2014-09-19 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Who's at fault?

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by wannabefaster Admission: I have crossed the yellow line. More than once. Let the stoning begin. I don't have any desire to cross the center line. Really. And I am generally a law abiding, rule following nice guy. But it has happened on occasion. And yes, it is my fault and if I get DQd I will accept responsibility for my actions. Now for my complete jerk diatribe. It makes me crazy how many people ride their bikes to the left on the course. Even people passing others don't need to ride all of the way left on to the center line. Just move over far enough to safely get around the person in front of you while still leaving space to your left for riders faster than you. And don't get me started on racers that get in the left part of the lane and never move back to the right. Like it is unfathomable to them that someone could be riding faster than their 16 mph and want to pass them. I don't care if you are riding 27 mph, if you aren't passing stay to the right! I almost feel like the penalty for "blocking" should be the same as for drafting, four minutes in the tent. And our collective indignation should be just as much for people "cheating" by blocking others as it is for those cheating by drafting. Wow. I'm not sure that I am quite as big a jerk as the post above makes me sound like, but maybe I am.

I am one of those slower riders and complete agree. I hug the gutters and the right-hands of the road constantly so I'm not interfering with the faster folks. My issue is that in the rare instance I am passing someone, it "appears" to the 27mph rider that I'm blocking, yet I am completely legally passing someone else. Just not as fast as they'd like me to. In such a tight/narrow race set up like in these clips, I can see how that would be frustrating to everyone involved. 

No it doesn't.  You'd be surprised how aware the really fast people are about what you are doing as they work their way around you.  Nobody has a problem with you passing someone....or they shouldn't.

According to the way some of them scream and curse, they do . It's not all of them of course, but the ones who throw profanities at you sure stand out.

Well..... F%^k those people!

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-19 10:25 AM

2014-09-19 10:25 AM

User image

Originally posted by wannabefaster Admission: I have crossed the yellow line. More than once. Let the stoning begin. I don't have any desire to cross the center line. Really. And I am generally a law abiding, rule following nice guy. But it has happened on occasion. And yes, it is my fault and if I get DQd I will accept responsibility for my actions. Now for my complete jerk diatribe. It makes me crazy how many people ride their bikes to the left on the course. Even people passing others don't need to ride all of the way left on to the center line. Just move over far enough to safely get around the person in front of you while still leaving space to your left for riders faster than you. And don't get me started on racers that get in the left part of the lane and never move back to the right. Like it is unfathomable to them that someone could be riding faster than their 16 mph and want to pass them. I don't care if you are riding 27 mph, if you aren't passing stay to the right! I almost feel like the penalty for "blocking" should be the same as for drafting, four minutes in the tent. And our collective indignation should be just as much for people "cheating" by blocking others as it is for those cheating by drafting. Wow. I'm not sure that I am quite as big a jerk as the post above makes me sound like, but maybe I am.

I am one of those slower riders and complete agree. I hug the gutters and the right-hands of the road constantly so I'm not interfering with the faster folks. My issue is that in the rare instance I am passing someone, it "appears" to the 27mph rider that I'm blocking, yet I am completely legally passing someone else. Just not as fast as they'd like me to. In such a tight/narrow race set up like in these clips, I can see how that would be frustrating to everyone involved. 

It is always a good idea to check for clearance before passing. The bike is the only leg that I am really good at, but I still check behind me. Some people can move a lot faster on the bike than you would think, and I am not sure that most people understand just how fast some of those riders can move. I have a friend who is a former pro cyclist, and no matter how fast I think I am going, he can turn up the gas and fly past me.

That said, faster riders do have an obligation to watch the riders in front of them and not just assume that they are clear. Also, most riders have very telling body language before they act, so an experienced cyclist needs to pay attention to that. There have been many times when I have approached someone and been able to read their body language that they were going to either try a slow pass or that they were struggling up a hill and about to start paperboying it. I let them know I am coming, and they are typically accommodating.

FWIW, if I call out that I am passing and someone moves over, I always say thank you. I think it helps everyone to show appreciation.

ETA, I just read what you posted while I was typing. People should not be yelling obscenities at you. That is extremely bad sportsmanship on their part. I can swear to make a sailor blush, but I didn't even scream obscenities at the guy who rode sideways across the course at the mount line and ran into me.

Edited by happyscientist 2014-09-19 10:28 AM
2014-09-19 10:29 AM
in reply to: lisac957

Master
Northern IL

No it doesn't.  You'd be surprised how aware the really fast people are about what you are doing as they work their way around you.  Nobody has a problem with you passing someone....or they shouldn't.

According to the way some of them scream and curse, they do . It's not all of them of course, but the ones who throw profanities at you sure stand out.

Some of them could be that way, but know that a number just sound harsher than they may otherwise intend because they're going hard in a race and that's how it comes out. It's not necessarily personal. Just the situation. My voice goes nowhere unless I can pull out a commanding tone, in which case it's going to sound just like you described to the other person (never profane though). Startles the bejeezus out of some people, but it's nothing personal. Sometimes I can smile or something when I actually make the pass, but others have to keep the focus up the road.

2014-09-19 10:36 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Last Sunday in a race I'll was screaming on your left while passing. I was doing 29mph and working past 5 or 6 riders who appeared to be doing 16-18mph. 1 guy was passing someone else at the time and screamed something at me, I really don't know what he said but I think he was mad at me.
I was not upset with these people at all and knew exactly what they were doing. However I was passing at a much higher speed and wanted them to know I was there as there was not a lot of extra space on the left. If they did not know I was there and moved left we would all have had a bad day, but I think too many people take the loud yell " on your left" as an insult or being mad when it is not.
2014-09-19 10:38 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Lisa, just yell back at them to "LEARN TO SWIM"!!!

That would be the greatest comeback ever. I am personally hugely lopsided towards swimming and in my first two tris I have come out of the water in the FOP then proceeded to get passed like crazy on the bike. I was never on the receiving end of any disparaging comments as it was always pretty spread out there, but I'm keeping this one in my back pocket just in case!!
2014-09-19 10:52 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by 3mar

That would be the greatest comeback ever. I am personally hugely lopsided towards swimming and in my first two tris I have come out of the water in the FOP then proceeded to get passed like crazy on the bike. I was never on the receiving end of any disparaging comments as it was always pretty spread out there, but I'm keeping this one in my back pocket just in case!!

Unfortunately it doesn't always make sense, as in a two loop course they likely swam faster and ride a lot faster. 

But I am one of those slow swimmers who loves to bike. I passed over 500 people on the bike in my IM. I don't get crazy on the people in front of me that are actively passing, I give them a brake and tell myself to swim faster next time. 

It is all relative though. I was cruising along at 23mph or so making a pass when a pro blew by me on his second lap like I was standing still. Good reminder that no matter how fast you think you are there may be someone behind you trying to pass. Good idea to stay as far right as possible even when passing. 

2014-09-19 11:01 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 3mar

Unfortunately it doesn't always make sense, as in a two loop course they likely swam faster and ride a lot faster. 

But I am one of those slow swimmers who loves to bike. I passed over 500 people on the bike in my IM. I don't get crazy on the people in front of me that are actively passing, I give them a brake and tell myself to swim faster next time. 

It is all relative though. I was cruising along at 23mph or so making a pass when a pro blew by me on his second lap like I was standing still. Good reminder that no matter how fast you think you are there may be someone behind you trying to pass. Good idea to stay as far right as possible even when passing. 

The comment also doesn't always make sense as in a number of races the earlier waves can be out of the water before the later ones even start. Would love to know how to pull that off!

2014-09-19 11:05 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Haha I have heard others in my position say that but I just smile and keep riding. I can't justify being a jerk to a jerk for some reason.

2014-09-19 11:16 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Dude - it's triathlon!!  It's all about the personal experience. What's your hurry?

I love it. And don't get me started on the people who must want to be passed by a girl. Admittedly I'm talking more about a public road than a triathlon though.

2014-09-19 11:25 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Haha I have heard others in my position say that but I just smile and keep riding. I can't justify being a jerk to a jerk for some reason.

This reminds me of the mountain bike races I have entered. I am not a great climber, but I have some endurance from road riding, so I usually am near the front on the uphills. Then when it comes to technical descents I am so terrible and a queue of people are stacked up behind me. At the last race, I stopped to let people pass and it took me 5 minutes to get back in the line again. My friends tell me that I should just yell "LEARN TO CLIMB!!!"

2014-09-19 11:57 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by ziggie204

Shrug, I would have crossed the cones if I were in that race. Safer than some of the squeezing that you did. All you would have needed was one jumpy novice to ruin the day for the both of you. Poor race design. Were you informed of the large nuetralized section prior to or at sign up? That would have been a deal breaker for me.

The first I heard of the no passing zone was the morning of the race and there was no way I was giving up 30% of the course to pass on. I know I was threading the needle a few times but the thing that the video may not accurately record is the constant "on you left" calls I was making. I was also on the horns on the entire section of rough road and around all of the corners.

2014-09-19 12:02 PM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

There are some races that I refuse to sign up for because of how the race is run, the course, and what type of difficulties I would anticipate while racing.  Would it be cool if race directors had my best interests first and foremost when putting on their event...sure.  That would be awesome.  But that's not reality. 

Therefore I boycott triathlons that insist on having a swim and run. 

2014-09-19 12:36 PM

Yep, I've crossed the center yellow more than once. If a passing ref DQ'd me, I'd take it. 

In every case, it was due to significantly slower riders ahead that were riding too many abreast leaving zero room to cross, many many times, and/or riders not responding to the 'on your left!' or responding very poorly to it (I've had quite a few of them not realizing you're coming up so fast, and actually swerve INTO you on the left.)

It was my judgment in all cases that it was safer for everyone involved for me to cross the yellow line than to either slow so dramatically that the riders behind me would be in jeopardy, or try and swerve my way through the slower riders. It's not as simple as 'just slow down' - when you're going at 23-25mph and the line of slower riders from earlier waves are literally going 12mph, it's still dangerous to abruptly cut your speed so quickly even if the guy behind you is the 3-4 bike lengths back. 

But again, if a ref DQ'd me for it, I'd take it. Ultimately, it's just for fun and accomplishment for us AGers; if it's safer for me (and others) for me to cross the yellow in the few instances that occur, I'll take the DQ risk. 

2014-09-19 1:51 PM
in reply to: #5051980

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Posting on mobile so can't access video. But yes its infraction to cross the centerline Bauat there is exceptions. If you have good visibility down the road an it's clear with no driveways etc. Then a pass or very limited time over the centerline is acceptable.
2014-09-19 1:57 PM
in reply to: #5052145

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
^ Wow I suck at mobile posting...lol
2014-09-19 2:02 PM

User image

I just remembered that my last race, which was a 112 mile cycling road race...the guy that crossed the finish first was DQ'd for crossing the center line and cones leading into the finish line.  However, it was INCREDIBLY STUPID and everyone felt the DQ was deserved.  

The finishing area was pretty tight, but enough to go 3 wide.  They had split the road into three sections...the far right was coned off for the finish line...the middle area was coned for vehicle traffic heading the same direction as the bikers, and the far left was oncoming traffic.  As the final group approached the finish (7 of them), the lead truck pulled slightly left into coned middle lane and slowed down just as he should have allowing the sprint to go to the right of them.  The guy who was DQ'd wanted to make his sprint just as the truck pulled off but had nowhere to go...so he went completely around the truck on the left, into the coned section of oncoming traffic (which he couldn't see as the truck was blocking his view, then cut all the way back across two sets of cones to the left to the finish line.  There was actually a car coming the other way, but luckily due to all the cones and cops, they were only going around 10 mph and had time to stop.  

Sucks to race 100+ miles and be boxed out like that, but under no circumstances should you risk your life to win a race.  The cop that was at the intersection made a comment to the race director expressing his displeasure, and even though he was DQ'd, he kind of gave the impression like "is this what you bike racers do?"  All it takes is the cop to report the incident to his superiors and maybe we don't get permits to race anymore.  

edited because my post was full of dyslexia.

Edited by Jason N 2014-09-19 2:22 PM

2014-09-19 2:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Riders who crossed should get a DQ, I saw some blocking by the female rider as well, I would say a penalty for her as well. Piece of crap unsafe layout IMO.
2014-09-19 2:20 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25 Posting on mobile so can't access video. But yes its infraction to cross the centerline Bauat there is exceptions. If you have good visibility down the road an it's clear with no driveways etc. Then a pass or very limited time over the centerline is acceptable.

How about sun angle.....does that make a difference.  /sarc

2014-09-19 4:48 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by yazmaster

Yep, I've crossed the center yellow more than once. If a passing ref DQ'd me, I'd take it. 

In every case, it was due to significantly slower riders ahead that were riding too many abreast leaving zero room to cross, many many times, and/or riders not responding to the 'on your left!' or responding very poorly to it (I've had quite a few of them not realizing you're coming up so fast, and actually swerve INTO you on the left.)

It was my judgment in all cases that it was safer for everyone involved for me to cross the yellow line than to either slow so dramatically that the riders behind me would be in jeopardy, or try and swerve my way through the slower riders. It's not as simple as 'just slow down' - when you're going at 23-25mph and the line of slower riders from earlier waves are literally going 12mph, it's still dangerous to abruptly cut your speed so quickly even if the guy behind you is the 3-4 bike lengths back. 

But again, if a ref DQ'd me for it, I'd take it. Ultimately, it's just for fun and accomplishment for us AGers; if it's safer for me (and others) for me to cross the yellow in the few instances that occur, I'll take the DQ risk. 

Same thoughts.

I'll use the 2011 Austin 70.3 as an example.  The roads for most of the bike course are in bad condition.  In 2011 the roads were in the very worst condition imaginable as the brutal drought and heat of that year really took a toll on the roads.  There were very long stretches of some roads in which the shoulder and right side of the lane were unrideable with terrible vertical cracks and horrible chipseal.  That meant that most everyone was riding in the middle of the lane so a lot of passing was done near or cross the center yellow line.  It was unavoidable for faster riders.  I was in one of the very last waves and had a 2:30 bike split and probably passed 1500 people on the bike.  I crossed the yellow line numerous times during that race.

2014-09-20 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Originally posted by jeng

This reminds me of the mountain bike races I have entered. I am not a great climber, but I have some endurance from road riding, so I usually am near the front on the uphills. Then when it comes to technical descents I am so terrible and a queue of people are stacked up behind me. At the last race, I stopped to let people pass and it took me 5 minutes to get back in the line again. My friends tell me that I should just yell "LEARN TO CLIMB!!!"

Are you referring to Test of Metal? What you're describing sounds just like my experience in that race. I was at the halfway point in less than 2 hours. With all of the climbing behind me I thought that a sub-4 finish time was in the bag. But I was way over my head on those downhills from hell. I had to dismount many times and when i started again the course was so rough that I could barely get clipped in. And then I could only ride a few meters at a time before I was forced to get off again. Needless to say a lot of riders passed me in the 2nd half of the race. I think I finished in around 4:15.

Edited by donw 2014-09-20 7:53 AM
2014-09-20 10:03 AM
in reply to: #5051980

Veteran
The riders 100%. you know it is a friendly race. you know there are no pass zones. you know lots of slower people. you know it is congested. then WHY are you racing it if you are going to be upset that it is exactly as advertised? chewing out the RD is ridiculous. the ego that wants to show everyone how fast he is but actually isn't so races a race with this set up is even more ridiculous.

2014-09-20 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
First video is a Meh as far as I am concerned, it looks like they were safer to cross then to try and squeeze by. The second video is a problem and could have resulted in a crash.

Im okay with no passing in the chute but having a no passing section for a 1/3 of the bike course is a little much. Add to that the problems with the wave starts and it would simply be a race I wouldnt participate in again.

Edited by DaveL 2014-09-20 12:05 PM
2014-09-20 11:59 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by cwpeters At the race this past weekend, the RD started some of the faster cycling age groups in the last wave. I'm pretty sure this was done in order to minimize the amount of time a public road was closed. During the bike leg I witnessed two instances where a rider crossed the center line in order to make a pass. I had my GoPro on and the video links are below. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCSfvx5t4JMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMXGOZa3YPA My question is who is at fault, the rider(s) for making the illegal pass or the RD for creating a rolling roadblock? Just to give an example of just how crowded the course was, I averaged just over 20 mph and passed 147 riders in just under 10 miles. That works out to about 1 pass every 12 seconds.

So I watched the video's.  I don't think the second one is due to the course/RD/slower riders.  That was due to an idiot overcooking the corner and taking it WAY to fast and not knowing what was on the other side.  10000000% his fault and nobody elses.  

I'm not saying it is not the "passers'" faults in the first one, but to me you can't compare them.  Just my $0.02.

In agreement here.  The first video  the riders were technically in the wrong but I understand them just wanting to get around with all the congestion.  I would have been very tempted to do the same.  In the 2nd video, crossing the center line seems completely unnecessary and with another rider coming head on no less. Stupid. 

2014-09-20 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC

The entire course had the cones down the middle of the road. The first and last 1.5 miles were on a very rough private road that caused the congestion in the first (longer) clip. Someone on the morning of the race was making announcements that "this is a friendly event and there should be no passing on the resort road." That would mean that 3 of the 10 miles were technically "no passing zones."

I did a race like this once. Never went back to that race, even though the swim was fantastic... because it sucked too bad to be stuck like that on the bike course, esp when biking is my strength.
2014-09-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by sheesleeva

The riders 100%. you know it is a friendly race. you know there are no pass zones. you know lots of slower people. you know it is congested. then WHY are you racing it if you are going to be upset that it is exactly as advertised? chewing out the RD is ridiculous. the ego that wants to show everyone how fast he is but actually isn't so races a race with this set up is even more ridiculous.

Looking at the race website, I see no mention of:
It being a "friendly race" - I had never heard of this. Some people are there to have fun and some to race...just like always.
that there are "no-passing zones"
or that they will start the slow people first. - There is an elite wave that started first, which may have been the right choice.

So, none of those complaints were advertised and only brought up right before the race. Yeah, the RD definitely dropped the ball and I would be pissed as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's at fault? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Was it my fault I fell or the driver

Started by deadman
Views: 2098 Posts: 22

2014-09-20 6:28 PM keyone

Swim collision.. Who's at fault? Pages: 1 2

Started by mallen4574
Views: 2344 Posts: 34

2012-02-10 2:32 PM Patrick E

Eating My Words, It's all Kathy G's fault or Never say Never Pages: 1 2

Started by TriToy
Views: 1928 Posts: 31

2008-06-10 11:11 AM TriToy

I'm pretty sure this is y'all's fault...

Started by enders_shadow
Views: 1241 Posts: 17

2007-05-23 2:50 PM firstnet911

Nutrition, rest - or just my own fault...

Started by AusVirgin
Views: 513 Posts: 2

2005-10-26 10:56 AM SMUJD