General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you pay for a cycle class at a Tri shop? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-07 6:13 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: What would you pay for a cycle class at a Tri shop?
Hello everyone!
I posted here before about this, but really trying to nail down specifics and get the ball rolling.
I'm starting a cycling class (where people bring their own bikes/trainers) at a local tri shop and trying to figure out all the details and wanted to know what else is out there like it or get any ideas.

The goal is to start with one class a week - 1 hour with some good stretch time after. Would be an interval based class, with anything ranging from tempo to VO2 max emphasis. Once I see what need there is, I can better plan the workouts, but for now just getting people in the door with their bikes to get a good 60 min workout with no traffic, good tunes and camaraderie.
I've been teaching cycle classes for 9 years but I'm not "that" spin instructor, that does crazy on the bike that has no training benefit. This class would be geared to cyclists, triathletes or anyone that wants an efficient way to get their bike training in for the day, on their own bike.

While I would love to offer free classes, it does take quite a bit of time, effort and cash(for music) for me to put these workouts together, so after an initial trial run, I would need to charge for the classes. I just don't know how much or what people would be willing to pay.
I was hoping to do a punch card type system so people can just pay upfront and not as you go (but that would be available as well on a drop in basis.

Have any of you taken classes like these, was there a charge/donation for them and if so, how much was it?
Any info or suggestions you might have would be appreciated. I've talked to the owner of the shop quite extensively and she assures me that there are people that have been asking for classes like these. I just hope it works, for I think it is something that could really be a benefit to riders in the area and especially to those that could be either injured, new or not comfortable riding out on the road.

thanks so much!

2015-01-07 6:24 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: What would you pay for a cycle class at a Tri shop?

$8 - $10 per session is what I have seen.  Pre-purchased punch card of ten sessions gets you a free session.

2015-01-07 7:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi, Our town is fairly Triathlon focused and I've attended cycling classes by a local pro for the last two years.  Last night was our first session of 2015 and I paid $360 (Cdn) for 3 session per week up to March 14th.  The schedule is 29 sessions on Tuesday/ Thursday and Saturday.  The coach will pro-rate the fees for anyone who will be travelling and after 4 to 6 classes he won't allow people to start because the classes are pretty intense and get more so as we pass the weeks.  Sometime this week or next we'll do a 20minTT and repeat it in the last week again.

Tuesday and Thursday are 1hour (a later class is 1:15)

Saturday starts out at 1:30 for the 1st 4# Saturdays then we skip Feb 14th (he says we'll likely do a snowshoeing trip up to our local Ski hill that day). Then the 6th & 7th sessions are 2:00/ 8th & 9th sessions are 2:30 then the last session (March 14th) is a 3hour session.  They all go by surprisingly fast.  I think it totals 38 hours of cycling.

The idea is that after March 14th we can get outside right away but it usually is too cool to ride until the end of March.

The classes are held in a fairly large meeting room in our local rec centre and he has about 25 people per session. (he has sessions at noon, 4:30 and 5:45 on Tuesday/Thursday.  Some Saturdays (7:30am!!) have been as high as 40 people.

I find these classes very hard workouts and the towel I have under my bike is definitely necessary.  I've tried training on my own and I easily get a significantly harder workout with the class than I can do on my own plus I don't miss any classes whereas on my own I'd lose all consistency.

I hope this helps.

2015-01-07 7:15 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

The place I go to cost $25 for walk-ins (I get it for $20 with a tri club discount) for a 90 minute session.  His setup includes computrainers so we don't need to bring our own trainers.  He provides structured seasonal workouts plus free performance testing (to determine your FTP). He provides discounts if you pay for a package of sessions.

If I was going to a place where I provided my own trainer in a setup like you describe, my inclination would be that $10/session would get me in the door.  Above that $ you need to provide additional services.

2015-01-07 7:51 PM
in reply to: #5080924

I suspect it could be a tough sell in some locations. Where I live there are a couple of bike shops/tri shops that offer free trainer sessions during the winter. I really have no idea how they are structured or if they are well attended. I think marketing the merits of your sessions and expertise would be essential to get a consistent following. I would pay ~$10 for a class that really stood out as exceptional.
2015-01-07 8:37 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

Scottsdale, AZ
This is exactly what I was hoping for! So helpful! Thank you so much! Would love to hear more!

2015-01-08 3:47 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Probably $10 max. It would need to be a punch card system to really make it work for me, as my schedule varies too much from day to day and I might not be able to make set classes or have them fit well into my other training. Our old tri club in my hometown (now out of business) had great group Computrainer sessions which I really would prefer to having to bring my own trainer. I think they were $25 on a walk-in basis and $12.50 for those who had paid a yearly membship fee to join the club. $25 would not have brought me in, $12.50, up to maybe $15 (for a longer session like 90-120 minutes) might on a once a week basis. I don't have a power meter and if I can't ride outdoors, I enjoy seeing the power numbers, doing a structured workout, and sharing the suffering with others. It's one reason I still have a gym membership here--so I can use the watt meter on the spin bikes and do a workout with other people around, Not a class and not really ideal, but sometimes I go crazy cycling solo in my study and doing everything by RPE.
2015-01-08 5:46 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
With the fact that people need to bring their own trainers, I would say $10 is about the right price. Consider walk-in price vs. a pre-paid (either 10 session clip card or a season pass)... you should be able to retain a larger number of people with a pre-paid plan. It's better to make $8 every week than to make $10 2-3 times...
2015-01-08 7:07 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I have no experience with this, but here is my $.02. Have you thought about an annual fee (or seasonal if you just do winter)? Maybe something with benefits from the shop that you would train at. I personally wouldn't be interested in something like that if it didn't have a group ride aspect to it, but thats just me.
2015-01-08 7:34 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Pro

I'm not lugging my trainer....period.  The only way I would is if the tri shop offered some gear discount or something along those lines if I signed up for a block of classes.  I'd be happy to pay $20 - $30 for a computrainer setup and workout.....but I wouldn't pay $1 just to haul my trainer and ride with some other folks.  Cavendish and some others put out some pretty decent DVD workouts to use at home ......I'd spend my money there just for the convenience.

2015-01-08 8:51 AM
in reply to: TurtleMan77

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Around $10 seems right.  We have some local folks who are doing something similar with a weekly off-season strength & flexibility class.

Mark

2015-01-08 9:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Eh that's tough to say.  I know a local computrainer studio charges $150 upfront for an 8 week series, and trainer road is $10 per month.  So I have two options at each end of the spectrum. Local rides with SAG support in the area are around $5... So I'd say $5 per person per session; just to get them in the door. 

One local shop offers free trainer sessions twice a week, but they are video instructions not led by an actual instructor which I think is the difference in your scenario. 

Edited by Clempson 2015-01-08 9:33 AM
2015-01-08 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Two of our local bike shops offer trainer classes (one on Tues and one on Thurs) where a limited number of trainers are provided for whoever reserves them, and it's all provided for free. 

It's already time consuming to bring my bike to a shop for a trainer class.  If I had to pay for it then I would just ride in my garage.  Most of the time I ride in the garage alone anyway.

2015-01-08 9:58 AM

User image

Pro

Local computrainer classes by a well known coach:

8 Weeks, Class Duration: 1 hour
1 CompuTrainer Class/Week: $150
2 CompuTrainer Classes/Week: $270 

Punch Card:
5 classes -- $110 
10 classes -- $200 

Local (now out of business) spin classes where you could bring your bike and use their trainers:

$5 on Thurs & Fri, $10-15 all other days

2015-01-08 10:06 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I pay $146 dollars for 18 weeks once a week or double that for twice a week, each class is 2 hrs approximately 1 1/2 hours of riding and 30 minutes of Core and stretch to finish off , this is with a certified Tri coach as the instructor. drop ins are $20 per session. Pretty good deal in My book.
2015-01-08 3:31 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

You'd have to pay me more than $10 to move my bike and trainer to another room. If it was a group computrainer type environment, that'd be a different story. Still, I think $10/class is the upper end of what would be tolerable, for me.

2015-01-08 3:48 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I did this type of thing once, it was a local tri coach/team and it was free. And such a pain in the butt to haul my stuff around. We had inclement weather that day (sheets of ice) and the studio they had was on the 2nd floor so you had to haul your trainer, bike and gear up a flight of stairs after sliding in from the iced over parking lot. 

While it was a good workout, I don't think I would ever do it again, even if it were free.

2015-01-08 4:03 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks so much for all the replies! I appreciate all the feedback!

I understand not wanting to haul your stuff around - I'm the same way. Right now I'm considering teaching classes here and another studio, so I'd be dragging my stuff around a LOT. Not ideal but I'm willing to do it if the people will come I don't know if I'd do it myself if someone else was teaching, but I'm very disciplined to ride my trainer at home.

There will be some spare trainers there (I think) so if someone doesn't have one, or needs to borrow, it would be available.

Looks like around $5-10 a session, that seems very reasonable to me! Wish I had access to a Computrainer set up that I could use with 5-10 people, that would be amazing and I would love to coach those sessions. But I'm working with what I have.

For those of you that do indeed do this, how do you pay (paypal, pay the shop, pay the instructor?) AND, did they have you sign some sort of liability wavier?
Did you have to call to reserve your spot before hand, or just show up? Just some details I'm working on. THANKS!!
2015-01-08 5:29 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by runspingirl

I understand not wanting to haul your stuff around - I'm the same way. Right now I'm considering teaching classes here and another studio, so I'd be dragging my stuff around a LOT. Not ideal but I'm willing to do it if the people will come I don't know if I'd do it myself if someone else was teaching, but I'm very disciplined to ride my trainer at home.

I spend a significant number of nights away from home but want to get in my training so I bring my Computrainer with me a lot. For years I just threw it all in the car and brought it in to wherever I was staying. It often took 3-4 trips to get everything inside. Last year I bought a giant suitcase from a goodwill store that fits everything associated with the CT inside. Clip a box fan to the bag carry strap and everything can be inside in one trip. Wish I would have thought of this years ago. It makes taking the CT with me markedly easier. Still a pain, but less of a pain.
2015-01-08 5:35 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
Lugging my bike and trainer would be a deal killer. That plus water bottles, shoes, etc. makes it even less likely. As stated above, the comparable versus Trainerroad at $10 per month where I can ride as much as I want is not good. I know some people need the camaraderie and the core work is good but I would think you should go punch card or flat monthly fee with unlimited classes?
2015-01-08 6:32 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

Originally posted by runspingirl Thanks so much for all the replies! I appreciate all the feedback! I understand not wanting to haul your stuff around - I'm the same way. Right now I'm considering teaching classes here and another studio, so I'd be dragging my stuff around a LOT. Not ideal but I'm willing to do it if the people will come I don't know if I'd do it myself if someone else was teaching, but I'm very disciplined to ride my trainer at home. There will be some spare trainers there (I think) so if someone doesn't have one, or needs to borrow, it would be available. Looks like around $5-10 a session, that seems very reasonable to me! Wish I had access to a Computrainer set up that I could use with 5-10 people, that would be amazing and I would love to coach those sessions. But I'm working with what I have. For those of you that do indeed do this, how do you pay (paypal, pay the shop, pay the instructor?) AND, did they have you sign some sort of liability wavier? Did you have to call to reserve your spot before hand, or just show up? Just some details I'm working on. THANKS!!

Susan,

To give you some ideas of the above, check out my coach's setup...

http://endeavorperformance.com/training/training-schedule/#Thu

His system allows you to go online to reserve and pay for a spot on the schedule.

2015-01-08 6:48 PM
in reply to: #5080924

User image

Champion
MA
Some shops around here, you leave your bike all winter but they have a number of sessions per week. Here in greater Boston there are many places that offer classes. Do some google searching for what is available in your area and the cost. Most do longer class on weekend.
2015-01-08 8:07 PM

User image

Someone in our Tri club does classes at $10 for members $15 for non-members. $10 seems reasonable enough, but I already pay for trainer road and have a tv out in the garage... so I probably won't ever go. I'm very shy and self conscious about being slow which means the group aspect doesn't do a lot for me.
2015-01-08 8:34 PM
in reply to: #5081396

Getting people through the door is crucial. People will automatically assume the class sucks if attendance is poor. Maybe consider a promo to encourage people sign up. It may not make as much money the first time around as you hope.

Is there anything else you can sweeten the pot? Selling it as a preseason training program (for days they train at home). One with a defined schedule and goals (as opposed to every class being the same with different music). Something that appeals to beginners and more experienced people. You could provide an outline for the workouts for the course to show you have experience/knowledge that they would be willing to pay to access. It may also encourage some people to sign up for more classes so they don't miss anything.

Finally, I agree with others that a punch card system encouraging people to pay upfront would be best for you (ie buy 6 sessions get one free).
2015-01-09 8:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I agree probably the biggest pain for me is moving all my stuff every week, but they do offer the option of storing your bike & trainer there for an additional fee which most people who do the twice a week thing take advantage of, but still probably half the class move bike and trainer in and out every class its a bit of a pain but not a deal breaker for me by any mean's I do the Saturday morning class then usually do a trainer road workout at home on Wednesday eve. I like the group suffering it make it easier to take for me anyhow .

Edited by RRH_88 2015-01-09 8:55 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you pay for a cycle class at a Tri shop? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Buying tri stuff with no local tri shop.

Started by Tiffanator
Views: 960 Posts: 5

2011-06-20 7:13 PM Rickz

cycling shops in central NJ

Started by temoniprince
Views: 963 Posts: 10

2011-05-23 7:50 PM temoniprince

Let's see your cycling room/training room/bike shop

Started by newbie13
Views: 1337 Posts: 9

2007-09-07 7:30 PM kaitlinrose

Visiting So.Cal - Cycling Shop

Started by amyh
Views: 627 Posts: 3

2006-12-21 4:16 PM pchcruiser

Hey Minneapolis--Need to know a good Tri-Bike Shop-Lifetime Fitness Tri

Started by ladavidson
Views: 818 Posts: 3

2005-04-12 9:41 AM kelpeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 19, 2004
author : Machiavelo
comments : 0
Do you have a bicycle and do not know where to begin to find one if you do not? How should go about choosing a bicycle that will be best suited for your needs?