General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2015-09-10 8:41 AM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread
Originally posted by d00d

Originally posted by rsmoylan

Originally posted by mbwallis

Also, I counted 447 in M40-44.

Do you have any idea how many kona slots that might mean for the AG? Or is that something we won't find out until we get there?

Most of the time I don't believe you'd know until the actual awards ceremony, although somebody more familiar with WTC's formula might know. IMLOU has 50 slots, and I believe M40-44 will typically get 5 at such a race, certainly no more than 6.

Won't find out until awards...yes, lots of guys in our AG. I think you're going to need min of sub 9:50 to have a chance.

I was thinking sub 10 was going to be needed as well.

A friend of mine (KQer) thinks that it'll take a faster time than what I've stated b/c of the weather and the fact that a bunch of KQ hopefuls will be there. I was hoping all the really fast folks would be AT Kona...

That was my thinking as well. I feel really close. I need to have a great day and all the stars align. We shall see. How hopeful/close do you think you are? Or if anyone else wants to chime in on KQ'ing that would be great.

2015-09-10 10:13 AM

User image

Regular
I agree with d00d, I think it'll take sub 9:50, and probably 9:45.

Last year, the top 6 in M40-44 all beat 10:01, with the top 3 going sub 9:35. This year it'll be wetsuit legal and likely 30+ degrees cooler.
2015-09-13 5:45 AM
in reply to: rsmoylan

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by mbwallis Also, I counted 447 in M40-44.
Do you have any idea how many kona slots that might mean for the AG? Or is that something we won't find out until we get there?
Most of the time I don't believe you'd know until the actual awards ceremony, although somebody more familiar with WTC's formula might know. IMLOU has 50 slots, and I believe M40-44 will typically get 5 at such a race, certainly no more than 6.
Won't find out until awards...yes, lots of guys in our AG. I think you're going to need min of sub 9:50 to have a chance.
A friend of mine (KQer) thinks that it'll take a faster time than what I've stated b/c of the weather and the fact that a bunch of KQ hopefuls will be there. I was hoping all the really fast folks would be AT Kona...
That was my thinking as well. I feel really close. I need to have a great day and all the stars align. We shall see. How hopeful/close do you think you are? Or if anyone else wants to chime in on KQ'ing that would be great.

I am making somewhat of an attempt to KQ myself but I'm a much older man than the 40-44.  I'm in the 45-49.  I really don't look at times from last year because this years weather could make a profound difference.  I also try not to get too wrapped up in what could happen depending on who shows up because there is enough to attempt to control on race day to have to worry about that.

I will say there are a lot of people that are expecting me to KQ (friends, family) based on a few numbers from races and training paces.  Again, most of them are looking at times from August races when the temps were not fast friendly.  I'll take the day as it comes and hope to catch a roll down if anything, although RD's may not be in order if many of the people are hoping to catch a KQ have signed up with the expectation of many of the faster people being in Kona the day before.

2015-09-14 10:50 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

One more "big" week, everyone! How are you holding up??
I had a GREAT weekend, riding 100 miles + 30 min brick run Saturday, then ran 16 miles yesterday. Feeling strong and ready - and I hope all of you are, too!

2015-09-14 12:02 PM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Well I thought everything was going well until I rode" the loop" and " the stick" on the IM Louisville course yesterday. I have a lot to learn about shifting and appropriate climbing and descending. Very few hills in my neck of the woods. Rode with my husband who gave me some advice on technique. Feeling very intimidated and overwhelmed. I really need to work on hills in the next couple of weeks before taper. Nutrition is also a worry. I was so distracted by shifting and climbing and descending constantly, I kept forgetting to take in nutrition. I just felt there was never a good opportunity to eat. I got to find a way to do this or it will by my undoing. Argh!!! Other than that my run and swim are good, lol.

Edited by cggale 2015-09-14 12:03 PM
2015-09-14 2:33 PM
in reply to: cggale

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by cggale Well I thought everything was going well until I rode" the loop" and " the stick" on the IM Louisville course yesterday. I have a lot to learn about shifting and appropriate climbing and descending. Very few hills in my neck of the woods. Rode with my husband who gave me some advice on technique. Feeling very intimidated and overwhelmed. I really need to work on hills in the next couple of weeks before taper. Nutrition is also a worry. I was so distracted by shifting and climbing and descending constantly, I kept forgetting to take in nutrition. I just felt there was never a good opportunity to eat. I got to find a way to do this or it will by my undoing. Argh!!! Other than that my run and swim are good, lol.

Something I do for nutrition is set a reminder on my watch to beep on an increment - whenever I hear the beep, I eat! No negotiating.
I use Infinit so it's a big swig every 15 minutes, chased by water. But you could do it as a reminder for whatever nutrition you are using.

2015-09-14 2:47 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by DirkP

Originally posted by mbwallis Also, I counted 447 in M40-44.

I am making somewhat of an attempt to KQ myself but I'm a much older man than the 40-44.  I'm in the 45-49.  I really don't look at times from last year because this years weather could make a profound difference.  I also try not to get too wrapped up in what could happen depending on who shows up because there is enough to attempt to control on race day to have to worry about that.

I will say there are a lot of people that are expecting me to KQ (friends, family) based on a few numbers from races and training paces.  Again, most of them are looking at times from August races when the temps were not fast friendly.  I'll take the day as it comes and hope to catch a roll down if anything, although RD's may not be in order if many of the people are hoping to catch a KQ have signed up with the expectation of many of the faster people being in Kona the day before.

Good luck at your KQ attempt! I hope it works out for you, but be prepared to duke it out with many other guys in your AG whom have similar aspirations! Just remember to race your race, and that the last 6 miles of the marathon is where you can seriously make your money. Get there strong and you're going to be passing ppl left and right!

I have an outside chance at qual'ing, but it's going to take a nearly perfect day to do so. Those kinds of days are hard to come by in an IM.

Originally posted by lisac957

I had a GREAT weekend, riding 100 miles + 30 min brick run Saturday, then ran 16 miles yesterday. Feeling strong and ready - and I hope all of you are, too!

I just raced a HIM and am happy with the result. I feel on track and ready to race, although a little beat up today.

Your training looks great, Lisa! Very consistent! It's time to get ready to taper soon!

Originally posted by cggale

Well I thought everything was going well until I rode" the loop" and " the stick" on the IM Louisville course yesterday. I have a lot to learn about shifting and appropriate climbing and descending. Very few hills in my neck of the woods. Rode with my husband who gave me some advice on technique. Feeling very intimidated and overwhelmed. I really need to work on hills in the next couple of weeks before taper. Nutrition is also a worry. I was so distracted by shifting and climbing and descending constantly, I kept forgetting to take in nutrition. I just felt there was never a good opportunity to eat. I got to find a way to do this or it will by my undoing. Argh!!! Other than that my run and swim are good, lol.

The hills at IMKY can be intimidating, but now they're not a surprise. That's good. A lot of ppl won't see the course until they drive it the day before or until they're riding it the day of the race. If you can, find a route with some hills and just try to get used to being comfortable shifting and taking in nutrition. If you're using a GPS device, on most of them you can set alarms that will remind you to do something (nutrition, hydration, etc.).

Good luck with the rest of your training!
2015-09-14 2:54 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Regular

On Sat I rode 111 at IM power, then ran 3.5 at a good pace. On Sun I ran 18.5 then did a 60 min recovery spin. Good weekend except for nasty left knee pain on the Saturday ride, which I am still feeling. I've been cycling for 20 years and have never had any pain, so I'm a bit dumbfounded. I did get a new bike (with a Retul fitting) back in March, but have had no problems at all this year.

I'm contemplating another fitting (at a different place), but will probably give it one more week to see how it goes.
2015-09-14 3:00 PM

User image

New user

Springboro, Ohio
Gold member
I've heard some rumblings about an algae issue at the boat dock area. Any locals have any intel on this? Just wondering if it is of any concern for race day.
2015-09-14 3:04 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Thanks guys! That's a good idea about setting an alarm on my watch. I am glad that I got to at least see the course. I will go into the bike knowing what to expect. No surprises. There are a couple of parks where I live that have some hills. So no excuses not to do them. Pitty party over. Let's do this!
2015-09-14 3:30 PM
in reply to: rwekin

User image

Regular
Originally posted by rwekin

I've heard some rumblings about an algae issue at the boat dock area. Any locals have any intel on this? Just wondering if it is of any concern for race day.

There are pics of it on the facebook page. It looks bad now, but people say it'll wash away.

2015-09-14 4:30 PM

Loving this training for IMLOU (my 1st IM), I couldn't resist so signed up for IM Wisconsin this morning. Who else took the bait?
2015-09-14 6:49 PM

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Getting down to crunch time. I took a (much needed) recovery week last week. The week before I got in 102 miles on a pretty hilly route and have been around 13-14 miles on my long runs. This week will be my final big week. Hoping to get a 15 mile run in on Thursday and then between 90-100 miles on Saturday. This is my first IM so I feel like I am flying by the seat of my pants and worrying that I haven't done enough but I am pretty much at the point of no return so I gotta try not to worry about it (I'm going to worry about it)
2015-09-15 7:13 AM
in reply to: rwekin

User image

Elite
Originally posted by rwekin

I'm not sure on how this algae reacts to cooler weather, but I'm guessing it'll die down a bit as the weather cools...and cool it will. It was 51 this morning in NC. Brrr.
2015-09-15 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
I did almost the same workouts...got 96 mile bike in with a 60 minute run and then on Sunday got an 18 miler in. I am feeling WAY more confident for the race after this weekend. The volume has not been what I wanted but I had some really good workouts and my nutrition has been spot on. Some one on the Facebook page posted a few weeks back about eating red potatoes on the bike and I have tried it on my last 3 long rides and like it alot. I just heat them up an put in a baggy with small amount of olive oil and sea salt and they taste like a million bucks after 3 hours of Infinit grape haha.

2015-09-15 10:02 AM
in reply to: cggale

User image

Expert
Do you have a cadence sensor on your bike? That is a great and simple way to help gauge your shifting. Find your comfortable cadence (usually around 80-85 RPM) and maybe even set a cadence alarm on your watch. After a while you will just get the feel of it and will just sense when your cadence slows and need to shift. You still have a couple weeks to work on it. That is good that you at least got out rode the course.

Originally posted by cggale

2015-09-15 12:11 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by tmoran80 I did almost the same workouts...got 96 mile bike in with a 60 minute run and then on Sunday got an 18 miler in. I am feeling WAY more confident for the race after this weekend. The volume has not been what I wanted but I had some really good workouts and my nutrition has been spot on. Some one on the Facebook page posted a few weeks back about eating red potatoes on the bike and I have tried it on my last 3 long rides and like it alot. I just heat them up an put in a baggy with small amount of olive oil and sea salt and they taste like a million bucks after 3 hours of Infinit grape haha.

I think the potatoes are a great idea! I just can't imagine riding 112 miles with a baggie full of potatoes in my pocket though 
Is that what you're doing on race day?

2015-09-15 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
The nice thing about the Infinit system is that I have scrapped all my gels and endurolytes so I have a nice empty bento bag looking for something to hold. I have been microwaving them (to simulate hotel morning) and then I cut two of them up and separate into two bags and they fit nice into my bento bag. Speaking of which I just remembered while typing this I need to throw the old bags out from this weekend that are in there when I get home haha.

Originally posted by tmoran80 I did almost the same workouts...got 96 mile bike in with a 60 minute run and then on Sunday got an 18 miler in. I am feeling WAY more confident for the race after this weekend. The volume has not been what I wanted but I had some really good workouts and my nutrition has been spot on. Some one on the Facebook page posted a few weeks back about eating red potatoes on the bike and I have tried it on my last 3 long rides and like it alot. I just heat them up an put in a baggy with small amount of olive oil and sea salt and they taste like a million bucks after 3 hours of Infinit grape haha.

I think the potatoes are a great idea! I just can't imagine riding 112 miles with a baggie full of potatoes in my pocket though 
Is that what you're doing on race day?

2015-09-15 1:47 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Regular
Akron
Can't decide if I should bike long on Friday and long run the next day or vice versa. I know there is a ton of debate about this. Any thoughts?
2015-09-15 3:45 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Expert
I usually go by what my schedule allows and where I have more time for the bike ride. With that being said, if I had a choice I would probably do the bike first so you are doing the run on tired legs to simulate race situation.

Originally posted by SEADOCHA

Can't decide if I should bike long on Friday and long run the next day or vice versa. I know there is a ton of debate about this. Any thoughts?
2015-09-16 8:44 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by SEADOCHA Can't decide if I should bike long on Friday and long run the next day or vice versa. I know there is a ton of debate about this. Any thoughts?

I've done it both ways, just to switch it up a bit. I do prefer to run on "tired" legs as that will certainly be the case on race day. But if I'm perfectly honest, I schedule my riding days pretty much solely around the weather forecast, primarily the wind speeds. 

2015-09-16 10:18 AM

User image

Elite

I don't run long the day after a long bike...I like to run on "fresh" legs to get the best out of the run and stave off injuries that could occur from running on tired legs. That being said, at this stage, I'm running on tired legs all the time anyways.
2015-09-16 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

Do your long ride first. I have been taught and also through experience that I can run on tired legs and still get a good run in. But if I run long then try to bike long, things get a little ugly. I don't get a great bike workout. Good luck with the decision.
2015-09-16 5:12 PM
in reply to: rsmoylan

User image

Expert
Someone posted this complete bike course video on the Ironman Louisville Facebook page. Complete with distance, elevation and map location on the screen! This will work great for my 3 hour trainer ride early Saturday morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoYt3BGnzIU
2015-09-17 6:29 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I'm riding the course this weekend and running off the bike 60 minutes before heading back home on Sunday morning.  I'll have another full week of focused work after this week yet but the end is in sight.  I'm not sure who's going to be more happy for the taper, me or my wife.  she's kind of tired of my work hours and training hours.  for the past 9 weeks I have been dedicating 65-70 hours a week to working or training so I'm looking forward to the end of it all for a couple of months.

On a different topic, what is everyone hearing about the local folks and the frustration of people riding the course all the time?  I heard on Tuesday that people are really frustrated and not giving cyclists any room on the roads.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 16

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 56484 Posts: 370

2013-12-14 11:11 AM Cajuntriguy

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by vasqlartek
Views: 105174 Posts: 1070

2012-09-06 6:49 AM 7ofClubs

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by sdanaher
Views: 228343 Posts: 2778

2011-11-01 2:10 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by dlink
Views: 165078 Posts: 1740

2010-11-07 9:12 AM kdlsch111

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173488 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.

date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: