General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2015-10-12 7:52 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread
Congrats Everyone!

@Jillian_O - Awesome job under 13:30!!

2015-10-13 5:40 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Lisa, So sorry about your crash. I hope that you mend well and get back after it soon.
2015-10-13 6:24 AM
in reply to: rsmoylan

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by rsmoylan Lisa, So sorry about your crash. I hope that you mend well and get back after it soon.

I'm with Scott here.  I hope the mending goes well and you can get back on the horse again soon.

What about everyone else?  How is the recovery going?  I am still pretty sore, far more sore than last year but it's to be expected this year.  I was looking to bury myself this past weekend and it would seem I was successful.  Walking is marginally good at this point, going upstairs isn't bad but downstairs is, well, disturbing to me.  I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow night to clear my legs a little more but that's probably the soonest I'll be able to get anything active going, which I know is contributing to my slower than I would like recovery.  I want badly to spin my legs out but I won't have time today.  Our daughters 20th birthday is today, so we're going to be doing dinner out tonight and I'm back to work already.

Side question:  Scott, did you end up in Medical post race?  If so I may have been the one lying next to you, which was a terrible way to meet.

2015-10-13 6:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Originally posted by rsmoylan

Lisa, So sorry about your crash. I hope that you mend well and get back after it soon.

Get well soon!
2015-10-13 8:20 AM

User image

Regular

Absolutely! I was so bummed to read that. Lisa has been one of the most informative, nicest and helpful people, both here at BT and on ST, for as long as I've been on those sites. Heal completely and quickly, and I know we'll see you back out there.

I was also sorry I couldn't get to the Saturday morning meetup to meet some of y'all. I enjoyed this race group.
2015-10-13 9:01 AM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by mbwallis

Absolutely! I was so bummed to read that. Lisa has been one of the most informative, nicest and helpful people, both here at BT and on ST, for as long as I've been on those sites. Heal completely and quickly, and I know we'll see you back out there.

I was also sorry I couldn't get to the Saturday morning meetup to meet some of y'all. I enjoyed this race group.

sorry about the race, Lisa! heal up! how long does an ankle injury take to heal? did your bike survive?

my buddy also suffered a crash. apparantly, someone swerved right into him as he was making a pass. he was able to limp through the run and finish, but his bike, helmet, and body all suffered from that encounter.

btw, the hills and wind really beat me up on the bike. way harder than i thought they'd be. the swim and run were great, though.

2015-10-13 11:09 AM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Regular
Ronnie, you seemed to have a decent day. You, me and Scott were all quite close in M40-44.

Driving the bike course before the race had me revisiting my predictions! But I stuck to my power target (actually, the lower range of it, finishing at 70.6% of FTP, TSS=268) and it set me up for a good run. It's a nice bike course - tough but fair. Outside of River Rd, the roads are just awesome. It's gonna make the Texas chipseal hard to come back to. I ended up swapping out to an 11-28 cassette, and was glad I did. I spun up a number of those hills in the 28.

I fought a queasy stomach for the entire run, but I managed to fight through it until the end. I ended up happy with my time (especially my run), especially given the M40-44 times were quite slower than we had guessed they'd be.

The city really seems to embrace the race, and the support and volunteers were excellent. It's a very nice race.

Brett
Bib #318
2015-10-13 3:25 PM

User image

Congrats on your IMLou journeys! I have been reading over all your insights to begin to prepare for my journey in 2016.

Specifically for SEADOCHA or others from the general Cleveland, Ohio area, I would love to know if there are places that you rode that are comparable to what you experienced in the race? I want to be sure I am well prepared for the bike.

Or, if anyone rode parts of the actual course as part of an organized event, that would be helpful too.

I've done the distance before but it was IMFL so the course was vastly different.

Thanks!
2015-10-13 6:41 PM
in reply to: deboerkj

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Originally posted by deboerkj

Congrats Everyone!

@Jillian_O - Awesome job under 13:30!!

Thank you! I had a great day and experienced some race day magic! A 50 minute PR

I was crushed when I found out Lisa crashed on the bike course, when we went to Starbucks on Saturday morning she was so pumped up about the race. Get well soon Lisa!
2015-10-13 7:25 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Originally posted by DirkP

Originally posted by rsmoylan Lisa, So sorry about your crash. I hope that you mend well and get back after it soon.

I'm with Scott here.  I hope the mending goes well and you can get back on the horse again soon.

What about everyone else?  How is the recovery going?  I am still pretty sore, far more sore than last year but it's to be expected this year.  I was looking to bury myself this past weekend and it would seem I was successful.  Walking is marginally good at this point, going upstairs isn't bad but downstairs is, well, disturbing to me.  I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow night to clear my legs a little more but that's probably the soonest I'll be able to get anything active going, which I know is contributing to my slower than I would like recovery.  I want badly to spin my legs out but I won't have time today.  Our daughters 20th birthday is today, so we're going to be doing dinner out tonight and I'm back to work already.

Side question:  Scott, did you end up in Medical post race?  If so I may have been the one lying next to you, which was a terrible way to meet.

Indeed that was me. I was most certainly not at my best right there. Felt like I was going to die for a large portion of that evening after I left. Then I ate pizza, and a half jar of PB and maple syrup. I felt much better after that. How are you feeling?
2015-10-13 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by DirkP

Indeed that was me. I was most certainly not at my best right there. Felt like I was going to die for a large portion of that evening after I left. Then I ate pizza, and a half jar of PB and maple syrup. I felt much better after that. How are you feeling?

I'm feeling much better now.  

When I finished the race I had to be supported all the way to Medical because I couldn't stand up.  They offered a wheelchair but I declined.  I told them I wanted them to have it for someone who really needed it.  Then we proceeded to get my pic taken which when they let go of me I nearly fell over causing the catchers to make a dash for me again.  I was in pretty bad shape.  I have never been in such poor shape in the immediate aftermath of a race.

Before you came into Medical I was shaking violently.  I was so dehydrated (speculating) or worse, if my wife is correct (she's a nurse), that my body temp would not even register on the thermometer.  I asked the nurse a few times what my temp was and she stated "low."  I asked again and she said "low" again.  I asked a third time why it didn't register a temp and she said "because it's so low it won't register.  The thermo reads 'low' because your temp isn't high enough to read."  After another reading she told me it was 94.6 (not a typo) and I was still shaking enough that I couldn't hold any broth without spilling it.  I suffered from cramps all throughout my body and couldn't lie still because different parts of my body would begin to knot up.  By the time you came in things had begun to get better and I was just trying to get warm.

I had a really good time staying lighthearted with the medical staff.  I think they all enjoyed my "visit" to them. We spent a fair amount of time joking around.

2015-10-14 12:49 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Regular
My friend went to medical for a foot problem immediately after the race. They ended up taking his temperature, and it was under 96.

I didn't go to medical, but went up to my room at the Hyatt, showered, and then dealt with nearly uncontrollable shivering for about 10-15 minutes. I put on my warmest clothes and got under all bed covers until it subsided. But I was ok after that. I'm glad you are as well.
2015-10-14 4:33 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

Ronnie, you seemed to have a decent day. You, me and Scott were all quite close in M40-44.

Driving the bike course before the race had me revisiting my predictions! But I stuck to my power target (actually, the lower range of it, finishing at 70.6% of FTP, TSS=268) and it set me up for a good run. It's a nice bike course - tough but fair. Outside of River Rd, the roads are just awesome. It's gonna make the Texas chipseal hard to come back to. I ended up swapping out to an 11-28 cassette, and was glad I did. I spun up a number of those hills in the 28.

I fought a queasy stomach for the entire run, but I managed to fight through it until the end. I ended up happy with my time (especially my run), especially given the M40-44 times were quite slower than we had guessed they'd be.

The city really seems to embrace the race, and the support and volunteers were excellent. It's a very nice race.

Brett
Bib #318

Dang, We were all pretty close. Ronnie, you beat me by about a minute. We shall all have to have a rematch some day. I too had an 11-28 and found the hills very manageable. In fact, I found the bike course to be "easy-ish" compared to what i ride in here in VT.

2015-10-14 11:13 PM

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Hey everyone. I wanted to thank everyone on this thread throughout the journey. This was my first IM and only having done a sprint and a few olympics I went head first into the full. I somewhat knew what to expect from some friends that did Louisville before but had no idea truly what I was getting myself into. I set my goal just to finish and be somewhere between 15-16 hours and I am happy to report that I crushed my goal and finished my first ever IM in 14:04. I am still trying to process everything but I am happy to report that outside from a dropped chain with about 40 miles left on the bike, only having my big chain available for the last bit of the ride, and my stomach being so full for the marathon that I could barely eat or drink anything that everything went pretty well. Got out of the swim in 1:08, through the bike in 6:48, and struggled through the run for 5:44. The run was good for the first 10 miles but fell off after that. After a good swim and bike (by my standards) the run didn't have to be my best. The furthest I have ever ran before was 16 miles and my goal was 5:30 for the marathon and even though I didn't hit that goal I still feel proud of myself for sticking through it and running as much as I could on the second lap.

I had no idea what to expect going in and I learned a lot about myself through the training and race itself and now I know I can push myself a lot farther than I ever could have imagined. I didn't post much on the boards here but was reading almost every day and all the tips and talk helped me prepare for this in some fashion so thanks to everyone.

I don't know what the future holds for me in terms of 140.6 events but I do know that nobody can ever take this one away from me and it is the best feeling in the world.

Also for everyone else that took on the challenge I have to say congrats! What a time to be alive!

-Cory
2015-10-15 9:57 AM

User image

Elite

Brett
Bib #318

Dang, We were all pretty close. Ronnie, you beat me by about a minute. We shall all have to have a rematch some day. I too had an 11-28 and found the hills very manageable. In fact, I found the bike course to be "easy-ish" compared to what i ride in here in VT.

Congrats on your race, guys!

Yeah, it seems like we were all close. I was off my predicted finish time by 15 minutes, but it was all the bike. The bike beat me up BAD, but it was a combo of the hills, the wind, and cyclists not knowing how to ride a bike that really got to me. I got swerved into SO MANY TIMES that I never got into a comfortable groove. The out and back was just plain scary to me. There was little to no regard for safety. My buddy, while passing someone, yelled "On your left" and the lady swerved right into him and took him (and her) out! He ended up walking the marathon due to injuries.

I had a few mishaps, but nothing too bad. My nutrition froze up and I couldn't get to it for at least two hours. I ended going to emergency nutrition (gels, which I hate) for that time. By the time I got to my UCAN, I felt under nourished. Also, my aero bottle broke off on the rough roads back to town. Ha! Ironman will throw curves at you all day long.

Rematch? Not in 2016, unless it's in a HIM! :P
2015-10-15 12:39 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Just now re-visiting this thread - thank you all for the kind words. I will be in a boot with zero weight bearing on my left leg for at least 6 weeks. I broke my fibula at the ankle so basically a broken ankle. I think the bike is okay, I actually rode it to find medical help and it was then I realized I was seriously hurt - I couldn't clip into the left pedal whatsoever. I'll need to have the bike inspected but it will be next year before I get around to that.

I met lots of injured athletes in the hospital. There was a 4-person wreck past mine on 1693, there was a gal who got t-boned by a CAR (saw her coming in and I had to look away), and a gal who got bowled over by another athlete at an aid station. More stories on the Facebook page (someone with a broken wrist, clavicle and jaw), they are all heartbreaking. This is my first wreck in 9 years of racing so I guess my number was up.

BUT! I am so glad you all had great days! Congrats to everyone who made it to the finish line and especially those who met goals and PR'd. I was on 3rd street for awhile cheering you all on, and then at the finish line for just long enough to see my friend Linda finish. I probably won't be back on the Louisville course again, but have been thinking about one last IM maybe in 2017. I would hate to end my IM career with this type of DNF. More to come on that

2015-10-15 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I'm very sorry that happened Lisa. totally sucks.
I hope your healing is quick !

We had a guy from our training group crash at IM LOU at mile 30 into a guard rail, apparently cut off by a car. (not this year).
destroyed his bike. It was his first IM, so naturally a blow to him, although he's back at it now and hoping to do another.
2015-10-16 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Originally posted by lisac957

Just now re-visiting this thread - thank you all for the kind words. I will be in a boot with zero weight bearing on my left leg for at least 6 weeks. I broke my fibula at the ankle so basically a broken ankle. I think the bike is okay, I actually rode it to find medical help and it was then I realized I was seriously hurt - I couldn't clip into the left pedal whatsoever. I'll need to have the bike inspected but it will be next year before I get around to that.

I met lots of injured athletes in the hospital. There was a 4-person wreck past mine on 1693, there was a gal who got t-boned by a CAR (saw her coming in and I had to look away), and a gal who got bowled over by another athlete at an aid station. More stories on the Facebook page (someone with a broken wrist, clavicle and jaw), they are all heartbreaking. This is my first wreck in 9 years of racing so I guess my number was up.

BUT! I am so glad you all had great days! Congrats to everyone who made it to the finish line and especially those who met goals and PR'd. I was on 3rd street for awhile cheering you all on, and then at the finish line for just long enough to see my friend Linda finish. I probably won't be back on the Louisville course again, but have been thinking about one last IM maybe in 2017. I would hate to end my IM career with this type of DNF. More to come on that

Read your race report... I guess the silver (brown) lining is that I'm glad you were able to hit the porta-potty before the wreck. That could have made the wreck a little more messy :p
2015-10-16 9:42 AM
in reply to: deboerkj

User image

I signed up for 2016!
2015-10-16 1:49 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Elite
Originally posted by DeVinci13

I signed up for 2016!

congrats! as you can see from most of our experiences, it was a really good race...challenging, as far as ironmans go, but good.

enjoy the training leading up to the event, but pace yourself! lots of athletes get burnt out on training months before the race! don't do that.
2015-10-19 8:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Brett
Bib #318

This post is directed mainly to moylan and wallis, but anyone feel free to chime in...

A little over week after the race and I was looking at the results, thinking that the predictions we made about needing a sub 9:45 to barely KQ (in M40-44) were off. In fact, 2014 results for the top 5 were faster, regardless of the heat, which to me is surprising. It looks as though the wind and cold can cost you as much as a hot day.

Even the run, which you'd expect to be slower during a hot IM, seemed to be faster (for KQ contenders in our AG) last year....That being said, overall analysis of IMLou, conducted by a UK coach, determined the bike was slower and the run faster: http://www.coachcox.co.uk/2015/10/12/ironman-louisville-2015-result...

If you would have told me you had a chance to KQ in M40-44 with a 10:05 or better, I would have said you were crazy.

Edited by d00d 2015-10-19 8:48 AM

2015-10-19 10:59 AM

User image

Regular
Ronnie,

I agree completely and cannot figure it out. But I have come to the personal conclusion that there were simply fewer faster guys there this year. That weather was damn near perfect. Sure there was a headwind the last ~30 miles of the bike, but it wasn't horrible and anyway that part is net downhill. There wasn't much current but at least we had wetsuits, and I still swam a big PR. A FOP friend who did it the year before swam 3 mins slower this year, so that by itself doesn't explain it. A bike and run in those temps (compared to what they dealt with in the August years) has to be faster.

It just goes to show you cannot compare one year to the next, and luck will always play a role. There's no way I could have found the 17 minutes needed to KQ, but am shocked that a 10:03 would have done it.

I would say I'm thankful I'm aging up to M45-49 next year, but then I noticed my ranking would not have been much better at Louisville in that AG. I'm tired of fast people following me! Anyway, I'm signed up for Chattanooga 2016, and will see.

Brett
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 16

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 56172 Posts: 370

2013-12-14 11:11 AM Cajuntriguy

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by vasqlartek
Views: 104872 Posts: 1070

2012-09-06 6:49 AM 7ofClubs

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by sdanaher
Views: 227987 Posts: 2778

2011-11-01 2:10 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by dlink
Views: 164802 Posts: 1740

2010-11-07 9:12 AM kdlsch111

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173122 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.

date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: