General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No stretching Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-15 6:14 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: No stretching

So I know this guy who is a high school cross country coach. He told me once that he never has his kids stretch out. To be clear, he didn't mean to say that they stretch after and not before working out, he literally meant that they never ever stretch. Does he know something that I don't? This seems a  little too cooky to me. I'm trying to remember his exact reasoning behind it, something like stretching either does nothing to help or leaves you more likely to be injured. I really didn't know what to say to him...

2014-09-15 6:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: No stretching

My son doesn't stretch before or after running.  He does stretching sessions that are not attached to a workout, but no stretching before or after.  Before he does a "dynamic warmup" consisting of drills, afterwards he does a cool down consisting of very slow running.  Stretching is a stand alone workout.  He does a hip routine, a lower back routine, and a shoulder routine in roughly 30 minutes.  It's not how I was taught, but he does well with it.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-15 6:21 PM
2014-09-15 6:28 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
I'm no expert here but I recently thought I was injured for a few months and finally went to the doctor. I found out I'm just really tight and he said I need to start doing some leg stretches and my hamstring is getting happier. I never used to stretch either, now I happily do it. I think afterwards is a good idea IME.
2014-09-15 9:24 PM
in reply to: #5050597

User image

, North Carolina
Flexibility is the key to injury prevention. Being flexible is very important. However, stretching directly before a workout doesn't always help. Being throughly warm is the key for the beginning and cooling down in the end

Basically, i think, the coach is a kook. He should be doing one or two work outs per week that focus on flexability. Making a group of teenagers run is hard, making the stretch is dang near impossible.
2014-09-15 9:52 PM
in reply to: Nick B

Originally posted by Nick B

Flexibility is the key to injury prevention. Being flexible is very important. However, stretching directly before a workout doesn't always help. Being throughly warm is the key for the beginning and cooling down in the end

Basically, i think, the coach is a kook. He should be doing one or two work outs per week that focus on flexability. Making a group of teenagers run is hard, making the stretch is dang near impossible.

There are studies that show that less flexible muscles are actually faster due to more elastic recoil.

Here are a few studies, there are more, this is what I pulled up with about 30 seconds of searching:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11774065
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19050648
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21610517

I wouldn't say the coach is a kook There are differing schools of thought on the subject, but I see no problem with no actual stretching.

I personally believe that with any physical activity, the best warmup is a less intense version of whatever you are going to be doing. So for running, I'll usually go from a slow jog to my easy pace within the first mile or two, and may do a little fartlek before any significant intensity.

I won't discount the benefit of running drills, which may improve overall running economy. But the focus of drills in my opinion should be increasing economy, not flexibility.
2014-09-15 10:41 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ImSore
Originally posted by Nick B Flexibility is the key to injury prevention. Being flexible is very important. However, stretching directly before a workout doesn't always help. Being throughly warm is the key for the beginning and cooling down in the end Basically, i think, the coach is a kook. He should be doing one or two work outs per week that focus on flexability. Making a group of teenagers run is hard, making the stretch is dang near impossible.
There are studies that show that less flexible muscles are actually faster due to more elastic recoil. Here are a few studies, there are more, this is what I pulled up with about 30 seconds of searching: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11774065http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19050648 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21610517I wouldn't say the coach is a kook There are differing schools of thought on the subject, but I see no problem with no actual stretching. I personally believe that with any physical activity, the best warmup is a less intense version of whatever you are going to be doing. So for running, I'll usually go from a slow jog to my easy pace within the first mile or two, and may do a little fartlek before any significant intensity. I won't discount the benefit of running drills, which may improve overall running economy. But the focus of drills in my opinion should be increasing economy, not flexibility.

I wasn't trying to imply that drills are for flexibility....they are, as you said, to help with run form.....but it also serves as a nice warmup vs. stretching. 

OTOH, since we're on the subject - the biggest help I have seen with flexibility doesn't come from stretching, it comes from ART sessions.

2014-09-15 11:13 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

I thought there was also a study which showed that static stretching before an event actually hampered performance. I tend to just do some butt kicks and high knee walking before a run and call it good. Afterwards I plan it by ear but I tend to do maybe 5-10seconds of stretching at the most. If I can, I'll walk a lot afterwards and that helps way more.
2014-09-15 11:38 PM
in reply to: #5050639

User image

Kenmore, Washington
I don't do any static stretching. I will go through some movements to loosen up and check my range of motion, but that is limited to a range I need for the activity. No hyperextending joints beyond their useful range. I do foam roll often.
2014-09-16 12:22 AM
in reply to: #5050666

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
This is something I have been wanting to get in the habit of doing after my workouts but just neglect. After your workouts your body is warmed up and your muscules are ready to be worked out (stretching). FWIW I do very light stretches before any physical activity, even in golf as a kid and everyone laughed at me but my scores were no laughing matter lol but I digress. Listen to your body before and after your workouts and other activities (yoga or Pilates) will aid in this area.
2014-09-16 6:10 AM
in reply to: #5050675

User image

, North Carolina
I didnt say that flexability is the key to performance. I said it was the key to injury prevention. Sure you can be wound tight as a drum and click off super fast miles. Also, static stretching isnt always the best. Some combination of both static and dynamic is the best. I.e. yoga.
2014-09-16 6:12 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

never stretched before running when I did XC in highschool.  last year i made a point to stretch before/after every run and use a foam roller.  suffered a lot from lower leg knots/soreness.  this year no stretching at all and hardly any foam rolling and i haven't had any issues. 

not sure if there is any relationship there or if it's just my body adapting over time to better handling the training load. 

2014-09-16 7:08 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Nick B Flexibility is the key to injury prevention. Being flexible is very important. However, stretching directly before a workout doesn't always help. Being throughly warm is the key for the beginning and cooling down in the end Basically, i think, the coach is a kook. He should be doing one or two work outs per week that focus on flexability. Making a group of teenagers run is hard, making the stretch is dang near impossible.

Not necessarily.

The idea that more flexibility prevents injuries is one of the HUGE misconceptions in athletics that continues to persist like the idea that lactic acid accumulates in our muscles causing soreness.  If you have a study that can connect the two, please share it.  To my knowledge, no correlation has ever been able to be achieved between flexibility and injury rates.  Having the optimum amount of flexibility can enhance performance.  Too limited, and it's not possible to achieve the necessary range of motion for performance.  Too loose, and it can be difficult for some people to control their movements enough to make the consistent movements necessary to perform.

2014-09-16 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Here's a link to a Runner's World debate about stretching after running. Interestingly enough both sides seem to agree that you should keep doing what you're doing (whether it is stretching or not stretching) if it is working for you.
http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/do-you-stretch-after-running

Studies don't tend to show that stretching reduces injuries or prevents muscle soreness.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15076777
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21735398

I attended a Q&A session with Olympic gold medalist Simon Whitfield a couple of years ago and someone asked about his stretching routine. His reply was that he doesn't stretch.

2014-09-16 7:35 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Blastman

I thought there was also a study which showed that static stretching before an event actually hampered performance. I tend to just do some butt kicks and high knee walking before a run and call it good. Afterwards I plan it by ear but I tend to do maybe 5-10seconds of stretching at the most. If I can, I'll walk a lot afterwards and that helps way more.

There have been several that have reported this. But people need to really read the research and not just skim. Static stretching does not improve performance in highly trained/elite athletes for peak performance. Keywords: peak performance/hiighly trained. Also the performance differences is rather small across the board in performance.

But yes I would agree that static stretching isn't beneficial before a workout, post and before sleep are different.

Different warmup protocos for different sessions. If you is to do a highly intense track workout a god dynamic workout is probably best, if you are going out for an easy ride probably can warmup in the saddle.
2014-09-16 7:41 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

, North Carolina
Originally posted by TriMyBest

To my knowledge, no correlation has ever been able to be achieved between flexibility and injury rates.  

there's always one, right?
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0153.htm#(this is just an article, citing the actual study)
http://www.acsm.org/access-public-information/articles/2012/01/10/b... (not a study granted, but a Dr. of Sports Medicine)

Is the treatment of IT Band Syndrome not stretching?

2014-09-16 7:42 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Apparently I also fall into the kook category - my XC athletes are given the option to stretch post workout/race but my advice is to do what works for them. Cooldown jogs are mandatory, stretching sessions are not.

Shane

2014-09-16 8:20 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I stopped stretching about two years ago. I've had a couple of small injuries and soreness here and there, but it was a lot worse before when I was stretching. Now, the big problem with my experience was correlation vs causation. As I've matured as a runner, I've learned to listen to my body more, warm up, and just have the years of base to carry me through. I honestly don't think that stopping stretching reduced injury as I was having less and less injuries year after year regardless.

That being said, I did absolutely zero research on the subject, I don't even think I read an article. I saw an article titled something along the lines of "Study Shows Increased Injury with Stretching" and I quit right then and there....I really hated stretching, so I didn't need a lot of convincing.
2014-09-16 9:26 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by Nick B Is the treatment of IT Band Syndrome not stretching?

Treatment is not prevention.

The 'kooks' may be wrong and you right.  But I don't think it's because you know something they don't.  Their 'kooky' decision appears rational to me given the existing information available.

2014-09-16 10:00 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Not stretching may work great when you are young, but as I get older, I need it. If I don't maintain general flexibility by doing some basic yoga, my hips, bac,k and shoulders will get tight to the point of being sore. Also, I tore my AT 2 years ago, and the ortho and the PT both said that I had lousy foot and ankle flexibility that contributed to the problems. Now I a pay attention, and sure enough, if I start to feel pain in my lower legs, my feet and ankles are tight. Stretching after a run as part of the cool down help tremendously.
2014-09-16 11:46 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by TriMyBest  To my knowledge, no correlation has ever been able to be achieved between flexibility and injury rates.  
there's always one, right? http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0153.htm#(this is just an article, citing the actual study) http://www.acsm.org/access-public-information/articles/2012/01/10/b... (not a study granted, but a Dr. of Sports Medicine) Is the treatment of IT Band Syndrome not stretching?

The first link won't load for me.

The second one has one paragraph of opinion regarding stretching to prevent knee injuries specifically.  Most experts can agree that in cases of specific ROM deficiencies, the use of stretching to correct the afflicted joint(s) can improve both performance and reduce injuries.  The key here is the word "specific".  The issue I have is when blanket statements are made that "stretching prevents injuries".  I would go as far as saying this is an untrue statement, as I have personally worked with people with excessive ROM issues where stretching was contraindicated, and the use of strength training was indicated to improve their control and joint stability (effectively reducing their ROM - the opposite of stretching) to prevent injuries.

And, as JohnnyKay pointed out, treatment is not prevention.  Various types of stretching protocols are widely accepted treatment for specific situations.  And, in the case of runners or cyclists with a history of ITBS due to the excessive quantity of movement within the sagittal plane combined with relatively limited movement within the frontal plane, stretching of the gluteus medius can be an effective part of their treatment and prevention program.

The examples above are specific examples.  IME, the majority of people neither benefit nor are harmed by general static stretching after exercise.

2014-09-16 12:56 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by TriMyBest  To my knowledge, no correlation has ever been able to be achieved between flexibility and injury rates.  
there's always one, right? http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0153.htm#(this is just an article, citing the actual study) http://www.acsm.org/access-public-information/articles/2012/01/10/b... (not a study granted, but a Dr. of Sports Medicine) Is the treatment of IT Band Syndrome not stretching?

The first link won't load for me.

The second one has one paragraph of opinion regarding stretching to prevent knee injuries specifically.  Most experts can agree that in cases of specific ROM deficiencies, the use of stretching to correct the afflicted joint(s) can improve both performance and reduce injuries.  The key here is the word "specific".  The issue I have is when blanket statements are made that "stretching prevents injuries".  I would go as far as saying this is an untrue statement, as I have personally worked with people with excessive ROM issues where stretching was contraindicated, and the use of strength training was indicated to improve their control and joint stability (effectively reducing their ROM - the opposite of stretching) to prevent injuries.

And, as JohnnyKay pointed out, treatment is not prevention.  Various types of stretching protocols are widely accepted treatment for specific situations.  And, in the case of runners or cyclists with a history of ITBS due to the excessive quantity of movement within the sagittal plane combined with relatively limited movement within the frontal plane, stretching of the gluteus medius can be an effective part of their treatment and prevention program.

The examples above are specific examples.  IME, the majority of people neither benefit nor are harmed by general static stretching after exercise.

I couldn't have said it any better. I think people generalize too much then, as you said, use it as a blanket statement and voila here we are.

I also think people see "Doctor" next to something and automatically think what they say is the best possible advice ever. You can get a completely different opinion and response from 2 doctors that are in completely different areas of practice. The key is to find the doctor in the area of practice mentioned.

2014-09-16 1:36 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by happyscientist Not stretching may work great when you are young, but as I get older, I need it. If I don't maintain general flexibility by doing some basic yoga, my hips, bac,k and shoulders will get tight to the point of being sore. Also, I tore my AT 2 years ago, and the ortho and the PT both said that I had lousy foot and ankle flexibility that contributed to the problems. Now I a pay attention, and sure enough, if I start to feel pain in my lower legs, my feet and ankles are tight. Stretching after a run as part of the cool down help tremendously.

I feel the same way. Just from personal experience I definitely feel better after stretching, especially my hips, than if I didn't stretch. I'm not saying it's wrong to NOT stretch, because it looks like it certainly works for some people. It's always interesting to see how people do things differently.

2014-09-16 9:15 PM
in reply to: #5050692

User image

, North Carolina
I'm going to back off the "key to injury prevention" & "kook" parts.

But, I still think flexability is important part of overall health.
2014-09-17 12:29 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Personally I believe in static stretching.

Although I don't do much prior to running or cycling, I do have a warm up phase where I run or cycle at a reduced power until I start to "open up".

During my long runs, I do stop and do static stretches after every 5 -7 mile increments. I feel this has significantly reduced my issues with adductor, quad, calf, plantar, and other muscle related problems.

after the run, I usually finish off with a static stretch.

With the cycling, I do a static stretch after the ride. Not always but it seems to help when I do.

2014-09-17 9:13 AM

User image

Oakville

My physiotherapist referred me to one of his blog posts on the topic of stretching - http://www.thebodymechanic.ca/2013/04/04/static-stretching-not-evil-not-a-panacea-just-a/.

The gist of his research is that static stretching won't hurt performance unless held for more than 60 seconds.  Its also not the cure-all either.

I continue to stretch before every run because basically that's what I've always done and have been relatively injury free.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No stretching Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

oh noes!!!

Started by orphious
Views: 1509 Posts: 3

2010-09-10 8:02 AM bcart1991

noes plugs

Started by roxygirl
Views: 2338 Posts: 14

2008-05-30 2:11 AM intriathlete

To stretch, or not to stretch...

Started by Triguy67
Views: 923 Posts: 3

2008-02-29 12:01 PM newleaf

Stretching

Started by mandy7741
Views: 884 Posts: 11

2006-02-18 11:34 AM nbo10

stretching question

Started by tplauche
Views: 854 Posts: 8

2004-06-16 8:24 AM KPA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 28, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
I have had Plantar Fasciitis in both feet for 5 years, orthotics have finally helped where I can run again. Are there recommendations beyond ice and stretching?

date : February 2, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 0
Here is a very focused and specific triathlon stretching program that you can employ during or after your swim, bike and run workouts.
date : May 7, 2008
comments : 4
Studies looking at stretching have had mixed results. It is a difficult to examine because stretching is ingrained in the psyche of so many athletes that they are unwilling to participate as controls.

date : April 10, 2005
comments : 1
When you're in the middle of your training plan for a major event (Ironman Lake Placid), how do you handle injuries when they come up?
date : April 9, 2005
Is there any empirical evidence indicating that there are physical benefits to be derived from stretching? If so, what are the benefits?

date : April 9, 2005
The only time it hurt is when I stretched my left calf. I guess, "flexing" the ankle the way you do when stretching your calf is what was hurting it. The place it hurt is just fore of the ankle bone.
date : November 14, 2004
author : trixie
A static stretching routine to aid in coordination, reducing muscle tension while serving to increase your range of motion.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Ron
I have spent years honing down the elusive 'perfect' stretching routine for my personal physiology and training. It's a fine line my friends but I think I have it.