BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-02-23 8:54 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Been offline for a bit, is this the second vote? If so my vote is for 6 please.

Still colder than (insert water local coloquialism you have in your area for FREAKING cold!) Up here, so no running. I am very happy that last week I got some swimming and bikining in. Tonight I am hoping to hit the pool and do a nice long easy swim. 2000m would be great 3000m would be outstanding but we will see what I can accomplish!

Beautiful looking golden there 5th, my running parter is a lab pyrense mix and she, like the rest of my family is going stir crazy, my wife may be losing her contract in a few weeks here, I told her that since she will have some time off we should just get in the car and drive south and see how far we get, soooo if that happens I could stop in on all of you guys on our way south, it will be like a BDAS scavenger hunt, with prizes being a workout and then a stop at your local brew pub! I am going to start working on a map! ( this is very preliminary of course and may not happen but wouldn't it be awesome!!)

2015-02-23 12:08 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Bike Shirt Update -

Only 5 people have voted. With my travelling, I wasn't able to post a reminder (my bad), so let's extend the vote until Monday night.

I like version 5 much more than version 6.

Depending on what the manufacturer allows, you might be able to move the hops to one sleeve, the "Powered by Hops" to the other, and then maybe add "Last One There" "Buys the First Round" in semi-circles above and below the image.
2015-02-23 12:43 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Bone chilling 16F with 20mph winds here today...ugh. Back into the workout groove after last week's more relaxed version of training with a 3mi run at the indoor track followed quickly by a 1200yd swim (64 & 65/400).

Got "permission" to do the indoor tri here this weekend from my wife (Saturday is her birthday too), so I'm stoked, but I can't get anyone to give me a definitive answer if there are slots left.
2015-02-23 1:24 PM
in reply to: Craftyviking

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by Craftyviking

Wanted to quickly check in with you guys before I crash. Fridays are bike and run days and this was the first I got a full workout in. And I felt surprisingly good both during and after. It wasn't until I crashed into the couch twelve hours later that I started feeling it in my legs. But I have to say the weekend sounds amazing around now.

That's how you know you had a good workout - nice job!!!
2015-02-23 1:28 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by Qua17

Bike Shirt Update -

Only 5 people have voted. With my travelling, I wasn't able to post a reminder (my bad), so let's extend the vote until Monday night.

I like version 5 much more than version 6.

Depending on what the manufacturer allows, you might be able to move the hops to one sleeve, the "Powered by Hops" to the other, and then maybe add "Last One There" "Buys the First Round" in semi-circles above and below the image.

I love the powered by hops on the sleeve idea! Maybe even a color band at the end- the examples they have have stuff on the sleeves.

But I'm in for #6!
2015-02-23 1:49 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

DeLand, Florida
Ok first things first - get better everyone! I know it's offseason for most of us but damn - flu and stomach bug and car wreck... Everyone get healthy soon!

Jeremy - NICE BIKE!!!! It might be American in origin but definitely lends itself well to Dave O's Ferrari comments!!

Gretchen - nice beer selection! Yuengling is my hands down favorite session beer. We used to smuggle it back to MA from FL in our suitcases before an organized group petitioned the brewery to distribute to New England. We now have it in CT/RI/MA at the least, maybe NH too. (Actually my profile pic is me holding a coupel cans of it after the Beer'd Run in Orlando in November).
Also next FL trip see if you can get your hands on any of the Cigar City Brewing stuff out of Tampa. They carry the Jai Alai IPA at my usual Orlando hotel and I've been dying to try the rest of the lineup.

Dave O. Ferrari bikes... I hear ya! Thankfully for me I'm not starting out with a hybrid, though a borrowed woman's mountain bike was to be my fate at one point, before my wife decided last year to find a nice roadie for me. I know at some point all the weight savings and aero efficiency will make a difference. But for me where I am now I'm not sure if I'd be much faster on a full TT bike. What do they say, improve the engine? Haha. As far as hybrids go, that one looks pretty road-focused. Winter is always a great time to go hang out at your LBS, they're usually bored to tears and will talk bikes with you for as long as you want. Might even be able to get a test ride in if the road conditions cooperate (no snow, slush, etc.).

mirthfuldragon - Knoxville Challenge - looks gorgeous! Oly or Half?

Jenn - jealous of the skiing! Sounds like a great time!

Juan - great job on the 2 hour ride when you're tired! That's what it's all about - not feeling like you're up to the workout, kicking it's behind, and feeling better after!

2015-02-23 2:21 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida
Workouts - Last week was a bit rough for me. Not sure if I needed a recovery week but it sure feels that way now. Yesterday I bailed on spin because my shins/ankle/calves were hurting. Like injury hurting, not muscle soreness. I have to be so careful with all this because another 12 week sideline with 12 more in PT like last year would kill me. I took the time instead to go out shopping by myself, buy some new workout clothes to replace some aging ones, get fitted for new running shoes (YAY!!!), and buy some craft beer.

new shoes - Asics Gel Kayano 21. I've had a history of some misdirection after running shoe fittings, or at least not coming home with something that was any better for injury prevention than what I had previously. I've always been put in stability shoes at the expense of cushioning and started to think maybe that was all wrong. Went in with an open mind and came out with the knowledge that my gait is pretty neutral (tending towards supination) but that motion control/stability was probably unnecessary. So I spent a fortune but after having tried 8 pairs of shoes on the treadmill I got the ones that felt best. Now to break them in!

Beer - got a 4 pack of Founders Breakfast Stout (so hard to find around here!) and a 4 pack of Jack's Abby Framinghammer Baltic Porter. Had one of those last night to celebrate my shopping victories, and to recover from working late into the night last night. I hate deadlines... Anyway it was chocolatey deliciousness!

Also I wanted to add a big +1 to goal setting - I need some direction.
2015-02-23 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Vote for version 5 here.

As for Pactimo I love my gear from them. I have a few tops and shorts from them for my team kit from Fluid.
2015-02-23 8:58 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Lots of catching up to do...

Jeremy - is this your first bike build? I'm curious how it goes, is the time worth it? What are the cost savings versus buying new?

John - glad to know there is someone else out there that appreciates a good bridge. This past summer I did the Bridgeman Duathlon in New Orleans and was able to ride over (and back) the Crosstown Connection that goes over the Mississippi River. That was a thrill! Just wish there was a way to ride over the Skyway.

Mel - so far, since joining this forum, I've joined MyFitnessPal, Spotify, a yoga class, and attempted to eat 15 vegetables in a week, I think Pinterest is pushing my limits. BTW, congrats on the swim distance. I also love the idea of setting goals and rewards.

Dave - just for the record, I was in Wisconsin during the hanging chad debacle. Also glad the cold weather here made you feel better. Just wait until summer when I start complaining about the matching heat and humidity. Then you can throw it back at me. Also, congrats on the new car.

Nicole - if you get your own foam roller, look for one with either a solid core (like a PVC pipe) or one that is closed cell foam. The open cell foam breaks down way too fast. Hope you're doing better after the wreck.

Jenn - how do you like those new aero bars? Did the LBS suggest pointing the tips towards the middle or was that personal preference?

Gretchen - if you're taking the blame for bringing the cold, then you also get credit for taking it back when you left, so thank you. I think we were below freezing for all of 20 minutes. Congrats on discovering the Yuengling.

Dave O - I was in your place when I started, I used my daily commuter bike with a pair of clip on aerobars for my first 2 seasons. I set a weight loss goal/reward for my tri bike. In the lead up to that goal, I did a ton of research before settling on a bike. I'm still riding that same tri bike 4+ years later and couldn't happier.

5th - beautiful pup. Reminds me of my first dog as a child. Makes me wish my wife and son weren't allergic.

Alex - I looked up the Captiva results for the last 2 years and you're holding a solid 12 second lead... I feel a challenge going down this year.

A few things from my week:

Despite no snow here, my Y pool was closed 2 days this past week when a drunk driver hit the water main in front of the building.

Finally starting to feel better, drugs are good things.

While I was home bound, I did manage to build a double box fan stand for keeping cool while killing time on the drainer.

(windmachine.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
windmachine.jpg (83KB - 2 downloads)
2015-02-23 9:14 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-In: I drug my butt out tonight to go for a swim. My body wasn't in the mood, but I talked it into a 1000 meter swim.

Shirt Vote: I'm sticking with my vote for #6.

Goal Setting (Topic of the week): Staying motivated is hard for me. My downfall usually comes after a race. I suddenly get hit with the post race depression and I tumble for a few weeks. This might seem a bit cheesy, but this is the best way I have come up with to get out of my funk and get motivated. I have an whiteboard marker and I leave myself messages on my bathroom mirror. It's small and in the corner but I see it everyday. This is what is on it right now:

What do you want?
Why not now?
Why not you?

The last 2 are relatively new. I fell into an internet hole the other day reading http://www.reddit.com/r/GetMotivated/
I saw something similar and thought I'd "borrow" it.

2015-02-23 9:15 PM
in reply to: #5095378

New user
Sumter, South Carolina
Cwpeters: it's my first bike build. Turned out pretty great, I am going to get my LBS to tune my deraileaurs for me, but other than that I was able to do everything else. It's WAY cheaper. I've completed this bike, with a wired power meter, for under $1000.

2015-02-23 9:50 PM
in reply to: #5095624

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ooh Chris I love that box fan set up. I was just thinking as I have been working out harder that a fan was needed. Do you notice a big difference with two? It's too cold for me to pull out the saws now.

One thing I really like for motivation is changing my computer password to something I want to accomplish. I type it so much it seems to stick. For example 24min5k although mine are more wholistic than that.

I also try and tell others my goals - then it's harder to back out.
2015-02-23 10:50 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Ooh Chris I love that box fan set up. I was just thinking as I have been working out harder that a fan was needed. Do you notice a big difference with two? It's too cold for me to pull out the saws now.

One thing I really like for motivation is changing my computer password to something I want to accomplish. I type it so much it seems to stick. For example 24min5k although mine are more wholistic than that.

I used to use a single stand mounted fan but it just didn't do the job. I've also tried the ceiling fan on high, but at 6'5", if I sit up or stretch, I'll hit the fan. I've also tried a box fan on the floor, on a chair, on a TV tray, and on the desk. None of those seemed to work well. This set up is great, I can adjust the speed of each fan individually and tilt them to exactly where I want them to blow, whether sitting up, or in the aero position. It also allows me to keep air moving across the trainer flywheel which is important in extending the life of the equipment.
2015-02-24 8:05 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

I am going to have to try that password thing! Very good idea. I also try to tell people my goals. If I talk about my training, or tell someone I am doing a workout, I am more likely to do it. I also try to plan workouts with friends. That is my biggest motivation when it comes to sticking with my goals. If someone else is expecting me at a workout, I won't miss it unless I am sick or injured. Accountability gets me every time.
2015-02-24 8:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Moonrocket Ooh Chris I love that box fan set up. I was just thinking as I have been working out harder that a fan was needed. Do you notice a big difference with two? It's too cold for me to pull out the saws now. One thing I really like for motivation is changing my computer password to something I want to accomplish. I type it so much it seems to stick. For example 24min5k although mine are more wholistic than that. I also try and tell others my goals - then it's harder to back out.

This ^.

A big plus for me is my whole family is involved in triathlon/fitness. I look forward to taking some bike rides with my son this spring. Can't wait until my daughter(7yrs old) is old enough for a road bike. Then the whole family will be biking! She was wondering where our after work runs were yesterday...bad dad! We are starting them back up again...

Of course we cannot forget the power of BDAS!!

Edited by thor67 2015-02-24 8:08 AM
2015-02-24 8:10 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning All! Super excited here this morning, as I just mailed in my registration for the mini-indoor tri this weekend!!! Finally confirmed there were spaces available and texted the RD my info to save my spot while my registration is in transit (isn't technology great sometimes?). Excited, and literally there is no time to get nervous.

Spin class this morning (66/400). Had to get to work to finish up some stuff before I administer an exam today, so just the one workout. I feel like a slacker, but racquetball tonight.

As for goal setting, I tend to take a very specific approach. I break the larger goal down into several stages/steps and pursue the smaller ones individually. This gets me toward my larger goal, but helps me stay accountable. So, for example, this year my goal was to become a consistency monster because after looking at my logs from last year I realized I'm a triathlete for about two months at a time (right before a race!). I worked out consistently for about six months last year (not consecutive six months though), so I counted the number of workouts I did last year and then doubled it (and rounded to a nice even number). It averages to 8 workouts a week, so it forces me to do doubles at least twice a week, but I'm okay with that. Within the overall goal of consistency, I also set goals to run 600 miles (11.5 mi per week), swim 100 miles (2.3 mi per week), and bike 1000 miles (23 mi per week)---again, all easily achievable if I maintain my consistency.

2015-02-24 8:17 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Chris, very cool setup with the fan!

Dave, I totally hear you on the post-race slump. After my tri in early October I took 2 months off from working out...I felt like I had no direction anymore! The trick for me, other than accountability, is always having something to train for. I think that is my problem right now. I haven't signed up for a race yet so I don't have any feelings of urgency when it comes to training. I'm working on hammering out the last of the dates for wedding stuff, so hopefully I can book a race soon!

I did just find out my car is totaled :-/ now it's time to decide whether I should get a new one right now or wait a few months and save some money.
2015-02-24 10:51 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm sorry about your car Nicole! I lived in a city for 2 years with no car and look back on it fondly. Perhaps give it a try and see how it goes.

Do we not have a challenge for this week? Anyone have a good idea?
2015-02-24 12:43 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Arlington, Virginia
Originally posted by Snewo

Goal Setting (Topic of the week): Staying motivated is hard for me. My downfall usually comes after a race. I suddenly get hit with the post race depression and I tumble for a few weeks. This might seem a bit cheesy, but this is the best way I have come up with to get out of my funk and get motivated. I have an whiteboard marker and I leave myself messages on my bathroom mirror. It's small and in the corner but I see it everyday. This is what is on it right now:

What do you want?
Why not now?
Why not you?

The last 2 are relatively new. I fell into an internet hole the other day reading http://www.reddit.com/r/GetMotivated/
I saw something similar and thought I'd "borrow" it.

Dave I LOVE the whiteboard marker idea. I share my bathroom mirror, so I probably wouldn't be able to write there, but I could definitely write on my full-length one! Really solid idea.

Does anyone else write messages to themselves? I currently have a post it note above the handle of my fridge reminding me that food=fuel...
2015-02-24 12:46 PM

User image

Arlington, Virginia

The challenge is goal setting and rewards this week!
2015-02-24 1:09 PM
in reply to: whichwayisdown

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by whichwayisdown

Cool- I thought we were doing a discussion topic and goal. I guess I better sign up for another race- that's really the best way for me to mange goals!

2015-02-24 1:42 PM

User image

Arlington, Virginia

Originally posted by whichwayisdown

Cool- I thought we were doing a discussion topic and goal. I guess I better sign up for another race- that's really the best way for me to mange goals!

Oh DUH. Ignore me y'all, sorry. Challenge/discussion are different. I don't think there's been a challenge suggested yet.
2015-02-24 2:10 PM
in reply to: whichwayisdown

User image

DeLand, Florida
Anyone else thinking a challenge could potentially be 'sign up for a race and commit to it!'?
2015-02-24 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by firebert

Anyone else thinking a challenge could potentially be 'sign up for a race and commit to it!'?

Now that is really putting it out there! Pretty big commitment level. I like it!

I was just thinking I needed to round out my season a little as I've only signed up for one thing.
2015-02-24 2:23 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by firebert

Now that is really putting it out there! Pretty big commitment level. I like it!

I was just thinking I needed to round out my season a little as I've only signed up for one thing.

That's one more than me - haha. I haven't even planned my 5ks yet...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54835 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.