BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-10-22 10:42 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
jenn love the new bike!!!!!!! And the name is awesome

2015-10-23 7:10 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

DeLand, Florida
I am absolutely giddy over here - the new bike is AWESOME!!!! WANT!!!!!

So is the old one too btw, not sure if I've seen a pic of it.
2015-10-23 2:33 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

WOWZA, Jenn!!!!! Amazing!

Sandi

2015-10-23 5:58 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks Dave - everyone is busy today, and everyone of us wish to cross that finish line at some point in your sport life. I think it will be a good way to celebrate my 50th !!

Juan
2015-10-23 5:59 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
Madrid
Grrrrrreat bike! Now you have to be the one passing by the roadies!!
Congrats Jenn.
Juan
2015-10-24 6:58 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by Shakeybear

NAME: My Dad was always called Shakey, it is a shortening of our family surname. I'm Shakey (my brother never was,surprisingly) . My son is fondly called 'Bear' - so, here I am on here, Shakeybear.

STORY : Around 3 years ago I was completely unfit, my wife has always gone to the gym, and played competitive sports. I had got to a stage when I was struggling to run after a football in the park. I have never had a weight issue, but noticed my trousers getting tighter. So I joined the local gym. It is where my wife goes, I just went in after work and signed up. It was really difficult.
A work colleague had suffered a rather bad motorcycle accident, and was recovering, both physically and mentally. One evening he rang me and said he'd seen a cycle trip - Munich to VEnice, and asked me if I wanted to do it with him. I said yes. (maybe it was the bottle of Zinfandel talking).i didn't own a bike at the time and hadn't ridden for 30 years. But, I had been going to the gym for a couple of months, so how hard could it be?
It was really hard!
As things turned out he wasn't allowed to ride, but I completed the trip. It was the hardest physical thing I'd ever done - but I was hooked.
A trip across Italy followed, Venice to Lucca..
In January this year I signed up for my first sprint tri. I found an event the day before my 49th birthday.
First time in the pool, I managed about a length, before I thought I would die!
But, I joined the local tri club, and started to swim. After a couple of months I was almost getting it.
With great family support I set about some hard training. The first tri went okay, but what a fantastic experience.
My second followed a few months after.

FAMILY: I live in the UK with my amazing wife and two kids. I have an older daughter who lives near me.

TRAINING: I constantly smell of chlorine, I own more trainers than shoes, and non have proper laces. I swim twice a week with tri club. Spin classes are local too. I get great support from a member of staff at my local gym. I try to get on my bike once a week with a local cycle club.

PLANS: I have signed up for a mile swim in July next year, and a half marathon in October. My A race next year will be a HIM somewhere warm in September. I'll be adding some stepping stones along the way too.

I run my first HM tomorrow.

BEER. Peroni. I also have a passion for cooking Italian food.

WEIGHT: it was never about weight loss for me. It's been more about getting healthy, a lifestyle change. A challenge, and most of all friendships.

Hope this is okay DAve, and thanks for welcoming me

Let me officially welcome you Shakeybear! How did your half mary go?

Thanks for the welcome Dave.
The half m was a fantastic experience. I'd only done 10 in previous training, and to be honest the last 3 felt like I was going backwards!
10 months ago I wouldn't have considered running part of a mile, so an amazing sense of achievement.

I've signed up for a second next year

I've treated myself to a gait analysis, which showed serious pronation, particularly in the right side. New run shoes acquired. I love this sport........

2015-10-25 6:49 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

New user
Madrid
First ride with my new bike (QR kilo, Reynolds wheels) - still too uncomfortable in the aero position. After more than 20 years riding road bikes, this is a new position that will take some time to adapt.... I hope! But at least I´ve got the looks

Juan

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0107.jpeg (2836KB - 5 downloads)
2015-10-25 7:56 AM
in reply to: #5148268

User image

, Vermont
Awesome!! I still haven't been on mine - at the Lakehouse for a girl's weekend and the weather today is rain and wind. Tomorrow.....either in the road or the trainer but it will happen.
2015-10-25 8:01 AM
in reply to: #5148783

User image

DeLand, Florida
Juan - sounds awesome! I demand a pic
2015-10-25 8:07 AM
in reply to: #5148784

User image

DeLand, Florida
Totally settling in to run season. Another 5k yesterday, this one for my daughter's school. Cold (42F), little windy, couple steepish hills. Still managed a PR though, if only by 15 seconds. Inching ever closer to my ultimate goal time. 8th place overall, 2nd in my age group - first in my AG was 3rd overall. Yay old guys - haha.

Also something cool that I'm sure happens often, but I've never seen before - the overall winner was a woman. In the 30-39 age group too. Awesome! She beat out the cross country runners from the school and everything
2015-10-25 3:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Madrid
Here we go! For some reaon you need to download it rather than showing it directly.

Edited by Juancho 2015-10-25 3:19 PM

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0107.jpeg (46KB - 7 downloads)

2015-10-25 8:39 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Ok Juan - I want your bike too!!!!
2015-10-26 2:42 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

New user
Madrid
hahaha - let´s go for a ride and will change!
2015-10-26 4:30 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
Accepting new members?
2015-10-26 9:21 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Always, Autumn!!
2015-10-27 6:40 AM
in reply to: #5149135

User image

, Vermont
Question for y'all. An acquaintance of mine is a hardcore cyclist - cat 1 or 2 racer and once he heard about my new bike has offered up his Reynolds 44mm wheelset for $750 - one season of use. I know he races a lot, but can't tell you how many races exactly. Should I go this route or wait for some new Flo's (maybe 30's or 60's) to go on sale? I know Reynolds are really good.

2015-10-27 6:41 AM
in reply to: #5149166

User image

, Vermont
Hey Autumn, Dave Q is our mentor and he usually has folks do a little bio about themselves - look at his on page 1 for a template.
2015-10-27 1:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

molto veloce mama
Thanks! Here is a little about me:

NAME: Autumn or Fixie

STORY: After my second daughter was born in 2003 I started running to get back into shape. I had always wanted to do a triathlon, and quickly got bored with simply training to run, so I started tri training. I did a TON of tris between 2004-2007, including a HIM and some 10 hour tris. I cut waaaay back when I started skating with the Minnesota Rollergirls (drafted in 2007) since the two sports were tough to balance out (plus I was working full time, raising two kids as a single mom, and going through a divorce). Retired from derby in 2010, and focused on my career. Started grad school, got married to Joe (best guy ever), and resolved to not do anything competitive for a while (well, if you can count career and grad school as not competitive). It all resulted in a lot of great job opportunities, leading me to my current job which allows me the luxury of time to work out daily and a company culture that supports wellness and health. Decided it was time to dust off the tri bike and get my butt back into shape.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to an amazing guy, Joe, who also happens to ride all year round like me (we have been car-free for 8 years), is a bike mechanic by profession, has a degree in massage therapy, and makes a mean breakfast burrito (I know, I'm a lucky girl). We are raising my two awesome daughters (ages 14 and 12) who love being car-free and my eldest got her first 'inside bike' last year for her birthday (versus a bike that is okay to keep in the garage, house bikes are special).

CURRENT TRAINING: Getting back to it, doing 30 minutes of the 21 Day Fix program daily, plus bike commuting daily. Also doing 3 runs per week, 3 swims per week, and 2 bike trainer rides per week (OR, I let myself skip the trainer if I double my bike commute miles).

2016 Races: Tri-U-Mah Indoor tri, and also looking to do Oakdale Du, Manitou sprint, St. Paul sprint or oly, and Park Tool Du. And maybe the TC 10 Miler.

BEER PREFERENCE: I like to experiment and try new beers. That said, my preference is well made, clean beer, even when it is hopped to high heaven (hops cover up a lot of sins). Current favorite is Summit Horizon Red (and yes, I am biased). Other go to beers are Bell's Two Hearted, SNB Torpedo, and Surly Todd the Axeman. This time of the year I do start to enjoy porters and stouts more. Currently not drinking at all except for sensory testing at work (I am lucky enough to actually work in the beer industry. Worked at Northern Brewer during its growth years, worked at Surly for a while, and am now I intensely proud to work for Summit).

WEIGHT LOSS: Between 2003 and 2007 I lost over 60 lbs. Guess what? I need to do it again! This is the reason I am not drinking until I'm really able to get my training and nutrition plan dialed in. Since I am doing 21 Day Fix, my plan is to do 21 days on, and then on Day "22" do maintenance calories and have a beer, then right back onto the plan.

Edited by autumn 2015-10-27 1:23 PM
2015-10-27 2:56 PM
in reply to: autumn

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Welcome, Autumn!

Sunday was my most recent event, the Harvest half marathon with a beautiful course through wine country. Solid run and came in a few minutes faster than I expected. Passed on the wine tasting at the venue and instead celebrated with my usual post-event Racer 5.

In just a two short weeks I will be doing my longest event of the season: Morro Bay Olympic triathlon. Last year the swim conditions were bad however they adjusted the course which should keep us out of the channel. Hopefully the weather holds up!

2015-10-27 4:23 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

good luck mark! I'll be back in CA in Jan for star wars again.

Autumn- Welcome. If you worked at northern brewer then you have prob seen my name or talked to me on the phone at some point. Dead Ringer is about my favorite kit beer.

I have done almost nothing since my ironman. Started my weights stuff now and planning a run tomorrow. going to try for 6. I have a half marathon in a week and a half but I'm just not motivated for it.
2015-10-27 6:47 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

molto veloce mama
Originally posted by b2b14

Autumn- Welcome. If you worked at northern brewer then you have prob seen my name or talked to me on the phone at some point. Dead Ringer is about my favorite kit beer.

Ah, Dead Ringer! That was actually the first beer I ever brewed, back when it was called Three Hearted Ale. When we had to change the name I recommended Broken Hearted Ale since Two Hearted is an all time favorite in our house. I did help answer the phones for a spell (everyone did), but then I was in charge of keeping the lights on and the employees happy.

2015-10-29 1:15 AM
in reply to: autumn

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Hi Autumn, Welcome! I love the bio. You're about 155 pages of forum posts behind since we're now entering into the final few months of 2015, so let me see if I can summarize the past year for you: We came, we saw, we tri'd and we drank beer. There you go!

Dave (Qua17) is the ringleader here. He'll pop in shortly and introduce himself. As for the rest of us, you'll get the full spectrum. I'm a tri-newb this year, others are seasoned vets. Most are beer people, but a stray wine lover has snuck in. There are a group of insane morning people, they are nowhere near as normal as us night owls. In general, we're a hodgepodge of folks sharing a common interest. Welcome again.

Mark Good luck on your race. Are you racing on the 15th? That's my big day.

Check-In
Long time no post everyone. I've been keeping my training log up to date, but just silently lurking in the forum keeping up with everyone. I haven't really had much to post about. For the past 2 months I've been running....and running....and running. This is my first time following a training plan this closely. I see the benefit over free-form training now. Even for my Oly I strayed quite a bit. I see the mistake in that.

I have decided to not deprive myself of fuel for my runs and I think I may be the only person in history to put weight ON while training for a marathon. The first week after my race will be me jumping back on the wagon. I bet I'd run much faster without these extra pounds. Then again think of how much faster I'll go once it's off in the spring.

I'm 3 weeks from hitting for the cycle (for you baseball fans). 2015 was a year of trying new things and proving things to myself.

5K - Done
10K - Done
10 Mi - Done
Half Marathon - Done
Sprint Tri - Done
Oly Tri - Done
Marathon - Talk to me in 3 weeks

In about 3 weeks I'll have to come up with new goals for 2016. So far I've only signed up for one HM in April....it's tradition. I'll really have to put some thought into next year since I know I don't have the time to devote to training for a HIM or IM. I think I peak at about 7-8 hours a week. Life gets in the way if I try to go beyond that.

What are everyone else's plans for 2016? I remember seeing some HIM and IM folks out there.

2015-10-29 4:06 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

New user
Madrid
Dave - (and Autumm - welcome!!), I hope someday we can drink together a bottle of the redwine I make, it will another thing to add to your "to do" or "done" checklist.

Juan
2015-10-29 7:45 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Juancho

Here we go! For some reaon you need to download it rather than showing it directly.

Very nice, Juan!!! ( I finally got on a computer so I could see the downloads)
Yes, the positioning will take a bit to get used to - I agree!

The weather here has been garbage so I still haven't taken mine out yet - and frankly the pedals are so "tight" even with them on the easiest setting I have a hard time clipping out of them so I'm paranoid of not being able to unclip and buying the farm.
I have it up on my trainer (right next to me right now actually) but I don't feel like it's on the trainer tight for some reason. I have the trainer skewer on so it should hold it tight but I feel like there's a slight wobble to it compared to my road bike and I'm not sure what to make of that. I don't mind working the pedals to start getting some wear in there to make clipping easier but I hesitate to ride hard at all - not wanting to torque it too much. I'll play around with it some more and maybe do another comparison with my road bike to see if I'm just being paranoid.

On a sidenote - my private pilot student soloed on Tuesday! Yes, it's a pretty big deal (my ticket is riding on him not making a smoking hole...). For those with kids - imagine the first day of kindergarten and putting your 5 year old on the bus for the first time.....way worse than that. hahahaha.
2015-10-29 7:47 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by MOlsen

Welcome, Autumn!

Sunday was my most recent event, the Harvest half marathon with a beautiful course through wine country. Solid run and came in a few minutes faster than I expected. Passed on the wine tasting at the venue and instead celebrated with my usual post-event Racer 5.

In just a two short weeks I will be doing my longest event of the season: Morro Bay Olympic triathlon. Last year the swim conditions were bad however they adjusted the course which should keep us out of the channel. Hopefully the weather holds up!

Nice Mark, well done!! Good luck on the Oly!! I'll be praying for good weather for you!! So exciting!
I'm so happy to hear about more races going on - I feel like my season ended forever ago!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54823 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.