Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Lets talk about meat Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-19 1:24 AM

Subject: Lets talk about meat
It’s slow, right!

So what do we all buy, Organic, cage free, range free, grass feed, local, advantages or one of the other? Trying to clean up our eating habits

What about fish that has not been “Fukushimaed”

2014-09-19 5:48 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

New user
Subject: RE: Lets talk about meat
Most of the red meat we eat is venison. When we eat beef it is from my neighbor who has grass fed, no antibiotic, cattle. We raise a few feeder pigs and have a chicken flock, so we have most of the bases covered. Yes, we live rural and it ties you to your home to some degree, but worth it in the sense that we grow the majority of what we consume.
2014-09-19 7:09 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i just buy whatever is in the regular grocery store.  if it's on sale i will buy the "organic" chicken, and when i remember to get my act together i go to the farmers market and buy the local/grassfed/fancy/expensive stuff, but for the most part, i just buy whatever.

fish i am far more discerning about, but living on the chesapeake bay i have access to tons of fresh seafood markets.  this is more of a personal "ick" factor on how hard it is to keep fish fresh, tasty, and not fishy than a local-vore political statement.

i just don't care that much about my meat quality and i honestly have seen little to prove that i should be spending the extra money on this stuff.

2014-09-19 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I don't buy it. Really no way to know where it comes from in the local stores, so I just avoid the issue. I occasionally have it at school--they claim they use mainly imported products and all are hormone-free. It's a French run company so guessing they do check their sources. I buy seafood (mainly salmon and scallops. occasionally other fish or shrimp) and cook it maybe once a week. Again, no idea, really. I think my scallops are from Vietnam (well, offshore) and my salmon from Japan. So I probably glow in the dark, but whatever. I lived for almost a decade in China, so figure I'm already doomed. Fortunately I'm not a big meat eater and probably five days a week I eat basically vegetarian. Living in Asia there are plenty of good soy and other veggie protein sources.
2014-09-19 8:09 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Veteran
Minnesota
We will buy whole chickens from Amish farmers and also buy 1/4 side of beef through a friend both freei. Living on a lake we have lots of walleye, perch, and sunnies.
2014-09-19 8:47 AM
in reply to: TriJedi

User image

Pro

1/2 side of beef per year, ribs and bacon as needed, salmon and scallops.  Beef and pork from a farmer we know, salmon from a friend in Alaska (usually sent smoked, but we get a ton of it), and scallops (LOTS of scallops) from a local seafood market that gets them in fresh.  The scallops are the only "meat" source we get from a store.

We LOVE to cook and eat!  Meals are the only time we can all get together in a day....and we don't waste the time.

2014-09-19 8:50 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Vegan (mostly). I eat meat around once a month, and its usually at a restaurant.

Meat is bad for you, eat more bananas

2014-09-19 8:56 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Vegetarian, if I must eat meat because we're out and there are no veggie options I choose fish prepared as simply as possible.  

2014-09-19 8:56 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

Vegan (mostly). I eat meat around once a month, and its usually at a restaurant.

You've seen my crew eat.....try telling them they are only getting fruits and vegetables (which they enjoy also).....there will be no peace at the table.

2014-09-19 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I used to eat that pink slime. A guy I work with told me to get the hamburger at the grocery store that they pack because its more scraps of the good meat and not the pink slime.

Chicken wise I just get the chicken breast in a bag but I might change that to see if I can get skin in chicken breasts.
2014-09-19 9:24 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mehaner

i just buy whatever is in the regular grocery store.  if it's on sale i will buy the "organic" chicken, and when i remember to get my act together i go to the farmers market and buy the local/grassfed/fancy/expensive stuff, but for the most part, i just buy whatever.

fish i am far more discerning about, but living on the chesapeake bay i have access to tons of fresh seafood markets.  this is more of a personal "ick" factor on how hard it is to keep fish fresh, tasty, and not fishy than a local-vore political statement.

i just don't care that much about my meat quality and i honestly have seen little to prove that i should be spending the extra money on this stuff.

Buying our meat from farmers we know, who raise their cattle without all the antibiotics, etc, is MUCH cheaper than the meat you buy at the store.  We actually do it because the meat is lean and cheaper, not more expensive.  The only up front expense is for a freezer big enough to hold it....after that we are buying really good beef at a couple bucks a lb. cheaper than you are.

2014-09-19 9:31 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

New user
Key West
I'm a vegetarian, more exactly a pescatarian, so no meat or poultry. I use the Seafood Watch (Monterey Bay Aquarium) list for seafood, which is pretty easy for me because of where I live and the plentiful source of health and sustainable fish. But still only eat fish maybe twice a week. If you have never seen the sustainable healthy listing Seafood Watch does, you can see it here: http://www.seafoodwatch.org/
2014-09-19 9:39 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

We're almost through with the elk I got in 2012, best tasting meat I have ever had. Before that we've had Mule deer venison in the freezer pretty much non-stop for the last 12 years or so. Next up is a cow out in my pasture, she is open (won't breed) so I've got her on a diet of grass, alfalfa, corn shucks, and just starting to grain her. She'll be in our freezer in a month or two We'll have to sell about half of her, we just won't be able to eat that much over the next couple years. We buy very little red meat.

For chicken we just buy the hormone pumped up frozen breasts. We don't eat it a lot, maybe once a week.

As for fish, they could come from Fukishima and make no difference. I don't care for it that much and only eat fish occasionally. When I do I'd much rather go for sushi. The most fish I ever eat is when we vacation on the OR coast. There are two shacks owned by a boat captain. The fish is all fresh, and right on the menu they tell you if it is local caught or commercial/imported

I do eat out, and eat more fast food than I should. At least once a week, sometimes twice, occasionally more. I have been getting more and more chicken strips. I like a good burger, but as I mature I find the good burgers are not easily found at franchise fast food places. I'm pretty lucky. The best burger place I have ever found is a local bbq place in my small town. He'll cook them to order (nice pink middle for me please, I'll take my chances). Maybe I'll have one for lunch today. I gotta calorie up for my marathon tomorrow!
2014-09-19 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by dmiller5

You've seen my crew eat.....try telling them they are only getting fruits and vegetables (which they enjoy also).....there will be no peace at the table.

give griff 10 bananas and I bet he's full

2014-09-19 10:25 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Buying our meat from farmers we know, who raise their cattle without all the antibiotics, etc, is MUCH cheaper than the meat you buy at the store.  We actually do it because the meat is lean and cheaper, not more expensive.  The only up front expense is for a freezer big enough to hold it....after that we are buying really good beef at a couple bucks a lb. cheaper than you are.

if i had a chest freezer and could buy a side of beef, i'm sure it would make sense.  i have a small house, no garage, and therefore that's not practical for me.  i COULD buy all from local farmers and antibiotic free and whatever, but i just choose to spend my time in other ways than running around local farms buying meat/eggs/whatever.  when they bring it to the market all packaged and ready to go it's more convenient and therefore way more expensive, and honestly at that price point, not worth it.

2014-09-19 10:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

if i had a chest freezer and could buy a side of beef, i'm sure it would make sense.  i have a small house, no garage, and therefore that's not practical for me.  i COULD buy all from local farmers and antibiotic free and whatever, but i just choose to spend my time in other ways than running around local farms buying meat/eggs/whatever.  when they bring it to the market all packaged and ready to go it's more convenient and therefore way more expensive, and honestly at that price point, not worth it.

I don't blame you....we don't really care about the "grass fed, antibiotic free" deal either.....with the chow hounds we're raising we care about cheaper. LOL  It's a bonus that cheaper in this case happens to be "better".....certainly better tasting.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-19 10:29 AM

2014-09-19 12:17 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I used to be a bodybuilder in my 20's and early 30's, meat was a necessity!
As time has progressed (40 in Nov.) I eat a lot less red meat. I eat it on weight training days mostly. Angus is leaner here in NY, but all the sirloin here is kind of fatty unless you pay big bucks. Angus sirloin suffices (3x per week). Can't afford the grass fed, because I spend a fortune on salmon. To me, salmon is the king food - and unfortunately I go with farm-raised because I'd be broke if I spent on wild (I pound down at least 12oz daily).
I have; however, shifted to organic chicken breasts as I developed an odd uncomfortable digestive bloat with regular jacked up chicken. I'd love to do the same with eggs, but I inhale those and that'd be a fortune.
2014-09-19 1:55 PM
in reply to: #5051902

User image

New user
for those of you talking about game or sides or 1/2 sides of beef etc, who butchers? I'm assuming it goes in the freezer in steaks or other small useable portions and not in larger pieces that still needs further butchering?
2014-09-19 2:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by braciole for those of you talking about game or sides or 1/2 sides of beef etc, who butchers? I'm assuming it goes in the freezer in steaks or other small useable portions and not in larger pieces that still needs further butchering?

IF we get venison (one of my daughters may kill a deer this year, I don't hunt them anymore) I usually take care of it with the help of someone who has a good grinder for ground venison. 

For the beef sides we use a butcher that the farmer recommends......it has been different butchers and I think it pretty much depends on the relationship between the farmer and butchers, at least that's how we handle it.  I think the farmer gets ab reak on his own needs if he sends customers to the butcher, etc.  It's a pretty simple process.....you get to choose how you want it cut.... which steaks, roasts, how much ground beef you want, what size packages, fat content, how many steaks to a package, how thick for the steaks, weight of roasts, blah,blah,blah.  It's about a 1/2 hour phone conversation.  When we go to pick it up it's all packaged and frozen.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-19 2:43 PM
2014-09-19 3:46 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I'm mostly pescatarian, but I have a soft spot for pork chops.  I am lucky to have a number of great co-ops to shop at, who buy meat from local farms.    I am always thrilled to see names of farms I recognize on the menus at restaurants in the area too.   I really live in foodie heaven.    Going to the co-op is a treat and I also pick up other unusual things I can't get at Trader Joe's or the local grocery story in my town. 

2014-09-19 4:27 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Other than fish, which I am pretty selective about, I get the majority of beef, chicken and pork from the regular grocery store meat counter.  I also don't buy organic fruits & veggies.  

2014-09-20 1:07 AM

Interesting feedback.

I have the freezer and live in a rural area. It's been a few years but I can see at least a quater cow coming. I usally go ot the farm about 2 mile north of me. I will probabley take a deer this year. It's not unusall to have a dozen or more in my yard or within 100 meters of my yard everyday. I just won't take Bambi with the kid watching.

I guess really it's the chicken and fish we eat the most of. I figure at 50 I am pretty much screwed, but try to make good choices for the kid.

Joe
2014-09-22 12:18 AM

User image

Elite
Local farmer, quarter of cow and half a lamb. Grass fed and finished. The taste of this meat is amazing. Just about to run out now and had to buy some supermarket meat which had zero taste.

Quality does cost a little more but the farm supply lasted nearly 6 months.
2014-09-24 2:45 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Hook'em

Other than fish, which I am pretty selective about, I get the majority of beef, chicken and pork from the regular grocery store meat counter.  I also don't buy organic fruits & veggies.  

Yep, same here except we also get our fish from the grocery store... actually, we pretty much buy all of our meat products from Costco.  And we don't care at all if it's organic, grass-fed, or whatever.  If the price is right, we'll buy it.  

2014-09-24 2:53 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Pro

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by Hook'em

Yep, same here except we also get our fish from the grocery store... actually, we pretty much buy all of our meat products from Costco.  And we don't care at all if it's organic, grass-fed, or whatever.  If the price is right, we'll buy it.  

Actually, Costco carries some great meats/fish.  I'm always impressed with the quality on the times we've had to pick something up there.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Lets talk about meat Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

MORE MEAT MEAT MEAT.... Pages: 1 2

Started by sgoehner
Views: 738 Posts: 26

2007-11-25 4:15 PM ditchdoc

MEAT MEAT and more MEAT! Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tupuppy
Views: 2194 Posts: 80

2007-11-17 2:38 AM Colomingle

Let's talk about cooking in a wok... Pages: 1 2

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 1669 Posts: 39

2006-07-14 4:16 PM Zilla

Let's talk about something...

Started by courtney_leone
Views: 1074 Posts: 25

2006-01-10 6:45 PM courtney_leone

Lets talk about Runnergirl Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Comet
Views: 5329 Posts: 203

2005-10-21 12:11 PM tritocatchme
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Why it’s so hard for us to talk about losing at a simple game? Sports are supposed to be about building positive character, supposed to be about fairness, equality, and striving for excellence.

date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with AdventureBear, aka Coach Suzanne on her coaching philosophy, approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : November 4, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Here is a great recipe to make a healthy pizza fit for a triathlete using thin crust, hummus, fresh vegetables, tomato sauce, lean meat and mozzarella cheese.

date : September 4, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Athletes have a different biochemistry than unfit people. Athletes are unlikely to experience an insulin surge that leads to overeating and “getting fat” from enjoying a potato with dinner.
date : April 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
comments : 7
There are tons of great diets out there for people who eat meat, but I can’t find anything for vegetarians. I also find that when I eat healthy, I am hungry all the time.