General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WTC buys 2 new Cal. races, fees go up >100% Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-15 4:57 PM

User image

Subject: WTC buys 2 new Cal. races, fees go up >100%

I generally like WTC and their product, but this is beyond ridiculous.

Big Kahuna in Santa Cruz is now Santa Cruz 70.3    Fees went up approx $100

But Superfrog in San Diego, now Superfrog 70.3, went from 170 early reg to 500, no early or lat reg.  Just 500

I am also a free market guy, and support that the market will bear any price if there is demand, but I can't see the logic of the 500 entry for a flat looped course with lots of sand running......I know they have their analyses and believe that they can support the race at that fee, but that jump is ridiculous. 

2015-01-15 6:34 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: WTC buys 2 new Cal. races, fees go up >100%

The silly thing is, SuperFrog will probably sell out a lot faster than it did before it was rebranded.

The rush for Oceanside has been increasing and now with a second race, all those folks who get skunked out of registering for Oceanside will move over to SuperFrog.

I agree it does suck that they jacked up the fees so much. MAYBE it means that the sellout point will move farther out on the calendar with two races.

I also think SuperFrog might be a better alternative for folks living in harsh winter locations because it is at the end of the season. Heck, Oceanside is so early in the season even the locals have not had time to work on their tan.

2015-01-15 7:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Has it been confirmed that it's not a typo, and that the real price isn't $300.  The military early entry price of $199 seems fair for a race that is normally $300 for general entry.

Military Entry
$199 USD open to 1/30/2015

$215 USD 1/31/2015 to 3/1/2015
$250 USD 3/2/2015 to 8/12/2015
$275 USD 8/13/2015 to close 

Edited by Jason N 2015-01-15 7:47 PM
2015-01-15 7:54 PM
in reply to: WaterDog66

User image

Tim, you think it will s/o still? I gotta call it now and say no sellout. If it does I've lost all hope in triathletes hope you're well
2015-01-15 7:56 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

Has it been confirmed that it's not a typo, and that the real price isn't $300.  The military early entry price of $199 seems fair for a race that is normally $300 for general entry.

Military Entry

No. That would spoIl the fun. It's been mentioned a few times on the facebook site and there's been no renunciation of it. Also, there is no tiered price structure like every other non-WC race (and te military entries)
2015-01-15 7:59 PM

User image

Pro

LOTS of triathlon out there besides WTC.......just saying.

2015-01-15 9:13 PM

User image

Nm

Edited by ChrisM 2015-01-15 9:43 PM
2015-01-15 9:53 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Military Entry

Is the possible typo on price of distance?
2015-01-15 11:53 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Ironman's gobbling up races like I do Christmas dinner ...

Even at the full iron distance there's a mind-boggling number of new races on the calendar, most recently IM Vichy (France) and IM Maastricht (Netherlands) for this year Aug/Sep. I think Vichy was a half they acquired and are now offering both half and full.

Quality's starting to go downhill (just my generalized opinion). I know races often remain with or are leased out to local organizers, but WTC is still spreading itself too thin. And while inaugural races are always a crapshoot (why, oh why do I keep doing them?!*), IM ones are starting to turn out like cheap assembly line items.

*yes, there's a good reason, relatively unrelated to WTC itself

2015-01-16 6:54 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have my doubts about IM Vietnam 70.3 as well. That wasn't cheap either. (Are you in for it, Yanti?) Know I am taking a risk doing it their first time. But we have so few races here (Metasports's Vietnam Tri and now Laguna Lang Co have both bit the dust; the only other tri In country that know of is a poorly organized off-road race) and going to other countries to race is expensive and logistically tough. But planning to be self-sufficient with fluids and nutrition for bike and run, just in case.
2015-01-16 8:43 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Hot Runner I have my doubts about IM Vietnam 70.3 as well. That wasn't cheap either. (Are you in for it, Yanti?) Know I am taking a risk doing it their first time. But we have so few races here (Metasports's Vietnam Tri and now Laguna Lang Co have both bit the dust; the only other tri In country that know of is a poorly organized off-road race) and going to other countries to race is expensive and logistically tough. But planning to be self-sufficient with fluids and nutrition for bike and run, just in case.

Sad thing is, Vietnam IS still cheap compared to other WTC-branded halfs and fulls.

YES, I'm coming!!! Kingsley and I both! We get to meet the Great Hot Runner??? YEEEEEES!!!!!

There's a contingent of about SIXTY athletes coming from Indonesia! Yikes!

2015-01-16 8:50 AM

User image

Pro

I've raced SuperFrog... and it's Olympic distance sister, SuperSeal.

I'm BUMMED that WTC is taking it over

But Moki Martin isn't getting any younger, and maybe he thought this was the best way to preserve the legacy?

ETA: Ironman just posted this:

"We wanted to help clarify the general entry fee for the new IRONMAN 70.3 SUPERFROG on Sept. 27.

In continuation of military support, $200 of each general entry will go to the Navy SEAL Foundation, the Optimists Club of Coronado and the Islander Sports Foundation through the IRONMAN Foundation."

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2015-01-16 8:56 AM
2015-01-16 9:30 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

But Moki Martin isn't getting any younger, and maybe he thought this was the best way to preserve the legacy?

"We wanted to help clarify the general entry fee for the new IRONMAN 70.3 SUPERFROG on Sept. 27.

In continuation of military support, $200 of each general entry will go to the Navy SEAL Foundation, the Optimists Club of Coronado and the Islander Sports Foundation through the IRONMAN Foundation."

Since this is also one of 3 qualification races for the 2015 Kona Military division I can understand the pricing structure.  IM must know the demographics for the non-military that would/will do this race to have a $500 price point regardless of the amount for charity. 

2015-01-16 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

So does all $200 go to the donations, or does some go to WTC's bottomline or payroll just like they do with foundation slots. Do I get a tax deduction for doing this race? Will they give me a tax ID number if I sign up? Why do they force the "donation" on us, why can't we choose if we want to and how much we want to donate?

Point is this no matter where the money goes they have increase the reg price >100%.

Edited by bcagle25 2015-01-16 9:33 AM
2015-01-16 9:37 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by bcagle25

So does all $200 go to the donations, or does some go to WTC's bottomline or payroll just like they do with foundation slots. Do I get a tax deduction for doing this race? Will they give me a tax ID number if I sign up? Why do they force the "donation" on us, why can't we choose if we want to and how much we want to donate? Point is this no matter where the money goes they have increase the reg price >100%.
Someone on ST is asking via twitter if its tax-deductible.  I agree about the forced donation aspect. 

2015-01-16 9:41 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Donto

Since this is also one of 3 qualification races for the 2015 Kona Military division I can understand the pricing structure.  IM must know the demographics for the non-military that would/will do this race to have a $500 price point regardless of the amount for charity. 

I'm military and I'm not happy with the change. They may draw more military... but not this Soldier. 

2015-01-16 9:43 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by bcagle25

So does all $200 go to the donations, or does some go to WTC's bottomline or payroll just like they do with foundation slots. Do I get a tax deduction for doing this race? Will they give me a tax ID number if I sign up? Why do they force the "donation" on us, why can't we choose if we want to and how much we want to donate? Point is this no matter where the money goes they have increase the reg price >100%.
Someone on ST is asking via twitter if its tax-deductible.  I agree about the forced donation aspect. 

Yup, $200 is tax-deductible. 

BUT, then your money is going to the charities they choose. 

2015-01-16 11:49 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

The Superfrog 70.3 page on ironman.com is no longer available......  

2015-01-16 12:03 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I fear that if WTC buys up too many of the popular races, that if they ever decide to get out of the "racing business" or needs to downsize, then that decision may cause the loss of many good races.

As an analogy, if I had my money divided into 4 mutual fund companies, then one "bought up" the other three THEN went under?  I lose all my money.  Before, I would only lose 1/4th.  Simplified, but that's my fear.  They bought Silverman here in Vegas.  My favorite local race.  Eliminated the full distance option and turned it into Silverman 70.3.  If WTC cuts back and pulls out, I doubt anyone will step up and keep it going, at least for a couple years.

2015-01-16 12:17 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Originally posted by ChrisM Tim, you think it will s/o still? I gotta call it now and say no sellout. If it does I've lost all hope in triathletes hope you're well

No way of knowing for sure until we get through a season but all of the folks I have talked to around town are planning on jumping into SuperFrog now that IMCal sold out so quickly.

IMCal makes a great tune up (With it being so early in the season) but SuperFrog at the end looks like a great end of season "A" Race. Glad to see they got the pricing sorted out and $200 seems a bit more reasonable.

I will probably stick with St Geo and/or Tahoe at least for 2015 and see how things shake out.

Doing great, thanks for asking Chris. I was up in your area over the holidays for Operation Jack. It was the day after Christmas or I would have looked you up.

2015-01-16 12:32 PM

User image

Originally posted by WaterDog66

Originally posted by ChrisM Tim, you think it will s/o still? I gotta call it now and say no sellout. If it does I've lost all hope in triathletes hope you're well

No way of knowing for sure until we get through a season but all of the folks I have talked to around town are planning on jumping into SuperFrog now that IMCal sold out so quickly.

IMCal makes a great tune up (With it being so early in the season) but SuperFrog at the end looks like a great end of season "A" Race. Glad to see they got the pricing sorted out and $200 seems a bit more reasonable.

I will probably stick with St Geo and/or Tahoe at least for 2015 and see how things shake out.

Doing great, thanks for asking Chris. I was up in your area over the holidays for Operation Jack. It was the day after Christmas or I would have looked you up.

The registration page has now changed, it is a "foundation slot only" race.  Weird business model IMO.  It's not 200, still 500.

RONMAN Foundation Entry
Open

Age Group athletes will have the opportunity to participate in this race to support charitable initiatives. Entry fee for age group athletes will be $500.00 entry. $200.00 of the entry fee will be a tax deductible donation to the IRONMAN Foundation, a U.S. registered 501 (c) (3) organization. The donation portion of this entry will be used to support military and local charities including The Navy Seal Foundation, The Optimist Club of Coronado and the Islander Sports Foundation. Athletes will receive their tax deductible receipt at as part of their registration receipt. 

(Athletes who register after 8/16/2015 will not have their registration materials printed and will not receive a bib number assignment until Athlete Check-In)

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/superfrog/register.aspx#ixzz3P0iZXaTV

Edited by ChrisM 2015-01-16 12:33 PM

2015-01-16 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

The registration page has now changed, it is a "foundation slot only" race.  Weird business model IMO.  It's not 200, still 500.

RONMAN Foundation Entry
Open

Age Group athletes will have the opportunity to participate in this race to support charitable initiatives. Entry fee for age group athletes will be $500.00 entry. $200.00 of the entry fee will be a tax deductible donation to the IRONMAN Foundation, a U.S. registered 501 (c) (3) organization. The donation portion of this entry will be used to support military and local charities including The Navy Seal Foundation, The Optimist Club of Coronado and the Islander Sports Foundation. Athletes will receive their tax deductible receipt at as part of their registration receipt. 

(Athletes who register after 8/16/2015 will not have their registration materials printed and will not receive a bib number assignment until Athlete Check-In)

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/superfrog/register.aspx#ixzz3P0iZXaTV

Do you read all the stuff about IM foundation and how the money is used ? IF (repeat IF), it's true, it's pretty sad

I wonder how much of that $500 will actually make it to the charities.

I really like WTC races. Well run, good, deep competitive field. But they are really making a lot of mistakes, all over the place. CHallenge seems to be doing everything right these days. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
2015-01-16 1:44 PM

User image

One can look at this from three angles.

From the non military AG perspective, you're basically making a forced donation of $200, but at least it is tax deductible.

If you are active military, you have the option to race at a discount, and compete for a WC slot.  There is no other WTC race that offers a military discount, so this is something totally new.  Doing a WTC 70.3 for $200 is a pretty good deal.

From the WTC perspective, assuming that all of the $200 goes towards charity, then this new pricing structure is less profitable than their normal 70.3 business model.  They still only earn $300 for each general entry, and lose out on anywhere from $25-100 for each military entry.  So clearly this is not some type of "money grab" initiative.  

Lastly, while the base rates for Super Frog and Santa Clara have gone up significantly from their original price before being absorbed by the WTC, they are perfectly in line with all the other WTC 70.3s.  In fact, their base rates are still cheaper than my local 70.3...which is Honu, at $320.

2015-01-16 1:48 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ChrisM

RONMAN Foundation Entry
Open

Do you read all the stuff about IM foundation and how the money is used ? IF (repeat IF), it's true, it's pretty sad I wonder how much of that $500 will actually make it to the charities. I really like WTC races. Well run, good, deep competitive field. But they are really making a lot of mistakes, all over the place. CHallenge seems to be doing everything right these days. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

I didn't read those foundation threads, although I should as I have done two races that way.

I agree with you on WTC, I like the races.  But every couple years they seem to do something to step on their collective d**ks, then have to backtrack (Ironman CEO program....etc.....)   

2015-01-16 1:52 PM

User image

One can look at this from three angles.

From the non military AG perspective, you're basically making a forced donation of $200, but at least it is tax deductible.

If you are active military, you have the option to race at a discount, and compete for a WC slot.  There is no other WTC race that offers a military discount, so this is something totally new.  Doing a WTC 70.3 for $200 is a pretty good deal.

From the WTC perspective, assuming that all of the $200 goes towards charity, then this new pricing structure is less profitable than their normal 70.3 business model.  They still only earn $300 for each general entry, and lose out on anywhere from $25-100 for each military entry.  So clearly this is not some type of "money grab" initiative.  

Lastly, while the base rates for Super Frog and Santa Clara have gone up significantly from their original price before being absorbed by the WTC, they are perfectly in line with all the other WTC 70.3s.  In fact, their base rates are still cheaper than my local 70.3...which is Honu, at $320.

But no other race iis a "foundation only" entry for AG.  I *believe* that military had Kona slots in superfrog 2014....  I believe, not sure.  If so, that's no different.  As for the profitability, the money goes to the  IM foundation, and recent articles say that might be going to WTC's bottom line instead.   And absent a tiered entry based on dates, the superfrog fees are WAY above std 70.3 rates 

And then there's the initial 500 fee with no mention of charity, going offline, then coming back up.   Maybe just a mistake?  who knows.   But I think the foundation only for AGers is strange.  Under your theory, it makes it less attractive (IMO, since i think the huge majority would prefer straight up AG entry) to the entrant, and less profitable to WTC?  That pass the smell test?

Edited by ChrisM 2015-01-16 1:53 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WTC buys 2 new Cal. races, fees go up >100% Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Race Fees...new pricing idea Pages: 1 2 3

Started by thebigb
Views: 2114 Posts: 60

2014-04-10 12:03 PM Asalzwed

Words of advice for a first time marathoner going in < 100% Pages: 1 2

Started by TriMike
Views: 1794 Posts: 27

2012-04-24 1:06 PM TriAya

Race Fee + Processing Fee

Started by snake111