General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bonking consistently, what to do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-12 10:12 PM

Subject: bonking consistently, what to do?
Rode 56 today. 3:30+ It got into the low 90s. Once it got hot I was in the hurt box. The last 8 miles it was nearly impossible to maintain 17mph. I'm drinking Perpetuem 1 bottle per hour. A couple of Gu's also. Endurolytes every 1.5 hours. Had a good breakfast before hand. At 40 miles I HAD to stop. Drank a Powerade and took a large bottle of water (half on my head) the other half in my bottle. The rest of the ride I was thinking I'll DNF on race day if this happens again.
Thing is, every time it gets hot I bonk! The last miles I had to will my legs to pedal. I mean WILL! It felt like my energy was completely drained. After I sat for 30 minutes I was feeling a lot better so I ran a mile. I think that's because I drank another powerade and another big bottle of water.
This like I say has happened before. Which is why I bought the perpetuem. I'm a big guy. 250lbs and my black kit is covered in salt post race or ride. I've been riding for years. Racing only 1 though.
Can you folks help a fellow BTer???
Thanks

2014-09-12 10:14 PM
in reply to: respro

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: bonking consistently, what to do?

You're going out too fast and overriding your fitness. 

2014-09-12 10:19 PM

User image

, North Carolina
How much water did you drink on the ride?

How much water did you drink the day before?

I tried perpetuum on the advice of a fellow endurance athlete, didn't work well for me. But, of course I was trying something new on race day.

I think that key to you whole post is that you drank another powerade and water and then ran a mile. You might just not be drinking enough on the ride.

Did you have to stop and pee during your 3.5 hour ride? What color was your urine that morning? Yesterday? The day before?
2014-09-12 10:20 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

, North Carolina
Oh, and riding by the speedometer is a good way to hurt yourself! Learned that lesson too! HR my friend HR.
2014-09-12 10:24 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by respro

Rode 56 today. 3:30+ It got into the low 90s. Once it got hot I was in the hurt box. The last 8 miles it was nearly impossible to maintain 17mph. I'm drinking Perpetuem 1 bottle per hour. A couple of Gu's also. Endurolytes every 1.5 hours. Had a good breakfast before hand. At 40 miles I HAD to stop. Drank a Powerade and took a large bottle of water (half on my head) the other half in my bottle. The rest of the ride I was thinking I'll DNF on race day if this happens again.
Thing is, every time it gets hot I bonk! The last miles I had to will my legs to pedal. I mean WILL! It felt like my energy was completely drained. After I sat for 30 minutes I was feeling a lot better so I ran a mile. I think that's because I drank another powerade and another big bottle of water.
This like I say has happened before. Which is why I bought the perpetuem. I'm a big guy. 250lbs and my black kit is covered in salt post race or ride. I've been riding for years. Racing only 1 though.
Can you folks help a fellow BTer???
Thanks

When i ride i do my nutrition as if im doing my race so for a 56 miler i still do 250-300 Cals / hr. , 1 Gu per 30 mins i usually use up 24 Oz scratch per hour. Here in Texas we normally ride on those tempts i pour water to myself every 30 mins.
2014-09-12 10:43 PM

No water on the ride till mile 40. Perpetuem in all my bottles.
No water the day before. A slew of coke zero.
That Powerade at mile 40 was the best tasting drink I've had in decades.
I use the large Polar bottles. Bigger than standard.
Didn't have to pee until I got home at 4:00. 7.5 hours between peeing. Pee when I got home was almost dark yellow.

2014-09-12 10:47 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Started slower than usual intentionally. Wanted to save gas for the run. Didn't help. I've rode this course with zero problems before. Only cooler.
2014-09-12 10:49 PM

I noticed that when I started "feeling the pain" my HR was way high and stayed that way for the rest of the ride. I need to get a HR monitor.
2014-09-13 12:16 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by respro

No water on the ride till mile 40. Perpetuem in all my bottles.
No water the day before. A slew of coke zero.
That Powerade at mile 40 was the best tasting drink I've had in decades.
I use the large Polar bottles. Bigger than standard.
Didn't have to pee until I got home at 4:00. 7.5 hours between peeing. Pee when I got home was almost dark yellow.

The problem is pretty clear...you have basic, fundamental nutrition/hydration issues. (can you see it ? )

What's your daily non-training nutrition like besides the coke zero?
2014-09-13 12:24 AM

Coke Zero?

Really?

Kick the habit.

Looks like you went out too fast. Have you worked out your heart rate zones based on a LT test?
2014-09-13 6:48 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by respro No water on the ride till mile 40. Perpetuem in all my bottles. No water the day before. A slew of coke zero. That Powerade at mile 40 was the best tasting drink I've had in decades. I use the large Polar bottles. Bigger than standard. Didn't have to pee until I got home at 4:00. 7.5 hours between peeing. Pee when I got home was almost dark yellow.

this is important...even if you WEREN'T attempting a 3 hour bike ride, your body needs more water to function.  please, for the sake of your kidneys, drink water!

2014-09-13 7:10 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by respro No water on the ride till mile 40. Perpetuem in all my bottles. No water the day before. A slew of coke zero. That Powerade at mile 40 was the best tasting drink I've had in decades. I use the large Polar bottles. Bigger than standard. Didn't have to pee until I got home at 4:00. 7.5 hours between peeing. Pee when I got home was almost dark yellow.

this is important...even if you WEREN'T attempting a 3 hour bike ride, your body needs more water to function.  please, for the sake of your kidneys, drink water!

By what you are describing you are way under-hydrated.  I have to agree with others.  Drink water every day.  Drink it with every meal and drink it when you are thirsty in between.  Drop the coke zero, it is doing nothing for you nutritionally.  Proper hydration takes more than just drinking during or just before a workout. Hydrating down to the cellular level takes time.  Drink plenty of water every day!

2014-09-13 8:24 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Are you saying you took no fluid until mile 40? Or that you took no water until mile 40?

How many oz did you drink of all fluids during your ride?

Clearly you need to slow down when it is hotter than normal. You shouldn't base your effort level on some predetermined mph goal you have.

Many of us slow down with same effort or HR when it is hotter, but more so on the run than the bike.

2014-09-13 8:50 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Sad to say but I have a bad nutrition plan. I still eat whatever I want and don't drink water unless I know I'll be training tomorrow. I drink lots of water then. Bad though, I'm up 2 or 3 times during the night going to the bathroom. I use 24 oz bottles for my rides. 2 scoops of perpetuem in each then fill with water. I had 3 bottles in 2.5 hours. Then stopped and got the Powerade and water and drank both like I was in the desert for 4 days! I drank 200+ ozs from morning breakfast to 4pm without peeing. I drank no water the day before this ride.
2014-09-13 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It sounds like dehydration, not true "bonking" (which is running out of gas, usually from a combo of too little nutrition and overly ambitious pacing). I'm less than half your size and in those conditions I'd probably go through three of the big Polar bottles; sometimes also put on an aerobottle, or stop to buy water or a sports drink. That's pushing three liters for a 3:30 ride (we're close in speed), and I'm a lot smaller, and have lived in the tropics for almost a decade. That amount of fluid (the max I can carry on my bike safely) still leaves me a slightly dehydrated, and I really need to make sure to keep hydrating after the ride for the rest of the day. Training in those conditions really requires a day-to-day commitment to staying hydrated--drinking extra before and after workouts, keeping a water bottle handy at work and on the road, etc.

There may also be a nutrition component. In extreme conditions, I find that I want/need to take in less nutrition than in more moderate ones. It takes fluid to get down the calories and break them down into energy, so if you're taking in too many calories it could actually be contributing to dehydration. I'd experiment with maybe less Perpeteum (It's a high-cal energy drink, right? Not familiar with it as I don't do well with liquid nutrition and have to use gu or solids instead.) and more plain water or water with an electrolyte tablet added.
2014-09-13 10:04 AM
in reply to: #5049664

User image

I agree with the previous posters. You were most likely dehydrated to start and then became more so as the day went on. Be more careful the 2-days before your ride to really carefully hydrate. Water and water with electrolytes in it. If you drink coke that's up to you but it's not doing you any favors. Then up your fluid on the bike. Your calories seem sufficient to me.

It's good that you stopped and drank water halfway and again at the end.

For reference guys I ride with who are big sweaters will drink as much as 50 ounces of water per hour. So one bottle of calories and at least one bottle of water.

2014-09-13 11:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

It's a 3 hour ride......you should be able to do that without any "nutrition".....but you need to drink from the start.  Don't try to complicate this, because it's not that complicated at a 3 hour bike ride.  Start slower, drink MORE water, enjoy.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-13 11:12 AM
2014-09-13 11:23 AM
in reply to: #5049664

User image

Extreme Veteran
Interesting to see the investigation unfolding here! I'll just add that you can't really effectively "cram " for proper hydration...in other words, it's as much how hydrated you are at a baseline daily thing vs. drinking alot during a hot workout.

Drink water consistently, daily. If I really want something that doesn't taste like water, I'll drink unsweetened tea or EmergenC. Better than Coke (though I know how hard it is to get off the stuff.)

Hope you'be found the solution!
2014-09-13 1:05 PM
in reply to: Shop Cat

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Water, water and more water!

Every day!

Its so simple!
2014-09-13 4:13 PM
in reply to: Joblin

User image

Denver, CO

One more thing:  don't just drink fluids when you feel thirsty.  By that time, you're already running low on hydration.  Try to keep a steady intake if possible rather than large amounts, then nothing.  That way your body has an opportunity to absorb it instead of it just flushing through.

2014-09-13 5:13 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

, Wisconsin
It's been pretty well covered, but I'll add that I think you may be drinking TOO much electrolyte. The fact that you mention being covered in salt crystals. I personally seem to do very well on just lots of water, no additives, chemicals, extra salt, just lots of water. For riding over about 2 1/2 to 3 hours I'll add maybe 200 calories about 1/2 way in the ride. Usually something homemade, real food, like PBJ or Bananas, etc. I'm just not a fan of most of the "sports" drinks and foods.

2014-09-13 5:15 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by MikeD1

It's been pretty well covered, but I'll add that I think you may be drinking TOO much electrolyte. The fact that you mention being covered in salt crystals. I personally seem to do very well on just lots of water, no additives, chemicals, extra salt, just lots of water. For riding over about 2 1/2 to 3 hours I'll add maybe 200 calories about 1/2 way in the ride. Usually something homemade, real food, like PBJ or Bananas, etc. I'm just not a fan of most of the "sports" drinks and foods.

Really?

How is that possible?

Shane
2014-09-13 5:18 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Probably more attention to hydration and better pacing will solve your problem.

Shane
2014-09-13 6:52 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by Left Brain

It's a 3 hour ride......you should be able to do that without any "nutrition".....but you need to drink from the start.  Don't try to complicate this, because it's not that complicated at a 3 hour bike ride.  Start slower, drink MORE water, enjoy.

This would be true for me as well. I can do a 3 hour ride without nutrition. But I drink water, lots of it, every day. So I start out with good hydration and a good breakfast. I have tried various drinks and most don't sit well in my stomach. Now I am hungry when I finish but 3 hours is easily doable.

One thing that does seem to work for me if I feel I need more than water is OJ & Whey powder. Fill a regular bottle half way with ice, put in the OJ & Whey and shake it up. The second bottle is always just water. Drink the OJ first though, warm it doesn't taste so good.

Then find a good pace and go. Pushing too hard in practice isn't any better than pushing too hard in a race if it makes you feel like you described.
2014-09-13 10:36 PM
in reply to: Shop Cat

Thanks everyone. I'm going to pay more attention to my hydration and drink lots of water every day. I'm riding the route again this coming week and hopefully that will help.
I've heard that triathlon is an individual and selfish sport.
You can't see that on this site. Thanks BT!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bonking consistently, what to do? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Bonking during run

Started by edwardskrod
Views: 782 Posts: 10

2006-09-25 7:21 AM edwardskrod

Bonking on the run - like every time...

Started by SBRSBRSBR
Views: 1078 Posts: 18

2006-08-16 3:18 PM Daremo

Am I bonking?

Started by Denise2003
Views: 849 Posts: 12

2006-06-14 5:22 PM kenail

I'm worried about bonking on the run (a bike question)

Started by glf33
Views: 814 Posts: 10

2004-07-15 11:00 AM Machiavelo

Bonking on the Run

Started by tboepple
Views: 927 Posts: 6

2004-06-21 10:39 PM tboepple
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : June 22, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
The race didn't really wear me out but it felt like my body was bonking. Do I really need Gatorade or some other sports drink after a race?
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 5, 2006
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
By not keeping pace with your carbohydrate stores during training, you quickly deplete the necessary fuel for your working muscles.