General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trainer road Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-12 2:49 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: trainer road
What is everyone's opinion of trainerroad? My progress has been pretty stagnant over the last couple of years and I want to really try to step it up. I've always trained on my own without any real structure or plan. I have finally decided I am going to fork out the money and start training with power. I was looking at trainerroad and it looks like it would provide some structure. Have you had experience with trainerroad and have you been successful with it? I'd appreciate any input.

2015-01-12 2:55 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: trainer road
TR is great. Inexpensive. Effective. Easy to use. Endless workouts. Easy to track your progress and test yourself. The people that work there and run the place give you super fast response time and genuinely seem to like to help you out if you need it. Pair it up with some Sufferfest videos and you'll be screaming. They also have a lot of plans to follow as well. It's been mentioned over and over on the forums but it's a really good product.
2015-01-12 3:00 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by jonD81 TR is great. Inexpensive. Effective. Easy to use. Endless workouts. Easy to track your progress and test yourself. The people that work there and run the place give you super fast response time and genuinely seem to like to help you out if you need it. Pair it up with some Sufferfest videos and you'll be screaming. They also have a lot of plans to follow as well. It's been mentioned over and over on the forums but it's a really good product.

All of this, and doubly so on the bold.  Transformed the way I train indoors.

2015-01-12 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

TR is good stuff.  Don't get caught up in the whole "accuracy" thing.  You want consistency and TR is that.

2015-01-12 3:14 PM
in reply to: #5082680

nashville, Tennessee
Thanks a lot. Please excuse my idiocy but when you say pair it up with sufferfest videos, what does each program do? If trainer road provides you with a "specific" type of workout, what does sufferfest do? Is it just a video to go along with the workout?
2015-01-12 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by mchadcota2

What is everyone's opinion of trainerroad? My progress has been pretty stagnant over the last couple of years and I want to really try to step it up. I've always trained on my own without any real structure or plan. I have finally decided I am going to fork out the money and start training with power. I was looking at trainerroad and it looks like it would provide some structure. Have you had experience with trainerroad and have you been successful with it? I'd appreciate any input.

I think TR and sufferfest has its time and place but you must consistent be asking yourself 2 things over the long term.

1. Is this sustainable?

2. Are my numbers improving?

2015-01-12 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by mchadcota2 Thanks a lot. Please excuse my idiocy but when you say pair it up with sufferfest videos, what does each program do? If trainer road provides you with a "specific" type of workout, what does sufferfest do? Is it just a video to go along with the workout?

Sufferfest by itself is a video that uses pro race footage as part of a workout where they outline the interval time as well as effort level.  Trainerroad has a built in video player in their client that allows you to play these videos while riding along with their workout for that given video.  What this does is let you know EXACTLY how hard you need to go to make the interval that was intended at that time.

They have many different types of workouts.  In trainerroad's interface you can filter workouts by which system (aerobic, VO2, Threshold, etc) that you want to work.  Each Sufferfest video has a different goal for their workouts, but they're all hard.  

2015-01-12 3:36 PM
in reply to: #5082699

nashville, Tennessee
Got it! Thanks msteiner! I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks for all the info
2015-01-12 3:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I have it and used about 3 months. LOVE it. Their app works well too now. I combine it with SufferFest videos. Works well.
2015-01-12 8:22 PM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

Extreme Veteran
Used it for years.

Excellent stuff with the virtual power, FTP tests, lots of workouts, video integration.

Now I can't go through winter without it.
2015-01-13 7:28 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
What everyone else said. Here is a real life story of TR improvement.

I started as a beta tester. Like others, without this software, I would just mindlessly pedal along with no real structure. After I got TR, I learned a whole lot about my bike fitness, cadence, power, etc., which really helped me with my racing. I only used virtual power until late 2014, when I got my Quarq.

My first FTP test was 216 and then I progressed to 225*, 251, 278 and 260. The fall off was due to lack of bike training/marathon training.
*I did not know how to do a proper FTP test on this one

I followed the stock plans, starting with base, build, and then once race season rolled around, I did a lot of the Time Crunched workouts during the week with long rides on the weekend.

My bike splits in tris steadily improved and my runs were also much better. Now a lot of that can be attributed to better fitness overall, but TR made was probably the key piece in all of this.

In the 2012 Racine HIM, I did a 3:22 bike split with a death march run. High heat index was a contributor, but overall, a sucky performance.
2013 Racine HIM bike split was 2:58, with a 2:24 run (I am not fast!). That was all Trainer Road.

2015-01-13 11:17 AM
in reply to: cartman1966

nashville, Tennessee
Originally posted by cartman1966

What everyone else said. Here is a real life story of TR improvement.

I started as a beta tester. Like others, without this software, I would just mindlessly pedal along with no real structure. After I got TR, I learned a whole lot about my bike fitness, cadence, power, etc., which really helped me with my racing. I only used virtual power until late 2014, when I got my Quarq.

My first FTP test was 216 and then I progressed to 225*, 251, 278 and 260. The fall off was due to lack of bike training/marathon training.
*I did not know how to do a proper FTP test on this one

I followed the stock plans, starting with base, build, and then once race season rolled around, I did a lot of the Time Crunched workouts during the week with long rides on the weekend.

My bike splits in tris steadily improved and my runs were also much better. Now a lot of that can be attributed to better fitness overall, but TR made was probably the key piece in all of this.

In the 2012 Racine HIM, I did a 3:22 bike split with a death march run. High heat index was a contributor, but overall, a sucky performance.
2013 Racine HIM bike split was 2:58, with a 2:24 run (I am not fast!). That was all Trainer Road.

BOOM! That is awesome! I think you have sold me. Thanks a lot for taking the time.
2015-01-13 9:05 PM
in reply to: #5082713

User image

, North Carolina
What all is required to get started on trainer road, equipment wise?
2015-01-14 1:29 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Extreme Veteran
What you need is an actual bike trainer, ( preferably one supported by trainer road ) as well as a speed sensor, either bluetooth or ant+ ( I use a garmin speed/cadence sensor ) and either an ant+ or bluetooth dongle, or in the case of iphone users, simply the bluetooth connectivity.

I also use a heart rate monitor.

Info here:

http://www.trainerroad.com/getting-started
2015-01-14 7:00 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by jonD81 TR is great. Inexpensive. Effective. Easy to use. Endless workouts. Easy to track your progress and test yourself. The people that work there and run the place give you super fast response time and genuinely seem to like to help you out if you need it. Pair it up with some Sufferfest videos and you'll be screaming. They also have a lot of plans to follow as well. It's been mentioned over and over on the forums but it's a really good product.

What he said, doubly so! I actually find myself looking forward to my trainer sessions now. I stream from my laptop to a large tv. If you are doing trainer road without the Sufferfest videos you can position it towards the bottom of the screen to allow you to watch Netflix. If I'm really lucky my wife or kids come and spend some time on the treadmill next to me... not so much with the Sufferfest videos. While they enjoy watching me suffer, they get tired of watching people's backsides on the videos after just a few minutes
2015-01-14 8:30 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Toefuzz

What he said, doubly so! I actually find myself looking forward to my trainer sessions now. I stream from my laptop to a large tv. If you are doing trainer road without the Sufferfest videos you can position it towards the bottom of the screen to allow you to watch Netflix. If I'm really lucky my wife or kids come and spend some time on the treadmill next to me... not so much with the Sufferfest videos. While they enjoy watching me suffer, they get tired of watching people's backsides on the videos after just a few minutes

My fiance spun on her bike as I was doing A Very Dark Place.  When the video kept saying in the beginning how you were going to suffer until the light fades she asked "Are you going to be ok?"  I responded "probably not..." and got ready for the first interval.

2015-01-14 8:54 AM

nashville, Tennessee
I've been reading up on trainer road and it looks like it may not work with what I have. Maybe you folks can confirm this? I do not have a laptop. I have the ipad 2nd generation and an iphone 4. And several kindle fires that are my kids.(sure that won't work) So will I have to get a newer generation ipad in order to use trainer road?
2015-01-14 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

I've been reading up on trainer road and it looks like it may not work with what I have. Maybe you folks can confirm this? I do not have a laptop. I have the ipad 2nd generation and an iphone 4. And several kindle fires that are my kids.(sure that won't work) So will I have to get a newer generation ipad in order to use trainer road?

It will work with older iPad but you need to get the ANT+ accessory (Wahoo's reportedly works better than the Garmin one).

For my 2 cents on Trainerroad, it is a fantastic way to alleviate boredom of trainer rides. Pairing it with sufferfest is fantastic, as well as just dropping a movie in and spin away. The only thing missing for me is having a way to drop Xbox into TR (as I prefer to play while riding).

2015-01-14 9:06 AM
in reply to: mikerunkle

nashville, Tennessee
I saw that Wahoo has a wahoo key so I guess that would be all I need? And you said "drop a movie in". So would the trainer road messages that guide you through the workout just pop up while the movie is playing?
2015-01-14 9:07 AM
in reply to: mikerunkle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by mikerunkle
Originally posted by mchadcota2 I've been reading up on trainer road and it looks like it may not work with what I have. Maybe you folks can confirm this? I do not have a laptop. I have the ipad 2nd generation and an iphone 4. And several kindle fires that are my kids.(sure that won't work) So will I have to get a newer generation ipad in order to use trainer road?
It will work with older iPad but you need to get the ANT+ accessory (Wahoo's reportedly works better than the Garmin one). For my 2 cents on Trainerroad, it is a fantastic way to alleviate boredom of trainer rides. Pairing it with sufferfest is fantastic, as well as just dropping a movie in and spin away. The only thing missing for me is having a way to drop Xbox into TR (as I prefer to play while riding).

I don't see how anyone can play a game while riding on the trainer.  I know people do it, but I would have to ride crazy easy to have a chance of it working.

2015-01-14 9:15 AM

nashville, Tennessee

Originally posted by mikerunkle
Originally posted by mchadcota2 I've been reading up on trainer road and it looks like it may not work with what I have. Maybe you folks can confirm this? I do not have a laptop. I have the ipad 2nd generation and an iphone 4. And several kindle fires that are my kids.(sure that won't work) So will I have to get a newer generation ipad in order to use trainer road?
It will work with older iPad but you need to get the ANT+ accessory (Wahoo's reportedly works better than the Garmin one). For my 2 cents on Trainerroad, it is a fantastic way to alleviate boredom of trainer rides. Pairing it with sufferfest is fantastic, as well as just dropping a movie in and spin away. The only thing missing for me is having a way to drop Xbox into TR (as I prefer to play while riding).

I don't see how anyone can play a game while riding on the trainer.  I know people do it, but I would have to ride crazy easy to have a chance of it working.

x4 msteiner. I have a hard time even watching movies because sometimes I'm hurting too bad to pay attention.

2015-01-14 10:13 AM

User image

It really gets strange when the popup instructions from TR line up with whatever movie you are watching, especially when you ride with subtitles on (so my family doesn't have to listen to whatever I'm watching)! My son and I were watching Firefly last night and it was eerie how often the TR instructions lined up with the dialogue from the show.
2015-01-14 5:45 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by Toefuzz It really gets strange when the popup instructions from TR line up with whatever movie you are watching, especially when you ride with subtitles on (so my family doesn't have to listen to whatever I'm watching)! My son and I were watching Firefly last night and it was eerie how often the TR instructions lined up with the dialogue from the show.

I picked up a set of wireless headphones (Soundblaster Tactic 3D Rage Wireless) for my computer to use while riding.  They connect to the computer via a USB stick (the stick works fine through a USB hub (as does the Garmin ANT stick), so no worries of not being able to have enough USB ports).

They also have the added benefit of blocking out the noise from the trainer and box fans while allowing me to keep volume at an acceptable level.

2015-01-14 6:20 PM

User image

Master

I saw that Wahoo has a wahoo key so I guess that would be all I need? And you said "drop a movie in". So would the trainer road messages that guide you through the workout just pop up while the movie is playing?

The IOS app doesn't have the ability to play a movie concurrent with the workout yet. That capability is planned to be released at a later date.
2015-01-15 1:07 AM

They are still working on the new app for the Ipad. It's been about two weeks since I last asked and the answer was it was getting close. If you go to thier facebook page and ask questions, they answer pretty quick. What kind of trainer aer you using?
Joe
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trainer road Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Trainer Road on an Unsupported Trainer

Started by guitarfrk75
Views: 1516 Posts: 6

2013-02-21 10:34 AM reidweber

Trainer Road FTP testing

Started by cartman1966
Views: 4446 Posts: 22

2012-02-26 11:34 AM npearson99

Trainer...Road or TT

Started by GoGoGo
Views: 1186 Posts: 12

2010-10-18 3:04 PM running2far

Trainer & Road bike

Started by hornsfan
Views: 541 Posts: 6

2009-06-30 8:52 AM dewybuck

Kinetic Bike Trainer - Road Machine

Started by trishie
Views: 1251 Posts: 7

2009-06-13 8:17 AM firstteeth
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : November 5, 2010
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.