Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-10-06 6:50 AM

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Subject: How much do you guys sleep?
Hi guys and girls,

I was wondering how many hours sleep you get and how your training influences your sleep pattern.

They say that when you work out a lot, you need more sleep and your sleep will be deeper.

Is this true in your experience, or has your healthy lifestyle made you sleep LESS instead of more?

2014-10-06 7:15 AM
in reply to: Martine1975

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: How much do you guys sleep?
I was wondering this my self as well.

I've found that if I am plenty rested 8+ hours of sleep my eating and drinking choices the next day are much better. But when I am fatigued and get less that 6.5 hours I make poor choices.

Funny thing is that one day of bad sleep is not going to do that much damage but it is the day after day of the lack of sleep will run me down.

I do sleep much better now that I am in better shape and fall asleep faster.
2014-10-06 7:40 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Conroe, Texas
I was thinking of starting a thread on the same subject. I am getting the same amount of sleep during the night 7hrs +/- but I sure am taking a lot more naps. In the year prior to starting my triathlon training I probably napped a total of 5 times, I have NEVER been much on naps. But in the last 9 months I nap an average of 3 times a week for 20 to 30 minutes and I really feel like I'm being lazy. I have thought about going to bed earlier (8PM instead of 9PM) but I'm saving that life style change when and if I decide to start Ironman training.
2014-10-06 7:59 AM

Master
Northern IL

For me, keeping a fairly regular sleep pattern throughout the entire week (all 7 days) has also been important. Not just the amount, but sleeping at a regular time as much as possible. Doesn't always happen, but do the best I can. Sleep isn't quite like filling a tank of gas, but a process. Sometimes things happen during the week and I'll get 5-6 hrs a night, sometimes less, and then end up at 9 on the weekend. This is not really making up for it, so I'll try to figure out what happened to make it more stable. Then I'll start to really feel better.

I've taken naps at times when I really need them, but tend to find them disruptive to the process as described above. So again, I'll try to figure out why I needed one and adjust as best I can to not need it.

2014-10-06 8:34 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

I swim Monday/Wednesday/Friday so I get up at 5:10am. So, I try and get to sleep before 9:00pm. Even on the days I don't swim I get up at 5:30am just to keep things consistent. I need, at minimum, 8 hours every night. On the weekends when I put in my long bike I aim for 9-10 hours that night.
2014-10-06 8:36 AM

User image

I cannot physically sleep more than about 6 hours without drugs.

When I'm into longer rides and runs, that drops to 4 hours.

I've wanted to "sleep in" since I was about 15 but never been able to.

2014-10-06 8:42 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by DanielG

I'm glad I'm not the only one. 4-5 hours of sleep and I'm raring to go. I've always had a hard time going to sleep (tossing & turning), but once I'm out, an earthquake wouldn't wake me. Of course I'll sleep more if completely wiped out due to illness or something like that.
2014-10-06 8:43 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I can't function on less than 8 hours of sleep. Most nights it's closer to 9.
2014-10-06 8:44 AM
in reply to: #5057058

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Several articles that I've been reading stress the importance of having a good sleep.

Also, when you train a lot, you need more SWS sleep. Deep sleep.

When you are OVERTRAINED, one of the symptoms is insomnia.

Since I've been working out, I sleep a lot better than before and I go to bed at midnight and get up around 9 am.
2014-10-06 9:00 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I try to get around 7.5 - 8.0 hours per night.  Usually in bed no later than 10PM. 

I normally run and ride early.  I swim right after work at 5PM. 

If I workout after dinner in the evenings, then I'm too "wired" and have problems going to sleep.

On the weekends I'll take an afternoon nap after a long ride and certainly after a race.

One irony - I'm 61 and have found that I seem to need less overall sleep than I used to, even though I need more recovery time between hard workouts.  Definitely a balancing act.

Mark

2014-10-06 9:14 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Martine1975

Several articles that I've been reading stress the importance of having a good sleep.

Since I've been working out, I sleep a lot better than before and I go to bed at midnight and get up around 9 am.

I can attest to the insomnia. Whenever I increase my training I normally have about a week where I wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep for an hour or two. Once my body catches up to the new schedule, I get back to a normal sleep routine.

2014-10-06 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

I try to get 7-9 hours every night, but occasionally I do a few 4-5 hour nights in a row if my schedule of work/social/training becomes a little much.  I find not getting much sleep won't really impact me much unless it happens regularly for a week. 

2014-10-06 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Sleep is where the magic happens. Where the adaptions take place. FIrst 45 minutes of your sleep is the most beneficial as that is where the most growth hormones are produced.

Lots of research is coming out that says you actually can "catch up" on sleep if you only sleep 5-6 hours a night. Napping through the day does produce benefits.

Sleep is hard to come by for many these days hectic schedules, busy lives, and early mornings lead to fewer hours of sleep,
2014-10-06 9:25 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

9 hours per night is my sweet spot, all though while I have no issues whatsoever falling asleep, it's staying asleep that plagues me. While I've always been a "light" sleeper, for the past six months or so I will wake up at 2 or 3 a.m. and not be able to fall back asleep till 5 or 6 a.m. Not every night, but at least a few nights a week. 

2014-10-06 9:30 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Originally posted by bcagle25

Sleep is where the magic happens. Where the adaptions take place. FIrst 45 minutes of your sleep is the most beneficial as that is where the most growth hormones are produced.

Lots of research is coming out that says you actually can "catch up" on sleep if you only sleep 5-6 hours a night. Napping through the day does produce benefits.

Sleep is hard to come by for many these days hectic schedules, busy lives, and early mornings lead to fewer hours of sleep,

Ben
have you read any of the research that talks about splitting yoru sleep into 2 periods an early evening - 3-4 hour and then an early morning 4-5 hour with a couple of hours awake in between? its intriguing because I find my body naturally wants to do that and curious whether you (or others) have more insight
2014-10-06 9:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I have always needed a lot of sleep. I get at least 8 hours a night, sometimes closer to 10 on the weekends. And because I grew up across the street from a rail road switching yard, I can sleep through anything. Those tend to be 8-10 hard hours of sleep.

Edited by happyscientist 2014-10-06 9:41 AM

2014-10-06 9:46 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Originally posted by DanielG

I'm glad I'm not the only one. 4-5 hours of sleep and I'm raring to go. I've always had a hard time going to sleep (tossing & turning), but once I'm out, an earthquake wouldn't wake me. Of course I'll sleep more if completely wiped out due to illness or something like that.

Our daughter is just over a year now, so I'm use to not sleeping consistently. I have never been one that would sleep all day. I'm functional at 5-6, but even sleeping in is about 7 hours. My SO on the other hand can sleep 10-12 hours and want more.
2014-10-06 11:02 AM
in reply to: deboerkj

User image

Extreme Veteran
I usually get 7 hours a night + 30-45 minute afternoon nap. On weekends I'm able to get 8-9 hours a night and don't need a nap. I have 4 kids so have to get the training done in the early morning hours.
2014-10-06 11:13 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

New user
Not enough. I try to get in 6~7 hrs sleep on regular basis. Try to get 20 minutes of nap during lunch too. Squeezing the training during my long work week and still have some downtime can be a challenge for me. If I had more time, I'd want to sleep more.
2014-10-06 11:22 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Clempson

I try to get 7-9 hours every night, but occasionally I do a few 4-5 hour nights in a row if my schedule of work/social/training becomes a little much.  I find not getting much sleep won't really impact me much unless it happens regularly for a week. 

This is the case with me as well.  There will be nights after a hard session (usually a hammerfest on the bike) where I'll have trouble sleeping.  I just can't get comfortable.

2014-10-06 11:24 AM
in reply to: Tmanishere

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Six hours....My body clock usually wakes up 5-10 minutes before my alarm....I do majority of my training early so I go to bed between 9:00 - 10:00 AM and get up at 3:00 or 4:00 AM. The bad part is my body clock doesnt care if it the weekend, I still wake up early.

2014-10-06 11:44 AM
in reply to: #5057058

8 hours during the week, as much as possible on weekends.
2014-10-06 12:15 PM
in reply to: standbyzero

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I've always been a big sleeper (in bed by 10 and up at 7 weekdays and as lates as 10 at weekends- don't even think about asking me to get up earlier to train) and since I started training , I have noticed NO change at all. I still need my 8-10 hours.
2014-10-06 12:36 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Let me give a few more details... I'm beginning to think I'm odd man out, lol!

My sleeping 4-5 hours has been that way for as long as I can remember. This includes time as a high school athlete, in the military, different jobs (some stressful, some not), and both thin and heavy. I have had periods of insomnia from time to time as well... generally during heavy stress situations. For example: Finals week in HS... I wasn't sure I was going to graduate (long story there), and I did not sleep that week. I was simply not tired, had plenty of energy and no loss of cognitive function (I did manage to pass all my finals, lol!). Right now I tend to sleep from midnight-4:30 or 5 and I'm up and at it, generally before my alarm goes off.

Originally posted by jarvy01
I have 4 kids so have to get the training done in the early morning hours.

I'm in the same boat here. 4 kids from 15yrs to 2yrs. Plus my wife works odd shifts: some night, some day... it just depends on when she's needed (ER Nurse). This dictates that my training be either early morning or late evening. The nice thing is that I can go out for a 2-3 mile run, come in, shower off and go right to sleep... Actually, I don't toss and turn on those nights Here's a fun set of facts: I also try to stay away from caffeine since it tends to put me to sleep. Valium, on the other hand, will have me paranoid and bouncing off the walls... and freaking out the Dr in day surgery
2014-10-06 3:23 PM
in reply to: #5057177

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Hi guys,

I saw one of you talking about splitting up your sleep into an early core (around dawn) and another core sleep around dawn.

In between those cores you have a couple of hours awake (like being awake from 2am till 4am), and this is the most natural sleeping pattern (according to sleep scientists).

So don't worry about waking up during the night anymore.

I myself have been reading a LOT about polyphasic sleeping and napping and am a fan of polyphasic sleeping cause when you sleep/nap for several times a day, the overall amount of sleep that you need will decrease.

It is possible to live with 6x 20 minute naps even (uberman schedule). More people though live on the Everyman Schedule with a total amount of sleep around 4 hours. But all polyphasic sleepers report that training increases their need to sleep.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much do you guys sleep? Rss Feed  

of 4