BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-10-30 1:28 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Hi all! Just spent over an hour catching up on posts.

Welcome to Autumn and Shakeybear!

Great job on the races Scott, John, MOlsen, everyone else My fried brain can't recall just now!!

I'm back in civilization (Cairo) after a month in the desert. Training was all runs/walks and yoga. Naturally, I had my biggest mileage month ever, so feeling good about that--up to workout #350 for the year. 400 is just around the corner!!! Tomorrow is a different kind of marathon: 36 hours of travel to get home, but it is so worth it! My wife already stocked up on "surprise" beers for me to drink on Sunday during football. I've been suffering through an Egyptian lager known as Stella-the tag line here is what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

2015-11-01 6:16 AM
in reply to: #5149866

User image

, Vermont
Welcome back!!
It's been fun hearing about your journey from 0/400 - you're almost there!!!

Ah, the beauty of the clocks turning back means I might actually become a morning person again! (At least for a couple of weeks...)
Is anyone racing this weekend? How great to score an extra hour of sleep right before a race?!
2015-11-01 7:26 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Checking in....so envious of everyone's run season. Sigh.

Five days post eye surgery...totally grounded for now. Don't even get to drink beer since I'm on painkillers. Hoping this is the last and I can start life up and really start adjusting to my new normal. Fortunately my eye surgeon "gets" it...she's running a 100 mile race this weekend.

Sandi
2015-11-02 4:07 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sandishr

Checking in....so envious of everyone's run season. Sigh.

Five days post eye surgery...totally grounded for now. Don't even get to drink beer since I'm on painkillers. Hoping this is the last and I can start life up and really start adjusting to my new normal. Fortunately my eye surgeon "gets" it...she's running a 100 mile race this weekend.

Sandi

Praying for quick and complete recovery for you and that next year you are enjoying the running race of your life. I love the term new normal. My wife and I use that in regards to our son and the effects he has from his TBI a decaade ago. I'm not going to say that everything is peachy - but being on the other side of the new normal makes it easier to see the gifts that he still gets to enjoy despite his injury. Best of luck - thinking about you!

2015-11-02 4:10 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi all! Just spent over an hour catching up on posts.

Welcome to Autumn and Shakeybear!

Great job on the races Scott, John, MOlsen, everyone else My fried brain can't recall just now!!

I'm back in civilization (Cairo) after a month in the desert. Training was all runs/walks and yoga. Naturally, I had my biggest mileage month ever, so feeling good about that--up to workout #350 for the year. 400 is just around the corner!!! Tomorrow is a different kind of marathon: 36 hours of travel to get home, but it is so worth it! My wife already stocked up on "surprise" beers for me to drink on Sunday during football. I've been suffering through an Egyptian lager known as Stella-the tag line here is what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Welcome home and congrats on coming so close to your goal of 400 workouts this season. Considering your travel schedule and the lack of tasty beers in Egypt to keep you motivated - you have done an amazing job this year. So proud of all you have accomplished. ANd I hope those beers that your kind wife bought were as good as just seeing her again.

2015-11-02 4:16 AM
in reply to: autumn

User image

Expert
Welcome Autumn! So glad to have you! There are a ton of great people in this group who are here to support you and get you back into Triathlon this year. Let us know how we can help support you. Two thoughts on your post - love the fact that you think so highly of Two Hearted. We can't get that in MA but it makes a trip to visit the inlaws worth it because I can stock up. In fact, I'm down to my last half case (sigh). Your hubby sounds like a winner...

Question - I'm going to try to start biking to work 3x a week and the logistics of making sure I bring everything with me is Daunting thanks to my ADD. Any suggestions on how you can be prepared so you don't leave anything at home?

2015-11-02 4:21 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Good Morning Everyne. Once again - I'm sorry for my spotty attendance. I've got a coors light (warm) waiting for me on the top of my fridge. For the new peers - a coors light penalty is something you earn when you screw up, miss a workout, or fall short of a goal. I haven't checked in for 2 weeks - so that's a CLP for me.

I'm trying to get back into the routine. A torn calf muscle and sore shoulder aren't helping. But I know this about myself that I find it tough to get into a routine but once I do I'm usually good to go. I refitted my hybrid bike and have made it my goal to bike to work 3x per week and will try to swim and aquajog on Tuesday and Thursday of this week. I also need to roll like it's my goal as the tightness in my calf and lack of ankle rotation is what causes this injury in the first place. Luckily I've got a PT appointment this Friday and they usally can cure what ails me. Unfortunately I also hve a 1/2 mary that I intend on doing despite not having run for 3 weeks. Looks like a lot of walking for me.

Onward!
2015-11-02 4:24 AM

User image

Expert
A question for the group and for Dave O - with all the new BDASers and with the holiday shopping season coming up, could we do another run of BDAS bike Jerseys? Is there any interest? Dave - would you mind posting a picture of the design we came up with thanks to all of your had work. Dave - how hard would it be to set up another order so we could have presents we could actually use under the tree.
2015-11-02 4:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I would be interested in doing another order. As much as I like the bike jersey version that I have I've been wanting one as a tri-top as well.

With my Oly coming up this weekend I did a brick workout on Saturday. Quickly learned that focusing on the run over the last couple of months (due to half-marathons) was at the expense of my bike legs! Hopefully I'll be able to keep up a strong bike pace out on the course this coming Sunday.

Edited by MOlsen 2015-11-02 4:20 PM
2015-11-02 8:33 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

I would be interested in doing another order. As much as I like the bike jersey version that I have I've been wanting one as a tri-top as well.

With my Oly coming up this weekend I did a brick workout on Saturday. Quickly learned that focusing on the run over the last couple of months (due to half-marathons) was at the expense of my bike legs! Hopefully I'll be able to keep up a strong bike pace out on the course this coming Sunday.

Go Mark Go!
2015-11-02 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
Checking in... Rode my bike into work this morning. First time I've pulled that off all year. Riding home in the dark made me feel like a bit of a bad@55. I'm gonna make it my goal to try to ride to work at least 2 times a week before now and when Daylight Savings Time begins - March 8.

I also recorded my calories and kept it under the minimum. Hoping to get to the pool tomorrow. My shoulder is still sore but worse case scenerio - I can still aqua jog.

PS - Anyone interested in creating a new Spotify playlist? I loved the last one.

2015-11-03 11:28 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Qua17

Checking in... Rode my bike into work this morning. First time I've pulled that off all year. Riding home in the dark made me feel like a bit of a bad@55. I'm gonna make it my goal to try to ride to work at least 2 times a week before now and when Daylight Savings Time begins - March 8.  

How far is your bike commute? I find that even my short 4.5 mile commute helps energize me and I'm more focused in the morning when I get to my desk.

On the nutrition front I've started making "overnight oatmeal" to bring for breakfast. It's a rather simple concept: mix oats, milk, yogurt, and frozen fruit in a small jar overnight. In the morning, a nutritious and filling breakfast that I can take with me. I'm still playing around a bit with ratios and ingredients, there are a bunch of recipes online. 

2015-11-03 1:05 PM

User image

I also love commuting by bike...super motivating and energizing and it keeps me going on the bike. Unfortunately I have Reynaud's so it is difficult to do in colder weather...and now with my eye it's just not safe to bike in the dark. I'm trying to figure out a way to still do it (once cleared for it medically), but I may be stuck on a trainer.

Dave--here's what I do. I keep a change or two of clothes in my office. That way I don't have to carry the clothes--the only "extras" might be rain gear I'd have to wear one way and not the other (and that may be less critical if your commute is shorter). If you've got access to a shower, I suspect a stash of the staples (towel/soap/etc.) kept at the office is probably a good idea, even if you don't always or even often need them. Then I think about anything or everything I need for the day. For me that's primarily food and hydration. What I find is that when I am able to plan like this, it's super helpful in keeping my calories/meal plan completely focused....my food is WITH me and it's that much more difficult to jump in the car and head to the nearest wherever for something more expensive (financially and calorie-wise) that is tempting. I'm also 2/3 of the way done with my meals/calories by the time I get off my bike and head into the house. And....it's kind of like "free" exercise/calories...I don't know how to explain it, but it feels less like a workout so I'm often able to add in another workout on those days...or especially in summer, extend my commute back FROM work into a full 1-1.5 hour training session.

But for me, the key is keeping everything at my office that I might otherwise wear or bring in a car, other than food/hydration. Laptops, paperwork, etc...

Sandi
2015-11-03 3:56 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Yes - Spotify v 2.0

Juan
2015-11-03 8:49 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

How far is your bike commute? I find that even my short 4.5 mile commute helps energize me and I'm more focused in the morning when I get to my desk.

On the nutrition front I've started making "overnight oatmeal" to bring for breakfast. It's a rather simple concept: mix oats, milk, yogurt, and frozen fruit in a small jar overnight. In the morning, a nutritious and filling breakfast that I can take with me. I'm still playing around a bit with ratios and ingredients, there are a bunch of recipes online. 

Mt commute is 9 miles each way. I figure I can add some miles on either end but for right now I'm happy was almost 20 per day. I agree about the increase in energy and focus, plus I can think of lesson plans to use as I pedelling so I save time on lesson planning.

The overnight oatmeal sounds good and I will have to give it a try - but one of the perks of working at a boarding school is that I get breakfast every morning. Today, in addition to my oatmeal and greek yogurt, I enjoyed some bacon. That's livin!
2015-11-03 8:54 PM

User image

Expert

I also love commuting by bike...super motivating and energizing and it keeps me going on the bike. Unfortunately I have Reynaud's so it is difficult to do in colder weather...and now with my eye it's just not safe to bike in the dark. I'm trying to figure out a way to still do it (once cleared for it medically), but I may be stuck on a trainer.

Dave--here's what I do. I keep a change or two of clothes in my office. That way I don't have to carry the clothes--the only "extras" might be rain gear I'd have to wear one way and not the other (and that may be less critical if your commute is shorter). If you've got access to a shower, I suspect a stash of the staples (towel/soap/etc.) kept at the office is probably a good idea, even if you don't always or even often need them. Then I think about anything or everything I need for the day. For me that's primarily food and hydration. What I find is that when I am able to plan like this, it's super helpful in keeping my calories/meal plan completely focused....my food is WITH me and it's that much more difficult to jump in the car and head to the nearest wherever for something more expensive (financially and calorie-wise) that is tempting. I'm also 2/3 of the way done with my meals/calories by the time I get off my bike and head into the house. And....it's kind of like "free" exercise/calories...I don't know how to explain it, but it feels less like a workout so I'm often able to add in another workout on those days...or especially in summer, extend my commute back FROM work into a full 1-1.5 hour training session.

But for me, the key is keeping everything at my office that I might otherwise wear or bring in a car, other than food/hydration. Laptops, paperwork, etc...

Sandi

Great advice as always Sandi! I'm still working out the kinks but I took your advice and left my computer at work so I don't have to haul it with me tomorrow. Now the trick will be to stay warm. Tomorrow it's supposed to get into the 30's.... But the founder of this group - BigDH - has one the BT Cold Weather contest 4 times. So I figure if he can do it, so can I.

When do you think you will get the green light from the doc?

2015-11-03 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
OK - I'm two for two in terms of eating well and exercising. Today I went to the pool before school and got in 45 minutes of aqua jogging. I tried to swim but my shoulder was still sore from sleeping on it wrong last week. Luckily I have a therapeutic massage this friday - hopefully he can get me back into gear. The funny thing was that I finally tried out the water proof headphones that my wife gave me for our anniversary in June. It turns out that while they are water proof, they won't work for swimming. Such is life. I guess that's another thing I can add to the Christmas list.

I hope everyone is doing well!
2015-11-03 9:46 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by aviatrix802
Ah, the beauty of the clocks turning back means I might actually become a morning person again! (At least for a couple of weeks...)
Is anyone racing this weekend? How great to score an extra hour of sleep right before a race?!

Yes OH YES!, it was joyous. Keep in mind that I'm one of the night owls in here. Waking up at 5:30am is just not in my blood. Given the fact that my body felt like it was really 6:30am really softened the blow.

2015-11-03 9:50 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania

A question for the group and for Dave O - with all the new BDASers and with the holiday shopping season coming up, could we do another run of BDAS bike Jerseys? Is there any interest? Dave - would you mind posting a picture of the design we came up with thanks to all of your had work. Dave - how hard would it be to set up another order so we could have presents we could actually use under the tree.

Hi Dave, After our initial order I asked them to put the website in reorder mode....in other words - it's been up the whole time.

http://shop.jakroo.com/BDAS

You can see the designs by clicking on the link.
2015-11-04 11:30 AM

User image

[ Tomorrow it's supposed to get into the 30's.... But the founder of this group - BigDH - has one the BT Cold Weather contest 4 times. So I figure if he can do it, so can I.

Green with envy here. :-) Good work!

Green light...will find out more in a couple of days but I'm probably at least a week away from even being cleared to walk the dog. :-( Still in a fair amount of discomfort which means inflammation which means things aren't very stable. Also means I'm on pain meds which = No Beer. THAT is the real tragedy.

Have been "taking advantage" of it though to put myself and hubby on the first couple of weeks of an elimination type diet, which I can't do when I'm working out. No alcohol, no sugar, minimal to no carbs, just lots of lean protein and vegetables. Hubby needs to lose 15-20 lbs and it's the best way to kick start him. And since I can't walk the dogs, he's had to. He's down 6 lbs! And I'm managing to maintain despite minimal movement and being on steroids, so at least I'm not going to be a blimp when this is over.

Sandi

2015-11-04 2:23 PM

User image

, Vermont

[ Tomorrow it's supposed to get into the 30's.... But the founder of this group - BigDH - has one the BT Cold Weather contest 4 times. So I figure if he can do it, so can I.

Green with envy here. :-) Good work!

Green light...will find out more in a couple of days but I'm probably at least a week away from even being cleared to walk the dog. :-( Still in a fair amount of discomfort which means inflammation which means things aren't very stable. Also means I'm on pain meds which = No Beer. THAT is the real tragedy.

Have been "taking advantage" of it though to put myself and hubby on the first couple of weeks of an elimination type diet, which I can't do when I'm working out. No alcohol, no sugar, minimal to no carbs, just lots of lean protein and vegetables. Hubby needs to lose 15-20 lbs and it's the best way to kick start him. And since I can't walk the dogs, he's had to. He's down 6 lbs! And I'm managing to maintain despite minimal movement and being on steroids, so at least I'm not going to be a blimp when this is over.

Sandi

You are so good, Sandi. I really hope this heals up quickly for you. I admire your strength and perseverance. Good job making other adjustments when you can't work out while you heal - you will be so happy you did. Congrats to the hubby on the 6 pound loss, that's great!

2015-11-04 2:39 PM

User image

, Vermont
Inaugural ride on Vader... holy smokes this will take some getting used to - such an aggressive position. Today I just rode in the neighborhood - there's a townhouse grouping nearby that is laid out in a circle so I just went and rode 5 miles worth of circles getting a feel for the bike and the "up-over-the-handlebars" feeling of this bike and shifting on the aerobars. Balance is huge I'm finding and if I even think about turning, the bike goes. It seems touchy but that's just because I'm so on top -or feeling in front - of the bike. I started to get the feeling of it but think I'll do the same thing again tomorrow before taking it out on the roads with traffic. Riding aggressive in aero makes me nervous on busy roads. I also need to get a flat kit for this bike. The bike shop gave me one when I bought the bike but it's generic so it would work on my roadie but the frame on the IA is too deep for the strap to fit around the seat post.
Such a head rush. I can't imagine ripping downhill in aero - that scares the hell out of me and clearly something I need to work on - and I like speed! hahaha
Also, it's a big sail with this deep of a frame. It will get interesting to ride this with any kind of wind....oooooo, new things to explore!

Hey! Road ID is having a big sale right now, up to 60% for the next 35 hours! I'm actually going to get id's for my boys to wear - at the very least they'll have our cell and home numbers (in case they forget them) attached to them and need to get in touch with us.

http://www.roadid.com/?referrer=8929&gclid=CjwKEAiA9uaxBRDYr4_hrtC3...

hopefully this link works if you're interested. I have the narrow band with my home #, hubby's cell #, sister's and brother's #'s on mine. I literally never take it off. It could be a good stocking stuffer for a kid?
Cheers all!
2015-11-04 3:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

30'S Man it is 69 today in NC. Heading to Florida Friday morning doing a half Saturday night, then staying for vacation till next Thursday. Still not in the groove after IM. Going to do a 3-4 mile run today, but I have to get motivated. I feel like a sloth. I have paid for IM Raleigh and money in bank for B2B. Figuring how to raise the money for IM Maryland and race with Dave.

Edited by b2b14 2015-11-04 3:08 PM
2015-11-05 4:14 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Jenn, I feel so relieved to hear that your first ride in your tri-bike was not an easy one! I thought something was wrong with me or my bike, but it seems a "global" experience. So similar to walk-run, I will do aero-non aero alternating until I get used to it.

Scott, interesting to go through these stages: mental power is amazing the weeks before your A race, and suddenly, it take forever to get going again!!

2015-11-06 3:46 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Juancho

So similar to walk-run, I will do aero-non aero alternating until I get used to it.

I noticed last week my back and shoulders were not very happy in aero when I did my brick (bike - run) workout. Not having a good long bike ride for almost 2 months was likely the culprit. When I was going on rides regularly I could stay in aero longer. Hopefully my back will be more accommodating this coming Sunday for my Oly!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54719 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.