Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-09-30 7:00 AM

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Subject: What is your ultimate goal?
Hi guys and girls,

I was thinking about my ultimate goal and compared to most triathletes that might be a 'low' goal. But I shouldn't care really, cause triathlon is what you do for yourself right.

My ultimate goal is to finish within those 17 hours. Don't care how I make it, as long as I do.

Short time goal is to sign up for a sprint distance somewhere in Florida.

But I don't have any 'gear'. I have an old mountain bike and no specific swimming gear. Just a bathing suite.

Am i going to be looking like a fool?

2014-09-30 7:08 AM
in reply to: Martine1975

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England
Subject: RE: What is your ultimate goal?

To keep going as long as i can

2014-09-30 7:09 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

So it sounds like you're looking to get into your first tri? That's awesome! Will you look like a fool on a mountain bike and no high-zoot gear? Not at all!

What's really needed to do a tri? A bike, whatever bike you have, running shoes, a helmet, something to wear (like a swim suit), and the willingness to give it a go. The rest is all details that we figure out along the way to the ultimate goal.

My ultimate goal? I already know my best times, and most likely my longest distances, are in my rear-view mirror. So I guess I'd have to say my ultimate goal is to pass along what I've learned on my journey, give back a bit, and have fun with a race or two a year as long as I can.

2014-09-30 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
That's a very common goal for triathletes. No, you won't look like a fool. In a sprint there are plenty of beginners (and even in an Olympic distance, there will probably be some) checking out the sport and using makeshift gear. In an iron distance race, yes, you'd get some odd looks with a mountain bike. I did my first tri in a jog bra, T-shirt (for bike and run) and men's fake Speedo jammers, and I don't recall getting laughed at.

As for my ultimate goal.....I'm not a really goal-oriented person. I more enjoy the journey and (to be honest) beating people in races. I'd really, really like to break 2:30 in an Olympic distance but things haven't come together for me in a race of that distance and I'm not getting any younger. I just don't know if I have it in me, but I'll probably keep trying for another few years. Otherwise, improve my biking, do well in my age group (I'm getting a bit old to take the overall, and already done that in a few smaller races). Maybe someday do an IM if I had time to train for it properly and somewhere nice to bike (I don't here). I've always joked that I want to have the world record in the mile and if I have to live to 100 to get the (age) record, fine. It's always been one of my favorite events, but I've never had the speed to be truly competitive. But maybe if I could outlive my competition, I could have the last laugh....Better yet, take it in the mile run, and the mile (or 1500m) swim.
2014-09-30 7:42 AM

User image

I would say that at least a quarter of the bikes at sprint races around here are mountain bikes or comfort bikes. I see people racing in just a swimming suit, shoes, and helmet (but only wear the helmet on the bike ) No one will care what you ride or what you wear as long as you don't block them.

Personally, I don't have any real, "ultimate" goals. I am planning on doing a couple HIMs next year. It would be nice at any distance to get a true podium spot. I have never finished higher that 6th OA female, but I admit that I don't want to put in the training needed to get on the podium. One thing I am willing to train for is the Wall at Savageman. I want my brick next year. Even if I finish DFL in the race, I want that brick.
2014-09-30 7:54 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

I cant say that I have an "ultimate" goal. I have several competitive goals that I would like to accomplish in the next few years. Run a sub-3 hour marathon (maybe in 5 weeks or so!!), perhaps KQ, run a 50 mile ultra (this Nov. hopefully!), run a challenging ultra like the Western States 100, or something crazy like Badwater (as if the Western States or ANY 100 mile ultra wasn't crazy enough. Some of these goals are more out of reach than others, but I'll just keep plugging away and see what happens.

Ultimately I will keep doing this until I no longer enjoy it. And by "this," I mean training and racing for different events for health, fun, and competition.

I don't think anyone will find you foolish. I've found that there are a few types of people who do these events. A few that are hyper-competitive and driven, and those people are so self-absorbed (I guess I don't mean this in a bad way) that they can barely register your existence. Most people who do these events are just out there having fun and I've found that there is virtually no negativity. People are very positive and supportive.

And again, as far as my ultimate goal of doing this until I no longer enjoy it. I don't think I am anywhere near that, and hope to never achieve that goal!

2014-09-30 8:14 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I have one Ultimate Goal, but it has nothing to do with triathlon directly. My goal is to get completely off of my BP and Diabetes meds. Tri for me is a means to an end. Granted, it's a fun, challenging and frustrating means... but the carrots keep me going. The first carrot was this year and my first tri. My second was a bonus. Next year it's going after both PRs and 1-2 other events (tri, du, spartan). I'll probably level off in '16 with my Oly carrot . Anything longer: HM, Marathon, 70.3, etc will have to wait at least a decade as 4 kids takes up a lot of my free time.

It's been said before but all you need is a swimsuit/goggles, then bike/helmet and then running shoes... for a sprint at least.
2014-09-30 9:39 AM

User image

Originally posted by Martine1975 Hi guys and girls, I was thinking about my ultimate goal and compared to most triathletes that might be a 'low' goal. But I shouldn't care really, cause triathlon is what you do for yourself right. My ultimate goal is to finish within those 17 hours. Don't care how I make it, as long as I do. Short time goal is to sign up for a sprint distance somewhere in Florida. But I don't have any 'gear'. I have an old mountain bike and no specific swimming gear. Just a bathing suite. Am i going to be looking like a fool?

that's how I started.  a bathing suit and a mountain bike - and when I see someone out on a sprint course dressed like this, my thought is, kudos to them! and I cheer extra for them in my head if not with a shout out as they pass by

2014-09-30 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Interesting question.

I've never really had a burning desire to do an IM.  Part of it is knowing my physical (and age) limitations, and part of it is that I have other hobbies and interests that I enjoy that compete for my time.

I really enjoy sprint and Olympic distance races and the volume of training to do those distances fits well with my lifestyle.

Mark

2014-09-30 10:36 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Welcome!

First, you won't look like a fool.  Very few people start out of the gate with all the gear, expensive tri bikes, race wheels, etc,  unless they are the type that have tons of expendable income and want to "look" the part.  More power to them if they have the money to do that.  MOST people work up to it over several years.  It's also good to know if you will stay in the sport or what your particular needs are before dropping excessive amounts of cash into the sport.

My first tri was on my old road bike and I swam/biked/ran in some bike shorts that had minimal padding.  I see tons of mountain bikes and commuter bikes out there on a sprint.

MY ultimate goal?  I can't lie, It was Ironman from the start.  20 years ago (or longer?) I saw that on TV and thought it was the most amazing physical accomplishment.  At that point, running a 10k was hard and these people were running a marathon at a pace I couldn't dream of AFTER 2.4 miles in the ocean and 112 on the bike!  I couldn't imagine doing ONE of those legs, much less all three.  I knew that I wanted to be able to do one.  I didn't care about my time, I just wanted to DO it...

The entire journey was great.  There was joy at completing my first tri, then stepping up the distances, then beat old personal records, then knocking out my first IM about 2 years after starting (which was probably too soon, but oh well!).  Also, "finishing" under the 17 hour is STILL my goal.  Even when I'm shooting for under 12 hours in a particular race, I still think that if something should go wrong or if I have a bad day, that all that really matters is 17 hours...

And honestly?  Toeing the line and putting in the work to get there is the most important part.   The race is icing on the cake.

2014-09-30 12:05 PM
in reply to: 5IMsin2014

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by 5IMsin2014

Originally posted by Martine1975 Hi guys and girls, I was thinking about my ultimate goal and compared to most triathletes that might be a 'low' goal. But I shouldn't care really, cause triathlon is what you do for yourself right. My ultimate goal is to finish within those 17 hours. Don't care how I make it, as long as I do. Short time goal is to sign up for a sprint distance somewhere in Florida. But I don't have any 'gear'. I have an old mountain bike and no specific swimming gear. Just a bathing suite. Am i going to be looking like a fool?

that's how I started.  a bathing suit and a mountain bike - and when I see someone out on a sprint course dressed like this, my thought is, kudos to them! and I cheer extra for them in my head if not with a shout out as they pass by

Same here! When I was doing my first couple tri's on my hybrid commuter bike I would get words of encouragement from some of the faster bikers whizzing by. I try to continue that tradition.

2014-09-30 12:24 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

As for my ultimate goal: to keep enjoying the sport and the fitness benefits!

Last weekend I did my first Olympic distance triathlon and I feel it's the perfect distance for me, much like half marathons when it comes to running. The distance is still a challenge that requires weekly training to stay prepared, but not so much training that it becomes a "second job" and could lead me to burn out.

2014-09-30 12:37 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
My ultimate goal is an IM. My problem is I only get one shot at it. After getting hit by a car last year and two surgeries, the second being a full hip replacement, my doctor says the impact of the running means I only get to do one and then only Aqua/Bike events. So currently my plan is IMAZ in 2016.

After that, to be able to compete for many years to come.

And to your question, no you are in the norm. Have a great time!
2014-09-30 1:22 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I don't think you'll look like a fool at all. Actually, you'll just look like someone doing their first triathlon and will likely get a lot of encouragement. That's how my first one was. I was on a rented mountain bike, in sneakers and running shorts and got tons of positive comments from the hardcore guys and girls whizzing past me. The best part about the first one is you don't have any expectations and you just sort of roll with it. Go for it.
2014-09-30 1:55 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Denver, CO

Yay for getting started!!  Doesn't matter what you wear, the thing that really matters is that you're doing it!

I don't have an "ultimate" goal per se, but I'm planning to do a half Ironman in St. Croix for my 50th birthday.  That gives me 5 years (well, 4.5 years now) to get ready.  I just started doing tris this year after a couple years of doing nothing due to injury so I want to give myself plenty of time to work up to it.  If it turns out my body can't handle that level of training, there's a sprint distance race there at the same time.  That's my fall-back plan.  Either way, I'm going to St. Croix!  After that, not sure.  Probably another "milestone" race and definitely lots of fun training and racing.

2014-09-30 2:51 PM

Originally posted by Martine1975

Hi guys and girls,

I was thinking about my ultimate goal and compared to most triathletes that might be a 'low' goal. But I shouldn't care really, cause triathlon is what you do for yourself right.

My ultimate goal is to finish within those 17 hours. Don't care how I make it, as long as I do.

Short time goal is to sign up for a sprint distance somewhere in Florida.

But I don't have any 'gear'. I have an old mountain bike and no specific swimming gear. Just a bathing suite.

Am i going to be looking like a fool?

From my limited experience, WE ALL look a bit foolish. I mean, really...."let's go push our bodies to an unnecessary extreme and call it fun."
Sometimes, the more gear you have, the more freakish you can look.

Triathlon was never my goal. It was something I realized I could do when I became fit for the first time in my life. My #1 goal is to maintain fitness. If triathlon (not sure how) ever got in the way of that, I'd ditch it in an instant.

My goals have always been:
1. complete
2. complete strong (ie. run the full distance)
3. work my way up to an Olympic length

That was before I realized I might be able to pull off more.

Next year:
(note: not likely I'll run the entire distance)

Year After? Age 45?
140?
Certainly won't run the whole way. As you say, I don't care how I do it. But, we've got 17 hours right? I'll settle for 16:59:59

Let's do this thing!!!

Also....here's my value tip of the day when it comes to gear:
I got a race belt (to holder you bib/number) on clearance at a running store for $4. Keeps you from having to change clothing or bother with safety pins.

2014-09-30 3:22 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

, North Carolina
Podium.

I'm going to keep looking for small out of the way races that I can win.

After that I need something to train for. Keeps my mind focused. Competing in triathlons is just a good way for me to stay in shape and stay focused.
2014-09-30 3:26 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

My ultimate triathlon goal?

Is to honestly say, there was nothing else I could have done, I left it all out there and did the best I could in training and racing.

2014-09-30 8:53 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by ImSore I cant say that I have an "ultimate" goal. I have several competitive goals that I would like to accomplish in the next few years. Run a sub-3 hour marathon (maybe in 5 weeks or so!!), perhaps KQ, run a 50 mile ultra (this Nov. hopefully!), run a challenging ultra like the Western States 100, or something crazy like Badwater (as if the Western States or ANY 100 mile ultra wasn't crazy enough. Some of these goals are more out of reach than others, but I'll just keep plugging away and see what happens. Ultimately I will keep doing this until I no longer enjoy it. And by "this," I mean training and racing for different events for health, fun, and competition. I don't think anyone will find you foolish. I've found that there are a few types of people who do these events. A few that are hyper-competitive and driven, and those people are so self-absorbed (I guess I don't mean this in a bad way) that they can barely register your existence. Most people who do these events are just out there having fun and I've found that there is virtually no negativity. People are very positive and supportive. And again, as far as my ultimate goal of doing this until I no longer enjoy it. I don't think I am anywhere near that, and hope to never achieve that goal!

These competitive goals are pretty much the same as mine.

I'd like to keep doing Ironman distance races.  I've done 9 so far.  IMAZ this November will be number 10.

I'd like to break my IM PR of 11:53.  In fact, I'd like to Kona qualify but that's a ways off - need to either get a lot faster or a lot older. :-)

I'd like to BQ.  Tried a few years ago when 3:20 was the goal, injured my heel at mile 18, turned in 3:30.  Grrrr.

I'd like to do more running races.  Running what I love the most.  Maybe a 50 miler.  And maybe someday something "crazy" like Western States 100 or Badwater.  I've seen Running on the Sun and The Distance of Truth and Badwater has an appeal to me.

BTW, here's my advice on looking foolish.  At a certain age/experience in life, you probably worry about what other people think about you.  Then you reach a certain point where you don't care what most people think of you.  And then you reach a certain point where you realize most people aren't thinking about you at all. 

In a triathlon, most people are thinking of their race.  Not about your bike or your swimsuit.  Nothing to worry about.  Race your race.

2014-09-30 10:29 PM
in reply to: #5055226

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Wauw, so much encouragement and inspired stories! Thanks for sharing.

I've tried to tri in the past (20 years ago) and always had to stop because of injury. Now I see why I got all of those injuries. (Pushing myself too far)

Now I'm less competitive and enjoying the journey. Never expected that swimming could be so much fun.

My goal is to do one IM despite the fact that I have fibromyalgie. I want to follow my body in the process and find ways to help myself in finding ways to less pain and muscular fatigue.

It's the first time ever that I've been running for a whole month without pain.
2014-09-30 10:59 PM
in reply to: #5055637

I completed my first tri this year. On January 11th I weighed 309 lbs. when I competed in they Naperville Sprint Triathlon on August 10th I was at 255 lbs. for the bike and run I wore a dri fit shirt that said "Just do it ". I wore knee braces on both knees to help seal with the pain felt when running / walking on my knees. I used a mountain bike on this race. I can't tell you you how many people that were actual racers said "just do it " as words of encouragement. For me. I personal recorded my swim and bike time. The run was pathetic like I expected due to. Knee pain. I finished 84th out of 85 in my age group. I will never forget the competitors and volunteers yelling " just do it ". I can honestly say it helped me finish the race

2014-10-01 11:27 AM
in reply to: #5055643

Ultimate goal. That's easy. Complete a half iron Sept '15. The course runs by my apartment. No one will be better acquainted with the course more than me come race day. Don't have time goal yet.
2014-10-01 11:39 AM
in reply to: kbed73

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
2014-10-01 11:40 AM
in reply to: kbed73

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
You won't look like a fool. I'd venture to guess you'd feel more like a fool for letting some inhibitions keep you from doing something you want to do. So, jump in and have fun!

I have lots of goals, but my ultimate, long term goal is 12 plus 1. I don't think I'll ever be fast enough to KQ, but I can strive to be doggedly determined and do my 12 to legacy in!
2014-10-01 11:58 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
To still be healthy and happy at age 85.

Everything I do now is working toward that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is your ultimate goal? Rss Feed  

of 3