BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-01-27 3:29 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Snewo, regarding core work, I use a free App (Training from Tribesports), it is quite good, let´s you track your improvements as well. I use not as much as I should, basically when I am on the road and lazy to workout at the hotel.

Today speed work on the treadmill (400m x 6 with 200m recovery in between) and then spinning class. Ready for the HM on Sunday!

Juan

2015-01-27 6:40 PM
in reply to: shackdogei

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by shackdogei

Alright so last week I got to 3/5 so I will be doing the CLP, just as soon as I can. Actually "ran" for the first time post foot surgery last fall on Sunday, and it felt pretty good...thanks is large part to the motivation from this group and knowing everyone is holding each other accountable.

Just finished 1400 in the pool, but I think I ruined it by eating lunch at Raisin' Canes (thats a chicken finger restaurant for the uninitiated) directly afterwards.

So 45 minutes down, 155 to go.

-Ryan

I will forgive the CLP for mentioning Raisin' Canes. I love their chicken, and fries, and bread, and sweet tea, and the dipping sauce. Ok, there's a reason I'm 280+ pounds.

Chris
2015-01-27 7:01 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Veteran
Illinois
The last few days have actually felt like training. Renewed my Trainer Road subscription, my sitbones are starting to hurt, my core hurts from squats, I'm doing flip turns horribly (but I'm doing them), and I just finished a 15 minute session on rollers for the first time. Rollers are awesome and suck at the same time.

Hope everyone is having a good time.
2015-01-27 7:13 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Just got home from playing racquetball with a friend. It was such a blast. It puts me at 30/400 for the year and 221/200 for the week! Today was a lot of fun trying new things, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna feel this in the morning...in a good way.
2015-01-27 8:38 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by Qua17

My workout summary - 3/5, unless we count downhill skiing. It's not exactly aerobic. But 6 hours of constant squats and ankle exercises were enough to build the LA levels up and leave my quads and calves sore! Even still that would only put me at 4/5. Illness, rolled ankle, calf strain, blah blah - all adds up to a CLP for me. I'm putting it in my sig until I drink it, to stay accountable for that too.

This week is a new week. New week, new challenge. Tonight before the snow starts I have a consult with a new Dr, then a short bike workout, then an hour of swim class.

John - It's your call but I think you deserve a pass on the CLP (coors lite penalty). You earn a warm coors for blowing off a workout, or for quitting a race (I've got a 3 year old silver bullet that I carry around in my workout bag... knowing how bad it would taste always gets me to the finish line ). Getting sick or injured if part of life/training and you take those missed workouts in stride. They are part of being a triathlete. In fact- working out when your injured is a bad way to train, which in my opinion would = a CLP.

However, if you think drinking a coors light will motivate you to get in those work outs in the future - then guzzle away.

Seriously - heal up!
2015-01-27 8:46 PM
in reply to: #5087841

User image

DeLand, Florida
Thanks Dave I appreciate the support. That's why I'm here.

Mirthfuldragon - sounds like you're having fun through the pain! I want to try rollers but I just think I'll fall over - how hard is it?

Gretchen - racquetball - awesome!! What a great and fun competitive way to get some hardcore aerobics in.

For me 59/200 mins. More PT exercises longer and more focused foam rolling (OW!), longer plank (who knew I could last 1:30?), side plank, some kicking exercises. If I can't get out of the house tomorrow I'm running stairs in the house!

2015-01-27 8:51 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I'm sitting (gingerly!) at 161/200 for the week! This morning I did my first ever spin class. It was pretty fun and a nice change of pace. I may go back. This weekend they are having a Spin120 class, which is 2 hours long, so I may hit that because I need a long bike workout and 2 hours on my trainer would probably put me in the looney bin! That was workout 28/400, 29/400 was immediately after--1200 yds in the pool. I was very close to a bonk--back to back workouts with nothing in between on no breakfast. One day I will figure out nutrition, today was not that day. After teaching my classes today, I'm headed back to the gym for racquetball with a friend. Looks like 200 will be done tonight!

Hope everyone is having a good time training! Stay safe Northeasterners!!!

Gretchen - Outstanding job! 3 workouts in one day will do you well for all your goals! Keep it up.

A thought about nutrition - I was always of the mind that it was better not to eat before a workout because that ensured I would burn fat, which for most of my life has been a goal. But my coach/PT has been working to change the way I view food. Instead of calories - he tells me to see food as fuel for my workouts. By eating, you give your muscles what they need to work well and you get in a better workout. Plus, injuries happen when your tired - so think of a banana or some other healthy snack as a way to avoid injury. Just a thought.

Congrats once again on the workouts. You are born again hard!
2015-01-27 9:00 PM
in reply to: jayforster

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jayforster

Wonder if I can join this group?

Background

Did first Sprint Tri last June with my 21 year old son and finished near the end of the pack. Had a bet with my son that he would not beat me by more the 40 minutes and loser would buy a bottle of bourbon for the winner. Well good news is he beat me by only 38 minutes so he purchased me a nice bottle of Knob Creek.

Been running for 3 to 4 years, 5 k and 10 k lengths

Plan for this year include the same Sprint tri and same bet with my son.

Have 2 other sprint tris on the mental schedule, but have not signed up yet.

Taking an advanced swim class on Tuesday nights, we average 1500 yards and swim at least 2 other times per week.

I have been taking spin classes 2 times per week

No much running being done at this time.

I do like Beer it is a great thing, I really do not have any brand loyalities but have been liking the rash of IPA from various small breweries in the nation. Some I like better than others.

Jay - there is always room.... Clearly you did your job as a father as your son clearly knows his Bourbon As a dad with a son who is now beating me - we need to work together to get faster. Can't let these whipper snappers get too cocky!

Seriously, we are glad to have you!
2015-01-27 9:08 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
I'm proud to report that, like John, I survived Juno - the storm that dumped 30 inches of snow on Massachusetts and other parts of the Northeast. I spent more than 3 hours shovelling, and while I will only count 90 minutes towards the 200 minute challenge, my back and shoulder felt every minute of it. I'm hoping I can get out and get a swim in tomorrow. With a second snow day - I should be able to make it happen.

Two things:
1) This group is awesome. It's taken me the better part of an hour to get caught up on 2 days of posts. Keep it up people! Something special is going on here!

2) On monday I asked that each of you to write a post in which you bragged about yourself. I haven't seen enough bragging and there is a lot to be bragging about. Revel in your greatness. Be proud of what you are doing. And take a moment to write a post in which you shout from the rooftops and let everyone know how awesome you are.
2015-01-27 9:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
40/200 for the week. Great workout for me today in the pool. 1200 meters/40 minutes.

I used mirthfuldragon's advice to work on form and used the pull buoy to leave my legs out of the equation. My form was good, even when I was tiring. For the first time I was able to do the whole swim in freestyle. The first 800 was in 22 mins which is my best so far and I did stop to take a couple of breaths, so I can definitely improve on that. 20 should be doable is the very short term. Boy are my shoulders feeling it (in a good way).

If anyone is looking for some freestyle form advice, I've found this set of 5 videos helpful. Way back when I learned to swim, I would do an "S" with my hand underwater. These videos talked me into modifying my stroke ever so slightly to get more power (at least it felt that way for the first time today). Maybe I needed the pull buoy to really help me focus on what I was trying to do. I'm no expert, your mileage may vary, all I can say is that it feels good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQpF_mmg44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsgZX2oD9CY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZO738a8WQw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMFxYDPkqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUWAZo-03u0

So the question I need to find the answer to next is: Are my legs using their energy so poorly that I'm actually better off without them? If so I'm gonna have to fix that. I'll guess I'll find out next swim as I see if I can maintain my form without the buoy.

Any other night exercisers out there? I'm just not a morning person. From 8:30 - 9:30PM all 6 lanes are open for lap swim. ;-)

Edited by Snewo 2015-01-27 10:57 PM
2015-01-28 8:04 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I think Chris is a evening workout guy...

As for you kicking question...I use my kicking for stabilizing and balancing out my stroke. I am sure there is more technical terms but you need to get it into beat.

www.swimsmooth.com is a good resource as well.

Originally posted by Snewo 40/200 for the week. Great workout for me today in the pool. 1200 meters/40 minutes. I used mirthfuldragon's advice to work on form and used the pull buoy to leave my legs out of the equation. My form was good, even when I was tiring. For the first time I was able to do the whole swim in freestyle. The first 800 was in 22 mins which is my best so far and I did stop to take a couple of breaths, so I can definitely improve on that. 20 should be doable is the very short term. Boy are my shoulders feeling it (in a good way). If anyone is looking for some freestyle form advice, I've found this set of 5 videos helpful. Way back when I learned to swim, I would do an "S" with my hand underwater. These videos talked me into modifying my stroke ever so slightly to get more power (at least it felt that way for the first time today). Maybe I needed the pull buoy to really help me focus on what I was trying to do. I'm no expert, your mileage may vary, all I can say is that it feels good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQpF_mmg44https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsgZX2oD9CY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZO738a8WQwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMFxYDPkqs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUWAZo-03u0So the question I need to find the answer to next is: Are my legs using their energy so poorly that I'm actually better off without them? If so I'm gonna have to fix that. I'll guess I'll find out next swim as I see if I can maintain my form without the buoy. Any other night exercisers out there? I'm just not a morning person. From 8:30 - 9:30PM all 6 lanes are open for lap swim. ;-)

2015-01-28 8:14 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by thor67

I think Chris is a evening workout guy...

I am the most anti-morning person you will ever meet. I've always been a night owl. I do respect you guys that are 4:30 am workout types. I just think you're crazy.
2015-01-28 8:18 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I still have not made it to the gym since getting home, but I am going to still try to reach the 200 minutes by Sunday. I teach swim lessons, and each evening this week I have one, so I have no excuse not to get a workout in since I will already be there. Reaching 200 minutes is great motivation!

I think a weight loss challenge is a good idea for February! I would love to lose about 5 lbs by the end of February (I actually lost a few while in Vegas, but I think some of that was muscle so my weight may go up a little before it goes down once I am back in the gym).

My dad owns a sign shop (full service, so they can get tshirts as well). He is actually on the verge of selling it, but if we get a design idea in soon we could probably get a good deal on some shirts. I know the guy that is buying it as well (he is one of my dad's employees), so we could probably still get a deal regardless. If someone is able to get a design done, I am happy to reach out to either of them!

I like the brags I have heard so far. Gretchen, I especially like that you signed up for a race already, I think that will be great motivation! I actually had a hard time thinking of a brag thanks to my vacations. I guess mine will be that even with travelling a lot, I have been able to stay in decent shape, and more than ever feel the motivation to get back into my routine. I have also joined this awesome group, which will help keep me encouraged!

I will have a better brag next month!
2015-01-28 8:55 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

My dad owns a sign shop (full service, so they can get tshirts as well). He is actually on the verge of selling it, but if we get a design idea in soon we could probably get a good deal on some shirts. I know the guy that is buying it as well (he is one of my dad's employees), so we could probably still get a deal regardless. If someone is able to get a design done, I am happy to reach out to either of them!

Nicole - Your post brings up a good question - would the members of the group prefer a bike jersey or a tee shirt?

My vote would be to get a bike shirt made.

Thoughts?
2015-01-28 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
I'm laying around - enjoying my snow day and I've got no motivation...

Gonna promise the group that I will make it to the gym for a swim and some aqua jogging. Either that - or I'll be drinking Coors with supper tonight.
2015-01-28 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by nicole14e My dad owns a sign shop (full service, so they can get tshirts as well). He is actually on the verge of selling it, but if we get a design idea in soon we could probably get a good deal on some shirts. I know the guy that is buying it as well (he is one of my dad's employees), so we could probably still get a deal regardless. If someone is able to get a design done, I am happy to reach out to either of them!
Nicole - Your post brings up a good question - would the members of the group prefer a bike jersey or a tee shirt? My vote would be to get a bike shirt made. Thoughts?

I am good with either but maybe a compromise would be a tech tee or long sleeve?

2015-01-28 10:43 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
So sitting at 114/200 so far this week. (Bike trainer last night and a run this morning)

My vote is for a bike jersey but I would be happy with any of the options.

By brag is I have been on track from a fitness and nutrition standpoint since I started on Jan 5th. As a result I have put up some good numbers so far this month and I am not done yet for Jan. Also I weighed in this morning at 242 lb. I am down 12 lb since Jan 5th. And the weight is coming off at a fairly consistent pace.

January's totals
Swim: 2h 49m - 6350 m Bike: 5h 27m 45s - 88.67 KM Run: 3h 11m 50s - 20.44 KM Strength: 1h 37m Aerobics: 37m
2015-01-28 11:50 AM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
281/200 for the week; 31/400 for the year...2000yd swim this morning. This feels like the first real swim I've done this year--strong, fast, and by the end dead tired.

I received this link in an email this morning on core workouts for triathletes. I haven't done it yet, but it covers the basics as far as I can tell.
http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/6-Core-Exercises-That-Will...
2015-01-28 11:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by nicole14e

Nicole - Your post brings up a good question - would the members of the group prefer a bike jersey or a tee shirt?

My vote would be to get a bike shirt made.

Thoughts?

I'm more likely to buy and wear a tech t-shirt than I would be a bike jersey.

Edited by drfoodlove 2015-01-28 11:54 AM
2015-01-28 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Jan 1- 256
Jan 8- 250
Jan 15 - Missed
Jan 23 - 246
Jan 28- 240.8

Well there is my brag DQ, Workouts are not where I want them to be, but a combination of some workouts, eating better, and a wicked flu that ripped through the household I am down 15lbs so far! Looking good to earn 80 bucks on the resolution weight loss challenge at work!

I could definitely put that money towards a BDAS bike jersey!

2015-01-28 1:53 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Expert
Update: A swim will not happen today but I've earned a CLP pass.

I never even made it out of "my driveway", which is a 300 yard dirt road that had been ploughed. I made it halfway and then got caught in some snow that had blown across the path. It took more than an hour but we got it out. So, I'm going to count the shoveling and pushing that it took as my workout. Pi$$ed that I missed my workout by life got in the way. grr! And what makes it worse - I messed up the grill on the front end. Looks like I a new car is in my immediate future.

Beer club tonight. Best beer in a can costing under $3.00 I'm bringing Heady Topper (best double IPA on the east coast) and Resin by Six Point Brewing in New York. Right now - to celebrate my victory of getting my car out - I'm drinking a No Limits Hefe by Two Roads - my new favorite brewery.

Don't forget to vote - BDAS bike jersey or tech t.

2015-01-28 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by justinfss

Jan 1- 256
Jan 8- 250
Jan 15 - Missed
Jan 23 - 246
Jan 28- 240.8

Well there is my brag DQ, Workouts are not where I want them to be, but a combination of some workouts, eating better, and a wicked flu that ripped through the household I am down 15lbs so far! Looking good to earn 80 bucks on the resolution weight loss challenge at work!

Outstanding!

Attachments
----------------
download.jpeg (9KB - 3 downloads)
2015-01-28 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by justinfss

Jan 1- 256
Jan 8- 250
Jan 15 - Missed
Jan 23 - 246
Jan 28- 240.8

I could definitely put that money towards a BDAS bike jersey!

Outstanding loss. Way to keep it going.
2015-01-28 1:59 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Jeakins
By brag is I have been on track from a fitness and nutrition standpoint since I started on Jan 5th. As a result I have put up some good numbers so far this month and I am not done yet for Jan. Also I weighed in this morning at 242 lb. I am down 12 lb since Jan 5th. And the weight is coming off at a fairly consistent pace.

January's totals
Swim: 2h 49m - 6350 m Bike: 5h 27m 45s - 88.67 KM Run: 3h 11m 50s - 20.44 KM Strength: 1h 37m Aerobics: 37m

With weightloss like yours and Jared's we should have our own version of the Biggest Loser. Instead of sitting on the coach eating ice cream - we could be sucking down some of our tasty beverages! Keep it up!
2015-01-28 2:02 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
267/200 for the weekly challenge. Now if I can keep this up.

74 days until my HIM. Creeping up fast. I think I could stumble through it today just real uncomfortable. My run will still be weak but I may be able to run at least half of it come April.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54655 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.