BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-27 2:58 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by rrrunner

Lots going on in the lives of the Manatees with parents, wayward kindegarteners (boys will be boys), injuries and such. I've been keeping up via email and praying for you and yours.

I've been lost in the cacophony of feeling and thought in my head. DS2 leaves for basic training in two weeks. This is not his first time living away from home and I know he will excel in all of it (he always does). But damn I'm gonna miss him. Of the two boys he's more like me. Likes running, wine, coffee, healthy food etc etc etc. He's my partner in crime in sneaking healthy food in to the normal family diet. So hard to let them go sometimes.

Aww, he does sound like a great partner in crime/wine/running, etc., but if he is like you in other ways, he will acknowledge and appreciate you by keeping in touch regularly.  It won't be the same as him being there, but it will help.  So he'd better do it!   Is it possible to plan an event to do together once he returns that you both can be looking forward to?

It'll be pretty much radio silence while he's in baic (till mid April) but after that he'll be in Charleston for about 2 years. We plan to try to do a few of the "biggies" while he's on the east coast.

J had a lot of "radio silence" when he was in. There are a few pics of him surprising his parents on one of his leaves...the shock and joy gets me teary every time.

So glad I have years and years before I have to worry about such things. You'll be a proud and strong and supportive military mom.

2015-01-27 3:43 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Katy, Texas
Just doing a flyby here. Looks like y'all are working hard!

Kind of stressful over here, they're laying off 20-30% of my department in the morning. It's been in the works for a few months and I'm ready to get it over with, but I sure am freaking out now that it's here! Wish me luck....
2015-01-27 3:47 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black Just doing a flyby here. Looks like y'all are working hard! Kind of stressful over here, they're laying off 20-30% of my department in the morning. It's been in the works for a few months and I'm ready to get it over with, but I sure am freaking out now that it's here! Wish me luck....

That's a terrible feeling, having to wait and knowing something is coming but not quite what (good or bad).

Fingers crossed for you!

Matt

PS - just noticed you're in Katy.  I duck/goose hunt down by Garwood (I guess in Texas that almost counts as neighbors). 

2015-01-27 4:27 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by laffinrock

Hi from me too.  As some of you know from my log, I've been in a bit of funk (understatement!!) lately.  I'm slowly working my way out by talking with my coach, changing up my meds, doing fun stuff like going to the National Western Stock Show to see the sheep dog trials, and getting a nice long massage.  I'm thinking that the only way to get my hip and shoulder to settle down is to just take a rest.  I might throw in some very simple core stuff that focuses on my abs and back without engaging my hips too much.  Many thanks to all of you who've send me PMs and inspires.  Your support means more to me than I can express.

In other news, I had a really funny experience lately.  I haven't told any of you this, but my DH is transgender (he was born female).  We'll have been together for 17 years in Feb.  I was recently told (after a visit to Urgent Care for an infection) that I had a "faintly positive" pregnancy test.  I about dropped the phone because I was laughing so hard.  I think the doctor who called me with the news was a little startled because when I told him, he repeated the information he'd given me verbatim, then immediately ended the call.  DH and I still giggle about it.

O.M.G.

HAHAHA! Faintly positive...hahahaha

My boss (for lack of a better word, it;s complicated...) just got back from the Stock Show I believe. That was in Denver, right? I think her uncle or something had a booth there and she was helping run it, just for fun. I request a bolo tie but I see she didn't deliver. Tsk, tsk. 

Yup, the stock show is here in Denver for 2 weeks.  People come from all over the country to show their animals and sell stuff.  There's an unbelievable amount of bling for sale too - rhinestones up the wazoo!  Too bad she didn't get you a bolo, or at least a pink cowboy hat.

I'd have to think that rhinestones up the wazoo wouldn't feel all that great, but man, you'd have the sparkliest of wazoos!!  

a "faintly" sparky one 

Close?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajazzle

OK, now I'm hoping I do not have to explain to our HR department what I am looking at on the internet. 

2015-01-27 4:32 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Jet Black Just doing a flyby here. Looks like y'all are working hard! Kind of stressful over here, they're laying off 20-30% of my department in the morning. It's been in the works for a few months and I'm ready to get it over with, but I sure am freaking out now that it's here! Wish me luck....

Oh yikes.  Sending lots of positive thoughts and hoping for the best for you!

2015-01-27 4:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh, dear manatees, thanks for all the laughs and smiles today, what a way to end the (work) day!  I'm glad I popped in for a visit before heading out the door!

And Janyne, "yous guys" is just those crazy Pittsburgh folk, not all of PA.    Kidding!  Kidding!  But seriously, it is most strongly associated with the Pitt area.

Edited by melbo55 2015-01-27 5:00 PM

2015-01-27 5:19 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

Hi from me too.  As some of you know from my log, I've been in a bit of funk (understatement!!) lately.  I'm slowly working my way out by talking with my coach, changing up my meds, doing fun stuff like going to the National Western Stock Show to see the sheep dog trials, and getting a nice long massage.  I'm thinking that the only way to get my hip and shoulder to settle down is to just take a rest.  I might throw in some very simple core stuff that focuses on my abs and back without engaging my hips too much.  Many thanks to all of you who've send me PMs and inspires.  Your support means more to me than I can express.

In other news, I had a really funny experience lately.  I haven't told any of you this, but my DH is transgender (he was born female).  We'll have been together for 17 years in Feb.  I was recently told (after a visit to Urgent Care for an infection) that I had a "faintly positive" pregnancy test.  I about dropped the phone because I was laughing so hard.  I think the doctor who called me with the news was a little startled because when I told him, he repeated the information he'd given me verbatim, then immediately ended the call.  DH and I still giggle about it.

O.M.G.

My boss (for lack of a better word, it;s complicated...) just got back from the Stock Show I believe. That was in Denver, right? I think her uncle or something had a booth there and she was helping run it, just for fun. I request a bolo tie but I see she didn't deliver. Tsk, tsk. 

Yup, the stock show is here in Denver for 2 weeks.  People come from all over the country to show their animals and sell stuff.  There's an unbelievable amount of bling for sale too - rhinestones up the wazoo!  Too bad she didn't get you a bolo, or at least a pink cowboy hat.

I'd have to think that rhinestones up the wazoo wouldn't feel all that great, but man, you'd have the sparkliest of wazoos!!  

a "faintly" sparky one 

Close?

ACK!!! NSFW NSFW NSFW!!!  That's hilarious.  I don't even want to know how you found that!

Sorry, working people!  I hope you all have jobs tomorrow.

Mary, it's one of the perks of living near several large universities. Taking in the demographics, things like this pass as news sometimes. Then those of us of a more advanced age get to see a "specialty piece" on how/why.

2015-01-27 5:21 PM

User image

Master

Ugh. Never fun. Good luck!

2015-01-27 5:39 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Oh, dear manatees, thanks for all the laughs and smiles today, what a way to end the (work) day!  I'm glad I popped in for a visit before heading out the door!

And Janyne, "yous guys" is just those crazy Pittsburgh folk, not all of PA.    Kidding!  Kidding!  But seriously, it is most strongly associated with the Pitt area.

Speaking in PA...what exactly is up with your liquor laws? You buy 6 packs at the bar? And no more than 2 at a time? 

2015-01-27 7:26 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Elite
I have not been logging my training but I am doing some!

I swam an open water race on Monday, Australia Day, on not much training. Was very happy placing 13th out of 18 in my AG. I had surges of speed but couldn't maintain it.

Water was cold, choppy and dirty and a washing machine throughout. It was exhilarating. Glad to be back doing that, swimmers are a nice bunch as Yanti will attest.

Been running every 2 days Z2 - man i'm slow but no longer walking at all. YAY progress.

Wishing all whose jobs are in the balance to hang on tight.
2015-01-27 7:38 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Speaking in PA...what exactly is up with your liquor laws? You buy 6 packs at the bar? And no more than 2 at a time? 

Buying liquor in PA is a very strange thing.  You go to the package store to buy hard liquor and I believe that's how you get cases of beer.  Smaller quantities of beer are never in a grocery store....not sure any more about little stop & go stores like a gas station....kind of doubt it cause of the way the rest of the liquor laws are.  My brother got so confused trying to buy beer when we camped near Gettysburg years ago--all over our stupid liquor laws.

2015-01-28 1:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

O.M.G.

a "faintly" sparky one 

Close?

Hopefully there's no Bedazzler involvement in that.

HOT TEA BURNS WHEN IT COMES OUT YOUR NOSE!!!!
2015-01-28 6:02 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

As I know from personal experience... the Pod is pretty freakin' awesome at making sure everyone is ok   

Holy crap is that ever funny!  

First of all, how can you be "faintly pregnant"?  Is that kind of like you "faintly" totaled your car?  

Secondly, I have to tell you that when Tony went into the DMV to get his new license, the person helping him took a look at all of his paperwork and very awkwardly asked, "are you a male?"... Um... yes, why?  It turns out that when he did his name change at the age of 21 (19 years ago), the court clerk listed on the official court document that Antone wanted to change HER last name, and no one caught it in all these years.  The DMV person wasn't going to let him get his license until he told her that he would drop his pants for her to inspect the body item of contention if it made her feel better.  She politely declined and issued the license.  

hahaha - to both of ya'll's  stories!  BTW, i never, ever, never use "ya'll", but it just seemed to fit here!!

I'm still trying to figure out if people here really do use "y'all" that much, or if they're forcing the y'all out to make thing sound more Texan... yep, these are the deep philosophical questions my little pea-brain thinks up.  

In the Raleigh area, it's not really used.  Then again, Raleigh is a city of transplants, so much so that Cary is called the Contained Area for Relocated Yankees.  To be honest, when I'm in the counties for work I don't hear much in the way of y'all usage either.  In fact, I think that I got a lot more youse guys in PA that ya'll here in NC.

Youse Guys is what is used by my New Yawk family, mostly TW's brother. "All Y'all" is what I hear from the Texan family. "Y'all" is used by the old timers in little old Englewood. Having lived here off and on since 1973, I qualify as one of them.

2015-01-28 6:03 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Keeping you in my thoughts. Good luck today!

2015-01-28 6:05 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

We just relaxed the "Not until Noon on Sunday" laws in the area. Feel free to purchase anytime! 

2015-01-28 7:46 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
HI KIDS!

Just a quick drive by. Having a great time on vacation skiing the CO rockies! Breck Sunday and Tuesday, Vail Monday, Copper today and tomorrow and Friday TBD. We're skiing ourselves into the ground so I should be good and tired when I get home.

And I'll be getting home to the aftermath of a blizzard - figures. I come out here and all the snow is at home!

OH well - hope everyone is doing well. Gotta go wake the rest of these bums up so we can get to Copper nice and early!!

2015-01-28 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Back in college at Penn State, if you wanted to have a party you would go to the "State Store" for liquor, the "Distributor" for cases and/or kegs, and the "Bottle Shop" for six packs.  The State Stores and Distributors were not open on Sundays at all.  You weren't allowed to carry out more than 144 oz. at a time at the Bottle shops, so if you wanted more you took it out, put it on the ground or gave it to someone, and then went back in.

Oh, and don't forget about the "dry townships" sprinkled about throughout Pennsyltucky, where you can't buy anything, period.

2015-01-28 7:50 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by cdban66

We just relaxed the "Not until Noon on Sunday" laws in the area. Feel free to purchase anytime! 

That's important if you want to get yo drink on early.

2015-01-28 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ouch! 

Fingers crossed...

2015-01-28 9:09 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Katy, Texas
Good news. I get to keep my job.
2015-01-28 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black Good news. I get to keep my job.

Bad news, you get to do 20-30% more work :-(  Hang in there!

2015-01-28 9:16 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Jet Black Good news. I get to keep my job.

Whew!!  That's great news, even if it's hard to see a bunch of coworkers let go.  Hope that doesn't mean that the rest of you aren't worked into the ground picking up the slack.

2015-01-28 9:55 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I feel like I'm going to puke. Someone pass me a beer.
2015-01-28 10:05 AM

User image

Master

Well, that ^^^ wasn't quite the segue I thought I'd use, but... (and it's safe for work unless you live somewhere that doesn't allow beer before noon )

http://m.runnersworld.com/photos/15-great-post-run-beers?adbid=10152557881411987&adbpl=fb&adbpr=9815486986&cid=socNut_20150119_38903297

2015-01-28 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Jet Black I feel like I'm going to puke. Someone pass me a beer.

You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning.  I am sorry this isn't going well for you.  I hope that it somehow gets better over the next few days.  

BTW, who does this on a Wednesday? Don't these things usually happen on Friday around 4:00?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54781 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.