General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much do you guys sleep? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-10-08 8:24 AM
in reply to: Martine1975

User image

Miami
Subject: RE: How much do you guys sleep?
Before triathlon I used to function with 5 - 5 1/2 hours of sleep. When I started training for my firsts tris, my sleeping pattern didn't change much, if at all. However, since I was more serious about it and increased my volume and/or intensity, I need at least 7 to 7 1/2 hours of sleep to be able to train well and function and work/life the next day.

2014-10-08 9:07 AM

User image

being 22 while training for a triathlon is tough for me. full time school, full time job, family, trying to maintain a social life, along with IM training is very tiring (but rewarding). I typically get 5-6 hours of sleep a night. It works for me, but everyones different.
2014-10-08 9:55 AM
in reply to: calebTris

User image

Originally posted by calebTris

being 22 while training for a triathlon is tough for me. full time school, full time job, family, trying to maintain a social life, along with IM training is very tiring (but rewarding). I typically get 5-6 hours of sleep a night. It works for me, but everyones different.

what is this social life you speak of?
2014-11-06 7:26 PM

User image

Veteran
I need about 8-9 hours of sleep, but I never get this much. It takes me anywhere between -2 hours to fall asleep and next I wake up 3 0r 4 times. I just had a sleep study done and I'm waiting for results,

When I run, swim or bike at night I cannot sleep until 1 am. It sucks because my maser swim class is on Wednesday nights.
2014-11-06 8:19 PM
in reply to: slonce5

Scottsdale, AZ
During the week I try to get 7 - down at 9, up at 4am - but that is idea - sometimes it's more like 6.5 hours . I can do ok on this for a couple days but it starts to wear me down. On the weekends I try to sleep at least 9 right now. I'm not up early either day (trainer on Saturday, rest day on Sunday) and poop out around 10 most nights. Since I'm not riding early on Saturdays, I've gotten lazy with getting up early on the weekends.

With IMAZ training starting next year...gonna have to change that - darn!
2014-11-06 11:40 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

New user
I need 8 hours average, sometimes more during heavy training.

I'm lucky in that my job starts between 9-10am in the morning, so I plan my long morning workouts for 10am days, so worst case I'm up around 7am. I do frequent workouts on my lunch breaks or after work as well. Since I'm not a morning person, doing a workout at night (9pm is about my cutoff) means I can unwind and be asleep by 10-11pm at the latest. Very occasionally I'll have issues sleeping (resulting in a 5-6 hour night), and I'll always be compelled to make it up within a few days (no choice, body shuts down).

When I don't have to do the alarm thing, I can sleep between 10-12 hours, no problem. I think I'm still making up for sleep deficits in college.

2014-11-07 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I get about 6-6.5 Sunday-Thursday and I might be able to bump that to 7-7.5 on Friday and Saturday.  I'd say this isn't enough for me, but it is what it is.  When I'm in full on training mode working out 10-15 hours a week it gets real tough.

2014-11-07 2:13 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Sleep?  What's that????

Bed by 10:30.

Alarm at 5:00 AM.  (earlier if I'm training for a long race)

In between is at least 2 wake up calls by my 5 year old. 

2014-11-07 2:21 PM

My husband and I get at least 8 hours per night. On occasion we get less, but 8 hours is the norm. I'm glad to see others get this much sleep too, my husband says we are not normal and that most people in their 30s don't get as much sleep as we do. I've always went to bed early and got up early, even in college.
2014-11-08 7:05 AM
in reply to: Nick B

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Nick B

Does any body train in the evening/night? Any affect on sleep?

When I was in my 30s mucht of my training was after putting the kids to bed. On the trainer or running till 10 or 11 or even latter. Take a quick shower and I'd be out like a light within minutes. Up at 5:30 or 6:00.

Now as a recently retired guy I'm lucky enough to train when I want. Generally to bed by 9-10 and up around 6. Probably 2-3 times a week I can't sleep for a couple hours in the middle of the night. Then I might sleep in until 7 or 7:30. Generally getting about 8 hours + a night and it really seems to help with training.
2014-11-08 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by slonce5 I need about 8-9 hours of sleep, but I never get this much. It takes me anywhere between -2 hours to fall asleep and next I wake up 3 0r 4 times. I just had a sleep study done and I'm waiting for results, When I run, swim or bike at night I cannot sleep until 1 am. It sucks because my maser swim class is on Wednesday nights.

I've had two sleep studies done, found out I have sleep apnea so I've been using a CPAP for the past year and a half.  I hate the thing so it's a struggle to fall asleep with it.  I take meds to fall asleep and I could be dead tired and once the lights go out I'm wide awake...I'd say the soonest I can fall asleep is within one hour of lights out...

In bed lights out by 9:30-10:00 at the latest during the week, morning swims 3x per week, up at 5:00am... Routinely I'll wake up between 3:30-4:30am and be finally back to sleep when my alarm goes off at 5:00am...

Sleep is the most messed up part of my life... 

2014-11-08 1:08 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Veteran
I've had two sleep studies done, found out I have sleep apnea so I've been using a CPAP for the past year and a half.  I hate the thing so it's a struggle to fall asleep with it.  I take meds to fall asleep and I could be dead tired and once the lights go out I'm wide awake...I'd say the soonest I can fall asleep is within one hour of lights out...

In bed lights out by 9:30-10:00 at the latest during the week, morning swims 3x per week, up at 5:00am... Routinely I'll wake up between 3:30-4:30am and be finally back to sleep when my alarm goes off at 5:00am...

Do the meds help you to fall asleep? I have tried Ambien in the past, but it did not help me to fall asleep. I had had a home sleep study done and my doc is 95 % sure that I do not have a sleep apnea. I just had an overnight sleep study done and I'm waiting for a result. During this study I woke up at least 3 times, so I hope I will find out what wakes me up.

On rare occasions I can sleep 6 hours straight without waking up and I feel rested after this.

2014-11-08 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran

Do the meds help you to fall asleep? I have tried Ambien in the past, but it did not help me to fall asleep. I had had a home sleep study done and my doc is 95 % sure that I do not have a sleep apnea. I just had an overnight sleep study done and I'm waiting for a result. During this study I woke up at least 3 times, so I hope I will find out what wakes me up.

On rare occasions I can sleep 6 hours straight without waking up and I feel rested after this.

2014-11-08 1:09 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by DanielG

I cannot physically sleep more than about 6 hours without drugs.

When I'm into longer rides and runs, that drops to 4 hours.

I've wanted to "sleep in" since I was about 15 but never been able to.

wow I'm so jealous.
2014-11-08 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by slonce5 I've had two sleep studies done, found out I have sleep apnea so I've been using a CPAP for the past year and a half.  I hate the thing so it's a struggle to fall asleep with it.  I take meds to fall asleep and I could be dead tired and once the lights go out I'm wide awake...I'd say the soonest I can fall asleep is within one hour of lights out...

Do the meds help you to fall asleep? I have tried Ambien in the past, but it did not help me to fall asleep. I had had a home sleep study done and my doc is 95 % sure that I do not have a sleep apnea. I just had an overnight sleep study done and I'm waiting for a result. During this study I woke up at least 3 times, so I hope I will find out what wakes me up. On rare occasions I can sleep 6 hours straight without waking up and I feel rested after this.

My sleep studies were at a clinic where I was hooked up to monitors, all over my head, chest and back.  I then had a sleep technician monitoring me throughout the night and it was videotaped.  I can't remember the # of times per hour I stopped breathing but it was significant enough the Dr.'s said I needed to get on a CPAP right away..

Ambien does not help me fall asleep, I'm told it should help me to stay asleep however that was never a problem even before the CPAP - staying asleep.  My problem has always been falling asleep...

2014-11-08 5:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Do you worry a lot at night? Do u have racing thoughts ? Do you over think?

2014-11-08 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by slonce5 Do you worry a lot at night? Do u have racing thoughts ? Do you over think?

Pre- CPAP the reasons vary.  Sometimes reprocessing the day, other times thinking about tomorrow etc... However since the CPAP it's been more about calming down and breathing relaxed...

I'm a natural mouth breather so breathing through my nose isn't easy... Add in a deviated septum and the occasional cold etc., and I feel like I'm asphyxiating at times..

I know sleep apnea is bad so I keep up with the CPAP but some nights are definitely rough starting out...

2014-11-08 10:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Tradazone is good for over thinking and calming down. I used to take once a while when I suffered from severe insomnia.
2014-11-09 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sounds like the insomnia may have some psychological/life stress causes, but some other ideas.....

Have you tried a "visual diet" of no screen time within the last 30-60 minutes before trying to sleep? (As in no TV, internet, even reading from a Kindle.) I've seen some research supporting that, and it's been useful for me and some of my students. Also, some people find themselves physically and mentally overstimulated by workouts, especially intense ones, too close to bedtime. It seems the workout can raise your core temperature and delay the natural drop in body temps that is part of the body's mechanism of slowing down for sleep. Plus the workout itself can be mentally stimulating (even if tiring) and contribute to racing thoughts, etc. (For some reason, I often lie there wanting to go out and run some more!) I found my sleep quality improved a lot when I moved the hard run and trainer workouts to early AM before work.
2014-11-09 1:52 PM

Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by slonce5 Do you worry a lot at night? Do u have racing thoughts ? Do you over think?

Pre- CPAP the reasons vary.  Sometimes reprocessing the day, other times thinking about tomorrow etc... However since the CPAP it's been more about calming down and breathing relaxed...

I'm a natural mouth breather so breathing through my nose isn't easy... Add in a deviated septum and the occasional cold etc., and I feel like I'm asphyxiating at times..

I know sleep apnea is bad so I keep up with the CPAP but some nights are definitely rough starting out...

I honestly think the apnea thing is hugely overdiagnosed, not that I'd go off CPAP for you. 

I too got the same diagnosis, of 'waking up 60 times in an hour' during REM, and yes I use a CPAP now as well, but it honestly hasn't made a  huge improvement in my quality of sleep or duration of sleep. There are some for whom CPAP  for sure helps, but I'm skeptical it's so effective in people with normal necks and normal BMIs like myself that don't at all fit the typical apneic profile.

But yes, I still use the darn thing, every night.

2014-11-09 4:37 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by yazmaster

Originally posted by TriMike

I honestly think the apnea thing is hugely overdiagnosed, not that I'd go off CPAP for you. 

I too got the same diagnosis, of 'waking up 60 times in an hour' during REM, and yes I use a CPAP now as well, but it honestly hasn't made a  huge improvement in my quality of sleep or duration of sleep. There are some for whom CPAP  for sure helps, but I'm skeptical it's so effective in people with normal necks and normal BMIs like myself that don't at all fit the typical apneic profile.

But yes, I still use the darn thing, every night.

I'm wondering the same thing.  I'm fit, and not even close to obese although my BMI is higher because of muscle mass.

I have some other medical stuff going on and one of the Dr.'s has requested my sleep study results as he openly questions how they arrived at sleep apnea.  He said something about whether it was organic ???  

I'm in next on the 12th and am quite interested to hear his review.

2014-11-10 5:16 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I really need 8.5-9hrs, but that rarely happens during the week. I'm sleeping about 7.5hr per night on weekdays and closer to 8.5 on weekends. When I'm in a heavier training period, I need more sleep, so social life it pretty much once a week (if that…)
2014-11-10 8:53 AM

User image

I'm up at 4:42 a.m. most days to train so in bed, usually reading, by 8:00 p.m. A good, solid 8-9 hours and it has changed our lives. My fiancé and I were hard partyers when we met. Ha! Now we train hard and sleep harder!

Patti
2014-11-10 2:04 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

, North Carolina
I'd like to add to this. Right when this thread was started I was doing quite a bit of work out in the shop after the baby went to bed. So I was getting much less sleep per night. Did this for about a week or two and it wore me down fast. It has taken me another two weeks to get back to feeling rested. I liked getting the stuff done in the shop but just can't sacrifice that much sleep. I need 7.5-8.5 a night.
2014-11-10 10:30 PM
in reply to: calebTris

User image

Originally posted by calebTris

I'm in the same boat but find myself prioritizing sleep over a lot of things... I am able to get between 6-8 a night. Sometimes though, it doesn't feel like enough. double days, class and work make 8 hours feel like nothing!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much do you guys sleep? Rss Feed  

of 4