BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-03-31 9:44 AM
in reply to: #5104899

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
I want to know about good mobile solutions too! I always read / post from my phone and it's frustrating!

Even for entering workouts- the distance field sends me to the phone keyboard and I can't do decimals. All other fields send me to the regular keyboard where I can. So I type the real distances in the comments and round for the distance field. I plan to go back and update on the computer.

I'd love a better solution!

2015-03-31 9:47 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Originally posted by firebert  Alan - thanks for the info! I'm thinking I need to re-do my running lactate threshold soon. I have a question that's eluded me so far - what's FTP?

If LTHR is your heart rate at threshold, FTP is power (in watts) at threshold. It's used in cycling with a power meter to set power zones just like LTHR is used to set HR zones. It's more accurate than HR because power is objective. 200 watts is 200 watts whether its hot, cold, you're dehydrated or fatigued. 

Power is a more useful metric than HR, and in my opinion (when it comes to cycling at least), it makes HR almost obsolete. If it's a particularly hot day, your HR could be elevated slightly. If you're basing your effort on HR, your HR will give the impression you're working harder than you are. With power you know absolutely whether you're working too hard or not hard enough.

When I did my track race last week I couldn't see my head unit (not allowed to race track with it because they don't want you looking down at it during the race). My RPE during the race was what I expected it to be. I didn't feel like I was hammering too hard.  I would have gauged my effort at just below or near threshold. When I looked at my metrics after the race, my HR was in the mid to high 170s during the entire race( LTHR is 163bpm). Normally it would only go up that high if I were in an all-out sprint or pushing 600-700watts for a minute or more; basically, an unsustainable effort. Because the track is brand new for the Pan Am games this summer, they have the heat cranked inside the velodrome and the humidity is zero (to dry out the planks on the track). So it was really hot and dry. Since it's winter here (wet and cold) my body hasn't acclimatized to that kind of climate yet so my HR was elevated. If I had a power meter, however, it probably would have told me that I was pushing out 260-280 watts (near threshold); a sustainable pace. 

That may have been an overkill answer. 

2015-03-31 10:11 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by b2b14

Mark- glad to see you back. How are things in CA? I signed up for wine and dine to get coast to coast and signing up for the dopey challenge next month

Going good, have my next half-marathon coming up at the end of April. My foot is doing better, the PF is "stabilized" (not getting worse, not quite getting better) to the point where I'm able to continue light HM training. It won't be my fastest run but I'm feeling confident I can finish strong.

I've recently taken up paddle boarding and it's a nice cross training workout. Shoulders and back get a good workout paddling and if the conditions are choppy my legs get a bonus workout just keeping my balance.

2015-03-31 3:54 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Shirts ordered! Can't wait to see it in person!

Checking in: I've definitely ramped things up. Did a 26 mile ride on Friday with a friend...broke no speed records at all, but hey...it was a 26 mile ride! Then a 5K on Saturday...according to the timer I did it in 31 minutes, which is a PW (personal worst!) for me within the past year and a half or so. And I felt like we made good time and were pacing ourselves well....it felt really good after the first half mile. Oh well...just need to get back into it, I guess.

12 mile bike yesterday and attempted a 4 mile run today but I felt myself struggling the entire time and ended it at 3.5 miles. I think I'm figuring out that I'm going to need to alter my eating and nutrition habits. I've pretty much always run first thing in the morning on an empty stomach (and prefer this except when racing), but I'm now walking 3 miles first thing in the morning (before my run...used to be afterwards), and I think it just delays me long enough that my body starts recognizing it's working on fumes. Especially now that I"m watching what I eat and am trying to lose a few pounds.

Great to hear about everyone's progress.

Sandi
2015-03-31 4:00 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

, Vermont
Sandi, cut yourself a liiiiittle slack. First, I am just envious you get to ride outside - and 26 miles at that! (I woke up to a fresh dusting of snow this morning...). You're getting biking and running in - both requiring a lot of balance and you only have the use of one really good eye - that is really tough and I think you're amazing! Clearly you're coming back strong, just give yourself some time, and learning new ways to think about your nutrition needs isn't a bad thing - it will help you to be more flexible in the long run. You rock! Keep it up!
2015-03-31 4:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
I'm on my third rest day....working too much! LOL The weather is beautiful so I've been flying yesterday and today but with hubby traveling I have to be home for the kiddos right after and they have after school activities to schlep them to.

Soooooo NO SURGERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The MRI confirmed what my PT has been saying all along! While I don't have bursitis, there is inflammation around the IT band in that specific spot so the ortho doc shot some cortisone in there and in a week if everything is feeling okay I can begin to run/walk again taking it slow! I need to roll like it's my job and continue with PT. I am over the moon! I'll report back to him via email in 6-8 weeks about how things are going.

Now the question is....do I start a 13 week Half Mary program and sign up for the HIM (because I've been keeping up with the bike and swim) I wanted to do in June and walk a bit every mile or so or just plan on the AquaBike and do the HIM on Labor Day weekend....decisions, decisions....

I am distracted I am so happy. :-D

okay, happy training! Sorry it's a bit of a selfish post, but I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders! Tonight I am having a beer! I don't know what kind - I've got some microbrews in the fridge that I'll have to check out and enjoy with burgers on the grill.

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-03-31 4:11 PM

2015-03-31 4:14 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

DeLand, Florida
Ok I'm with Jenn, you're accomplishing so much! 31 minutes is nothing to be sad about. Was it a timing chip race or is that just what the clock said when you crossed the line? Because unless there's only 20 ppl running the race, or you start up front, no one crosses the start line as the gun goes off

Originally posted by sandishr

Especially now that I"m watching what I eat and am trying to lose a few pounds.

I'm feeling this as well. My Fitness Pal has been awesome for keeping me in check in terms of 'yes I can have some pretzels' or 'no I can't afford to have a beer today'. But with decreasing my calorie intake, I am finding more often that I don't have the juice I need for my workouts. Sometimes... Sometimes I do. Just have to be mindful of it. And not to let my rest day calorie overage get me down.
2015-03-31 4:15 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Soooooo NO SURGERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The MRI confirmed what my PT has been saying all along! While I don't have bursitis, there is inflammation around the IT band in that specific spot so the ortho doc shot some cortisone in there and in a week if everything is feeling okay I can begin to run/walk again taking it slow! I need to roll like it's my job and continue with PT. I am over the moon! I'll report back to him via email in 6-8 weeks about how things are going.

YYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! That's great news!

Can't help with any advice about how soon to start HM and HIM training, having never attempted either. But no surgery moves any training timetable up!
2015-03-31 5:56 PM

User image

I'm on my third rest day....working too much! LOL The weather is beautiful so I've been flying yesterday and today but with hubby traveling I have to be home for the kiddos right after and they have after school activities to schlep them to.

Now the question is....do I start a 13 week Half Mary program and sign up for the HIM (because I've been keeping up with the bike and swim) I wanted to do in June and walk a bit every mile or so or just plan on the AquaBike and do the HIM on Labor Day weekend....decisions, decisions....

okay, happy training! Sorry it's a bit of a selfish post, but I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders! Tonight I am having a beer! I don't know what kind - I've got some microbrews in the fridge that I'll have to check out and enjoy with burgers on the grill.

If you want to do the HIM you can definitely finish it. I had to walk/run much of the run portion of beach to battle ship HIM last year due to a back injury, but I made it. Set a realist goal for yourself that will not lead to an injury.
2015-03-31 6:27 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by firebert  Alan - thanks for the info! I'm thinking I need to re-do my running lactate threshold soon. I have a question that's eluded me so far - what's FTP?

[...] 

Power is a more useful metric than HR, and in my opinion (when it comes to cycling at least), it makes HR almost obsolete. If it's a particularly hot day, your HR could be elevated slightly. If you're basing your effort on HR, your HR will give the impression you're working harder than you are. With power you know absolutely whether you're working too hard or not hard enough.

As an analytic tool, power is fantastic.  For example:  https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/724772170 35 miles, avg speed 17.7mph, avg HR 134, avg power 162, avg normalized power 199.  My FTP is 247, so it looks like a decent, solid effort ride.  The reality is that I'm was getting my *** kicked and felt completely destroyed after the ride.  

In 120 minutes, I spent almost 20 minutes in power zone 6 (>120% FTP).  The basic numbers don't show how much I was hurting for the last 45 minutes of the ride, but the power numbers do - all that Zone 6 time is digging too deep and burning matches, so I was just beat at the end, was skipping pulls, and the others in the group did a lot of the work.  Granted there were only 4 of us, and 2 of those guys are just monsters that are in zone 2 or 3 when I'm in zone 6.

2015-03-31 6:35 PM

User image

Soooooo NO SURGERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY! The beer is well deserved!!!

On the HIM I think it just depends on whether you think the training will compromise your recovery and assess that realistically. If it doesn't fill up, you can always see how the next month or two goes before deciding. :-)

Sandi

2015-03-31 6:46 PM

User image

Sandi, cut yourself a liiiiittle slack. First, I am just envious you get to ride outside - and 26 miles at that! (I woke up to a fresh dusting of snow this morning...). You're getting biking and running in - both requiring a lot of balance and you only have the use of one really good eye - that is really tough and I think you're amazing! Clearly you're coming back strong, just give yourself some time, and learning new ways to think about your nutrition needs isn't a bad thing - it will help you to be more flexible in the long run. You rock! Keep it up!

Well, this dog musher is highly envious of that dusting of snow....since we never got any and our usual month in ski country was derailed by my illness, so....

:-)

The big change for me is that when I got sick, the only thing I was allowed to do was walk the dog--the older dog recovering from knee surgery, so not exactly an aerobic event--and it became a habit that pretty much saved my sanity since he required two 60 minute walks daily during that time. In particular the morning walk helped me screw my head on straight to begin the day in a reasonably emotionally healthy manner. So I'm feeling pretty committed to continuing that....which just adds on an hour of time that's not a lot of exercise. But I'm realizing the time it takes and the few calories it burns may be interfering with my ability to really get back into the run....I haven't struggled at all with a workout...I don't think ever....like I did this morning. It may just be that having an english muffin or something at the outset of my walk with him will do it. I'll experiment.

Sandi

2015-03-31 7:22 PM
in reply to: Qua17

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Had a good workout day today..

Decided to check out a stretch of bike path on the Mississippi river levee that heads into downtown, about 4.5miles each way.

Tried to stay In a lower gear and keep my cadence up out, did some interval work on the stretch back.

Got back home and had a light run, really focused on keeping my stride short and keep a high cadence, I think this is what helped me in the 5k this weekend, I kinda just stopped thinking and tried to run fast. Actually ran one of my fastest mile splits since I started training, and over a minute and a half faster than when I was running in a much longer stride.

Still really need to get my hands on a HRM..

Here's a quick photo from my turnaround on the bike today..this is actually one of my favorite spots in the city.

2015-03-31 7:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-in: I just had fun at the gym today. I hopped on the recumbent bike and pedaled away while trying to figure out how this new heart rate monitor on my chest worked. I was on the bike for around 15 minutes as I played with my RunKeeper app, the Wahoo fitness app, MFP, and the Apple Healthkit. Once I thought I had it working the way I wanted I jumped to the treadmill and ran for about 2.5 miles. I'm not going to do the LTHR field test till the weekend, so this was just about learning. The Wahoo app has their own field test as part of it, I'll probably do that too. For those interested, the HR thingy on the treadmill was actually pretty accurate...I didn't expect that.

I still have some bugs to work out, I had triple the data reported to MFP. I'll figure it all out by the weekend. Now I just need the weather to hold out. Right now Sunday looks stellar, high of 53F and sunny.

Jenn Congrats on the no surgery!

Sandi Your muscles will remember who you are, they didn't leave you. Give them a week to wake up.

Accessing BT I read on the phone when I get a chance during the day, but I comment at night on the laptop. that's why I save up all of these comments.

Edited by Snewo 2015-03-31 7:58 PM
2015-03-31 8:44 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

DeLand, Florida
Dave I think you're on to something. Post workouts from different apps to MFP - triple the calories burned. Now you can have whatever beer you want!!!

------
John
2015-03-31 8:48 PM
in reply to: #5105185

User image

DeLand, Florida
Got my bum handed to me tonight. Same story as last Tuesday - too bored to stay at work so I went to the y early and got some spin bike time in before boot camp class. It was boot camp that did the bum handing. Quads and hips had nothing left to give - I was excited for bicep curls and push-ups. If this class does nothing but strengthen my weak hips and shoulders compiled from 16 years of being hunched over a desk, I'll be happy!

--------
John

2015-03-31 9:07 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Thor and John- well, you guys are making me feel confident! So thanks for that...
I do hope to finish strong, though. I'm glad I have another 20 miler.
2015-03-31 9:13 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by chayes

Thor and John- well, you guys are making me feel confident! So thanks for that...
I do hope to finish strong, though. I'm glad I have another 20 miler.

You've got this!!! Enjoy the journey!
2015-03-31 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Jenn- yay, that's fantastic news!

If it were me I would do the aquabike this spring and the HIM in the fall... I would want to give my leg plenty of time to heal.
But you seem like a beast, and I'm a wimp, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.
2015-03-31 9:20 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Gorgeous picture Devon!

I lived through my 2 mile time trial. I ran 17:52 which given my lack of training is not too bad. 8:59 pace - I can't wait to see how much I can improve in 8 weeks of training. I'm really enjoying the group. I'm guessing there were 70ish people there for the time trial. My Thursday AM group only has 7 registered - so I like the small group in the morning then the big group Tuesday evenings.
2015-03-31 10:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I think you can do it too!

But, what about an Oly - you can push the speed if you feel good- or be kind if you're on a slower recovery. (That said I've never got bitten by the long distance bug- and know there's a pretty strong draw for a lot of people.)

2015-04-01 5:28 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Sandi You are a training beast! 31 minutes in my world is a good time!

Jenn very happy for the no surgery news! I am sure whatever you decide to do in regards to the HIM will be the right call, but I say go for it!

Devon Super picturesque training grounds you have there, great backdrop for the run/bike, and if you can swim in that river you have go it all! watch out for that barge though.

Just finishing up a round of midnight shifts here, I used to love midnight shifts, no co workers to deal with, very little traffic besides cargo flights and medevacs, not to mention the option of not wearing pants at work! ( joking, also I have been up all night so thats probably not as funny as it seems it is to me) But now after doing 4-6 shifts every 1-2 months for 10 years, I am starting to dread how they mess up my sleep, and how I always end up drinking too much coffee and eating $hit food. Ahhh well, I have some future job prospects that will let me to never work midnights again so fingers crossed that a change occurs sooner than later.

really hoping to get some running going on these few days off, wont be breaking any land speed records but I just need to get out there! Lots of snow still here, I am going to post a picture of my front yard later to show you guys what I am dealing with on April 1st here, and I wish it was april fools, but it is not, I have 3-6 feet of snow still covering 100% of my yard, its awesome!

Alright, happy April folks! Keep the training going and the beer flowing!
2015-04-01 9:15 AM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I can't believe it's April already...

Jenn - No apologies for "selfish" posts, that is extremely exciting news! No surgery calls for much celebration!

Sandi - I think you are a rockstar. I haven't biked yet this year and you are already out there doing 26 and 12 mile rides as well as running. Don't worry about not feeling great on the run (and fueling up before is definitely a good idea...even if it's just a banana). It will come!

Devon - I love your photos! Very beautiful

Update - So I decided not to order a shirt this time around b/c the watch kind of cleaned me out for the month I will order one on the next round!
I ran yesterday morning and it felt pretty slow, but my hip didn't hurt so that is the positive. Shoulder still feels good. I'm going to try swimming today after work (which should be interesting since I donated blood yesterday and am generally quite fatigued for about a week after I do it normally). I will hopefully have my new watch though to tell me how slow I am going!!!
2015-04-01 2:26 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Extreme Veteran
Does anyone look at data from their logs? The March totals thread on the main forum made me go back and look. I thought my good race season was 2 summers ago but turns out it was 3.

I need to step it up to get on track with what I was doing 3 years ago!

April starts today and I'm going to try and beat my April 2012 training- my new goal for the month!
2015-04-02 9:07 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by Moonrocket Does anyone look at data from their logs? The March totals thread on the main forum made me go back and look. I thought my good race season was 2 summers ago but turns out it was 3. I need to step it up to get on track with what I was doing 3 years ago! April starts today and I'm going to try and beat my April 2012 training- my new goal for the month!

An interesting concept.

TimeDistanceTimeDistance
Swim6:4013,000yd12:5425,200yd
Bike13:18166.699:24142.58
Run13:2374.7914:4385.87
Total33:23248.87 miles37:02242.77 miles

Surprisingly consistent, overall.  A lot of the bike is trainer miles, which I was just estimating.

For this year,  I think my first goal is to run 100 miles this month.  That's where I'm really lacking right now, and some volume should put me back in good form.  Swimming is just about consistency and biking, well, nobody has to tell me to ride more

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54835 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.