General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Go ahead, your allowed to use it now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-12-08 6:10 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-12-08 6:51 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Go ahead, your allowed to use it now!

LOL!

"When I’ve watched a triple Olympic gold medal swimmer (Keiran Perkins) using a monster pull-buoy for all work outside of main sets..." 
I want to know what this "monster pull-buoy " is all about...

2014-12-08 7:26 PM
in reply to: Donto

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

The give them a pull buoy and then bombard them with huge yardage method is a sutton special. works for some people, not for others.   I have swum with one of his former athletes and was shocked at the form.

Use it as a tool to learn technique, not a crutch.

2014-12-08 7:27 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Fred D

By 'that', of course I mean a Pull buoy.

Great write up

http://trisutto.com/the-pull-buoy-debate-2/

Would love to hear the thoughts of the fish on this one?

I agree with many parts of that article, like this one: "And if you don’t like to swim and hate every lap you’ll never do the amount of training required to be swim-fit enough to enjoy your triathlon experience. Not even the BEST swimmers in the world with outstanding swim skills could swim 3.8km without exhaustion if they only trained twice a week doing a 2.5km or 3km. So I don’t know how I can convince the average age-group swimmer that the ability to regularly put in the miles and enjoy swim training is the biggest ‘technique’ one must acquire."

however, not this one, where he sets up the straw man argument where not swimming with a pull buoy equates to "thrashing away like a frog in a blender, increasing their swim ability by zero."

If a swimmer or a coach does not have the corrective ability to improve body position and mechanics then sometimes using a pull buoy is the only way to swim. I agree that if your butt is 6-12 " under (or more) and you are planning a wet suit legal race...then by all means wear the buoy or get the shorts. However my preference would be that you continue to develop the ability to improve your body position without aids, so that the aid is a supplement to your training rather than being the only reason you CAN train.

2014-12-08 7:53 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I would say a pull bouy is a useful tool. Helps work you to work on your rotation by isolate the legs. You can really get a good feel with hip drive in the rotation with a bouy. It is also a way to really build upper body strength. If combined with paddles can be quite a awesome workout.

Now for my disclaimer. I did not read the article yet. Don't use a pull bouy and paddles with shoulder problem. Use that combination sparingly with poor rotation as well. There are other drill you could work on. If you have a weak kick that is another reason for the same. I am sure I can think more but heading home for the night.
2014-12-09 8:39 AM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

By 'that', of course I mean a Pull buoy.

Great write up

Would love to hear the thoughts of the fish on this one?

We are having this same discussion over in the mentor group I am in.  Instead of re-inventing the wheel, I will just copy what I posted over there:

Originally posted by lutzman

Hey Scott:

Here's one for you...an Aussie coach that advocates pool aids for new swimmers as much as they want. Comments?

Steve

Steve,

My short answer: Yeah, not so much.

My long answer:

Let me start by saying I don't like to "argue" with other coaches. I don't for a moment believe that my coaching philosophy is the only one or necessarily the best one. My way works for me and has worked for the athletes I have been privileged to work with. I try to be open to other ideas as that is where learning takes place, however, in my mind a new idea has to "make sense." I am not sure I see where this particular idea makes sense.

While I am not a fan of pull buoys I am a fan of paddles and bands once a week or once every other week, although NOT for the reason most people advocate them. I view paddles as a stroke technique tool rather than a strength tool. All too often, I hear, "Use paddles to make you stronger." You can do the same thing in a gym, far more quickly, and far more targeted so I don't agree with the premise of using paddles for strength.

In the context of the article you shared - I don't really agree with his philosophy. Yeah, I know, he has a pretty impressive resume of athlete achievements. The question is, did the coach make the athlete, or did the athlete make the coach? I am not saying he isn't a good coach so please don't take it that way. I merely relate back to my swimming days - my coach, Jim Montrella, was a phenomenal coach. Yet, as more and more of his swimmers excelled, more and more REALLY fast swimmers came - from around the world - to train with him, leading to more of "his" swimmers excelling. Was that the coach making the athlete or the athlete making the coach?

So, removing the luster of an impressive resume, back to the pull buoy debate. I prefer not to use or have athletes use pull buoys because they can indeed be a crutch. I mentioned earlier that I use paddles and pull sets specifically to work on stroke technique. Part of technique is proper position in the water. While using a pull buoy will get your legs in to the proper position, it does nothing towards training you to keep them there. Can it be advantageous for a new swimmer to use a pull buoy in the beginning to develop an understanding of what proper position is? Yes, absolutely. Should that extend beyond one or two workouts? I don't believe so. I think you have to develop the core strength and "feel" so you can position your legs properly. Then there is the inevitable question of, "What happens when the pull buoy is removed?"

In the article it seems that Brett advocates, or at least accepts, using pull buoys all the time, even outside of pull sets. To my way of thinking, if you want to be a good swimmer, you need to swim. No frills, just swim. Brett says, "Pull-buoys also mimic wetsuit swimming, which is an entirely different body position than normal non-wetsuit position." Isn't that just replacing one crutch for another one? If you technique is good and you are positioned properly in the water without a buoy then using a wetsuit will merely raise you higher in the water, much like a speedboat going up on plane - potentially making you several seconds per 100 faster.

Then he goes on to say, "As for the inevitable question about how athletes then cope in a non wetsuit legal race? The answer is far better than if they wasted the preceding months thrashing away like a frog in a blender, increasing their swim ability by zero." Herein lies my biggest complaint with coaching today - Allowing toys to supplant good coaching. If an athlete is thrashing away like a frog in a blender than that is a coaching failure. One of a coaches primary jobs is to provide technique direction such that an athlete learns proper mechanics and does not thrash around the pool. Toys are not going to replace that. Now, I don't know how many people are in the water during these workouts. I do know from my days of coaching an age-group swim team that there is a difference between coaching one person and coaching 50. Regardless of the number of swimmers in the water however, a good coach will provide proper coaching to improve technique and using toys to replace proper coaching direction is just wrong.

Finally, the article talks about the so-called improvement of the swimmers making extensive use of a buoy. For example, "SOME SWIMMER (16 x IM Winner) never swam outside of a race without her swim toys. Never. She went from a 1hr 07min swimmer to get to the stage where she was swimming around 53 minutes with a wetsuit in most of her later Ironman swims."  That seems to support the notion of using the toys. But if we look closer, not so much. She has completed at least 16 IM's since she has won that many, maybe more? How many IM's can you reasonably do in a single season? 3? 4? In any case, we are talking about a career that likely spans at least 4-8 years. In the times cited, she started at around a 1:35/100 yard pace so clearly she had been swimming for some time before this. She dropped from 1:07 to :53, an improvement of 14 minutes. Stated another way, that is an improvement of 20 seconds per 100 yards or from +/- 1:35/100 yards to 1:15/100 yards. Nice improvement but was that improvement because of the toys or was it because of the additional yards that were put in during training across the years in the example? How much better might it have been if technique were correct and didn't rely upon a crutch to get into the proper body position? Of course that leads to the question of "How fast SHOULD you go in the swim?" That question is for another discussion on another day.

At the end of the day, I clearly have a different philosophy than Brett Sutton. I believe a swimmer (and yes that includes Triathletes) should put on a speedo, get in the water and swim. Learn to do it correctly, and put in the yards. The results will come.

In answer to your question about the article, yeah, not so much.

2014-12-09 8:48 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by AdventureBear

I agree with many parts of that article, like this one: "And if you don’t like to swim and hate every lap you’ll never do the amount of training required to be swim-fit enough to enjoy your triathlon experience. Not even the BEST swimmers in the world with outstanding swim skills could swim 3.8km without exhaustion if they only trained twice a week doing a 2.5km or 3km. So I don’t know how I can convince the average age-group swimmer that the ability to regularly put in the miles and enjoy swim training is the biggest ‘technique’ one must acquire." 

I absolutely agree with your comment and Brett's about not hating swim training.  I just disagree with Brett's position of using toys so that you "like" swimming.  It seems to me that learning proper technique so you aren't beating the water into submission will go a long ways towards enjoying swimming also.  Then, as an athlete trains with proper technique and begins to see improvement, it becomes much easier and much more rewarding to put in the yardage necessary to compete.

2014-12-09 9:00 AM
in reply to: k9car363

Expert
Ontario Canada
The pull buoy helped me immensely when I didn't yet have the swim stamina to go long, using it allowed me to start to go 1000, 1500. 2000. 2500 M without stopping until my conditioning caught up with my goals, and until I was able to increase my Kick strength to the point that I could maintain good form in the water without dying after a few hundred meters from kicking my brains out. Its a very useful tool if not depended on as a crutch you need to be able to get rid of it eventually. I only use it now when doing hard pull sets with paddles and buoy. I used short fins in the beginning in much the same manner.
2014-12-09 9:18 AM

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Scott.

Thanks for your reply. That was excellent.

In my case I have done a lot of work to try to improve my technique but like many, I am not in a situation where I can have a coach analyzing my stroke and making fixes on a day to day basis. I meet with someone about every two weeks to work on form and correct problems. I get drills and points to focus on until the next time. For me, between coaching sessions, putting in lots of yards is the only way I'm going to continue to make improvements. If swim toys helps me to do that then that is what I will do.

I swam this morning and was just garbage in the pool (after a pretty great swim yesterday, go figure). Nothing was 'right' and I felt like I was swimming in mud. For me, the fix was to grab a pull buoy and some paddles and keep swimming. It made my form feel better, helped me concentrate on the catch, and let me get in the yards.
2014-12-09 9:32 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

Regular
Help me understand something. Wetsuits give buoyancy and help with body position during the swim portion. A pull buoy is supposed to help your body position during the swim workouts. Wouldnt logic dictate that using a pull buoy is similar to swimming with a wetsuit?

I am a log floating the water, so this comes simply from a position of logic, not any real science, but I'd like to know the thoughts here.
2014-12-09 10:01 AM
in reply to: hessma

Groningen, Netherlands
If you really are a log floating in the water you actually have pretty good body position

2014-12-09 10:15 AM

2014-12-09 10:53 AM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Yes, I suspected there would be controversy regarding Sutto's recommendations.

Most of the time, extremes are not the correct approach... ie; all PB or no PB.

I use a PB, mostly with paddles. It does help me focus on a few key things like the catch and hip rotation.

I swim slightly faster with a PB and paddles, but not much (1-2 s per 100), but the key is that it takes less effort. Learning to rotate with the kick is something the PB does not teach.

Good comments overall, it is a discussion board after all ;-)

Yup, with most everything the answer is always, it depends. Sutton does give some good insight and thoughts to the reasoning of why he uses, what the focus is, etc.

In the end, if you use a pull buoy know why, how it translates to racing, and what the goals you are trying to accomplish. If you swim with a buoy just so you don't drown or are tired you are not doing yourself a favor.

Last year I swam with a HS team, never used a buoy and made huge gains. But I still swim with a buoy
2014-12-09 10:54 AM
in reply to: 0

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by AdventureBear

I absolutely agree with your comment and Brett's about not hating swim training.  I just disagree with Brett's position of using toys so that you "like" swimming.  It seems to me that learning proper technique so you aren't beating the water into submission will go a long ways towards enjoying swimming also.  Then, as an athlete trains with proper technique and begins to see improvement, it becomes much easier and much more rewarding to put in the yardage necessary to compete.

For the sake of understanding the "scale" of my approval of pull bouys...I have one athlete on my roster from last year that I included some "kickboard" floats for his training for a 2 month period of time about once a week. he took a kickboard, cut it into pieces and used 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 of a kickboard as a pull bouy to help feel body position. THis is one athlete out of about 20 who over the year I provided training plans for. So take 20 x 3 swims a week x 5 months of planning (just to make the math easy...real number is higher which makes final % lower) = total of 300 swim workouts and I had him use the kickboard bits for maybe 6 workouts.

This same swimmer has taken private swim lessons from many, many people, myself included, coaches I respect, coaches i've never met, have different philosphies than I do and great athlete results...and he still swims with his hips 6" under...he is in his 60s, small and very low body fat. When he puts on a wetsuit his body position is SO DRAMATICALLY different from his day to day swimming that he panics adn cant breath. So about 3 weeks prior to his first race of the season, he'll wear a wetsuit in the pool or just grab a pull bouy to re-orient himsself to the water.

SO he is an extreme and those are some examples where if he were to swim with one, he might actually enjoy it more, but he wants to learn to swim better, so he continues to take private lessons and practice!

BTW his ankles are among the least flexible I've ever encountered so that adds to the issues he has.

THat was a long story but basically to say that my agreement with Sutton in using toys to enjoy swimming more is limited, by examination of hsitory, to about 2% of total workouts last year.

Edited by AdventureBear 2014-12-09 10:56 AM
2014-12-09 12:13 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

2014-12-09 1:10 PM

Master
, California

Wouldnt logic dictate that using a pull buoy is similar to swimming with a wetsuit?

Buoyancy isn't the only aspect of the pull buoy.  A wetsuit doesn't force you to keep your legs together.  Uneven kick often comes from picking your head up too high to breathe.  The kick is trying to compensate for your stroke problem.  Pull buoys can help fix that by removing the kick from the equation.

2014-12-09 8:48 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wannabefaster

. . . For me, the fix was to grab a pull buoy and some paddles and keep swimming. It made my form feel better, helped me concentrate on the catch, and let me get in the yards.

It is likely your form felt better as a direct result of the paddles.  The increased resistance the paddles provide accentuates any technique flaws and as often as not, you correct them without even thinking about them.  Same thing with the catch, you can better feel the moment of the catch because of the increased resistance of the paddles.

2014-12-09 9:15 PM
in reply to: hessma

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by hessma

Help me understand something. Wetsuits give buoyancy and help with body position during the swim portion. A pull buoy is supposed to help your body position during the swim workouts. Wouldnt logic dictate that using a pull buoy is similar to swimming with a wetsuit?

Just to clarify, this is not directed at "you" personally, rather at "you" in a general 'some swimmer' sense.

First, there are races that you can't use a wetsuit - Kona for example.  I understand not everyone aspires to compete in Kona, nonetheless, there are races where you can't use your wetsuit.  If you can't get into the proper position in the water without a wetsuit or a buoy you may have some difficulty.  For example, your legs are dragging because you aren't in proper position, you are working harder because your legs are a big parachute acting like a brake, your HR goes high zone 5 and now you are thrashed before you ever hit T1 - all because you didn't learn proper position.  Maybe that is a worst case scenario, but, just saying.  The real problem with saying, "Wouldn't logic dictate that using a pull buoy is similar to swimming with a wetsuit," is that it overlooks the fact that the swimmer is still relying on something other than good technique to achieve the proper position in the water.  Secondarily, overuse of a buoy will actually inhibit learning proper technique, at least with respect to leg position, because you will not be developing the core muscles or "feel" for having the legs in the proper position.  Using a buoy for a repetition or two at the beginning of a set to refresh yourself on proper position is one thing, using the buoy all the time is another.

Just my humble opinion.

2014-12-09 9:16 PM

Master
ann arbor, michigan

. . . For me, the fix was to grab a pull buoy and some paddles and keep swimming. It made my form feel better, helped me concentrate on the catch, and let me get in the yards.

It is likely your form felt better as a direct result of the paddles.  The increased resistance the paddles provide accentuates any technique flaws and as often as not, you correct them without even thinking about them.  Same thing with the catch, you can better feel the moment of the catch because of the increased resistance of the paddles.

So does putting in lots of yards with paddles help learn and reinforce good form so that when I swim without them I swim better? Should I swim more yards or less with the hand paddles?
2014-12-09 9:20 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

The part about Sutto's article that fascinated me was taking adult onset swimmers into sub 60' IM swimmers.

ie; I was surprised at the success he has had.

I use PB for what I think is about 400/3000 yards typically, sometimes more. That's a little over 10%.

Maybe I need to be more extreme...

Fred,

My understanding is that Sutton's training plans have HIGH volume.  I wonder, is it the pull buoy or the volume that took adult onset swimmers to sub 60' IM swims?

I submit it was the volume.

2014-12-09 9:28 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven

The part about Sutto's article that fascinated me was taking adult onset swimmers into sub 60' IM swimmers.

ie; I was surprised at the success he has had.

I use PB for what I think is about 400/3000 yards typically, sometimes more. That's a little over 10%.

Maybe I need to be more extreme...

Fred,

My understanding is that Sutton's training plans have HIGH volume.  I wonder, is it the pull buoy or the volume that took adult onset swimmers to sub 60' IM swims?

I submit it was the volume.

Eggs against the wall approach?

2014-12-09 9:57 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

So does putting in lots of yards with paddles help learn and reinforce good form so that when I swim without them I swim better? Should I swim more yards or less with the hand paddles?

No, putting in lots of yards with paddles is a good way to develop shoulder problems.  I have the swimmers I work with do 1 set a week with paddles and bands around the ankles (preferably without a buoy), maybe a second set every other week.  I use paddles as a stroke technique tool.  I have them do a pull set, something like 6-8 x 100 at [threshold pace + 3 sec] with 20 sec rest.  The focus is on proper technique, including leg position.  By slowing down a bit during the pull set, you have the time to experience the feedback you are getting from the paddles.  Really concentrate on what the hands are doing throughout the entire stroke: entry, through the catch, the pull, ALL the way to full extension, then the recovery.  Immediately after the pull set, take the paddles off and do 2 x 100 and use the same technique you were just using with the paddles.  It will feel awkward because you no longer have the resistance from the paddles but force yourself to use the same technique as when the paddles were on.  Then a bit of rest and on the remainder of your workout.

Do that for a month and I think you will be pleasantly surprised with your technique.

2014-12-10 6:33 AM

I never like the idea of gear giving abnormal advantages.
2014-12-10 6:36 AM
in reply to: runningdude

2014-12-10 6:37 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Go ahead, your allowed to use it now! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

I just received the go ahead....

Started by djastroman
Views: 1813 Posts: 22

2011-11-06 7:24 PM djastroman

*Repeat Thread - go ahead and delete* Carfrae on Felt's Roster

Started by SammyKarch
Views: 558 Posts: 1

2011-01-03 2:30 PM SammyKarch

Go ahead and scold me........

Started by aquagirl
Views: 680 Posts: 3

2009-04-13 12:03 PM smilford

go ahead, laugh at me!

Started by RichieRich
Views: 1426 Posts: 19

2009-04-08 9:29 PM StMaas

Got the go ahead to Ride outside!

Started by aggiecatcher
Views: 1573 Posts: 11

2008-02-10 2:23 PM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.