BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-01-28 2:08 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
With the new electric trainer giving me accurate power readings I now see how good training with power can be and what the hype is. By looking at my watts I can see my effort and where it needs to be. I could see how valuable this would be on a longer race so you don't burn out the legs and body. This has me seriously contemplating getting a power meter. Is this something I can get away with being used?

2015-01-28 2:24 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I am not sure about the used power meter, but can you adopt me?

• Florida living
  • Awesome triathlon toys
  • No Snow
  • No brutal hills to run/bike up

Originally posted by Burd With the new electric trainer giving me accurate power readings I now see how good training with power can be and what the hype is. By looking at my watts I can see my effort and where it needs to be. I could see how valuable this would be on a longer race so you don't burn out the legs and body. This has me seriously contemplating getting a power meter. Is this something I can get away with being used?

2015-01-28 3:14 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I'm fine with whatever shirt! I said tshirt b/c I didn't read closely, but lord knows I really don't need anymore tshirts!
2015-01-28 4:47 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

DeLand, Florida
Before I get to anything else Dave you definitely get a pass on a CLP for wrecking your car on the way out of the driveway to a workout and spending an hour to shovel it out! Holy crap!

And second to that - I HATE YOU for having the Topper. LOL. That is all. This beer is so elusive that you need to be on multiple twitter feeds of the delivery drivers in the towns surrounding the brewery in Vermont, just to get a hold of a few cans. So much so that locals have made a living buying it and selling it on ebay at a profit. And yet it seems everyone I know has tried it. I've never even seen an empty can :D

On the vote - 1st bike jersey
2nd tech tee
distant 87th cotton t-shirt

Still trying desperately to get out of the house to the gym tonight. I've lost hours of work the past couple days just clearing the house, mailbox, and fire hydrant out and I'm trying to make up for it (yeah I know, get back to work instead of posting here!). Seriously the piles of snow the plows put on top of the hydrant are taller than me.
2015-01-28 6:09 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Long sleeved tech t.
2015-01-28 8:00 PM
in reply to: #5088222

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Vote: Jersey or Tech T. I don't care either way (although, the T will be way cheaper)

Brag: I went from walk/run and feeling really tired after 25min in Dec. To running a solid 30min, with 3 tempo runs in it. BOOM!

2015-01-28 8:45 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

The last few days have actually felt like training. Renewed my Trainer Road subscription, my sitbones are starting to hurt, my core hurts from squats, I'm doing flip turns horribly (but I'm doing them), and I just finished a 15 minute session on rollers for the first time. Rollers are awesome and suck at the same time.

Hope everyone is having a good time.

Way to go on everything! I can't do flip turns... or ride on rollers... or do squats so my core hurts. So I'm impressed.
2015-01-28 8:46 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Qua17

A thought about nutrition - I was always of the mind that it was better not to eat before a workout because that ensured I would burn fat, which for most of my life has been a goal. But my coach/PT has been working to change the way I view food. Instead of calories - he tells me to see food as fuel for my workouts. By eating, you give your muscles what they need to work well and you get in a better workout. Plus, injuries happen when your tired - so think of a banana or some other healthy snack as a way to avoid injury. Just a thought.

Congrats once again on the workouts. You are born again hard!

I really like this (about the snack).
2015-01-28 8:53 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Definitely hit 200 minutes today... ran 8 miles on the treadmill, 6 on the schedule and 2 to make up for my shortened long run on Monday. Hope I can run outside tomorrow... it won't be too cold and only 3 miles, so I should be able to string together 3 miles of stuff that isn't too icy.
Glad to hear everyone's getting shoveled out from the snowstorm!
I'm all about a weight loss challenge. When I'm running I spend about half my time thinking about how if I lose 20 lbs that's 40 seconds per mile faster on marathon day. But when I'm eating I'm like "cheese! And brownies!"
2015-01-28 9:11 PM
in reply to: #5088256

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Thought this article might help those of you that travel (or are very busy). http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/05/training/how-to-fit-in-your...

I also forgot.... Feb weight loss sounds perfect.
2015-01-28 10:07 PM
in reply to: #5088280

User image

Extreme Veteran
I vote tech tee, but I'd be in for a bike jersey if that wins the vote.

My biggest advice on flip turns is to practice them freestyle in and just flip straight over and come up swimming backstroke. I coached for a little while and getting the solid straight over flip tends to help a lot. Then once you have that down just get a really good streamline and push off like you're going to do backstroke but twist onto your belly before you surface. Eventually you can plant your feet 45 degrees to migrate a bit of the spin into the approach.

I had a great workout doing a spin class today. If I count walking and stretching I'm 148/200. I didn't think I'd be this close, but I might make it even before the weekend so I can ski!
I also saw 134 on the scale today- need to hold the progress and knock off 5 more!

2015-01-28 10:18 PM
in reply to: #5088295

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a question for the group. Next week is supposed to be my recovery week. However, I know the following week I have to travel for work. The meetings I'm going to are 8am through late dinner meetings - so very limited workout time.

So, I'm temped to skip a week ahead in my plan next week for a build week and use the recovery week the following week during my trip. I've done this before in previous years - and it seems to work better than the alternative. What are your thoughts?
2015-01-28 11:45 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
I have a question for the group. Is it possible to be associated with two mentor groups? I would like to expand my BT friendships and experiences but I am also a member of the Manatee group too. If that is a conflict I understand.

If accepted I will post up my bio.

I also noticed that this group has the hardest and narrowest bar stools ANYWHERE! And what is up with placing the bathroom 5Km away? I suppose its better than on the other side of the pool, because most of us would only get about waist deep and then turn around (quickly).

Cheers.

Troy
2015-01-29 6:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

My question is why do flip turns at all. In most cases you are slowing yourself down if you are doing a pool swim race. For the time spent perfecting, you could probably increase your swim speed first!

Kate, I would absolutely switch it up the weeks. I think being flexible with our training is what can make or break our training especially those with busy work scheds or families.

2015-01-29 7:57 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Moonrocket

I have a question for the group. Next week is supposed to be my recovery week. However, I know the following week I have to travel for work. The meetings I'm going to are 8am through late dinner meetings - so very limited workout time.

So, I'm temped to skip a week ahead in my plan next week for a build week and use the recovery week the following week during my trip. I've done this before in previous years - and it seems to work better than the alternative. What are your thoughts?

I think that is definitely a good alternative, especially if it has worked for you in the past. I would maybe do a recovery day before you start the build so your body has at least a little opportunity to recover. That being said, I have not ever followed a strict training plan for a triathlon, so I'm not sure if there is something more to it that taking that recovery week would be extra beneficial. In college though, we never really got recovery weeks until we were tapering, so I think you should be fine.
2015-01-29 8:10 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by thor67

My question is why do flip turns at all. In most cases you are slowing yourself down if you are doing a pool swim race. For the time spent perfecting, you could probably increase your swim speed first!

Because they look cool. Also, I didn't realize how much air I was taking in at the wall turns - so 1x100 was actually more like 4x25 on 2s rest. The oxygen debt makes the sets a lot harder, and that's going to make me a better swimmer. Run like runners, ride like cyclists, and swim like swimmers.

Now if only I could get my butterfly to look decent. . .

2015-01-29 8:26 AM

User image

Hello everyone. I'll try to catch up. As for shirts I'm good with either. I am sitting at no workouts this week and not allowed to workout till at least the 3rd. Sounds like most are doing well with workouts (even if we are battling sick children, snow and a trip to vegas). I may start doing some core work, but as I cant get my arm wet I don't really want to break a sweat as bathing is a chore.

Surgery Monday went well. Doc told my wife that it was the most tissue he has ever had to remove and he could not believe my symptoms were not worse. Guess if it's worth doing it's worth doing right I have to keep my arm elevated. Just been watching Justified for a few days which has me wanting a good bourbon and maybe a cowboy hat. Hope y'all are doing well.
2015-01-29 8:28 AM

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Great swim this morning. I pushed it for the entire distance of freestyle non-stop. 1000 m in 23 min. That's 2m 17s/100 m sustained for 1000m Pretty happy with that.

137/200 m I guess having a fast swim doesn't really help my challenge

Question for the experienced members. At the side of the posts you see your post count, a category (beginner, expert, veteran etc.) and stars. What are the stars and what are the thresholds for the different categories?
2015-01-29 8:40 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by b2b14

Hello everyone. I'll try to catch up. As for shirts I'm good with either. I am sitting at no workouts this week and not allowed to workout till at least the 3rd. Sounds like most are doing well with workouts (even if we are battling sick children, snow and a trip to vegas). I may start doing some core work, but as I cant get my arm wet I don't really want to break a sweat as bathing is a chore.

Surgery Monday went well. Doc told my wife that it was the most tissue he has ever had to remove and he could not believe my symptoms were not worse. Guess if it's worth doing it's worth doing right I have to keep my arm elevated. Just been watching Justified for a few days which has me wanting a good bourbon and maybe a cowboy hat. Hope y'all are doing well.

Glad the surgery went well! Heal up!
2015-01-29 8:53 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Great run this morning for me (2.87mi) with the dog. I don't know if it was because she was antsy, having missed her fetch session yesterday, or I was going too hard because I left my HRM at the gym yesterday, but it was fast. I felt great doing it though, so I'm not worried. I guess the other alternative is that Mapmyride and my garmin GPS track distance differently, but I checked the garmin against MMR when I first got it and the difference over several trials was negligible. This one puts me at 320/200min and 32/400 workouts. Teaching all day today, which my fitbit loves--always over 15K steps on teaching days and then racquetball clinic tonight with a friend. We loved playing so much on Tuesday that we set another date to play again and then decided we needed to learn how to suck less.

Stars--they are counters of the number of posts. If I remember correctly, you get a star for every 50 posts and then they change color at some point indicating they are worth 100 posts, or something like that. There was a thread in TT a few months ago about this, but I couldn't find it. Searching for "stars" produced a LOT of responses.
2015-01-29 8:55 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Because they look cool. Also, I didn't realize how much air I was taking in at the wall turns - so 1x100 was actually more like 4x25 on 2s rest. The oxygen debt makes the sets a lot harder, and that's going to make me a better swimmer. Run like runners, ride like cyclists, and swim like swimmers.

I'm faster when I do flip turns, even though my flip turns are ugly. I think I spend too much time on the wall when I try open turns--so 4X25 on 2s rest sounds much like me when I do open turns. Oxygen deficit definitely describes laps when I'm using flip turns too.

2015-01-29 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska

"Because they look cool." Heck yeah!!!
I never felt like I belonged in the pool, until I taught myself how to flip turn.

I just found some YouTube vids on how to do it, and practiced a lot. I think my turns are a little wonky, but they work for me. I didn't like being upside down when kicking off the wall (water in nose), and I rotate onto my stomach as I flip. I might try to clean that up, as I'm sure it's slower the way I do it.
2015-01-29 10:56 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Scott - glad to hear all went well and you're on the mend. Heal up soon.

Gretchen you are going to win motivated athlete of the year. Which is an award I just made up but seriously - lots of different workouts around a hectic schedule. Rock on!

All this talk about flip turns and swimming form and oxygen debt... Always wanted to learn flip turns SOLELY because they look cool. I never considered the breathing time I'd be losing out on. Plus my wife keeps reminding me that there are no flip turns in open water Always thinking practical, that one. All the stuff on form though - I can use as much help here as I can get. Haven't done a single tri, I've spent way more time in the water than on two wheels, and yet my swim is by far my worst discipline. I don't want to get faster, I want to make it easier. I can swim a fast (for me) 100 (1:50). But then I won't be able to complete another 100 after a rest. I keep trying to slow down but I'm at the point where I'm not going too much slower according to the clock, yet I feel like I'm going to sink. It's like like I'm a new runner training for a 5k by sprinting 100m and trying to work up to sprinting a 200, then go up from there. Basically, I'm never gonna get there doing it this way...
2015-01-29 11:10 AM

Need some tips on my training plans right now.

I have the Pittsford Tri in June this year

300 yard indoor pool swim
15 mile ride in somewhat hilly area
5 k run with slight hills

My current works are
Swim, class for advanced swimmers Tuesday evening, swim practice on Friday morning and Sunday
Bike - Spin class at gym on Thursday evening and Saturday morning
Run - I am recovering from foot tendon tear and have been resting and have new orthotics, have not run since late November

Foot is feeling pretty good and I will start with elipitical or treadmill. I have no issue with spin classes causing me issues.

Weather permitting and road conditions I plan to start out with small runs.

Last year I finished the same tri and was OK in each area.

Goal is to take time out of each area, swim and bike will be easy to do and run will depending on the pain in my foot.

Thanks
2015-01-29 12:42 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I'm faster when I do flip turns, even though my flip turns are ugly. I think I spend too much time on the wall when I try open turns--so 4X25 on 2s rest sounds much like me when I do open turns. Oxygen deficit definitely describes laps when I'm using flip turns too.

I agree with this! flip turns are good practice for ending up next to someone in open water and having to adjust your breathing to avoid splashback from them. I think it's good to just be comfortable flipped upside down in the water doing weird stuff- makes you mentally tougher.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54798 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.