General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pick my spring HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-10-09 10:42 AM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Subject: pick my spring HIM
I'm looking for recommendations for a great spring HIM that works with my schedule. I asked BT for fall HIM recommendations last year and it led me to one of my favorite races ever (Beach to Battleship), so I want to try this game again.

Requirements:

1. I'm registered for Ironman Mont-Tremblant, which is on August 16. So ideally, the HIM would be in late May, June, or early July, and would be used as a tuneup for the IM.

2. Must be within driving distance (say 10 hours) of DC. I'm already spending a ton of vacation time and money on the IM, so I'd prefer to keep my other races on the budget end and not have to fly/ship bike.

3. As it's a tuneup for a hilly IM, I'd prefer a race with a hilly bike course. (I don't want to do Eagleman, despite it being the closest option, since the course is so flat.) Any kind of run or swim course are fine.

4. With the understanding that it may not be avoidable in June/July, I don't do well in heat and humidity and would avoid races that are always notoriously hot (again, looking at you, Eagleman).

5. I don't care about Ironman brand races v. other brands. Any race company is fine.

I have a few races in mind but am curious to see what others recommend. Thanks!

2014-10-09 11:19 AM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: pick my spring HIM
Half Rev Knoxville in May is a great tuneup for IMMT (I did IMMT in 2013 and Knoxville in 2014). I guess it's Challenge Knoxville now. Bike course is challenging with plenty of hills. Run course is hilly as well.
2014-10-09 11:50 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

I know a race that I think meets all of your requirements except location.

Ironman St George is a great tuneup for IMMT in terms of course, timing etc. One of my training partners has used this race as a tuneup for IMMT and IM Canada with good results.

IF you are unable to find any other options; this race stays open for a long time so at best it could be your "Fallback" option.

Travel is pretty easy: Fly to Vegas (Cheap Flights) and drive to St George. (less than a 2 hour drive)

2014-10-09 4:14 PM

I've never done any of these races, but I'm also looking for a Spring half near DC.

Some races I am considering (all in May; all with at least moderate hills):

Black Bear, http://www.cgiracing.com/blackbeartri/Home.aspx

Kinetic, http://www.setupevents.com/?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=2553

Monticelloman, http://www.charlottesvillemultisports.com/CMS/Monticelloman_Tri.htm...

2014-10-09 4:29 PM
in reply to: #5058273

User image

I had an amazing experience with black bear. It is a tough course due to hills, but a great tuneup for your hilly IM. Do it, you will be impressed!
2014-10-09 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Victoria 70.3

2014-10-10 7:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by mjp202

I've never done any of these races, but I'm also looking for a Spring half near DC.

Some races I am considering (all in May; all with at least moderate hills):

Black Bear, http://www.cgiracing.com/blackbeartri/Home.aspx

Kinetic, http://www.setupevents.com/?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=2553

Monticelloman, http://www.charlottesvillemultisports.com/CMS/Monticelloman_Tri.htm...

Kinetic may be too early in May for her requirements and isn't too hilly - I did an Olympic there last year and doing Kinetic this year

this race - http://www.whitemountainstriathlon.com/- mentions being a good lead-up to IMMT or IMLP in its description and is about 9hrs from DC

Edited by austhokie 2014-10-10 8:02 AM
2014-10-10 10:12 AM
in reply to: WaterDog66

User image

Elite

Originally posted by WaterDog66

I know a race that I think meets all of your requirements except location.

Ironman St George is a great tuneup for IMMT in terms of course, timing etc. One of my training partners has used this race as a tuneup for IMMT and IM Canada with good results.

IF you are unable to find any other options; this race stays open for a long time so at best it could be your "Fallback" option.

Travel is pretty easy: Fly to Vegas (Cheap Flights) and drive to St George. (less than a 2 hour drive)

I totally second this!  I did St. George 70.3 last May and LOVED it!  I am doing it again in 2015 for my tuneup for IM CDA.  Can't wait!

2014-10-10 12:17 PM

User image

Southern Ohio has a half ironman only option as part of the American TTT (4 stage tri) - http://www.americantriple-t.com/ls/index.htm

It's a very hilly course - though I've never done it.. it's early may; so it could be cold and might be too early for you. it's probably only 7 hrs from DC.

~Kenny
2014-10-10 6:59 PM
in reply to: r3dey3

User image

Originally posted by r3dey3

Southern Ohio has a half ironman only option as part of the American TTT (4 stage tri) - http://www.americantriple-t.com/ls/index.htm

It's a very hilly course - though I've never done it.. it's early may; so it could be cold and might be too early for you. it's probably only 7 hrs from DC.

~Kenny

i'm looking at doing the TTT in 2016 or 2017
2014-10-10 7:50 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by austhokie

Originally posted by r3dey3

~Kenny

i'm looking at doing the TTT in 2016 or 2017

Do it. You won't be sorry. One of the best race experiences that I have ever been a part of.

2014-10-12 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by meggfishy

I'm looking for recommendations for a great spring HIM that works with my schedule. I asked BT for fall HIM recommendations last year and it led me to one of my favorite races ever (Beach to Battleship), so I want to try this game again.

Requirements:

1. I'm registered for Ironman Mont-Tremblant, which is on August 16. So ideally, the HIM would be in late May, June, or early July, and would be used as a tuneup for the IM.

2. Must be within driving distance (say 10 hours) of DC. I'm already spending a ton of vacation time and money on the IM, so I'd prefer to keep my other races on the budget end and not have to fly/ship bike.

3. As it's a tuneup for a hilly IM, I'd prefer a race with a hilly bike course. (I don't want to do Eagleman, despite it being the closest option, since the course is so flat.) Any kind of run or swim course are fine.

4. With the understanding that it may not be avoidable in June/July, I don't do well in heat and humidity and would avoid races that are always notoriously hot (again, looking at you, Eagleman).

5. I don't care about Ironman brand races v. other brands. Any race company is fine.

I have a few races in mind but am curious to see what others recommend. Thanks!

IM Branded you have:

1.) Eagleman even though you wont do it
2.)Raleigh, NC end of May
3.) IMMT 70.3 in June
4.) Syracuse at the end of June- Buddy did this as tune up to IMMT and loved it

Non Branded:

1.) Rev 3 Quassy- Connecticut and hilly as a Mother F*(ker but will prepare you well. Actually probably harder then IMMT
2.) Rev 3 Williamsburg- Close to hom
3.) Challenge Atlantic City- They have a half this year and a full Aqua/Bike option if you don't feel like running. This will allow you to gauge your fitness for the swim and bike.

* All of these non branded options are in June.

I did the Challenge AC full aqua/bike last year as a tune up and it prepared me very well both mentally and physically. I wouldn't necessarily worry about hilly vs not hilly course (I could be wrong) but time in the saddle, executing race strategy and nutrition are important factors for race day success.

Happy hunting for your choice and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them
2014-10-13 12:46 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20
Originally posted by meggfishy I'm looking for recommendations for a great spring HIM that works with my schedule. I asked BT for fall HIM recommendations last year and it led me to one of my favorite races ever (Beach to Battleship), so I want to try this game again. Requirements: 1. I'm registered for Ironman Mont-Tremblant, which is on August 16. So ideally, the HIM would be in late May, June, or early July, and would be used as a tuneup for the IM. 2. Must be within driving distance (say 10 hours) of DC. I'm already spending a ton of vacation time and money on the IM, so I'd prefer to keep my other races on the budget end and not have to fly/ship bike. 3. As it's a tuneup for a hilly IM, I'd prefer a race with a hilly bike course. (I don't want to do Eagleman, despite it being the closest option, since the course is so flat.) Any kind of run or swim course are fine. 4. With the understanding that it may not be avoidable in June/July, I don't do well in heat and humidity and would avoid races that are always notoriously hot (again, looking at you, Eagleman). 5. I don't care about Ironman brand races v. other brands. Any race company is fine. I have a few races in mind but am curious to see what others recommend. Thanks!
IM Branded you have: 1.) Eagleman even though you wont do it 2.)Raleigh, NC end of May 3.) IMMT 70.3 in June 4.) Syracuse at the end of June- Buddy did this as tune up to IMMT and loved it Non Branded: 1.) Rev 3 Quassy- Connecticut and hilly as a Mother F*(ker but will prepare you well. Actually probably harder then IMMT 2.) Rev 3 Williamsburg- Close to hom 3.) Challenge Atlantic City- They have a half this year and a full Aqua/Bike option if you don't feel like running. This will allow you to gauge your fitness for the swim and bike. * All of these non branded options are in June. I did the Challenge AC full aqua/bike last year as a tune up and it prepared me very well both mentally and physically. I wouldn't necessarily worry about hilly vs not hilly course (I could be wrong) but time in the saddle, executing race strategy and nutrition are important factors for race day success. Happy hunting for your choice and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them

Quassy could be awesome - and you could do the double! Oly on Saturday, Half on Sunday. Super fun and challenging!

2014-10-14 7:46 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by simpsonbo Victoria 70.3

She said within 10 hours drive.  Not 50 hours drive.

2014-10-14 7:48 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20
Originally posted by meggfishy I'm looking for recommendations for a great spring HIM that works with my schedule. I asked BT for fall HIM recommendations last year and it led me to one of my favorite races ever (Beach to Battleship), so I want to try this game again. Requirements: 1. I'm registered for Ironman Mont-Tremblant, which is on August 16. So ideally, the HIM would be in late May, June, or early July, and would be used as a tuneup for the IM. 2. Must be within driving distance (say 10 hours) of DC. I'm already spending a ton of vacation time and money on the IM, so I'd prefer to keep my other races on the budget end and not have to fly/ship bike. 3. As it's a tuneup for a hilly IM, I'd prefer a race with a hilly bike course. (I don't want to do Eagleman, despite it being the closest option, since the course is so flat.) Any kind of run or swim course are fine. 4. With the understanding that it may not be avoidable in June/July, I don't do well in heat and humidity and would avoid races that are always notoriously hot (again, looking at you, Eagleman). 5. I don't care about Ironman brand races v. other brands. Any race company is fine. I have a few races in mind but am curious to see what others recommend. Thanks!
IM Branded you have: 1.) Eagleman even though you wont do it 2.)Raleigh, NC end of May 3.) IMMT 70.3 in June 4.) Syracuse at the end of June- Buddy did this as tune up to IMMT and loved it Non Branded: 1.) Rev 3 Quassy- Connecticut and hilly as a Mother F*(ker but will prepare you well. Actually probably harder then IMMT 2.) Rev 3 Williamsburg- Close to hom 3.) Challenge Atlantic City- They have a half this year and a full Aqua/Bike option if you don't feel like running. This will allow you to gauge your fitness for the swim and bike. * All of these non branded options are in June. I did the Challenge AC full aqua/bike last year as a tune up and it prepared me very well both mentally and physically. I wouldn't necessarily worry about hilly vs not hilly course (I could be wrong) but time in the saddle, executing race strategy and nutrition are important factors for race day success. Happy hunting for your choice and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them

MT 70.3 is sold out so that's not an option for her.  Raleigh and Syracuse for branded races are the only races that fit what she's looking for. 

2014-10-14 8:10 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

MT 70.3 is sold out so that's not an option for her.  Raleigh and Syracuse for branded races are the only races that fit what she's looking for. 

Maybe also Muskoka. They moved it to the end of June I believe
I googled mapped and it said 10h22.

But I think Syracuse is a nice prep for MT. Similar swim, similar bike, bit tougher run.

2014-10-14 8:21 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I've done 'Cuse 2x and will be back again in 2015.

2014-10-14 10:28 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Extreme Veteran
We actually both did it in 2010

I think you did it last year ? I did it this year and while I prefer MT and Muskoka

The course is a good practice for MT, but Syracuse isn't a great destination race. At least Muskoka is a bit of a resort
2014-10-14 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by marcag We actually both did it in 2010 I think you did it last year ? I did it this year and while I prefer MT and Muskoka The course is a good practice for MT, but Syracuse isn't a great destination race. At least Muskoka is a bit of a resort

Did it in 2010 and 2012.  Spectated in 2013 (brother and sister raced).  I grew up in Syracuse so I get back to do the race whenever I can to visit with family and all that.  Syracuse is definitely not a destination location but the area where the race is located (Jamesville) is very nice.  Nice swim, challenging bike course (especially the first half), and a brutal run course.

2014-10-14 10:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

New 70.3 coming to St. Louis next year is the word I have. (about 10-12 hour drive)....likely 1st or 2nd weekend in June.  Not officially announced yet.  Heat/humidity won't be unbearable then, I haven't seen the course but know the area and they could get some decent hills as the venue will be in a flood plain with some decent climbs out of it,  likely won't be a wetsuit legal swim.  Very close/reasonable hotels.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-14 10:54 AM
2014-10-14 11:07 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

New 70.3 coming to St. Louis next year is the word I have. (about 10-12 hour drive)....likely 1st or 2nd weekend in June.  Not officially announced yet.  Heat/humidity won't be unbearable then, I haven't seen the course but know the area and they could get some decent hills as the venue will be in a flood plain with some decent climbs out of it,  likely won't be a wetsuit legal swim.  Very close/reasonable hotels.

ohhh I could be persuaded into looking at that one - lol

2014-10-14 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by marcag We actually both did it in 2010 I think you did it last year ? I did it this year and while I prefer MT and Muskoka The course is a good practice for MT, but Syracuse isn't a great destination race. At least Muskoka is a bit of a resort

AND! At least for me and my hubby, we felt like IMMT bike course was pretty manageable after several years of training (and doing) the Muskoka course (i've done it once, he's done if 4x, but for some reason we've gone up there to train a number of times!). hahaha!

Lots of resorts and accommodations options in the area. It's really best to stay right at Deerhurst but the options abound! 

2014-10-14 2:29 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Pennsylvania

Challenge AC (Atlantic City) just added a half distance for next year.  June 28, 2015.

2014-10-17 10:13 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Thanks, y'all, for the many suggestions!

St. George and some of the other far-away options look cool, but my husband doesn't have that much vacation time -- we're taking a full week for IMMT and a week for a family vacation, so we need to keep other races to like, a 3-day weekend. I'd also like to do the entire American Triple T at some point, so I don't want to do that HIM yet.

I think I've narrowed it to:

1. Challenge Quassy (Oly + HIM) -- 11 weeks from IM

2. IM Raleigh -- 11 weeks from IM

3. Black Bear -- 11 weeks from IM

4. IM Syracuse -- 8 weeks from IM

I would also consider Kinetic or Challenge Williamsburg based on proximity to me. But Kinetic is earlier and flatter than I'm looking for (might do the sprint again for fun), and I raced Williamsburg in its first year and it was a horrible race.

IM vets: would 11 weeks out or 8 weeks out be better? Does it matter?
2014-10-17 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I don't think 8 or 11 makes much of a difference.

I don't know anything about the Black Bear race but Raleigh is going to be "less" like Tremblant than 'Cuse or Quassy.  It's flatter and I think it's been a non-wetsuit swim each year.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pick my spring HIM Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Spring has finally sprung: Paris-Nice

Started by Oldteen
Views: 905 Posts: 6

2011-03-06 8:20 PM O2BFast

Does anyone live palm springs/desert springs way?

Started by kellc09
Views: 940 Posts: 5

2008-03-04 5:14 PM ChrisM

picked my event

Started by wrybosome
Views: 1179 Posts: 6

2004-03-29 9:58 PM wrybosome

How do I pick a frame size?

Started by whatiwillbe
Views: 768 Posts: 5

2004-02-05 3:22 PM Sirvelo

Help me pick a trainging program- PLEASE

Started by whatiwillbe
Views: 1235 Posts: 10

2004-02-05 8:45 PM ford5683
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.