BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-07-08 6:48 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by firebert Try not to miss my bike too much or get stressed about how long it's taking. It needs a tune up and likely two new tires (one has a bubble, one has a crack). LBS says 1-2 weeks... I need it in a week and 3 days for my tri clinic so I'm really hoping for the earlier end of that spectrum!

I hate the whole concept of a "tune-up."  For me, it's right up there with elbow grease and blinker fluid.  It's such a generic term to be meaningless.  

Post pics of your tires and I can probably tell you to replace it or not.  One test I do is to inflate the tube all the way to maximum sidewall pressure, then go ride around the neighborhood, do a few bunny hops, ride off a few curbs, and see if it blows.  If not, then you're good.  If yes, get a new tire.  You can use a tyvek envelope (the plasticy ones) to cut a patch for a gash in the tire; Park Tool also makes patches that serve the same purpose.  However, if you can see any significant amount of the patch on the fully-inflated tire, get a new tire.  

On tire sizes:  run 25mm width.  23mm tires are obsolete now, from all perspectives (aero, rolling resistance, comfort), and for the few circumstances where that isn't true, if you know enough to debate about it, then you know enough to choose appropriately  If you prefer comfort over marginal speed gains, a set of fat 28mm tires are really cushy and take much more of a beating than the smaller ones, but will be noticeably slower.  

On tire choice:  25mm Contintental 4000s are the gold standard, but pricey.  I personally run 25mm gatorskins on my deep section carbon wheels, but I would swap to 4000s for a time trial or really fast race.  My spring/winter box section wheels  (i.e., slow, durable) run 28mm Performance Bike Strada kevlar tires.  

On tune-ups:  First, learn how to clean your chain and deraiiluers.  That's 80% of it.  And learn to listen to your bike - if it sounds wrong, or there are issues shifting (jumping multiple gears, not shifting quickly or properly), then it's time to fiddle with things.  If you aren't having problems, and it isn't noisy, and everything is clean, you don't need to fix anything.  If you are having problems shifting, then start by fiddling with the barrel adjusters (one turn or half a turn at a time), because it's probably cable stretch that is throwing things off, so a little adjust should fix it.

Chains, cassettes, and chainrings are wear items.  If you keep an eye on things and measure carefully, you can probably get three chains to a chainring and cassette.  At least.  If you don't pay any attention to it, you'll get uneven wear and have to replace the cassettes and chains as a set.  Since cassettes and chains cost about the same nowadays, that's not really a big deal.  

The only decent way to tell if a cassette is worn is either (a) the teeth look noticeably and significantly warn, or (b) the chain will skip a tooth on hard efforts.  Chain skip (jumping teeth) without any chain chatter (lateral movement caused by the derailleurs) is the only real true indicator.

The drop gauges used by bike shops are inaccurate and unreliable at best - most brand new chains will fail them.

Not to rag on the LBS, but there's a lot of really bad ones out there, and it's a tough, competitive, low-margin market, so there is a tendency to use any reasonable (or not-so-reasonable . . .) excuse to change parts (and make money).  

And well over half of a tune-up is cleaning and lubricating the bike.  Why would anyone pay $60 an hour on labor for something so simple?  Many shops offer a basic and usually free class on cleaning, lubrication, and tire changing - and most REI stores do as well.  If you don't know how, go to one of those classes, or better yet, ask a friendly bike guy for help.  The only skill-necessary parts of a tune-up are derailleur adjustments and brake checks.  

Here's how to check your brakes:  if the bike stops, and there is still some vertical groove left in the rubber pads, you're fine.  If not, have it fixed.  If you ride full-carbon wheels, well, that's another story.  

Bikes are tough, reliable machines, and if you aren't having problems, keep riding it.

Charles - it's posts like yours that make this group great. Thanks for posting and for sharing all your bike 411.

2015-07-08 7:08 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Nice you guys! It's good to hear such positive reports! I'm hoping I can do the same!!

My sil got the book "half-marathon you can do it" for me as a thank you for hosting her and her family for the race as that's what she used in training for our HIM. Ironically I've run about 5 HM but this will be different. I'm going to use the plan for the 1:45-2:00 HM (I run a sub 2:00 hr) to train for my HIM in September. I find it interesting he has you run 19 miles at one point. - that's when I started asking my sil what the heck plan she was using making her run that far! She also manipulated her other swims and bikes to increase at the same % rate as her runs - so her workouts were quite a bit more than mine. All in all her goal was to finish under 6 hours and with a smile - she did both of these!! My max bike was supposed to be 3 hours - I rode up a mountain so it took me 3:40 and was 55 miles. She rode around 70 miles for her longer rides. She was very well prepared for her race.

Depending on what my knee decides it wants to do or not do, I'm holding the Oly and Aquabike in my back pocket.

Question: What would you do? If you couldn't do a planned HIM because you couldn't quite get your run built up in time to a HM distance but could do a 10k - would you: a) do the Aquabike at the HIM distances, or b) do the Oly because you did it last year and maybe you can beat your time? You know the course now and know what to expect.... My hubby wants to help me figure out a way to fit my training in (love him) for the HIM, but I'm only 8.5 weeks out and haven't run farther than 4.5, and this week 2.5 is irritating my knee. I can also get a cortisone shot a few weeks leading up to the race to help...

Jenn -

Love the new profile pick! You are a BDAS!

Also love the Heady can and the part about not being a D Bag - always amuses me

As for your HIM - it depends on what you want to get out of it. If you want to compete - then I agree that signing up for a shorter race is a good idea. But if your time really doesn't matter - then think about doing the HIM and walking part of the way. Last year when I was struggling with my hip - I did a HIM with my longest run being 8 miles and I did repeats where I walked for two minutes and ran for 1. I finished in 7+ hours - but I still finished!

Did your 2.5 hurt you after taking 8 days off? If so - it might be worth it to check with your doc/pt to make sure things are working ok.

Good luck!
2015-07-08 7:11 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

Scott - good luck in your race, enjoy it! WIill follow you through the we

Charles - great you got a new job.

Sounds like everyone is back on track. I finally did a decent training session after some travelling around the globe (back form Brazil yesterday) - swam 2100m in 44 min and then run 40 min, felt grrrrreat!!!!

By the way, end of July will be in Boston, New Haven and Portland, MN, anyone around for a beer (or wine)??

Juan

Juan - We get back from Michigan on July 24 and I would love to grab a beer (for me) and wine (for you!)
2015-07-08 10:41 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
All this bike repair/upkeep talk freaks me out a little. I just don't know enough about bikes to know when something is really wrong, unless, that is, parts fall off. Then I'm pretty sure something is wrong.

Trial of mental toughness today. Long ride scheduled today and the only time I could fit it in my schedule is this morning. Wake up early, and it is raining. Ugh. I know I could ride in the rain, but I don't find it enjoyable and just plain don't want to. Haven't changed out the trainer skewer from my old bike to the new yet (can't find the regular skewer for the old bike!), so I ended up cranking out 2 hours in the spin room at my gym. I have no idea where the light controls are, so it was dark, and hot, and I was totally p!ssed to be in there instead of on my new bike. I fought every single minute of it, but got it done in the end. Feeling triumphant this morning. Hoping it will carry forward into the day to help me get some things done.
2015-07-08 11:55 AM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17

Sandi: Way to go on your longest swim. A mile is a big accomplishment - especially when you look back on all you have done and gone through to get there! I know you're not a huge fan of OWS but just think of all you have done in the past. Any chance you can get into the water at the race site?

As for beer/incentives... I'm super focused right now but I'm worried about what will happen after my race in August. Could we have a fall challenge?

Hi David,

Yes--We are going a couple of nights and a full day early and my plan is to do the swim the day prior. It's something I found last year that I needed to do to avoid panic....once I know I can do it, I cruise through. And I'm back in Seattle now so will be swimming in the lake tonight and tomorrow....aiming for 3/4 mile each day, and if I can do this nonstop I should be okay for Saturday fitness-wise.

A fall challenge sounds great. I really dropped off last fall too and have to avoid this. Plus I have another surgery at some point later in the year and will need prodding and motivation to get back to where I was ASAP.

Sandi
2015-07-08 12:53 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Originally posted by drfoodlove

All this bike repair/upkeep talk freaks me out a little. I just don't know enough about bikes to know when something is really wrong, unless, that is, parts fall off. Then I'm pretty sure something is wrong.

Trial of mental toughness today. Long ride scheduled today and the only time I could fit it in my schedule is this morning. Wake up early, and it is raining. Ugh. I know I could ride in the rain, but I don't find it enjoyable and just plain don't want to. Haven't changed out the trainer skewer from my old bike to the new yet (can't find the regular skewer for the old bike!), so I ended up cranking out 2 hours in the spin room at my gym. I have no idea where the light controls are, so it was dark, and hot, and I was totally p!ssed to be in there instead of on my new bike. I fought every single minute of it, but got it done in the end. Feeling triumphant this morning. Hoping it will carry forward into the day to help me get some things done.

That is the mental toughness that will carry you though!

2015-07-08 12:57 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

thx for the bike tune up advise. I bought a bike stand for cleaning and lubing the chain/ cassette. Maybe I will look into being able to do more. Got in my swim and bike this morning. doing a 40 min run tomorrow then a very short bike and run Friday. .
2015-07-08 1:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Gretchen, interested to hear your experience on the swimming lessons. I'm considering that approach myself next year or in the off season....just not sure if it's worth it.

On the swim...in preparing for the next couple of weekends (have sprint races planned the next two weekends) I have some questions, would love feedback/honest answers/opinions.

Background: Last year I did my first tris....all sprints (pretty much all I am interested in at this point). However, they were all super sprints, so the swim distance was 1/4 mile. This coming weekend the sprint is 1/2 mile, so twice the distance I have experience with, and assuming it goes well I will enter the full sprint (as opposed to a super sprint) the following weekend. I've been doing a minimum of 3/4 mile in the pool and will practice this distance over the next couple of days in OWS so that I'm confident of the distance. Last year my first couple of races I REALLY needed to work on boosting my confidence/non-panic mode in the swim, but in the end with practice I did really well with all the races....finished the swim in under 9:30 and that wasn't with very good sighting or strategy. My last race of the season I had zero anxiety and got out of the water 9th, after a MAJOR detour, and easily would have gotten out 3rd had I paid attention to my sighting. However, these were super sprints so likely attracted less confident/experienced swimmers. I'm a decent swimmer. I should do the half mile in under 20 minutes.

Issue: Last year the crowds really didn't bug me too much. I wasn't confident enough to start out in front, but I pretty easily overcame the crappy swimmers and got into my own zone. If I'd had one more race I'd have definitely started out front more aggressively--not to elbow or kick, just to avoid being slowed down by doing so much passing around people. Again....I suspect many of the crowd weren't super experienced swimmers so this might have been easier to do than in my next couple of races. However, this year I have a little concern about the crowds and aggression, since I am down to one eye. Being kicked in the face would be BAD....even something as simple as getting my goggles kicked off, if the right way to my one good eye, would totally temporarily blind me. And a hard kick to my bad eye could cause damage....doubtful, but possible....and my surgeon would KILL me. I didn't have any problems with getting kicked last year, but since it was really a different class (likely less competitive) this may be why. I have intentionally waited to enter this weekend's race until after I can swim in the lake as I have no idea how possible it will be if the lake is super murky. That's another issue....I breathe solely off to my left side, something I know I need to change but am having a hard time with (and it isn't going to happen this year, it'll take a significant focus on relearning 47 years of swimming a certain way)...and my left eye is my now-blind eye. So I have zero ability to see when I breathe except when I sight. The following weekend is in a clear mountain lake so that won't be an issue, but it is VERY likely to be a crowded, competitive race.

So with these concerns, here are my questions:

1) the one appeal to the race this coming weekend is that the waves are self-select. This is intended to allow the more aggressive/competitive swimmers the opportunity to go first and the less experienced ones to go in the later waves. It's not clear to me how many waves there will be, it looks like a previous race was 3. IF THIS WERE LAST YEAR, or a shorter distance, I'd probably have elected to try to go out aggressively in the second wave. Assuming I can handle the water murkiness, what wave would you advise? I'm considering trying to go out strong in the third wave. Any thoughts about this strategy? Will it put me having to pass a lot of the slower second wavers?

2) Generally speaking, for future races where the swim waves are more traditional, what are considerations I should take when making a plan? My initial instinct given how well I did last year was to try to get out in front of the wave, let the stronger swimmers overtake me, and follow them. However, those are going to be more likely to be the aggressive swimmers.

***Edited to add additional thought....it also might be good to be following strong swimmers. Less sighting I have to do. But I don't want to push myself too hard attempting to draft with people who swim significantly faster.

Appreciate any thoughts you all have.

Sandi

Edited by sandishr 2015-07-08 1:28 PM
2015-07-08 2:35 PM

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Sandi-

Maybe try towards the front off to the side for a more traditional start. That way if you get in your groove and start keeping up with the FOP swimmers, you can still slide over to draft, but not have to worry about swimming around slower swimmers. You can actually get some drafting benefits swimming off to the side of a faster swimmer, so there's a benefit there too.

2015-07-08 2:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by sandishr So with these concerns, here are my questions: 1) the one appeal to the race this coming weekend is that the waves are self-select. This is intended to allow the more aggressive/competitive swimmers the opportunity to go first and the less experienced ones to go in the later waves. It's not clear to me how many waves there will be, it looks like a previous race was 3. IF THIS WERE LAST YEAR, or a shorter distance, I'd probably have elected to try to go out aggressively in the second wave. Assuming I can handle the water murkiness, what wave would you advise? I'm considering trying to go out strong in the third wave. Any thoughts about this strategy? Will it put me having to pass a lot of the slower second wavers? 2) Generally speaking, for future races where the swim waves are more traditional, what are considerations I should take when making a plan? My initial instinct given how well I did last year was to try to get out in front of the wave, let the stronger swimmers overtake me, and follow them. However, those are going to be more likely to be the aggressive swimmers. ***Edited to add additional thought....it also might be good to be following strong swimmers. Less sighting I have to do. But I don't want to push myself too hard attempting to draft with people who swim significantly faster. Appreciate any thoughts you all have. Sandi

It's hard to say what wave you should be in because there's no indication of how fast each wave will go. There will always be people who think they should be in the 1st wave when they really should be in the 3rd wave. Do they give you estimated finishing times for each wave? I've been to races where participants self select their wave based on predicted finish time.

Personally I find it easier to pass slower swimmers than be passed. Passing swimmers tend to kick and push whereas overtaking a swimmer means you can see them up ahead and move around them at your leisure. If your overall time is a concern, then definitely start out front. Overtaking slower swimmers will slow you down.

As far as drafting goes, you should be able to find someone swimming the pace you are swimming at. If you can't, try drafting the faster swimmers as they pass by you for a few seconds then easing back to your comfortable effort until someone else passes you. You might gain a little time without pushing too hard (as long as you don't try to accelerate to draft someone moving a lot faster than you).

My strategy in triathlons is to not focus on my time so much for the two weaker events (swimming and running for me). I go at a steady but comfortable pace in the water, use the bike to make up any time and gain some back, and then put in a nice steady run (until the last 500m, then it's balls to the wall). 

Also, if you were feeling that confident last year, you should do this year whatever you would have done last year. You know you're capable of it since you were willing to give a go last year. You can't overcome discomfort unless you go beyond your comfort level, IMO. 

Edited by adempsey10 2015-07-08 2:51 PM
2015-07-08 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Had a good run followed by my last pool swim before my race this weekend. Still undecided on wetsuit or not...think I need to buy a sleeveless. My wife just bought one and loves it. Of course it is her first wetsuit so nothing to compare it to. lake temps running around 65-70. Last year went without seemed okay but...

About a 5.5 hour drive so going to my sister's house tomorrow night(Calgary). Hoping to get a ride in tomorrow night in Calgary with my son(his first real ride since crash). Off to Invermere crack of dawn to hopefully get in another short bike and swim as well as beer purchases. Going to try out a new ISA for pre race beers, as well as picking up some beers from BC, not available in Alberta.

2015-07-08 3:48 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
So much to catch up on just from today but two most important things:

Juan Would LOVE to meet up when you're in Boston!

Thor Kick some tail this weekend!!! I vote wetsuit at those temps - YIKES! I got in my friend's pool on Sunday, the thermometer said it was 78, and it was cold. Cold enough that my daughter's lips were purple for like a half hour after she got out. (Why do kids always get purple lips in cold water, and why do they seem so immune to the cold? )
2015-07-08 3:52 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-in Long time no post. Life has been impacting my workouts too.. There was a stretch where I was really beating myself up for not getting in my workouts. It's not that I didn't want to, it's that life got in the way. I think that's more frustrating than just being lazy. So as I mentioned before, I'm on vacation this week. It's just me and the kids since my wife has to keep the fort down at her store. As the lone adult on the trip with 4 kids (ages 10 thru 15) I saw no reason why I couldn't use this trip to the beach to kickstart my training plan again...after all, I make the plans. I only have a few weeks to go, so this is a much needed restart.

Yesterday
Workout was 15.5 mile intervals across the bridge heading into Ocean City, NJ from Somers Point. It's about 2.5 miles long with a bike lane, so I just did it a bunch of times. I did a short brick run following this to keep the legs honest.

My other healthy exercise was:
3 mile calm bike ride on the boardwalk with my daughter.
3 mile beach walk with my other daughter.
Probably walking another 3 miles on the boards at night.

Today
5 mile run on the boardwalk. No shade, but a nice ocean breeze. The hot and humid run was probably good though since it's possible my August tri will be steaming. Nice to get some exercise done in the heat to prepare. I kept an eye on my heart rate too to see how the heat was going to impact me. I didn't spike it until the end when I decided to spike it.

As for additional healthy exercise.....more boardwalk walking is planned. These kids are gonna kill me. ;-)

I expect by the end of this week to be back on track with running and biking. Swimming will need to kick back in Tuesday since I go see Foo Fighters on Monday night.

Questions for the masses
1. With the hot humid bike rides and runs I've been doing, I'm trying to find the best way to keep the sweat and lotion out of my eyes. There's an added requirement that I not look like a dork (any more so than normal that is). So, I've been thinking about something like this. Does anyone have any experience with these? http://www.amazon.com/Headsweats-Performance-Running-Outdoor-Sports...

2. As for the bike ride, does anyone put something under their helmet to help out? My helmet has a wicking pad, but I'm a "leaker" so there are times it's not up to the task. Maybe if I generated more air to cool me off....

3. I'm with Gretchen on the bike maintenance. I have no idea what needs to be done or how to do it. I'll be fine for this upcoming Tri since my main bike is getting this vacation week off while I use the wider tire hybrid in the ocean air. I'm getting a better workout on the thing anyway since it's slower. I like the idea of a class where you learn how to take care of your bike. I'll see if the LBS where I bought my bike has one. If not, I'm not afraid to do the work, I just need to learn first. Can anyone recommend YouTube videos for the different maintenance tasks? I'm thinking everything....cleaning the bike, chain cleaning, tire changing, etc.
2015-07-08 4:11 PM

User image

Originally posted by adempsey10

It's hard to say what wave you should be in because there's no indication of how fast each wave will go. There will always be people who think they should be in the 1st wave when they really should be in the 3rd wave. Do they give you estimated finishing times for each wave? I've been to races where participants self select their wave based on predicted finish time.

Personally I find it easier to pass slower swimmers than be passed. Passing swimmers tend to kick and push whereas overtaking a swimmer means you can see them up ahead and move around them at your leisure. If your overall time is a concern, then definitely start out front. Overtaking slower swimmers will slow you down.

As far as drafting goes, you should be able to find someone swimming the pace you are swimming at. If you can't, try drafting the faster swimmers as they pass by you for a few seconds then easing back to your comfortable effort until someone else passes you. You might gain a little time without pushing too hard (as long as you don't try to accelerate to draft someone moving a lot faster than you).

My strategy in triathlons is to not focus on my time so much for the two weaker events (swimming and running for me). I go at a steady but comfortable pace in the water, use the bike to make up any time and gain some back, and then put in a nice steady run (until the last 500m, then it's balls to the wall). 

Also, if you were feeling that confident last year, you should do this year whatever you would have done last year. You know you're capable of it since you were willing to give a go last year. You can't overcome discomfort unless you go beyond your comfort level, IMO. 

Alan, overall time is less a concern than having a good experience--this is my first race since my sight was lost and it will really crush me if it's a bad experience. With that said, once I get into my swim groove/sweet spot, I'm there and am just generally a pretty solid swimmer...and I like being there and not having to constantly maneuver around other swimmers. This is why I was thinking initially that I'd go out front of the later/slower wave, I figure that those folks are by admission not strong or confident swimmers so I'm fairly likely to be at the front of the pack. But there's something to be said for drafting the faster swimmers too...particularly for sighting given the situation. I've only really just started thinking about the advantage of this.

Practically speaking, I should probably be most concerned about being kicked and what I need to do/strategy I should take to avoid this.

Sandi
2015-07-08 4:16 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Originally posted by Snewo Questions for the masses 1. With the hot humid bike rides and runs I've been doing, I'm trying to find the best way to keep the sweat and lotion out of my eyes. There's an added requirement that I not look like a dork (any more so than normal that is). So, I've been thinking about something like this. Does anyone have any experience with these? http://www.amazon.com/Headsweats-Performance-Running-Outdoor-Sports... 2. As for the bike ride, does anyone put something under their helmet to help out? My helmet has a wicking pad, but I'm a "leaker" so there are times it's not up to the task. Maybe if I generated more air to cool me off.... 3. I'm with Gretchen on the bike maintenance. I have no idea what needs to be done or how to do it. I'll be fine for this upcoming Tri since my main bike is getting this vacation week off while I use the wider tire hybrid in the ocean air. I'm getting a better workout on the thing anyway since it's slower. I like the idea of a class where you learn how to take care of your bike. I'll see if the LBS where I bought my bike has one. If not, I'm not afraid to do the work, I just need to learn first. Can anyone recommend YouTube videos for the different maintenance tasks? I'm thinking everything....cleaning the bike, chain cleaning, tire changing, etc.

1) I never put sunscreen on my forehead for that reason of lotion in my eyes. I run with a lycra running cap, essentially what you have linked. They work well. 

2) I recommend a cycling cap for under the helmet. Walz Caps makes excellent water wicking cycling caps that will fit up under your helmet. 

3) GCN (Global Cycling Network) has an excellent series of videos ranging from cleaning your bike to tune ups to learning how to ride in a pack. They're awesome videos and packed full of information. If you live in Canada, MEC does awesome basic maintenance courses that are usually free. 

2015-07-08 5:31 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sandi- are they doing self select by pace? That's what they did at a bunch of races here. They had signs of <1:20/100, <1:30/100 etc. I chose the pace I was planning to go. Honestly if I was doing it again I would probably choose 5-10 less than I planned to go as I passed a lot of people and ended right on the pace I chose.

It was actually a great race experience. I liked the swim a lot more than random age group heats. Although there were more people around me- since everyone at that pace was there. The heats had less separation though.

Do you have an idea of the pace you plan to swim?

2015-07-08 6:15 PM

User image

Originally posted by Moonrocket

Sandi- are they doing self select by pace? That's what they did at a bunch of races here. They had signs of <1:20/100, <1:30/100 etc. I chose the pace I was planning to go. Honestly if I was doing it again I would probably choose 5-10 less than I planned to go as I passed a lot of people and ended right on the pace I chose.

It was actually a great race experience. I liked the swim a lot more than random age group heats. Although there were more people around me- since everyone at that pace was there. The heats had less separation though.

Do you have an idea of the pace you plan to swim?

The event page says "All swim waves will be self select and will start in 3 to 5 minutes increments based on how many participants are in each category. By self select we mean that you decide what wave you want to go in. The system is designed to let the competitive swimmers go first, then the not so competitive swimmers. It provides a safe environment where nobody has to get swam over like some events have happen a lot. It works great, and allows both men and women that are faster swimmers to compete against each other. "

A blog I read referred to 3 waves in a prior event. A 3-5 minute increment SHOULD mean that there isn't a lot of catching up between waves, I'd think--at least at the pace I swim (I think I would not be passing a lot of slower swimmers in prior waves, or getting passed by faster swimmers in later waves than my own). Last year I was swimming ~1:45/100--but it was a shorter distance. Given that it's a sprint, my first race of the season, and my first race since losing my eyesight, I'm really not going into the swim with a goal or plan other than finishing comfortably. When I'm OWS, particularly racing, I focus on staying calm, even breathing, and I count strokes to occupy my mind and orient myself....I do not try to pass anyone or push myself, I just try to stay at an even pace that is comfortable and pass as needed. But now given my fear of being kicked, I do want to avoid swimming with a lot of people, so I'm actually trying to NOT swim around a lot of people at my own pace. Because of that, right now my inclination is to either go out last/back of the pack of the first wave, or first in the pack of the last wave. But I'm open to all thoughts/ideas to consider.

Sandi

Edited by sandishr 2015-07-08 6:26 PM
2015-07-08 7:22 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Veteran
Illinois

I'm visiting family this week, prior to starting the new job (and not getting any vacation for the next six months).  Yeah, this Southern Illinois weather is just horrid.  Rainy yesterday, 85 degrees, 98% humidity, and raining.  And today, the same.  Getting soaked in sweat and humidity in the first mile is great training even if it is horrible misery.

2015-07-08 8:11 PM

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Checking in-

Did about 4200m in the pool this morning. Pretty brutal workout. Last set of the day was something as simple as 8x25m on :30. People were dropping left and right. I almost called it quits but gritted the teeth and pushed through. For good measure, finished the last 2 doing butterfly. No Bueno.

Got home, hydrated up a little bit, and got a little calories in the system, then went out for a 5mi run. Between the heat and my legs killing me from swimming, it was a brutal run. I was having to push as hard as possible to hold around 10:30/mile. Had to sit in an ice bath when I got home to pull some lactic acid out so I can walk tonight.

Thermometer in my car on the way to run.

Hope everyone else had a good day!
2015-07-08 10:16 PM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

Expert
Killer Day everyone! We had almost 25 posts - and on a Wednesday at that! Nice work!

Speaking of killer days - I've been experimenting with my cadence and it seems to be paying off. Due to a crazy day - I didn't leave for my ride until nearly 8 PM - but I wanted to get in my 25 and was hoping to make it back before it got full dark. But I knew I had to get in some hills too - so I decided to ride to the north side of town where the toughest hill in the county is located.

Sidenote - I have named all the hilsl around here (there aren't many) after family members but I named this tall hill with almost 500 feet of gain after my wife Heidi - not only to honor her for her support but also because I have the brain of a 12 year old. "I'm heading off to do Heidi" "Heidi is one tough b#tch" You get the idea...

Anyway - I really pushed it hard riding up Heidi (I swear I can not stop and apologies if I offended anyone) and I made it to the top with an average speed of 16 - which is the fastest I've ever gone. What makes Heidi so tough is that the road rides through a major valley so the joy of coming down in short lived because it means you have more climbing to do. I got done and headed back towards town and started wondering if I could finish the 31 mile ride in less then 2 hours. With 1400 feet of gain - that's no easy feat. So, I put the hammer down for the last ten minutes. With 4 minutes to go, I was in an all out sprint... and I missed it by 7 seconds.... Ugh. So close. I figure if I drop 50 pounds, I'll be able to do it easily next year.

But the high cadence count seems to be helping. Any suggestions on how to refine it?? Right now I'm averaging 85 - 90. I don't have a counter and can't afford one but I just want to see if I can keep working on refining what seems like a very helpful skill.
2015-07-09 6:35 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Originally posted by sandishr [The event page says "All swim waves will be self select and will start in 3 to 5 minutes increments based on how many participants are in each category. By self select we mean that you decide what wave you want to go in. The system is designed to let the competitive swimmers go first, then the not so competitive swimmers. It provides a safe environment where nobody has to get swam over like some events have happen a lot. It works great, and allows both men and women that are faster swimmers to compete against each other. " A blog I read referred to 3 waves in a prior event. A 3-5 minute increment SHOULD mean that there isn't a lot of catching up between waves, I'd think--at least at the pace I swim (I think I would not be passing a lot of slower swimmers in prior waves, or getting passed by faster swimmers in later waves than my own). Last year I was swimming ~1:45/100--but it was a shorter distance. Given that it's a sprint, my first race of the season, and my first race since losing my eyesight, I'm really not going into the swim with a goal or plan other than finishing comfortably. When I'm OWS, particularly racing, I focus on staying calm, even breathing, and I count strokes to occupy my mind and orient myself....I do not try to pass anyone or push myself, I just try to stay at an even pace that is comfortable and pass as needed. But now given my fear of being kicked, I do want to avoid swimming with a lot of people, so I'm actually trying to NOT swim around a lot of people at my own pace. Because of that, right now my inclination is to either go out last/back of the pack of the first wave, or first in the pack of the last wave. But I'm open to all thoughts/ideas to consider. Sandi

If there is that much time between waves, I would put myself at the back of the first wave. No one in the second will have time to catch you and you can draft faster swimmers. If you go out in any other waves, stay at the front. 

2015-07-09 6:38 AM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17  But the high cadence count seems to be helping. Any suggestions on how to refine it?? Right now I'm averaging 85 - 90. I don't have a counter and can't afford one but I just want to see if I can keep working on refining what seems like a very helpful skill.

That's a great cadence range. A good way to increase cadence and pedalling technique is to do spin drills. Spin as fast as you can (without excessive bouncing) in an easy gear for 20 seconds. Rest 1 min and do it again. That'll help with overall leg speed. 

Edited by adempsey10 2015-07-09 6:38 AM
2015-07-09 7:25 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
The cadence thing is exactly what I'm working on too - to be more consistent and not get burned out for the run. My ride Monday hung at about 88 over 20 miles on rolling terrain.

So I'm heading to FitWerx next week to work with Ian to try and figure out my saddle issues. We'll go through my fit and also do pressure mapping. I wish I had done this from the get-go. He did tell me to think about if I want to be set up more for aerobars or hood riding....wah, I want both, I switch in and out constantly. LOL. I am reasonably comfortable now in aero but the saddle makes me scream when upright. LOL. He did mention that those with a bony butt (sorry, tmi) have a whole different set of issues than others. So, that being said, there is a possibility I may have a Cobb 55 JOF for sale soon, we shall see!
Iron Cowboy comes here tomorrow!!
2015-07-09 8:19 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by Qua17  But the high cadence count seems to be helping. Any suggestions on how to refine it?? Right now I'm averaging 85 - 90. I don't have a counter and can't afford one but I just want to see if I can keep working on refining what seems like a very helpful skill.

That's a great cadence range. A good way to increase cadence and pedalling technique is to do spin drills. Spin as fast as you can (without excessive bouncing) in an easy gear for 20 seconds. Rest 1 min and do it again. That'll help with overall leg speed. 

Cadence is my issue too (or one of them!). I have increased from an average of about 60 when I first started riding to an average of about 75-80 this spring/summer. I'd like to be up in the range of 85 when I hit my Oly in September.

I had a really great run this morning--one of those runs that makes you recall why you like this sport in the first place. A little over 3 miles with the dog, in a light fog/humidity cloud/rain where I was able to keep a good pace and my HR stayed where it was supposed to be (233/400). Later on I have another swim/lift dilemma.
2015-07-09 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Here's a pick of my Heidi's

(IMG_7585.JPG)

(IMG_6666.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_7585.JPG (149KB - 4 downloads)
IMG_6666.JPG (250KB - 4 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54795 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.