General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is your ultimate goal? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-10-01 1:07 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: What is your ultimate goal?

Keep healthy and fit as long as I can!!!

I was talking to my coach about this this morning actually.  The snobs, typically fast-ish AG athletes who think they are all that and a bag of chips because they are at the top of their AG and begrudge everyone and any one who can't win or have modest goals need a slap in the face.  Endurance sports are about SO MUCH MORE than some arbitrary time goal.  First of all there are so many things that can go wrong on race day esp as you start doing longer races, many of which are beyond our control. 

God bless every single person out their regardless of their size shape appearance or disability who is brave enough to say YEAH I want to do that and starts training.  ANYTHING in our inactive obese country that is eating itself to death that gets anyone off the couch, moving more and embracing a healthy lifestyle is GOOD.  The people who don't think you should bother getting off the couch if you can't win need a wake up call. I'm old and slow and a few pounds over weight but I''ve been at this 10 years now and have completed races of every distance including 6 ironmans.  Go ride your mountain bike, enjoy fitness, get some goggles to go with that swim suit and welcome to the addiction.

2014-10-01 1:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

my other goal is to keep the slow people in their place so they don't get that "I'm better than you because I don't care about winning" attitude

Edited by dmiller5 2014-10-01 1:12 PM
2014-10-01 1:22 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by wannabefaster

To still be healthy and happy at age 85.

Everything I do now is working toward that.

Where is the "Like" button for this one !!! I think I agree here
2014-10-01 1:30 PM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

, Kronobergs lan
The goal is to be healthy, happy, be able to eat as much as I like (mostly healthily) without getting fat.

My short term goal is my running session tomorrow

2014-10-01 2:57 PM
in reply to: Martine1975

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I don't have an ultimate goal.  I always have a variety of goals from short to long term, and the list changes over time.

2014-10-01 3:38 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Socks

Keep healthy and fit as long as I can!!!

I was talking to my coach about this this morning actually.  The snobs, typically fast-ish AG athletes who think they are all that and a bag of chips because they are at the top of their AG and begrudge everyone and any one who can't win or have modest goals need a slap in the face.  Endurance sports are about SO MUCH MORE than some arbitrary time goal.  First of all there are so many things that can go wrong on race day esp as you start doing longer races, many of which are beyond our control. 

God bless every single person out their regardless of their size shape appearance or disability who is brave enough to say YEAH I want to do that and starts training.  ANYTHING in our inactive obese country that is eating itself to death that gets anyone off the couch, moving more and embracing a healthy lifestyle is GOOD.  The people who don't think you should bother getting off the couch if you can't win need a wake up call. I'm old and slow and a few pounds over weight but I''ve been at this 10 years now and have completed races of every distance including 6 ironmans.  Go ride your mountain bike, enjoy fitness, get some goggles to go with that swim suit and welcome to the addiction.

I love your second paragraph.

I think (hope) that there aren't that many people to whom your first paragraph applies. In any large enough group there will be one or two bad apples but for the most part, triathletes, from fast to slow, seem to be incredibly inclusive of others. Maybe I am just fortunate but I have not been witness to many who truly think that they "are all that and a bag of chips." Boorish behavior, yes. True unfettered arrogance seems pretty rare. Your post makes me feel like you see this as a common phenomenon.

My next ultimate goal is to make sure that people of all skill levels feel welcome at any triathlon I participate in......

2014-10-01 4:05 PM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Have fun.
2014-10-01 4:20 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Martine1975

Wauw, so much encouragement and inspired stories! Thanks for sharing.

I've tried to tri in the past (20 years ago) and always had to stop because of injury. Now I see why I got all of those injuries. (Pushing myself too far)

Now I'm less competitive and enjoying the journey. Never expected that swimming could be so much fun.

My goal is to do one IM despite the fact that I have fibromyalgie. I want to follow my body in the process and find ways to help myself in finding ways to less pain and muscular fatigue.

It's the first time ever that I've been running for a whole month without pain.

I think you will find almost everyone to be encouraging and helpful to get you to your ultimate goal. Keep hanging out here and you will get great advice and help with almost any triathlon related question. I had not the faintest clue what I was doing when I first came on here and have learned so much

I am interested in following your progress. I have a theory about fibromyalgia and exercise. I suspect that training for triathlon and overall phsyical fitness may be one of the best things that you could do for your health and to improve your control of this disease.

2014-10-01 5:31 PM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
Ski McKinley
2014-10-02 10:03 AM

User image

Oviedo, Florida
I don't really have an "ultimate goal". Pretty much just want to stay healthy and keep racing - and hopefully keep enjoying it!

Don't worry about your gear! Get out there and have a blast! I did my first tri a few years ago on my 50th birthday. I did get a pair of Tri shorts - and I was really happy I did - but that was about it. I also rode my first couple of races on a hybird mountain bike and nobody even looked twice. Heck.. one gal out there had this sweet beach cruiser with a big ole flower basket on it. Awesome!

--
Dave

2014-10-02 11:12 AM

User image

New user
to live forever. So far, so good.

2014-10-02 11:23 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
TO SEEK THE HOLY GRAIL!
2014-10-02 12:03 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

My ultimate goal is to get faster, stay fit, and have fun. I set smaller more specific goals for each year such as finishing in the top 5/10 in a particular race or finishing a race under a particular time. I feel having something to strive for is important, but I also fear having some very specific ultimate goal will leave me wanting when I achieve it. I feel our little sport is more a lifestyle anyway, why write the ending before you've done the journey.
2014-10-02 2:45 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
My ultimate goals is to keep doing this as long as I can and win (no, scrratch that, Dominate) the 90+ age group bracket. See you in Kona in 40 years.
2014-11-05 12:54 PM

User image

Falls Church, Virginia
"My next ultimate goal is to make sure that people of all skill levels feel welcome at any triathlon I participate in......"

Thanks for that reminder, Jason! I think that's a great ultimate goal, one that can stay consistent even as my other goals and priorities shift.

I've been the a**hole age-grouper, and it's embarrassing to think back on the back-of-the-packers I've "inadvertently" swam over in my attempt to set a new PR. So maybe my ultimate goal is to never again be an a-hole triathlete!
2014-11-05 1:26 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Your goals are yours to own, nurture, protect, and grow into reality.  I can't get you through a 140.6 in a way that satisfies your sense of accomplishment. As such, please don't undermine your goals with words like "modest" or "just."  Be proud of whatever goals motivate you to CHANGE in order to accomplish them.  (And if you can do it without changing anything, call it a capability rather than a goal.)  

If you envision yourself crossing the finish line to an iron distance race within the 17-hour cutoff, the challenge is getting to the start line healthy and ready to race.  Attrition during a typical 140.6 is 5% give or take a couple % in normal conditions.  This includes the pro's who drop out so they can preserve themselves for other races rather than pound themselves on a run for an out-of-the-money finish.  Now there are some races where unusual conditions exact a large toll on participants unprepared for the situation or unwilling to adjust their strategy to the situation.  That's all part of preparing for the race.  

I can't say that I've seen any competitors doing IM races on an old mountain bike, but I have seen them race on old, steel-framed road bikes.  My tri-bike is almost 20 years old.  

I think you posted later that you suffer from fibromialgia.  If so, my advice is to hire a coach who understands your condition and will customize a training plan that gets you properly trained.  It won't do you much good to buy a fancy, lightweight bike if you're too sick to ride it!  

2014-11-05 2:07 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Originally posted by McFuzz

Your goals are yours to own, nurture, protect, and grow into reality.  I can't get you through a 140.6 in a way that satisfies your sense of accomplishment. As such, please don't undermine your goals with words like "modest" or "just."  Be proud of whatever goals motivate you to CHANGE in order to accomplish them.  (And if you can do it without changing anything, call it a capability rather than a goal.)  

If you envision yourself crossing the finish line to an iron distance race within the 17-hour cutoff, the challenge is getting to the start line healthy and ready to race.  Attrition during a typical 140.6 is 5% give or take a couple % in normal conditions.  This includes the pro's who drop out so they can preserve themselves for other races rather than pound themselves on a run for an out-of-the-money finish.  Now there are some races where unusual conditions exact a large toll on participants unprepared for the situation or unwilling to adjust their strategy to the situation.  That's all part of preparing for the race.  

I can't say that I've seen any competitors doing IM races on an old mountain bike, but I have seen them race on old, steel-framed road bikes.  My tri-bike is almost 20 years old.  

I think you posted later that you suffer from fibromialgia.  If so, my advice is to hire a coach who understands your condition and will customize a training plan that gets you properly trained.  It won't do you much good to buy a fancy, lightweight bike if you're too sick to ride it!  

I can never seem to get bolding to work correctly on this website, but YES! to the first paragraph. Your goals are yours and are not to be compared to someone else's. I have to remind myself of that from time to time. There is a certain amount of pressure to ultimately do an IM or a marathon or whatever. Sometimes I find myself saying that it is "just" and Oly. The silly thing is that I will say that to someone who thinks that walking a mile is a lot of exercise. Thanks for the reminder. Plus, it is better to do a couple short races a year as part of a lifetime of activity than to do one big race and get so burned out that you become completely sedentary.
2014-11-05 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

If there's one thing I've found out it's that my goals always seem to move. At first it was to run a marathon, then a HIM. That then somehow morphed into qualifying for Boston and picked up some sub 18 5k goals as well. Now I find that's all moved to encompass a sub 16 5k some day before I'm too old and find my way into Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc. Just today I learned you can now qualify to get into Berlin so I'm adding a sub 2:45 marathon to my goal list and one of these days I'll run across the US, unsupported. Who knows what new goals will pop up after all of that.

I think my ultimate goal is to just have fun

2014-11-05 3:53 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by thebigb

If there's one thing I've found out it's that my goals always seem to move. At first it was to run a marathon, then a HIM. That then somehow morphed into qualifying for Boston and picked up some sub 18 5k goals as well. Now I find that's all moved to encompass a sub 16 5k some day before I'm too old and find my way into Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc. Just today I learned you can now qualify to get into Berlin so I'm adding a sub 2:45 marathon to my goal list and one of these days I'll run across the US, unsupported. Who knows what new goals will pop up after all of that.

I think my ultimate goal is to just have fun

That's the great thing about goals - you strive as hard as you can to reach them, and once you do - there's always a new goal you can set for yourself!  Initially mine was to finish a super sprint and now I'm looking at possibly doing two IM's this year (shhhh - don't tell the hubby!), and who knows after that.  I'm also going to try stand-up paddleboarding, aerial silks, do a couple of running races, etc.  

My ultimate goal??  To have fun.    If I'm not enjoying what I'm doing, then what's the point???  

2014-11-05 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
My goal is to come back from this bike crash and get back in shape.
I'd like to be able to compete at the 70.3 and oly distance this year.
2014-11-06 7:26 AM

, Virginia

My ultimate goal is forever changing. As my mind and body becomes healthier and I become more confident I find myself inspiring to want more. I guess one of the advantages to this is I may never reach my ultimate goal so I won't suffer from the "What do I do now?" complex. I have a ton of short-term goals, each goal connecting and supporting the next short-term goal. I have a plan. I try to stick to it, do my best not to beat myself up for straying off track, meander back on track and pat myself on the back for recognizing I strayed and correcting the situation. To me, the important thing is to make that first step. Don't let outside influences or your own brain interfere with what your heart wants. Be safe, be mindful of others and listen to your body.

2014-11-06 12:54 PM
in reply to: #5055226

User image

Sylvania, Ga
World Domination
2014-11-06 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS
I did my first sprint with a mountain bike. I did not have a wet suit. I was passed by an 80 year old on the run. Everyone has to start somewhere.
2014-11-06 8:26 PM
in reply to: LukeBoswell

User image

Denver, Colorado
My ultimate goal is to cross the finish line @ IM BOULDER in 2015.

I did my first 3 Duathlons on a walmart K2 bike, although I felt somewhat out of place next to some extremely fancy bikes and helmets worth more than my entire setup the community was very welcoming to me.

Just get out there and start logging miles, seeing people with very little gear still inspires me because I know how much harder they are working to cover the dam distance. It's the start of an awesome journey. Have fun and good luck!
2014-11-06 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Best of luck.

No ultimate goal at 37. I still would like to break 2 hours for an Olympic distance. Having swam at university I don't expect to top my achievements.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is your ultimate goal? Rss Feed  

of 3