BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-07-07 11:03 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
kate -hope your husband is ok.

Gretchen- rest is very important. I keep telling myself this when I miss workouts

Thor- I did pass my written test. Took the in box part Monday then last part is this Thursday.

My first race is Saturday. I'll send you guys a bib number when I have it. If anyone uses facebook and is interested PM me. I will be trying out the live track feature on my 920.

2015-07-07 11:06 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Devon--congrats on getting back in the pool! I love swimming, it is my favorite part of tri. The dog-tired thing never goes away though, or at least it didn't for me, have been swimming on a regular basis for three years now and I still want a nap every afternoon after swimming.

Speaking of swimming, I'm about to pull the trigger on some swim lessons to help improve my stroke (and hopefully, time) for my planned Oly in September. The Uni I work at has adult, private swim lessons for $12 a session (sold in 5 packs). I just have to talk to the coordinator to work out which instructor I want to work with. He doesn't seem to understand that there is a big difference between knowing how to do a particular stroke and being able to teach someone else how to do that stroke and/or improve on their current stroke. I keep asking about the teaching abilities, he keeps saying that all the instructors are swimmers, so they know the strokes. I guess in the grand scheme of triathlon spending, $60 isn't a big loss if I try it out and find I don't like it.

Long run this morning (4.21mi), with swim and weights later today in some combination. I'd like to get them both in during the same trip to the gym, but weights before swimming makes for a terrible swim and swim before weights makes for logistical issues. Oh well--I'll figure it out.

Happy Training Everyone!

Very true statement about knowing how to swim, and knowing how to teach.

I would honestly look into getting a video analysis done of your stroke, it's tremendous help.
2015-07-07 11:57 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Sounds awesome Dave!

I'm starting to get sore! How do you guys manage soreness?

3 hour mtn bike fri hour run yesterday. Babysitter coming in an hour to mtn bike again for a few hours.

soreness - It depends on what's sore. LOL. If I do a tough bike or run or combo then an ice bath. It's painful and sucks for the first 5 minutes then it's nice. I fill the tub with enough water so when i sit, it comes just above my butt. I use the coldest water the faucet will produce and put 2 big store-bought size bags of ice in it while the water is running. My sis-in-law is a PT and mentioned you get best benefit when the water is 50 degrees or colder. I wear about 3 layers of fleece on my upper body, a hat, and get a nice hot mug of tea. The first time I did it I talked very loud to myself to get through the initial cold "pain." LOL A little Advil can help too. I also invested in 2 rollers. I have a big cylinder with a smooth center section and 2 different trigger points on either side. The other one is like a rolling pin to get into fine muscles. These are worth every penny I spent on them. LOVE my rollers! Hope this helps a little.
2015-07-07 12:06 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by thor67

Good to see everyone getting their training mojo on!

Scott-better to learn tire change on the training then on the race! ( I cut off the valve and use the tube to help secure my bikes on racks)

Nice new bike Gretchen!

Great job on the race Jenn!

Dave good to see you starting to get some mileage in!!

John I just bought a Lezyne floor pump...you screw it on to fill tire...no leaking or anything. cost a bit more but love it!

I have zwift as well but have not uses as I need a Ant stick for computer. Have not bought as I would rather ride outside. I would be in for something in the fall/winter though.

Well just got back from our mini vacation/training holiday...started well but ended bad.

Got to the Okanagan Friday afternoon in time for happy hour. Had some great British Columbia beers over the week.

Weather was hot for me...high 90's low 100's...not so good when you are tenting but...

Managed to get some bikes and lake swims in which was great. Sunday me and my son decided to bike into Penticton. About 2 miles in we were heading down a long hill on hwy when my son hit a rock and lost control.. He flew off his bike at about 35mph. Worst thing I have seen as a parent. Thankfully he was not seriously hurt. Road rash all over but no broken bones or worse. Dr. said a few of them were equivalent to 3rd degree burns. Been a tough week for the family. Going to get back training this weekend. Apparently I have been doing a 1 month taper...Our "A" race is next weekend.

I would pass out if I watched my child wipe out at 35 mph. I would pass out if I saw him wipe out at 10 mph. The thought just takes my breath away. I am so happy he didn't break anything or get a concussion. I'm glad your heart didn't stop either....
2015-07-07 12:08 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Go Dave!

Nice mile Devon!

I got an 11 mile 1:45 mtn bike in today. My husband took a huge, scary digger right in front of me. He busted his lip- but is surprisingly good other than that. (But I'll wake home up to check on him before I go to sleep).

My goal for the week is 3 bikes, 3 runs and 2 swims. Although weather could make the bikes hard. Looks like a week of rain.

this is getting to be a bad theme - seeing the folks in front of us wiping out... Gosh, I'm glad to hear he's okay!!
2015-07-07 12:11 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

I've been MIA for a while, and I don't think I'm going to try to catch up on 500+ posts while I was away.

Good news though - I have found gainful employment; it isn't what I wanted, but it is acceptable and a job I should be good at.  Plus there's a gym on-site (corporate campus sort of thing) and the commute is an easy 10 miles one-way, which should make life pretty decent.  I start next Monday, so we will see how it goes.

With the job stuff settled and that stressor removed, I can finally start thinking about the future in a productive, non-dreadful way.

Yea, Charles! Good for you on the job!! You never know what one job may lead to - it's all about making connections!

2015-07-07 12:24 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

DeLand, Florida
Charles - thanks for the info!

Just a little background - I have been cleaning/degreasing and lubricating the chain, chainrings, cassette gears, and rear chain tensioners myself. The gear teeth on the chainrings and to a lesser extent the cassette are starting to look worn, and the chain felt pretty loose. The bike still shifts ok, but in some gear combinations I'm starting to get chain noise when I didn't use to. I've owned the bike for more than a year (with my stress fracture last year, the bike has only seen a couple hundred miles in that time) - and haven't lubricated the cables, and don't really want to deal with the mess. I don't know how to adjust derailleurs and don't want to mess with adjusting brakes. Wouldn't know if a wheel bearing was failing or if a steering bearing was about to let go - so I brought the bike to a trusted shop to take care of these details for me.

Also with so little cycling experience under my belt, I wouldn't have looked for cracks in the rim unless they were obvious, or known that paired spoke wheels are famous for it. Haven't decided what to do with that situation yet...

On the tires, one has a bubble and one has a few cracks. They offered to let me put the cracked tire on the front, and I have heard the tricks for using cardstock or a dollar bill to put between the tube and tire, but why risk it? I can save the cracked tire for a trainer tire and have two new tires on my bike for peace of mind. If I get a flat on the road, I stop and fix it. If I get a flat in a race, my race is shot. Mostly I was mad because I've seen the tires as cheap as $40 online, $50 from a store I've dealt with in the past, and the LBS charges the full retail $75 each. I got the Michelin Pro4 because that's what was on there already. They are very good tires as far as weight and grip goes, just on the high end for cost - though I have seen other tires with retail as high as $90! I don't think the tires on my car cost much more than that each....
2015-07-07 12:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by drfoodlove  The Uni I work at has adult, private swim lessons for $12 a session (sold in 5 packs). I just have to talk to the coordinator to work out which instructor I want to work with. He doesn't seem to understand that there is a big difference between knowing how to do a particular stroke and being able to teach someone else how to do that stroke and/or improve on their current stroke. I keep asking about the teaching abilities, he keeps saying that all the instructors are swimmers, so they know the strokes. I guess in the grand scheme of triathlon spending, $60 isn't a big loss if I try it out and find I don't like it.  

I'd be tempted to simply email some of the freestylers on the swim team and ask if they'd take money for lessons.  A couple of hours of critique from a collegiate freestyler would probably make anyone a better swimmer.  

I'm pretty sure NCAA rules don't allow for athletes to contract directly with you. I was able to give lessons through the athletic department- but not directly to people. I remember signing a bunch of stuff about it.

I think there were problems with alumni at big programs paying ridiculous amounts for Jr to get private football lessons - basically a way to get around direct payments to athletes.

(It was 20 years ago that I had to follow NCAA rules so they may have changed.)

That said you could get really lucky with the lesson program. I taught a fair deal in both undergrad and graduate school and I think the people got a good deal.

Do you have a gopro? I'd be willing to look at video and give you some thoughts.

2015-07-07 12:31 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by firebert

Charles - thanks for the info!

Just a little background - I have been cleaning/degreasing and lubricating the chain, chainrings, cassette gears, and rear chain tensioners myself. The gear teeth on the chainrings and to a lesser extent the cassette are starting to look worn, and the chain felt pretty loose. The bike still shifts ok, but in some gear combinations I'm starting to get chain noise when I didn't use to. I've owned the bike for more than a year (with my stress fracture last year, the bike has only seen a couple hundred miles in that time) - and haven't lubricated the cables, and don't really want to deal with the mess. I don't know how to adjust derailleurs and don't want to mess with adjusting brakes. Wouldn't know if a wheel bearing was failing or if a steering bearing was about to let go - so I brought the bike to a trusted shop to take care of these details for me.

Also with so little cycling experience under my belt, I wouldn't have looked for cracks in the rim unless they were obvious, or known that paired spoke wheels are famous for it. Haven't decided what to do with that situation yet...

On the tires, one has a bubble and one has a few cracks. They offered to let me put the cracked tire on the front, and I have heard the tricks for using cardstock or a dollar bill to put between the tube and tire, but why risk it? I can save the cracked tire for a trainer tire and have two new tires on my bike for peace of mind. If I get a flat on the road, I stop and fix it. If I get a flat in a race, my race is shot. Mostly I was mad because I've seen the tires as cheap as $40 online, $50 from a store I've dealt with in the past, and the LBS charges the full retail $75 each. I got the Michelin Pro4 because that's what was on there already. They are very good tires as far as weight and grip goes, just on the high end for cost - though I have seen other tires with retail as high as $90! I don't think the tires on my car cost much more than that each....

Bummer you missed the Specialized tire sale! I picked up a pair of Turbo Pros for $40!! It was a BOGO. See if there is a local bike group you can join and get discounts at LBS. I'm a member of GMBC (Green Mountain Bike Club) for an annual cost of $20. I get 15% off pretty much anything at all the LBS in the area, FitWerx, gyms, etc. Most will give you 10% off a brand new bike set-up. It pays for itself. I bought my $500 Thule bike rack last year and got 15% off - the GMBC membership big time paid for itself! Hopefully you can find something similar. Or make a trip up this way, pick up some Heady Topper and Switchback at the same time....now there's a thought!
2015-07-07 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
John- sometimes I prefer paying my LBS to free work from my husband.

He gets annoyed if I sneak my bike to them- but it gets done quicker - especially if I want something done before a race. It's just one less thing to worry about. (I'm a bit anal about planning and knowing when something is going to be ready.)

I got it in last year for new cables and the difference is impressive- I think I had it 3 years before doing that- but it's been ridden a decent amount.

And of course I usually find something I have to have for my bike when I go in...
2015-07-07 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by b2b14

kate -hope your husband is ok.

Gretchen- rest is very important. I keep telling myself this when I miss workouts

Thor- I did pass my written test. Took the in box part Monday then last part is this Thursday.

My first race is Saturday. I'll send you guys a bib number when I have it. If anyone uses facebook and is interested PM me. I will be trying out the live track feature on my 920.

Thanks Scott- he just ended up with a fat lip which is pretty lucky given going over the handlebars at a pretty good clip!

Good luck on your exam and race!

2015-07-07 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Ouch this sounds like my household...

Originally posted by Moonrocket John- sometimes I prefer paying my LBS to free work from my husband. He gets annoyed if I sneak my bike to them- but it gets done quicker - especially if I want something done before a race. It's just one less thing to worry about. (I'm a bit anal about planning and knowing when something is going to be ready.) I got it in last year for new cables and the difference is impressive- I think I had it 3 years before doing that- but it's been ridden a decent amount. And of course I usually find something I have to have for my bike when I go in...

2015-07-07 1:04 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
i'm back after 8 days of NOTHING! i can't believe I survived that long with no workouts - not entirely by choice, but it's all good! - had lots of fun in there!
We had a great holiday weekend at camp, from Thursday to Sunday. I brought my bike...didn't ride it. I brought my wetsuit....didn't swim. Brought my running shoes...never put them on. But darn it I had some nice Grey Goose martinis and random summer ales and ate Zweigle's beer brats and far too much chicken crack (aka buffalo chicken dip), and it was good. We had our first annual family Olympics at camp - had about 30 people there, broke into 3 teams, did things like a relay (3 legged race, wheelbarrow, sack-race, etc), came up with festive skits, paddle race sitting in a tube - out around the raft and back, and finally cornhole. It was a good time. Just as we finished barbecuing in the evening the sky opened up and it poured buckets. It was cool and windy all day on the 4th so not really a water-sports kind of day so the "Olympics" filled in nicely. Oh, and we all dressed up in our team colors too. (red, white, or blue) I was on team white. LOL

Yesterday i had a nice 20 mile ride and worked maintaining a consistent higher cadence - averaged 88 over 20 miles, goal was 90 so I was pretty happy. Did a short 2.5 run after. I've decided to take a cue from my sil and do the Galloway run/walk program - I run a mile, walk a minute and do that interval throughout the run. My knee still hurts though about 1.5 in.

Today I swam 2,500 yards doing a mixed workout and a 2 mile run after.
Warm up: 4x100 (swim, kick, swim, pull)
Main: 3x500 (swim, pull, swim)
200 paddles
6x50's
Cool down: 100 easy
I was going to do more on the paddles (things that go on your hands) but they're new to me so I thought it best to start slow.

Goals this week: Doubles yesterday and today (done)
Wednesday/Thursday: run (hubby out of town - all I can do with the kids)
Friday: ride with the Iron Cowboy!!!! I cannot wait for this!!!
Saturday: possibly another ride but I'm taking the boys camping Fri-Sun so we'll see
Sunday: rest
2015-07-07 1:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Okay, one more post - i had to take a picture of the back of my Heady Topper can...note the part about recycling.. Sorry it's so big, but I wanted you to be able to read it...

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-07-07 1:16 PM

(back of Heady Topper can.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
back of Heady Topper can.jpg (485KB - 3 downloads)
2015-07-07 1:21 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by aviatrix802

I've decided to take a cue from my sil and do the Galloway run/walk program - I run a mile, walk a minute and do that interval throughout the run.

Welcome back! Sounds like a great trip.

On the Galloway - after it being recommended to me here and elsewhere I've given it a shot this year. I'm using the app ($2.99), and we have a couple books as well that I haven't read yet. My goals were simple:
1. Keep running
2. Avoid running injuries
3. Hopefully keep getting faster, but not at the cost of 1 and 2.

I've met/exceeded all expectations, and it's only been since March or so that I started. I've taken a lot of other steps towards avoiding running injuries and increasing speed (changed shoes, completely changed stride and form, increased cadence, PT for my ankle, PT for my back) - so all of these things have helped for sure. But the one problem I always had was that my form would be great in the first mile but I'd go out way too fast, and get tired, and my form would go to hell - and I'd just push through and complete the workout. Now, since I know I have a walk break coming, I 'digest' the run in increments and keep form as my top priority. The app plays music at certain BPM that keeps my cadence high.

I've had no shin issues - after battling shin splints and related injuries my whole life this is huge. I've also mitigated the hip issues I was having (this is likely due mostly to my PT). And I've smoked my 5k times. This stadium 5k I did Friday - the last time I did this particular race was 3 years ago, so a lot has improved since then - but I was 10 minutes faster than the same course 3 years ago!

Anyway - the program makes recommendations for how long to run and how long to walk, but you are always allowed to adjust it to meet your body's needs (I know because Jeff keeps 'telling' me via the prerecorded coaching in the app ). Since you're coming off a knee injury you may find you need more walking less running at first.
2015-07-07 1:28 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
I just changed my longer run run walk intervals from 9min run 1 walk to 14:1.

I have been running better than ever on run walks. I might move to 19:1 this week. I have to keep them at mentally easy intervals ;-)

2015-07-07 1:58 PM

User image

, Vermont
Nice you guys! It's good to hear such positive reports! I'm hoping I can do the same!!

My sil got the book "half-marathon you can do it" for me as a thank you for hosting her and her family for the race as that's what she used in training for our HIM. Ironically I've run about 5 HM but this will be different. I'm going to use the plan for the 1:45-2:00 HM (I run a sub 2:00 hr) to train for my HIM in September. I find it interesting he has you run 19 miles at one point. - that's when I started asking my sil what the heck plan she was using making her run that far! She also manipulated her other swims and bikes to increase at the same % rate as her runs - so her workouts were quite a bit more than mine. All in all her goal was to finish under 6 hours and with a smile - she did both of these!! My max bike was supposed to be 3 hours - I rode up a mountain so it took me 3:40 and was 55 miles. She rode around 70 miles for her longer rides. She was very well prepared for her race.

Depending on what my knee decides it wants to do or not do, I'm holding the Oly and Aquabike in my back pocket.

Question: What would you do? If you couldn't do a planned HIM because you couldn't quite get your run built up in time to a HM distance but could do a 10k - would you: a) do the Aquabike at the HIM distances, or b) do the Oly because you did it last year and maybe you can beat your time? You know the course now and know what to expect.... My hubby wants to help me figure out a way to fit my training in (love him) for the HIM, but I'm only 8.5 weeks out and haven't run farther than 4.5, and this week 2.5 is irritating my knee. I can also get a cortisone shot a few weeks leading up to the race to help...

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-07-07 1:59 PM
2015-07-07 3:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Love the recycling comment.

Funny, I almost ALWAYS pour my beers(bottle or can)into a glass unless of course it is a run of the mill guzzling after I cut the grass beer.

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Okay, one more post - i had to take a picture of the back of my Heady Topper can...note the part about recycling.. Sorry it's so big, but I wanted you to be able to read it...

2015-07-07 3:38 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by thor67

Love the recycling comment.

Funny, I almost ALWAYS pour my beers(bottle or can)into a glass unless of course it is a run of the mill guzzling after I cut the grass beer.

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Okay, one more post - i had to take a picture of the back of my Heady Topper can...note the part about recycling.. Sorry it's so big, but I wanted you to be able to read it...

I've now had Heady Topper both from the can and poured into a glass and they're right, I definitely prefer it out of the can. Cans don't pour as well as bottles, it seems.
2015-07-07 4:36 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Scott - good luck in your race, enjoy it! WIill follow you through the we

Charles - great you got a new job.

Sounds like everyone is back on track. I finally did a decent training session after some travelling around the globe (back form Brazil yesterday) - swam 2100m in 44 min and then run 40 min, felt grrrrreat!!!!

By the way, end of July will be in Boston, New Haven and Portland, MN, anyone around for a beer (or wine)??

Juan
2015-07-07 5:04 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

When are you coming to Canada...more specifically Alberta?

Originally posted by Juancho Scott - good luck in your race, enjoy it! WIill follow you through the we Charles - great you got a new job. Sounds like everyone is back on track. I finally did a decent training session after some travelling around the globe (back form Brazil yesterday) - swam 2100m in 44 min and then run 40 min, felt grrrrreat!!!! By the way, end of July will be in Boston, New Haven and Portland, MN, anyone around for a beer (or wine)?? Juan

2015-07-07 5:48 PM

Colorado Springs, Colorado
So jealous that you've got some heady topper.

So many beers up north I would kill to get my hands on..even thought about making a trip to Indiana to visit three floyds and bring a couple cases back with me.

Got back out on my bike today, got a short brick workout in before the afternoon storms. Had to run the last half mile or so in the pouring rain.

Felt ok on the bike, legs were a little tight, can tell I've not put much time in the saddle as of late.

Hope everyone had a great day!

Edited by GeauxHard 2015-07-07 5:50 PM
2015-07-07 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by firebert Charles - thanks for the info! Just a little background - I have been cleaning/degreasing and lubricating the chain, chainrings, cassette gears, and rear chain tensioners myself. The gear teeth on the chainrings and to a lesser extent the cassette are starting to look worn, and the chain felt pretty loose. The bike still shifts ok, but in some gear combinations I'm starting to get chain noise when I didn't use to. I've owned the bike for more than a year (with my stress fracture last year, the bike has only seen a couple hundred miles in that time) - and haven't lubricated the cables, and don't really want to deal with the mess. I don't know how to adjust derailleurs and don't want to mess with adjusting brakes. Wouldn't know if a wheel bearing was failing or if a steering bearing was about to let go - so I brought the bike to a trusted shop to take care of these details for me. Also with so little cycling experience under my belt, I wouldn't have looked for cracks in the rim unless they were obvious, or known that paired spoke wheels are famous for it. Haven't decided what to do with that situation yet...

Most of it is pretty easy.  A few drops of Triflow on the cables every few months will keep them lubricated - the metal cables will wick it up.  Takes about 15 seconds.  Bearings last forever, and will let you know, with no uncertainty, when they go bad.  The most common headset bearing issue is a loose headset, and again, it's something that is noticeable - as in really loose steering that makes you go "there's something wrong here. . . "

Cable adjustment is really easy as well - it's hard to write about, but any YouTube video will teach you how to do it in about five minutes.

Other that wheel truing, wheel building, and bike fitting, I feel that pretty much every bike adjustment is a "watch one, do one, teach one" situation.  

What gear combinations are you getting chatter?  Is it a cross-chaining issue, i.e., big cassette and big ring, or little ring and the small cassette gear?  

I'm probably a little stung by bike shops, since I have had lots of cruddy experiences.  My Felt came with shift cables for brake cables from a really well-recognized and highly respected bike shop - and that was not a cheap bike.  Brake cables have a different winding due to brake compression, so it's just either laziness or outright stupidity that caused that.  

I also went to the bike shop that sponsors my club (in club kit with the shop name on the back, after a ride, and wearing the shop's faux vintage hat, and just having finished a ride with the shop owner, who wasn't at the shop) to see about getting a replacement suspension fork for a hybrid bike someone gave me, and after explaining I was just curious about price and that budget was fitting for a dumpster bike, was told it would take 10 days and cost $150.  I then bought a brand new one off of eBay for $20.  

So, yeah, I don't really trust most of the local wrench jockeys with my life or my bike.  

2015-07-07 9:26 PM

User image

I think it's important to develop a relationship with an LBS. Switching between shops or showing up with a new bike you didn't buy at the shop (if you have a history with that shop already) is often a good way to get on a shop's bad side. I just moved to Ottawa and have no idea where to take my bike now. I had a good thing going in London. My LBS there have gone out of their a few times to help me out. When I crashed and busted up a bunch of spokes and needed a rebuild, the one mechanic took my wheel home with him so he could work on it in his spare time so I could race on it the next day. I bought him a 6 pack of my favourite beer. I always spend 15-20 minutes chatting with the mechanics at any LBS I go to. Building a rapport is essential IMO. 

As for maintenance. Cassettes and chainrings do not wear as much as people would have you believe, even if you don't replace your chain regularly. I'm on my third chain and still running the original cassette with no problems. Bottoms brackets are typically good for about 15-20 thousand kms if the bike is cared for and not ridden hard in the mud and rain. Rear derailleurs will need to be adjusted every couple hundred kms depending on how you shift. If you shift under load a lot maybe more frequently. If you invest in decent equipment (105 or better in the Shimano range for example) should last as long as you'll have the bike for. I know guys who still use Dura-Ace components from the 80s on their training bikes. I disagree with Charles about lubing cables every few months. IMO cables and housing should be replaced rather than lubed at least once per season (more if you ride a lot). I don't even lube my cables, the lube never makes it beyond the first few inches of the housing anyway and really has no effect on anything. Keep the cables clean and replace them annually, they're not expensive. 

When it comes to wheels, I don't mess around with truing. If I had a truing stand, I might. But there is more to truing a wheel than just getting it to ride straight. If you're not careful you can put a flat spot in the rim or turn the hoop into an oval. I've made on the fly adjustments using a zip tie in the chain stays but never on my racing wheels and never as a permanent fix. Hub bearings should be repacked annually. You can do it yourself but I don't recommend it unless you have a crappy set of wheels to practice on. It costs about $20 to have bearings repacked. Headsets nowadays are made well enough on mid to high end bikes that they'll likely never need to be replaced as long as you have the bike. Unless of course you enjoy cobbles. The best way to make sure your bike runs smoothly is to clean it regularly and thoroughly. It keeps the components free and clear of debris or anything that can cause damage but it also gives you a chance to spot anything out of the ordinary or anything that might need to be replaced in the future. It's always better to replace something before it goes rather than wait until it falls apart on the road. 

2015-07-08 6:16 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

Landrys is just far enough away for me on the south coast to be a hassle, but I've heard nothing but good things. EDIT ooh there's a Norwood location, didn't realize that. It's still a half hour but not as bad as Natick which is where I thought I'd be going.

Question for you (actually for any of you) - I know an LBS isn't going to match prices with online stores, they can't keep the same inventory etc. I know sometimes this means the LBS will charge full retail. But should full retail be so much more money than what online stores are charging? Like $75 vs. $50, $45 vs. $25.... If it was just one thing it would be fine, but when I'm looking at a bunch of parts the extra $20-25 each really adds up... This whole thing is eye opening. I think the future is going to see me doing a lot more work on my own bike. I know they're not overly complicated, but I also know I don't want to screw anything up and end up on my face at 25mph ya know? Also don't want to break any of the aforementioned bontrager and ultegra bits... One of my nicknames is gorilla hands - I have a really bad habit of breaking things unintentionally. Like it won't move, push it harder, it won't move, push it harder, it won't move, CRACK....

John - I found the same thing to be true at Landries. The prices are over the top. 100$ for a pair of biking shorts I could have bought on-line for $75. Therefore, I buy just enough stuff to keep them happy with me so that when I come in and need a favor they are willing to help. I also leave some of my biggest tuneups to them as well and try to do as much as I can on my own. My problem is that I don't have a mechanical mind - so let me know if you you find any good resources on how to fix a bike easily.

I still hope your LBS comes though!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54657 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.