General Discussion Triathlon Talk » winter running clothing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-11-20 2:47 PM

User image

Los Angeles, California
Subject: winter running clothing
would you run in cold (say 10-30F) weather and if so what would you wear (top to bottom)? I'm thinking maybe try running up mt. Whitney this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows good options for cold weather running clothing

2014-11-20 3:04 PM
in reply to: woosh

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: winter running clothing
I love the Under Armour Cold gear. I use the tights when it gets below 30 for running and use them on my winter rides most of the time.

Otherwise it is just layers. Base layer, mid layer, jacket or something windproof/waterproof.

Don't forget good gloves/mittens, something for your head and wool socks (even 2 pair)
2014-11-20 3:16 PM
in reply to: 0

I definitely run in those temperatures. Temperature does not say everything, you also have to factor the wind and the rain. Snow is a bonus in my opinion.

You get the feel of what to wear as you try but some ideas:

Sweat is what kills you, when you get wet it becomes very hard to stay hot. As such you want not to overdress. Be a little cold as you start and comfortable as you run.
The only thing I know which stays warm as it becomes wet is wool. This is why wool socks and underwear as so popular. If you overdress and become wet then the wool will help.
For the same first reasons, try to wear clothes which let the humidity evaporate. When it is calm wear a polar, when it is windy a fabric which blocks wind but not the humidity. (you may end up with a layer of frost outside your clothes. This means the vapor are getting out and freezing outside)
I find the worst conditions to be near 0c (32F) and rainy. In those cases wear something rain proof or stay home.
As I said, snow has no impact. Snowy days are often the less windy and more comfortable. Snows isolates heat while water conducts it. So snow on you means no difference, it will not melt nor affect you in any way.

If you can afford some wool, I say start with a pair of wool socks. This is where you will feel the cold the fastest if you get wet. Some shoes are water proof, more stables and have more grip. Personally I find running in snow softer then running on asphalt, as long as there is no ice below it...

Maybe a little hat and mitts...

For the detail, it is much cooler here then in California so I assume I am more used to those temperatures. Not trying to be cocky by this statement but you may need more, comfort is a very personal thing . Typically around 10F I wear a wool underwear (merino) under a polar, isolated pants destined to run and wool socks. Around 30F, I might only wear a merino underwear and a non isolated shirt or a polar but not both. Don't overdo it. In doubt, better to be warmer then colder. Do your observation and adjust for the next run.

If you run far from home, bring some spare clothes and get in dry clothes when you are finished.

p.s. If I remember the name of my windproof fabric, I will post it for you. If find it perfect for running. It does not add heat but cuts the wind which is all I require. Pardon me if I state the obvious but you build a layer of warmth around you in your clothes and the wind will sap all of it without a wind stopper. I find the wind to be a more important factor then the temperature around the temperatures you state.

Edited by Antoine tri 2014-11-20 3:26 PM
2014-11-20 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Wednesday morning 5 mile run temperature was 16° F.  This is what I wore....

Bottom

Wicking boxer brief 

Under Armor Cold Gear tights

Smart Wool socks

Under Armor Cold Gear long sleeve base layer

Long Sleeve Tech Race Shirt

Fleece

Running Skull Cap

Light Weight Ski Gloves

Cold when I started but comfortable after about 1/2 mile.  I LOVE running in the cold!!!!!

2014-11-20 3:32 PM
in reply to: caffer

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Does anyone run in "soft shell" jackets?

2014-11-20 3:41 PM
in reply to: caffer

do you really get those temperatures in California or is it exceptional? Wondering if it is worth it to invest in clothes for the cold for you.

For me a really cold day is -22 F windy. The average here in winter is 14 F.
I will do cross country skiing or stay home on the coldest days and train on the more regular ones. What I am saying is I adapt my schedule to the weather of the day.

If you have some parks/forest then running in those will diminish the wind and feel warmer. You will be much more comfortable running in a forest then running on the streets.

2014-11-20 3:44 PM
in reply to: Antoine tri

User image

Los Angeles, California
thanks for the replies guys! that sounds encouraging. I expect winds to be pretty brutal closer to the top so might not be the most pleasant run I think I more or less got a feel for what's involved (sounds like a lot less than I thought it would be). my two big questions would be though what extras would you take if you are not sure of your ability to run it all the way through? I mostly ran flat so I can imagine going uphill will be a ballbuster and I'm pretty sure I'll have to walk/stop at some point. so just how much extra would I need for those times when I slow down?

second question is with regards to the shoes. I run in weightless rc5000 here but they are like papar I can't imagine I'll be anywhere near warm in these even with smartwool socks and all (I don't think there's much snow out there yet so I'll leave traction issue aside). so how would winter running shoes be different from regular ones, what to look for and what brand/models can you recommend?

Thanks!
2014-11-20 3:49 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Denver, CO

I ran a 10k on Saturday when it was 14*F, light snow, 10 mph wind.  Here's what I wore:

• Silk long sleeve turtle neck--silk stuff has great insulating and wicking qualities.  REI carries it and Sierra Trading Post has good deals.
  • Columbia Omni-Heat run shirt w/ 1/4 zip collar
  • Pearl Izumi wind-blocking jacket (very similar to soft-shell jacket but lighter weight) w/ 1/4 zip collar
  • Canari rain jacket--helped block the wind just a bit more

bottom

• Wicking run capris
  • Mountain Hardware wind-blocking tights
  • Random pair of light-weight wicking athletic pants (no idea the brand--they're a jillion years old)

I also wore merino wool socks, a light-weight fleece hat and breathable mittens.  I took the mittens off at about mile 3 because I didn't really need them.  Earlier in the week, I ran in similar conditions, just a few degrees colder.  I didn't wear the run capris and work a rain vest instead of the Canari jacket.  I wasn't really cold but my arms and legs got chilled hence the adjustment in the layers.  I like the 1/4 zip collars because I tend to sweat a lot and having that venting is important for me.  As a general rule not factoring in rain or wind, I dress as if it's 20*F warmer.

2014-11-20 3:51 PM

User image

Los Angeles, California
Antoine,
those are definitely exceptional temps that you can see only in the mountains in the winter here in California but I love mountaineering so I actually got quite a stock or warm clothing.

Just trying to extend my new found love for running to faster peakbagging rather than dragging feet all day long why not spint up all the way to the top. when hiking up in the cold especially if planning to camp you usually carry a lot the whole thing is slower and colder I guess and you have the luxury of carrying extra stuff in case you get cold. I'm trying to understand just how light I can go and still stay warm if I plan on running most of the time.

this will definitely not be my normal run by any means but I'd love to get the confidence that I can run in the cold (I already tried running in 100+F so I know I'm good on the opposite side of the spectrum )
2014-11-20 3:56 PM
in reply to: trijamie

Originally posted by trijamie

Does anyone run in "soft shell" jackets?

I find it heavy. A soft shell is a basically a polar with a wind protection. I prefer to have a polar with no wind protection and a wind stopper with no insulation and then decide if I need only one or both. I rarely need both when running.

Look at this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4yctOjGxm0

The versa jacket. No insulation, you can remove the sleeves very easily. I love it for lesser colds. This one is adjusted so I cannot really wear a polar under. As soon as I find the larger one I throw over polar I will post it.
2014-11-20 4:04 PM

User image

Los Angeles, California
pardon my ignorance, what's a polar?

2014-11-20 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Temperature is not really an issue for running if you dress for it, I routinely run all winter in 0 to -15 F temps ,for me its Icey sidewalks that usually make the decision weather to run outside or not, not the temperature. AS Mentioned good gear will go a long way to making your run actually very comfortable.

Lots of people use soft shell Jackets for sure, I much prefer Vests myself both padded and non padded over a full jacket but that's just my preference.
2014-11-20 4:08 PM

Originally posted by woosh

Antoine,
those are definitely exceptional temps that you can see only in the mountains in the winter here in California but I love mountaineering so I actually got quite a stock or warm clothing.

Just trying to extend my new found love for running to faster peakbagging rather than dragging feet all day long why not spint up all the way to the top. when hiking up in the cold especially if planning to camp you usually carry a lot the whole thing is slower and colder I guess and you have the luxury of carrying extra stuff in case you get cold. I'm trying to understand just how light I can go and still stay warm if I plan on running most of the time.

this will definitely not be my normal run by any means but I'd love to get the confidence that I can run in the cold (I already tried running in 100+F so I know I'm good on the opposite side of the spectrum )

When running up in forest you don't have wind and you will get much hotter so you need even less cold protection. I would probably run that with no insulation at all and as soon as I get to the top put a feather jacket. I enclose a link to illustrate what I mean but I don't necessary recommend this brand. It is just for illustration. Those jacket fit in your fist when they are compacted so they are very easy to bring.

I don't run in mountains but I do hiking. as soon as you reach a summit, the wind catches up. Especially if you stop for the view which you probably do. So run light and dress at the top.

My exemple: http://www.mec.ca/product/5023-362/mec-light-degree-hoodie-mens/?f=...
Mec does not exists in USA, it would be the Canadian equivalent of REI.

If somebody knows the English name to designate those kind of coats, I would finish my day a little more intelligent.
2014-11-20 4:21 PM

pardon my ignorance, what's a polar?

A very light coat usually synthetic. Looks like felt. Cheapest ones sell around 20$ and it goes up. You can also get merino ones over 100$. I often go to outdoor surplus shops.

When you run, it is very nice to have one with a smooth finish, not catching the wind. Not used to describe sports clothes in English so if anybody has a better description, it will be appreciated.

If you go to outdoor places they will usually know what this is. More like a vest then a coat.

Here is an exemple: http://www.chlorophylle.net/men/jackets/polars/fuego-full-zip-15903

Again, I am not suggesting a brand, just showing an example.

Edited by Antoine tri 2014-11-20 4:28 PM
2014-11-20 4:27 PM

Originally posted by RRH_88

Temperature is not really an issue for running if you dress for it, I routinely run all winter in 0 to -15 F temps ,for me its Icey sidewalks that usually make the decision weather to run outside or not, not the temperature. AS Mentioned good gear will go a long way to making your run actually very comfortable.

Lots of people use soft shell Jackets for sure, I much prefer Vests myself both padded and non padded over a full jacket but that's just my preference.

Padded vest. Thank you, that was the word I was looking for when describing feather jackets. Those get extremely small when compressed. They are also very light. So in the context of you running the mountain, you run without one and then put it on when you are at the top. Depending on the material, it may not be tolerant to water at all (nor sweat). Most notable example of non water tolerant ones are those made of feathers.

Edited by Antoine tri 2014-11-20 4:36 PM
2014-11-20 4:43 PM

User image

The maximum temperature here hasn't reached 30 F for about 2 weeks. We get spells where it's below - 20 for weeks at a time and I run all winter. It's all a matter of dressing properly. Have a wicking garment next to your skin to pull any perspiration away from you. The insulating layer comes next. The colder it is, the thicker the insulating layer should be. On the outside, have a windproof, breathable shell. As you warm up, take off layers. You should always be cool when you run so you don't have sweat sucking the heat out of your body.

2014-11-20 4:44 PM

Woosh, if you are looking to buy, I suggest you buy the minimum now and look for rebates at the end of the season. I do the same for summer clothes. I am an enthusiast when it comes to clothing but I don't mind being one season late.
2014-11-20 5:42 PM

User image

Los Angeles, California
thanks guys! so any ideas with regards to shoes? would highly ventilated light shoes do with smartwool socks if running or do you still need better protection than that?
2014-11-20 6:16 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Do you have trail running shoes? Those usually work well in cold conditions with wool socks. Otherwise, I'm usually fine with normal running shoes, but not the really minmalist kind. You also need to keep safety in mind. I don't know what the situation is on Mt. Whitney but have done lots of trekking--you say you have mountaineering experience so hopefully you know......definitely bring enough clothes, food, etc. to keep you alive in the event of worst sase scenarios like injury that makes you unable to run/walk, sudden storm, etc. A down vest/jacket would be a very good idea for starters.
2014-11-20 6:57 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by woosh thanks guys! so any ideas with regards to shoes? would highly ventilated light shoes do with smartwool socks if running or do you still need better protection than that?

What type of surface are you running on? Roads, some type of trail? If the latter it really makes a difference what the surface is like.

I've done ok with somewhat ventilated shoes and smart wool ski socks down at the lower end of that temperature, but I usually don't have as many issues as others.

2014-11-20 9:48 PM
in reply to: #5068872

I prefer more stable shoes with bigger crampons. Look at saucony xodus for an exemple. They are also waterproof. A bit heavier but still running shoes.

2014-11-20 9:56 PM

User image

thanks guys! so any ideas with regards to shoes? would highly ventilated light shoes do with smartwool socks if running or do you still need better protection than that?

They would probably be okay unless you're running in snow. The mesh lets in the water pretty easily. I bought a pair of running shoes without mesh that are one size too big for me for winter running. I have double layered socks that I wear with them but if you wore two pairs of wool socks, that would work well also. When it's really cold (below - 25) I wear regular running socks and then my double layered socks over top.
2014-11-20 10:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Its not "would I?" Its "When I ..."

Windchill plays into the equation as well.

10F is -12C which is not bad without wind but around here there its usually adjusted to -20C with the wind.

At that temp I would use my Thermo Roubaix tights under my Craft xc ski pants which are semi tight fitting with a soundproofing film on the front. A long sleeved base layer or a sleeveless base layer and arm warmers then a mid layer like a Thermos hoodie (Solomon XC ski, www.mec.ca private label), then I have a few different jackets to choose from based on the conditions, IE Craft softshell, Sugoi wind inhibitor (super thick poly, from 2004). I have a variety of touques to pick from as well as Buff to use as a face cover below -10, I have a nice pair of mitts from Nike.

Edited by simpsonbo 2014-11-20 10:37 PM
2014-11-20 10:36 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Pegusus Trail if the ground is snowy, otherwise no change in shoes, socks are usually a light weight wool.

Socks

http://www.mec.ca/product/4013-150/defeet-wooleator-sock.-unisex/?h...

Tights/Pants
http://www.mec.ca/product/5019-896/mec-mercury-tights-mens/?h=10+50...

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=12274956

Tops

http://www.mec.ca/product/5034-423/mec-merino-t1-long-sleeved-crew-...
http://www.mec.ca/product/5026-604/mec-t3-hoodie-mens/?h=10+50089+5...

Jackets
http://www.mec.ca/shop/running-and-fitness-jackets-mens/50005+50021...

Headwear

http://www.mec.ca/product/5034-374/mec-charge-toque-unisex/?h=10+50...

http://www.planetbuff.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiAv7ajBRCIldS7rp7wzFkSJAAA1n...
http://www.mec.ca/product/5030-180/chaos-merino-wool-tubular-headwe...

Gloves
http://www.mec.ca/shop/mens-gloves-and-mitts/50089+50111/?h=10+5008...
2014-11-20 10:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » winter running clothing Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

what socks do you wear during winter running(Canadian winter) :) Pages: 1 2

Started by jamiemutton1
Views: 7142 Posts: 31

2014-02-09 12:20 PM Macguyverguy

Winter Running Clothes

Started by 15step
Views: 2819 Posts: 22

2010-09-21 12:38 PM davidschmaus

How to search online for winter weather running clothes

Started by maxmansmom
Views: 959 Posts: 6

2008-12-17 2:12 PM maxmansmom

winter cycling clothes

Started by trish123
Views: 624 Posts: 5

2005-03-23 12:45 PM B-One

Best winter cycling clothes?

Started by Bigpikle
Views: 643 Posts: 6

2004-09-14 8:02 AM Bigpikle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.
date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.
date : October 31, 2004
author : tmwelshy
To prevent a mental breakdown before you even get to the starting line, use the winter months to set goals, build your base, vary your workouts, cut back on training and throw in some variety.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?