BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-03-30 3:25 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Mark - it's here:

http://shop.jakroo.com/storefront/BDAS

The current run order deadline is tomorrow. After that I'm not entirely certain if a new order will just come from another run and therefore be delayed, or if it will bring with it a price increase to the single, or what...

2015-03-30 3:43 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm looking at the sizing chart and trying to decide between relaxed and regular- does it look like to others the relaxed is longer?

What fit did you order?
2015-03-30 4:14 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by firebert

Mark - it's here: http://shop.jakroo.com/storefront/BDASThe current run order deadline is tomorrow. After that I'm not entirely certain if a new order will just come from another run and therefore be delayed, or if it will bring with it a price increase to the single, or what...

Whew, glad I checked in today! Jersey ordered! Great work everyone for getting this together and making it a reality!

2015-03-30 5:56 PM
in reply to: 0

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Monday update...

Head cold was still kicking my butt this morning, was supposed to be at the pool for an 11am workout, woke up and decided that wasn't going to happen, I could breathe through my nose, much less take a distance workout in the pool. Took another NyQuil and went back to sleep until around 2pm..was feeling significantly better when I woke up, ran some errands and came back for an afternoon ride..my nearby 10mile loop, wanted to focus on stretching my legs from Saturday's race.. What a night and day difference the bike fit made..shoulders still a little sore, and my saddle is still a little iffy on me(not nearly as bad) but the localized quad pain is gone, and I'm able to focus a lot more on my pedal stroke.

First mile and a half or so of my ride was a little stiff, after I got some blood into my legs, I smoothed out quite a bit, and was moving along very comfortably in aero..to the point it's more comfortable to be in aero than on the basebar...

however, the stretch of road along the Mississippi River I was riding on, isn't in the smoothest condition, happened to get into a patch that was really rough, and my only place to go was to hug the edge of the grass or i was going to have a blowout...only problem, I was out on my aero bars, couldn't move off to get to the brakes..and then it happened..off the road, into the grass, somehow managed to bunny hop over a small ditch that would have for sure put me over the handlebars..clipped out in time, and ditched the bike.

MAN DOWN!

luckily there was nobody around to see me eat it..so the only thing really hurt was my pride.

Guess it was going to happen eventually, and lesson learned with only a few minor scratches. Although I did ride on the basebar for a little while afterwords until my nerves calmed down...

On the bright side, it's SUSHI NIGHT! :D

Edited by GeauxHard 2015-03-30 6:08 PM
2015-03-30 6:03 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by justinfss

Sorry, folks, my weekly check in here,

horrible week training wise, I have been out walking lots with my daughter and our dog, and I feel like I should just run, but my motivation is never there to have it happen. I have to figure something out to get my in gear. I am also thinking about picking up some kettle bells for some home strength workout, anyone have any tips on those, browsing amazon and I am hit with countless options and no real clue which ones are good. I figure it is some iron with a handle so it should be hard to mess up. Thoughts?

Everyone looks to be killing it! training wise, especially Thor, if you havent checked out his training log yet, go do it now, man is a full on BEAST! inspirational man!

Maybe you can plan to just go for a mile run, and if you're having fun, do more? Worst case, you'll get in a few miles every week.
Kettlebells, I don't know much about it but yeah I think they're hard to mess up. They always have some at TJ Maxx next to the womens' workout wear. Maybe next to the mens' too? I never go to that section though.
2015-03-30 6:56 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Alex- You will rock the HIM. Can't wait for the race report

Devon - glad your ok

Nichole - 1/2 inch that sounds like a lot actually, hope the pain gets better.

Mark - thanks for getting the shirts together. I ordered a tri top. I don't own any bike jerseys maybe should get one of them also Any chance we can get t shirts from them?

Mark- glad to see you back. How are things in CA? I signed up for wine and dine to get coast to coast and signing up for the dopey challenge next month.

Got in my 30 min on the dreadmill today as it was raining and cold. pushed off swim until tomorrow due to time constraints today, so I have a brick and a swim to do tomorrow. I am rewarding myself with a lone rider "horse you rode in on" session IPA. I am also booking my hotel room tomorrow for the IM in Oct.

2015-03-30 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Dave O, that's a great pace on your 10-miler! Congrats!

Alan, you are a beast. I'm scared just looking at that picture.

Edited by chayes 2015-03-30 8:34 PM
2015-03-30 8:32 PM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by GeauxHard

Ugh :/

Woke up today, to find that cold I was fighting off at the beginning of the week back with a vengeance. Zero airflow through my nose, and I'm coughing up a storm...

And then to add to that, my legs are toast from yesterday's race..i can hardly walk on them..

I guess on the brightside, today is a rest day, so there's still the chance of clearing it up before tomorrow for my long ride and swim practice.

Now I just need to get a set of recovery socks to help my legs out..

Sorry to hear it. if you can, go for a walk at least. After a few minutes they will start to loosen up.
2015-03-30 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
So... I wound up splitting my long run (20 miles) on Sunday into 16 miles in the morning outside and 4 miles on the treadmill late in the evening. How bad is that? The rest of my training schedule for long runs has 12 miles, 20 miles, then taper (I think like 12 miles for the final long run). So on the one hand, I have another 20 miler. Also I felt amazing during the 16 miles and definitely had 4 more miles in me (just ran up against time constraints after poor timing in the morning). On the other hand, I'm pretty nervous about finishing the 26.2 and have felt like crap for the last few miles of most of my long runs to date, so who knows if I really had 4 more miles in me.

Is there anything I should change about my training, or just bag that and continue on? I know I shouldn't add another long run in, but anything else I should do?
2015-03-30 8:57 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by Snewo Check in: No workout today, I took a day off to recover. Back to the grind tomorrow. Gear I am now the owner of a base Wahoo Tickr. - I calculated my zones with this website: http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm- I found a 16 week RPE/Zone based Olympic training plan that looks interesting. - My target Tri is exactly 16 weeks from my half marathon. Almost like I planned it that way. Beer I had a Burning River Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Company. I like their beers.

I highly recommend basing your zones on a threshold test. Those formulas do not at all account for individual fitness and genetics. Go for a 20 minute run giving it all you got and base your zones on the HR and pace of the test. It'll be much more accurate and you'll see better improvements in performance. 

Thanks for the advice. I'll do the test the next nice weekend. I don't want to do this on the treadmill. That thing lies....it lies I tell ya!
2015-03-30 9:03 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by firebert

Mark - it's here:

http://shop.jakroo.com/storefront/BDAS

The current run order deadline is tomorrow. After that I'm not entirely certain if a new order will just come from another run and therefore be delayed, or if it will bring with it a price increase to the single, or what...

From their email:

After your first order with Jakroo, we can reset your store to be open year-round with delivery options of the 15th or end of any month. Please email me when you would like to reset your store. And we can provide additional free designs at any time - just let us know. Visit our growing cycling, triathlon, running, and nordic custom line: www.jakroo.com/custom-products/.

In Re-Order mode, your store is always open and defaulted to the very affordable 3-5 quantity discount pricing, even if only 1 item is ordered. That's right, NO MINIMUMS! We can always reset your pricing for a bulk order, just let us know when we can help.

ORDER/Delivery dates: For orders placed by the 1st of the month, delivery occurs the 15th; or for orders placed by the 15th, delivery occurs the end of that month.

2015-03-30 9:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm curious about setting zones. The run program I'm doing has a 2 mile time trial tomorrow night for setting zones. You don't need a HRM for it but they recommend one. Any idea what happens to calculate zones? Is it just an all out 2 mile? I'm getting nervous!
2015-03-30 9:34 PM
in reply to: #5104885

User image

Extreme Veteran
I ordered a jersey!

Thank you Dave!

The design kind of looks like my husband. I love it!
2015-03-30 9:35 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Originally posted by Moonrocket I'm curious about setting zones. The run program I'm doing has a 2 mile time trial tomorrow night for setting zones. You don't need a HRM for it but they recommend one. Any idea what happens to calculate zones? Is it just an all out 2 mile? I'm getting nervous!

There are several different methods developed by various people for setting zones. I've never heard of a 2 mile test but without an HR my guess is that it will set zones based on pace. Pace is often viewed for running what power is to cycling. It's best if you have both, otherwise you'll have to rely more on RPE. RPE, while effective, is difficult to nail down accurately until you have a significant amount of experience with it. 

My guess is that it would be an all out TT run. Most tests usually involve all-out efforts. Keep in mind that all-out doesn't mean sprint as hard as you can. It means run the maximal effort you can sustain for the distance/time. Basically in the last few feet of the 2mile run you should feel like you'll collapse when you hit the 2mile marker. If you've never done a test it's better hold back a little and set your zones a little lower. 

2015-03-30 9:38 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-in Time to get back to the grind - first workout for the week is 2400 yards in the pool. I have a little soreness (the good kind) in the legs, so I figured I would give them the day off and I did the whole workout today with the pull buoy.

GeauxHard Wow that was quite a description of your tumble. Glad to hear you're ok. Enjoy the sushi.

Moonrocket After Alan told me to calculate my own zones I looked it up. If sounds like they want you to run an all out 2 miler, but not to the extent that you slow down at the end. You should use your fastest pace that you will be able to maintain throughout the entire 2 mile run. Most likely they will have you warm up and then reset the lap counter at the start of the 2 miles. The 2 miles of data will be used to determine your LTHR. Here is some reading on the process http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/11/quick-guide-to-settin...

Does anyone have a topic for the week yet?
2015-03-30 9:44 PM

User image

For those who don't have access to Joe Friel's training bible, I've copied the training zones. Basically if you follow the instructions in the link posted above. I'll post it below too. Anyway, Once you've done the test, determine your average HR for the test and then find in along the bolded numbers (lower zone 5 number) and then look across at the rest for your HR values in each zone. 

Don't use this chart to set your cycling zones though. They are slightly different.

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/11/quick-guide-to-setting-zones.html

Edited by adempsey10 2015-03-30 9:52 PM

(bdas1.jpg)

(bdas2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bdas1.jpg (445KB - 2 downloads)
bdas2.jpg (461KB - 3 downloads)

2015-03-30 9:54 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Maybe the topic for the week should LTHR/FTP? Those who haven't done a test should make a point to try one this week and see where they stand. 

2015-03-30 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you so much! Great bedtime reading.

My HR has always been really high when working out- even when I used to swim 3-5 hours a day. I guess I will go try and steal my husband's HR monitor for tomorrow!
2015-03-30 11:26 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Firebert (aka John) Get with the Program! put your name in your signature, I have to look it up everytime I go to make a post. You speak of not being totally snow covered, that must be nice, we are 100% and it is still snowing, wanna trade?

Thor Great job pulling the trigger on the races, I need to do this as well. That is so awesome that you are racing with your whole family.

Nicole Awesome on the weightloss! Inspiring, I need to get some week long prep done, that would help my family a lot.

Charles the mud covered ride is pure awsomeness!

Devon Glad your pride was the only injury in the crash, great description!

Christina Good call on the 1 mile run, in Canada we go by Kilometers so I will be doing 1.6 km runs. But honestly that is what I need to do, Just run, Just go out, just get it done.

2015-03-30 11:28 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
John When did you put your name in the signature, now I look like an dumb a$$hole in my post above, thanks a lot.....
2015-03-31 12:48 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Killing time on midnight shifts here guys and I surf on over to the Muskoka 70.3 page, more specifically the 'Volunteer' tab. I think I may just go an help out with the race this year in hopes of being inspired to try my hand at it next year. Has anyone here volunteered at an event like this? Just wondering what job I should go for. It seems like everything is still open.

suggestions???

(I posted in the Triathlon and Ontario forums about this as well )

2015-03-31 8:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by chayes So... I wound up splitting my long run (20 miles) on Sunday into 16 miles in the morning outside and 4 miles on the treadmill late in the evening. How bad is that? The rest of my training schedule for long runs has 12 miles, 20 miles, then taper (I think like 12 miles for the final long run). So on the one hand, I have another 20 miler. Also I felt amazing during the 16 miles and definitely had 4 more miles in me (just ran up against time constraints after poor timing in the morning). On the other hand, I'm pretty nervous about finishing the 26.2 and have felt like crap for the last few miles of most of my long runs to date, so who knows if I really had 4 more miles in me. Is there anything I should change about my training, or just bag that and continue on? I know I shouldn't add another long run in, but anything else I should do?

If you can run 16 miles, you can absolutely run 26.2 miles!! Continue as you are, you will be fine! One step at a time and you will crush it!

X

2015-03-31 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by justinfss Killing time on midnight shifts here guys and I surf on over to the Muskoka 70.3 page, more specifically the 'Volunteer' tab. I think I may just go an help out with the race this year in hopes of being inspired to try my hand at it next year. Has anyone here volunteered at an event like this? Just wondering what job I should go for. It seems like everything is still open. suggestions??? (I posted in the Triathlon and Ontario forums about this as well )

Depends on what you want to do.  Pulling folks out of the water lets you watch the race and leave earlier, with a really early wakeup call.  Aid station volunteers have long days and get to see the good, the bad, and the ugly of race day, but those slots are always available.  Finish line volunteers get to see the thrill of victory, but stay late.  

2015-03-31 9:01 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by justinfss

John When did you put your name in the signature, now I look like an dumb a$$hole in my post above, thanks a lot.....

It's been there since January. HOWEVER when I post from my mobile on the mobile site, it doesn't appear. I have no idea why this is. The mobile version sucks - I can't reply to specific posts, or quote anything... I can't even go to the last read post, only the physical last post. So if y'all are having a busy day or two and I miss 20 posts, I have to scroll back... Yeah first world problems I know.

So that's my topic of the day - what do you all use to post from devices - the mobile site? Is there an app that works with this board (like tapatalk)? Are you able to navigate to the regular site instead of the mobile?
2015-03-31 9:28 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Ok catching up. From the real site from a real computer so I get my sig and posting options

Dave O - thanks for the info on shirt ordering! Good to know I can chuck my buyer's remorse at having bought only a tri top instead of also getting a cycling jersey. I spent the money on a Rudy Project transition bag instead. They had a half off deal and the GAS hit.....

Devon - sorry to hear about the fall. Glad no one was around. And especially glad it was pride hurting more than anything else. I know when I fall it's going to be at a busy intersection...

Justin - sorry for complaining about snow. It's unusual for us here on the southern New England coast to ever have this much, and definitely this late in the season. it was snowing yesterday for us too, just not accumulating. We did get a fresh 1" on Saturday. Not much but it covered everything that had melted... I'm thinking it's going to be late June before my bike sees the road.

Christina - experienced marathoners love to tell me 'If you can run a 10k, you can run a marathon'. And then some business about slowing the pace. And of course they all have stories about walking a bunch after mile 20.

Alan - thanks for the info! I'm thinking I need to re-do my running lactate threshold soon. I have a question that's eluded me so far - what's FTP?

Workouts - definitely back to it. 6 days a week, couple doubles. Nothing like you IM types but it should serve me well for a sprint. Stretched my swim last night to 1300 (from 1200 previously). I made my breast stroke recoveries into 100s instead of 50s. I think I need to re-think this, the kick is hard on my hips. Having a tough time walking today... Next workout I'm doing 100s free, then 50s breast to recover, rather than 100/100.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54763 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.