General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USA Triathlon Olympic Distance Age Group Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-12-02 1:45 PM

User image

Subject: USA Triathlon Olympic Distance Age Group Championships
Hello all, I got an email the other day saying I qualified for this race.

I just competed in my first season, so I'm kind of learning the ins and outs of the sport. So my question is - is this race worth doing? Is it a big-ish deal, like getting a time that qualifies for the Boston Marathon? Or is it just kind of another race?

I already have planned out what races I'm doing next year, but if this is worth doing I may add this or drop another race in favor of this one. Btw - the USAT Oly is in Milwaukee, which is a short drive for me and wouldn't be any additional financial burden travel-wise.

Thanks in advance!

2014-12-02 1:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: USA Triathlon Olympic Distance Age Group Championships

This will be the 3rd year the US Champioinship is in Milwaukee.  It was a really good race the first year, a better race last year, and wilol porbably be about as well organized as a large race can be by next year.  By all means, it's worth it.   From an "event" standpoint it's top notch.

As for being a big deal......you'll be able to find out where you stand against some of the best AG racers in the country.....but it's AG racing, so it's not THAT big of a deal.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-12-02 1:55 PM
2014-12-03 12:28 AM

User image

I'm a newbie too and was wondering the same thing..

That being said, I know it's age grouper bla bla bla but is the race like a stepping stone to move up more? Like, someday competing with Gwen Jorgenson if we were good enough?

I believed the hype >_<

What happens after the AG Championsip?? World AG? and then what...

Edited by rizztalah 2014-12-03 12:29 AM
2014-12-03 5:42 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-12-03 5:44 AM
in reply to: ginger1981

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-12-03 6:18 AM

Champion
Knoxville area
It's a great race. Well put on and organized.

I'd say it's a pretty humbling experience for most local FOP athletes

2014-12-03 6:19 AM

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I've done this race the last two years and had a great time. This year I qualified this fall instead of in the spring and was able to get the special hotel rate and the Hyatt instead of the Ramada Inn, that had the same rate but was not nearly as nice. I saw that the Hyatt had 177 rooms left at the lower rate as of Monday afternoon.

I suspect the 2015 race will be even better than 2014. The construction in the area I think should be completed and this will improve the pavement on the bridge for the race, not to mention the traffic challenges from this year getting to the race site. Last year my GPS put me in the wrong lane on the highway and I missed my exit due to the construction. I had to go about 5 miles before I could turn around. It turned out that this wasn't so bad as coming in from the north the exit ramp was not nearly as crowded and I probably ended up saving time.

I wonder if the jackets they are giving out will be two sizes too small like last year. I noticed that they put a sizing chart on the website for the jackets for 2015. The "large" jacket I got this year barely fit my son who weighs in at 130 lbs. At 185 it didn't fit me at all.

2014-12-03 7:40 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by rizztalah

I'm a newbie too and was wondering the same thing..

That being said, I know it's age grouper bla bla bla but is the race like a stepping stone to move up more? Like, someday competing with Gwen Jorgenson if we were good enough?

I believed the hype >_<

What happens after the AG Championsip?? World AG? and then what...

I believe this race is used to qualify for Worlds. Find out where 2016 worlds is being held and you may set yourself a goal to try and qualify. Typically the further or less exotic the destination, the easier to qualify. For example qualification in 2014 for 2015 worlds in Chicago, I believe was a little tougher for Americans, as more people wanted to go. If they make the 2016 worlds in Ubugusthan, spots may roll down more.

If you qualify for worlds, you will not race Gwen, but she will be racing that same week in another division. These big races, Nationals and worlds do have a different feel to them than the local races and definitely an experience.

If one day you qualify for 70.3 worlds or Kona, then the pros are actually in the same race, although a different wave. Kind of cool to see the pros zoom by in the opposite direction on the bike. A co-worker of mine beat Crowie last year at Kona.

Edited by marcag 2014-12-03 7:42 AM
2014-12-03 8:45 AM

Pro

Originally posted by rizztalah I'm a newbie too and was wondering the same thing.. That being said, I know it's age grouper bla bla bla but is the race like a stepping stone to move up more? Like, someday competing with Gwen Jorgenson if we were good enough? I believed the hype >_< What happens after the AG Championsip?? World AG? and then what...

No, not at all.  The pathway to those types of competitions is completely different and separate.  If you find yourself finishing in the top 5 overall then it might be worth a look to see if you can compete at the next level, but that racing is not the same....it's a completely different animal.  Other than that, AG championships are not a pathway to Continental Cup racing, WTS racing, etc. 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-12-03 8:48 AM
2014-12-03 8:48 AM
in reply to: #5071438

naperville, Illinois
if you had to travel a long distance, not worth it. if you are close, definitely go. it is olympic distance so the race won't require long recovery and throw off your season.
2014-12-03 9:07 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Leegoocrap It's a great race. Well put on and organized. I'd say it's a pretty humbling experience for most local FOP athletes

Heck yeah it is!  2 weeks before Nats I had the 3rd fastest male swim split in a pretty competitive local race and came out of the water 37th in my age group at Nats.

The pond is much bigger in this race!

2014-12-03 9:11 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ginger1981  I already have planned out what races I'm doing next year, but if this is worth doing I may add this or drop another race in favor of this one. Btw - the USAT Oly is in Milwaukee, which is a short drive for me and wouldn't be any additional financial burden travel-wise. Thanks in advance!

What races might you be swapping out or de-emphasizing? I'm just close enough to not need an overnight stay as well.

Edited by brigby1 2014-12-03 9:12 AM
2014-12-03 10:06 AM

Regular
Washington, DC
I just got my qualification email, but I can't go this year -- doing IMMT the next weekend. But I raced at Milwaukee in 2013 and thought it was well worth the trip -- and it's definitely not a short trip for me (live in DC). You should do it!
2014-12-03 10:31 AM
in reply to: meggfishy

Master
South Alabama

I have done it the last 2 years and will be returning again this year. First year was awesome. Last year was exceptional with the field really being unbelievably strong since the races were qualifiers for 2015 WC in Chicago. Suspect this year will be more like 2013....a few less people and perhaps not quite as many of the top AG athletes. Will still be very strong and there will be some awesome athletes there. Excellent venue and the course is a good one.

2014-12-03 10:37 AM
in reply to: slornow

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by slornow

I have done it the last 2 years and will be returning again this year. First year was awesome. Last year was exceptional with the field really being unbelievably strong since the races were qualifiers for 2015 WC in Chicago. Suspect this year will be more like 2013....a few less people and perhaps not quite as many of the top AG athletes. Will still be very strong and there will be some awesome athletes there. Excellent venue and the course is a good one.

Randy, are you doing Chicago WC ?
2014-12-03 1:15 PM

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by rizztalah I'm a newbie too and was wondering the same thing.. That being said, I know it's age grouper bla bla bla but is the race like a stepping stone to move up more? Like, someday competing with Gwen Jorgenson if we were good enough? I believed the hype >_< What happens after the AG Championsip?? World AG? and then what...

No, not at all.  The pathway to those types of competitions is completely different and separate.  If you find yourself finishing in the top 5 overall then it might be worth a look to see if you can compete at the next level, but that racing is not the same....it's a completely different animal.  Other than that, AG championships are not a pathway to Continental Cup racing, WTS racing, etc. 

Aw, that's kind of a bummer. I thought it was a platform to see where you stand against others for sure but was also a possible stepping stone to move up into something more serious.

I know I will never be a pro, hahaha not with my swim time now! But how do people become pros? What races do people do?

I'm already registered for this race in WI, but now I feel a little deflated Also, what is the whole spiel about getting on "Team USA" what does that even mean?? :/

2014-12-03 1:29 PM

Pro

Aw, that's kind of a bummer. I thought it was a platform to see where you stand against others for sure but was also a possible stepping stone to move up into something more serious. I know I will never be a pro, hahaha not with my swim time now! But how do people become pros? What races do people do? I'm already registered for this race in WI, but now I feel a little deflated Also, what is the whole spiel about getting on "Team USA" what does that even mean?? :/

Well, depending on where the world championship race is, that can mean anywhere from $5000.00 to $20,000 out of your own pocket for the honor or being on the team.  

Look, the AG national and world championship races are great events. The competition, as a group, is WAY above what you can get in any other AG race.  And if you finish in the top 5 of the Oly race you may even earn a pro card. All that really means is that you are no longer allowed to race in AG competitions and now you can travel around on your own dime trying to race for money in the "elite" divisons of various races. 

As for racing with Gwen, etc.......basically, unless you are a National caliber swimmer or runner, you can't.  And if you are a National caliber runner you better be a REALLY good swimmer compared to what you are used to seeing.  (if you can't swim a sub 1 minute 100 (as an easy measure) you aren't on the same page.

The problem is.......99% of the people who do triathlon in this country don't have any idea what those races actually look like in person. People here don't go watch the pros race in the WTS series even when they have a chance. They see quite a bit of local/regional racing and think they know what fast is.....they don't.  If you aren't playing at the top level of swimming, running, or triathlon nationally by the time you are 17 years old......forget it.....you aren't racing with Gwen.

There are some fast AG racers for sure......they're the National Champioins of the Wed. night softball league.....some pretty good ballplayers there.  But they aren't worrying anyone in the big leagues.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-12-03 1:34 PM
2014-12-03 1:47 PM
in reply to: rizztalah

Master
Northern IL

Aw, that's kind of a bummer. I thought it was a platform to see where you stand against others for sure but was also a possible stepping stone to move up into something more serious. I know I will never be a pro, hahaha not with my swim time now! But how do people become pros? What races do people do? I'm already registered for this race in WI, but now I feel a little deflated Also, what is the whole spiel about getting on "Team USA" what does that even mean?? :/

It'll likely have much stronger competition than many other races you'll see. It could be used to see about more serious, but likely better to look across multiple races for that and not just amateur only ones at that.

Elite Qualification. It could be done here. Gwen races a different format in draft legal. They have a few series going on. Not sure about any qualification or rankings needed to race up in the one she does as I don't follow as closely.

Being on Team USA largely lets you race in Worlds (as far as I know). They move the race around, so travel for it varies substantially. Could end up on any of the continents.

2014-12-03 2:15 PM
in reply to: marcag

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by slornow

Randy, are you doing Chicago WC ?

Will have to get a rolldown. Ended up with a killer sinus infection the week of the race and just didn't have it on raceday. Still it was a blast......feel like I owe Milwaukee a good race.  

2014-12-03 2:45 PM

I came out from California, last minute, qualified in July for the August race.  I am very glad I did, and had a blast.  I swam my usual Oly swim time, where I am FOP locally, and fell jsut outside the top 25% at Milwaukee.  That pack never broke up, wicked fast.  Also had bike and run PRs, almost broke an hour on the bike and was still outside the top 25%.

Rumors I've heard that Worlds will be in Monterrey MX (from a USAT official, for what it's worth) and draft legal, or South Africa (another board).  So i bet competition would be slightly less fierce next year. 

If it's just a short drive I can't see why you would not do it

2014-12-03 4:31 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Originally posted by ChrisM

I came out from California, last minute, qualified in July for the August race.  I am very glad I did, and had a blast.  I swam my usual Oly swim time, where I am FOP locally, and fell jsut outside the top 25% at Milwaukee.  That pack never broke up, wicked fast.  Also had bike and run PRs, almost broke an hour on the bike and was still outside the top 25%.

Rumors I've heard that Worlds will be in Monterrey MX (from a USAT official, for what it's worth) and draft legal, or South Africa (another board).  So i bet competition would be slightly less fierce next year. 

Ok, I'm going to sound like a total idiot and maybe I missed something, but I don't understand why competition would be less fierce? Is that because of the possible world location? I'm kinda confused still :/

2014-12-03 5:54 PM

Pro

Ok, I'm going to sound like a total idiot and maybe I missed something, but I don't understand why competition would be less fierce? Is that because of the possible world location? I'm kinda confused still :/

Yes, some years the AG world championship is in Europe, or some other destination that is expensive to get to .  Last year it was in Edmonton.  Just buying passports for out family cost 900.00, the entry fee was over 300.00, airfare was 2500.00 for our family, hotel was 1000.00, meals, rental car, blah,blah,blah....it's not cheap....but even that was better than a European trip.  Sooooo...in light of the cost of travel, the qualifying race the year before, also in Milwaukee, wasn't quite as competitive as it was last year (qualifier for Chicago) because there are fast people who showed up last year just to go to Chicago because it's cheaper and the world race likely won't be back in the U.S. for some time. ....some of them won't be back this year either.....see below.

This year the World race is in Chicago (last year was the qualifier) so many more people raced.....and some faster ones, because at least it's cheaper to travel to Chicago. 

This year you will be trying to qualify for a World race that may be in Mexico, may be in S. Africa, etc......not as many people willing to shell out the cash for that race.......like I said, It's an AG race......even though it has a flashy title the payoff is near zero except for a very, VERY few fast folks.

Like I said before, the AG National race is a great one....I doubt you'd ever regret doing it.....but keep perspective.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-12-03 6:07 PM
2014-12-03 8:22 PM

Elite

Yes, some years the AG world championship is in Europe, or some other destination that is expensive to get to .  Last year it was in Edmonton.  Just buying passports for out family cost 900.00, the entry fee was over 300.00, airfare was 2500.00 for our family, hotel was 1000.00, meals, rental car, blah,blah,blah....it's not cheap....but even that was better than a European trip.  Sooooo...in light of the cost of travel, the qualifying race the year before, also in Milwaukee, wasn't quite as competitive as it was last year (qualifier for Chicago) because there are fast people who showed up last year just to go to Chicago because it's cheaper and the world race likely won't be back in the U.S. for some time. ....some of them won't be back this year either.....see below.

This year the World race is in Chicago (last year was the qualifier) so many more people raced.....and some faster ones, because at least it's cheaper to travel to Chicago. 

This year you will be trying to qualify for a World race that may be in Mexico, may be in S. Africa, etc......not as many people willing to shell out the cash for that race.......like I said, It's an AG race......even though it has a flashy title the payoff is near zero except for a very, VERY few fast folks.

Like I said before, the AG National race is a great one....I doubt you'd ever regret doing it.....but keep perspective.

But at the same time - the Aussies, New Zealanders and probably a lot of Europeans won't travel to the US races either.
2014-12-03 8:24 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

Pro

Originally posted by jobaxas

But at the same time - the Aussies, New Zealanders and probably a lot of Europeans won't travel to the US races either.

Exactly......because it's AG racing....there is no return for your investment in almost every case.

2014-12-03 8:37 PM

Elite

Originally posted by jobaxas

Exactly......because it's AG racing....there is no return for your investment in almost every case.

Unless you turn it into a vacation. Not that I'll qualify but I do love a vacation1
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USA Triathlon Olympic Distance Age Group Championships Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

2013 USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

Started by siouxcityhawk
Views: 2433 Posts: 17

2012-12-20 5:02 AM tri_warrior

2008 Age Group National Championship

Started by maubueno
Views: 784 Posts: 2

2008-09-21 10:51 AM rzzqb8

2008 Age Group National Championships qualification

Started by aquaholical
Views: 1455 Posts: 8

2008-06-03 7:40 PM aquaholical

How Do Ironman Championship Age Group Slots Work...

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 1404 Posts: 3

2008-04-08 1:15 PM Dream Chaser

Age Group Championships

Started by c2fd
Views: 736 Posts: 10

2006-09-24 7:41 PM c2fd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.