:57 AM rayd

Ft. Collins Club Tri Roll Call

Started by TriForrestTri
Views: 1202 Posts: 15

2005-09-10 10:52 PM line
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
author : SrhShepherd
comments : 9
How triathlon helped me become the person I wanted to be

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
comments : 0
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !