General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Chatt 2015 sellout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-29 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Upstate, SC
Subject: IM Chatt 2015 sellout
Ehat are your thoughts on how quickly it will sell out with it being the second year. I will be away from computer between 12-1 today. Trying to figure out if I need a plan b

2014-09-29 10:08 AM
in reply to: katybug34

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: IM Chatt 2015 sellout

Really fast now that people have read they can almost float the swim and make the cut off.

2014-09-29 10:10 AM
in reply to: #5054907

User image

Extreme Veteran
Upstate, SC
Is it pretty simple to sign up via iPhone?
2014-09-29 10:14 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Really fast now that people have read they can almost float the swim and make the cut off.

Joke of an event if you can do that?  Where's the achievement? 

2014-09-29 10:18 AM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Dan-L

I hope you are making a poor joke.

I was standing at mile 6/18 for hours yesterday volunteering, and I promise you I didn't see a single athlete come through who thought it was a joke. I thought they were all heading for a monumental achievement.
2014-09-29 10:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I don't think I can float for two hours. 

You run the course they give you, against all who show up.....that's all you can do. 

I heard it was a good race.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-29 10:21 AM

2014-09-29 10:26 AM

User image

You run the course they give you, against all who show up.....that's all you can do. 

Guess so.  Just seems like they constantly try and find ways to minimise the swim and as it's my strongest discipline it annoys me - it's already a paltry 20% of the race.  'Joke of an event' was a poor choice of words. Apologies to those that competed.

2014-09-29 10:27 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

I hope you are making a poor joke. I was standing at mile 6/18 for hours yesterday volunteering, and I promise you I didn't see a single athlete come through who thought it was a joke. I thought they were all heading for a monumental achievement.

Agreed.  Poor choice of words. There needs to be a range of different types of races for people to take part in.  I hope there's one with a downhill bike somewhere too.

2014-09-29 10:33 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
IMFL is pretty close to downhill bike

I need a downhill marathon myself...
2014-09-29 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I heard someone tested it and literally floated 2:30. Unreal.
2014-09-29 12:51 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Champion
MA

Swim current will change from year to year as it does for other river swims. When they do up and back swim, it could be like IM China one year they had big numbers not make the swim as current was so strong people couldn't make forward progress. Augusta has been faster some years than others.

Mother nature and damn officials control the current not WTC.

Vibe on line yesterday was so negative about short swim...it wasn't short it was just fast. IMFL is not downhill bike, actually IMMD is flatter bike.

When conditions are horrible athletes love to brag about how tough they were to complete or compete in an event. When conditions are better, why do folks want to poke fun at those who competed and try to belittle the accomplishment. From year to year no course is exactly the same as conditions effect athletes with wind, rain, snow, heat, cold, humidity, ect. On any given day those out there

Congrats to all the finishers yesterday!

2014-09-29 1:04 PM

User image

Guess so.  Just seems like they constantly try and find ways to minimise the swim and as it's my strongest discipline it annoys me - it's already a paltry 20% of the race.  'Joke of an event' was a poor choice of words. Apologies to those that competed.

You should do Leadman.  Well...if you are also strong on the bike at least.

2014-09-29 3:34 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jason N

You should do Leadman.  Well...if you are also strong on the bike at least.

I did that race in 2012 and the swim was 4k not 5k.....still that was the best race I have ever done, really a grass roots race and with about 200-300 spread over that far a distance it is you versus the course.
2014-09-29 4:09 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Originally posted by KathyG

Swim current will change from year to year as it does for other river swims. When they do up and back swim, it could be like IM China one year they had big numbers not make the swim as current was so strong people couldn't make forward progress. Augusta has been faster some years than others.

Vibe on line yesterday was so negative about short swim...it wasn't short it was just fast. IMFL is not downhill bike, actually IMMD is flatter bike.

When conditions are horrible athletes love to brag about how tough they were to complete or compete in an event. When conditions are better, why do folks want to poke fun at those who competed and try to belittle the accomplishment. From year to year no course is exactly the same as conditions effect athletes with wind, rain, snow, heat, cold, humidity, ect. On any given day those out there

Are you saying that in some years the river will be flowing the other way?  If that's the case it's a whole different ball game.  I didn't realise that could happen.

2014-09-29 4:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

The strength of the current will vary from year to year.  Not the direction.

2014-09-29 9:25 PM
in reply to: katybug34

User image

It would seem that it won't sell out quite as quickly this year. It was still open this morning. I think with IM Louisville moving to the fall, along with IM Maryland, you now have 3 races to choose from, which hopefully means most everyone will be able to get in a race.

BTW, they were offering pre-registration at the Ironman Augusta this weekend for IM Chattanooga, so I jumped on it. Is this normal, that if you race another IM event, you are given an opportunity to pre-register for other IM races, or was this a unique situation, due to the races being cancelled, moved, added, etc.?

I have been reading all these threads online about how hard it is to get into IM Chattanooga, and there they were just "giving out" slots, as it were.

2014-09-30 12:01 PM

User image

you might think the swim was a joke, but the run made up for it and there was an additional 4 miles on the bike - 2 loop course, the last 4 miles of each loop was where all the elevation gain was - the swim is by far my strongest leg (I cam eout of the water at 1:00:09 - stupid cramp in my calf), and still finished with 15:20:56
2014-09-30 8:20 PM

User image

Greenville, SC

Are you saying that in some years the river will be flowing the other way?  If that's the case it's a whole different ball game.  I didn't realise that could happen.

The flow of the dam is dependent on energy consumption by the city. No, it will not flow backwards….but it will range from no flow to hauling later in the day. There was zero-200 cfs from 12 am- 7 am. It went from that to 14,000ish (i don't remember the exact number) from 7-8. It exceeds 25k regularly later in the day.
2014-09-30 8:27 PM
in reply to: NeverEnough

User image

Sylvania, Ga
I swam it in 1:01 with no wetsuit, which was about 15 min faster than expected. That hill across the river crushed me on the run. But, first Ironman and I made it, so I'm not compaining.
2014-09-30 8:29 PM
in reply to: LukeBoswell

User image

Sylvania, Ga
Ha, I had two foot cramps on the swim also. Thats funny.
2014-09-30 8:40 PM
in reply to: NeverEnough

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by NeverEnough

The flow of the dam is dependent on energy consumption by the city. No, it will not flow backwards….but it will range from no flow to hauling later in the day. There was zero-200 cfs from 12 am- 7 am. It went from that to 14,000ish (i don't remember the exact number) from 7-8. It exceeds 25k regularly later in the day.

Do you have a rough idea what speeds those volumetric flow rates may translate too in the swim course section?

2014-09-30 10:33 PM
in reply to: LukeBoswell

User image

Originally posted by LukeBoswell

Ha, I had two foot cramps on the swim also. Thats funny.

when we made the turn into the stairs, I got this doozy of a cramp in my calf - it sucked trying to kick in like that - I like to think I might have gotten under an hour in my swim otherwise (1:00:09 as it was)
2014-10-01 7:28 AM
in reply to: #5054907

I lived in Chattanooga for a decade so the swim might be current assisted but no way you can escape hills for a bike or run. Not a lot of flat level ground in Chattanooga.
2014-10-01 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.

I hate the damn officials too! ;-) On the other hand, the dam officials are awesome at controlling water flow...
2014-10-02 12:15 PM

hey, didn't you do IMLP when it was a monsoon the entire race?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Chatt 2015 sellout Rss Feed  

of 2