General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WHY? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-27 3:18 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: WHY?
So just another thread addressing the big question, "Why do we do this?" So I've been racing a few years now and have done everything from sprints to full ironman. When I first started I had a few good friends who were into it and so we competed with each other and it provided us all with something to talk about and a reason to get together. After a couple of years some of them lost interest but I kept at it. For a couple of years I was making great strides and was fired up thinking I'm going to win some races. Well reality hit and I realized that's probably not going to happen. I have one good friend who did IM with me last year and since then we have sort of taken some time off. We are both starting to get back to training hard again but its obvious that the fire is not quite there like it once was. I find myself struggling to find the motivation to put in the time it takes to get better. So I'm wondering what ya'll do to keep yourself motivated. For example, when my alarm clock goes off at 4:45 am so that I can get a bike, run, or swim in, I sit up and wonder "Is any of this worth it?" "Why do I CHOOSE to do this to myself?" I have 6 small children so I don't have the option of training when its convenient. Has to be early AM. This feeling comes along even more so when I'm on my trainer and I'm doing a really hard interval and I'm hurting. "What is the point of all this? I'm killing myself so that maybe I can be 1 mph faster on my bike? I'm not even going to win a race so I'm killing myself just to maybe move up a spot in my age group? I don't get paid to do this. My family is not dependant on me being faster. " Those are all the thoughts that go through my head. This stuff costs money, it cuts into time I could be spending with my family. It makes me feel pretty selfish sometimes for doing it because it benefits no one but me. Does anyone think like this and what keeps you coming back? I don't think I'll ever stop mainly because I worked to hard to get to the fitness level I'm at and I don't want to lose it all. I know this probably all sounds crazy but its just honest thoughts. When your alarm clock goes off, what stops you from laying your head back down? When you are suffering on the trainer, what makes you keep pushing? C'mon, fire me up guys!
Thanks!

2015-01-27 3:28 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Subject: RE: WHY?

Because I really enjoy it.  There are countless ways to stay healthy that don't involve nearly as much time or financial investment.  I choose this one because it's fun.  To waste my free time and money on something I didn't enjoy would be pretty ridiculous.  

2015-01-27 3:30 PM
in reply to: Jason N

nashville, Tennessee
Sounds like a good enough reason to me!
2015-01-27 3:35 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Jason N

Because I really enjoy it.  There are countless ways to stay healthy that don't involve nearly as much time or financial investment.  I choose this one because it's fun.  To waste my free time and money on something I didn't enjoy would be pretty ridiculous.  

x2 Plus, it's awesome! I look at tri and think it is awesome. I am inspired by the challenge, i am inspired by the people and I love how strong and powerful it makes me feel! 

(someone once asked me why on earth i signed up for an ironman - this was from a marathoner - and all i could saw was that it was awesome)

2015-01-27 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Well, my "tri" life has mostly subsided -- you'd need to ask my 20-year-younger-self (er... okay, maybe 25) why I was training so much when I wasn't a pro... Yeah, I was "close", but not quite there.

Now, I'm a cyclist who does a tri once in a while.

So why do I ride so much and so hard? Because it's what restores me. It keeps me mentally sane, keeps me from biting heads off everyone who annoys me, makes me a bearable (barely) person to live with. It's part of me, what I do. Sure, maybe part of it is that I'm chasing a younger version of myself. My PRs are all behind me, I'm not even bike racing any more (I don't count fondos as racing, really). But I still enjoy the speed, the distance over time, the feeling of pushing myself. And as a budding bike frame builder, it's also "research and development" for my product.

2015-01-27 4:30 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by Jason N

x2 Plus, it's awesome! I look at tri and think it is awesome. I am inspired by the challenge, i am inspired by the people and I love how strong and powerful it makes me feel! 

(someone once asked me why on earth i signed up for an ironman - this was from a marathoner - and all i could saw was that it was awesome)

LMAO - what a great answer!  Doesn't matter what others think is awesome, only that you're doing what YOU find awesome.  (same line of thinking as Jason's post, too).

I've certainly had those thoughts.  I suspect most folks that have been in and out of tri/endurance sports for a while do.  Many of us also wax and wane across different sports over time, too.  To me, it's as much about the happiness of pursuit as the pursuit of happiness - gotta like the getting there...

Matt

2015-01-27 4:43 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

nashville, Tennessee
These are all great answers. I guess I was just wondering if others had these battles in their heads. For me, I think its all about having something to focus on. I truly believe it is a character flaw in me but I can't just go through life spinning my wheels. I HAVE to be focusing on improving something. It used to be weightlifting. And I didn't lift just to lift. I had to be either trying to gain weight or trying to get lean or stronger. I have to have a goal at all times. For the last few years it has been getting faster. Endurance racing is a strange thing. I've never once thought when I was training or racing, "Boy I love this. I'm having so much fun." And there's many times that I've said during a race, "This is it. No more!" Then afterwards I'm looking for the next race. Crazy!
2015-01-27 6:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Pretty much the same. Yes, I have that mental battle. I was a very focused and committed athlete in my teens and early twenties, but lost the desire when I realized I didn't have the talent to really be a top competitor. Pretty sure I had a 2:30 marathon in me but didn't see the point of putting the rest of my life goals on hold to pursue that. Would have been a different story if I thought I had a 2:20 LOL. I decided to just run for enjoyment, and I did that for over 20 years, but something was always missing. I didn't realize what it was until I stumbled into tri......That intense physical experience of training and racing is when I feel most alive. It's that simple. It's also the one thing in my life that's really MINE. No one pushed me into endurance sports, or really encourages me to keep it up now. It would be the path of least resistance to just roll over and go back to sleep, spend my spare time hanging out with friends, taking more courses, etc. But this is what I choose to do. I decide what my goals are, what races I'll do, how I'll train. It's a freedom and ownership I don't always have in other areas of my life. I get out of bed and do the workout, because it's my choice to make. There's some song with the refrain "Everything that kills me makes me feel alive." That's kind of the case here.

Plus...er....ego? I like to feel like a bad a$$ but have no talents beyond endurance and what might be called the ability to suffer. When I was a kid I thought marathoners were awesome, so I did a bunch. Then I did my first tri and discovered that triathletes are really bada$$. The thought of there being a challenge that I can't do but others can bothers me. The only reason I probably haven't done a full IM, ultra, or something like that is lack of time to train properly.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-01-27 6:07 PM
2015-01-27 6:02 PM

User image

Pro

Because I feel the same way about going for an early morning run as my dog does.  (needless to say, he shows it more, with a lot of jumping, yipping and tail wagging)

But yeah, it's hard to get out of bed sometimes.  I've learned not to have that conversation in my head.  Just DO IT.  I've never regretted it.

Sure, we don't need to exercise 15hrs a week for 'health'.  Do it because you have a passion, a goal, and to have amazing experiences.  This is life, and challenging yourself is part of living.

but- each of us needs to find our own path.  If you've lost your passion, perhaps it's time to try something new.  Do you have a mountain bike?  How about trail running?  Paragliding?  Surfing?  Martial Arts?  Learn to play the violin.  Whatever.  Find your passion... and do it.

2015-01-27 6:18 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

...because it makes me a hero to my son..

(Steve_and_Cam.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Steve_and_Cam.jpg (1786KB - 4 downloads)
2015-01-27 6:24 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro

Originally posted by popsracer

Those are great days!  Enjoy them!  Nice work.

2015-01-27 6:37 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Awesome post

2015-01-27 6:41 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

I love running and swimming and I love challenging myself in races. I find triathlons FUN but I am not fast- I'm a slow swimmer and I don't bike enough.
I've chosen NOT to train for longer triathlons because I don't enjoy cycling enough, and I'm not into spending a ton of money on it. But I love the challenge of running, mixing it up with swimming and some cycling helps keep me injury-free, and I LOVE working on getting faster at swimming.

If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it. That doesn't mean every training minute is bliss, but I love what it brings me.
2015-01-27 9:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by mchadcota2 So just another thread addressing the big question, "Why do we do this?" So I've been racing a few years now and have done everything from sprints to full ironman. When I first started I had a few good friends who were into it and so we competed with each other and it provided us all with something to talk about and a reason to get together. After a couple of years some of them lost interest but I kept at it. For a couple of years I was making great strides and was fired up thinking I'm going to win some races. Well reality hit and I realized that's probably not going to happen. I have one good friend who did IM with me last year and since then we have sort of taken some time off. We are both starting to get back to training hard again but its obvious that the fire is not quite there like it once was. I find myself struggling to find the motivation to put in the time it takes to get better. So I'm wondering what ya'll do to keep yourself motivated. For example, when my alarm clock goes off at 4:45 am so that I can get a bike, run, or swim in, I sit up and wonder "Is any of this worth it?" "Why do I CHOOSE to do this to myself?" I have 6 small children so I don't have the option of training when its convenient. Has to be early AM. This feeling comes along even more so when I'm on my trainer and I'm doing a really hard interval and I'm hurting. "What is the point of all this? I'm killing myself so that maybe I can be 1 mph faster on my bike? I'm not even going to win a race so I'm killing myself just to maybe move up a spot in my age group? I don't get paid to do this. My family is not dependant on me being faster. " Those are all the thoughts that go through my head. This stuff costs money, it cuts into time I could be spending with my family. It makes me feel pretty selfish sometimes for doing it because it benefits no one but me. Does anyone think like this and what keeps you coming back? I don't think I'll ever stop mainly because I worked to hard to get to the fitness level I'm at and I don't want to lose it all. I know this probably all sounds crazy but its just honest thoughts. When your alarm clock goes off, what stops you from laying your head back down? When you are suffering on the trainer, what makes you keep pushing? C'mon, fire me up guys! Thanks!

Here's the problem with trying to win races, other people are busting their rears trying to win too.  I can probably be almost as fit as I am now off less effort and volume, but racing is what keeps me pushing.  I love the heat of battle in doing something that I enjoy.  If I take up a hobby, then I want to be the best I can be at it.

2015-01-27 9:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Great post!

2015-01-28 3:11 AM

User image

Love it! I hope that one day in the future I will have something similar!

For now... I've come to love swimming, I love cycling, and I really, really love running. I struggle to get up and going a lot. I have gotten so much better at doing things in the past 5 years (I am only 24), but still struggle sometimes to get up and going. But AS SOON as I push through that and am out of bed, or I am outside in the wind or rain, I am in heaven. I am slow, I am not particularly good at any of the disciplines, but I really love it.

Pushing yourself, testing your limits, or just cruising along and watching the scenery... It's an escape. It's a way of life.

2015-01-28 5:32 AM

User image

I have this battle every morning when I wake up. I am a back of the pack, overweight, age grouper and know I will never win a race. Fortunately I don't let that stop me as I enjoy what I do (for the most part), outside of waking up... and running... I still can't enjoy the first 2-3 miles of a run.

Another benefit is that I've been able to inspire my family to become healthier and more active, which is priceless in it's own right. My wife will be completing her first Tri this year and my 8 year old daughter completed a marathon last year (run 25 miles in training, finish by running the last 1.2 miles of the marathon course). She wants to step up to a triathlon this year and will often come goof around on the treadmill while I'm riding the trainer. She loves to yell "Shut up legs!" while I'm riding. In fact, she's so motivating that I named my bike after her (Bean the Bike... her nickname is Jillybean).
2015-01-28 6:29 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Why do we do this? To quote our tri club advisor in college (she's awesome):

"When else do you get to have such an expensive toy between your legs?"

2015-01-28 6:40 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Great posts!

I often have the same desire to put my head back on the pillow.  Some days I do but most days I don't.

I keep training but overall I feel so much BETTER when I've got a goal to works towards, I am staying really fit, and I am eating healthy.  The times when I do slack for more than a few days, I get grouchy and grumpy and generally start feeling lousy.

I also LOVE race day.  On race day, I am surrounded by people of all walks of life who have the same interest as me, who have all experienced the ups and downs of training, the ups and downs of fitting training in everyday life.  Can't wait till by first of the year in April.

2015-01-28 6:48 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was feeling the same way, so I decided to take this year to focus on running. I just want to mix it up. The training hours were cut back, and I found a happy place. I may do some olympic tris this summer……then again, maybe I won't. The point of all of it is fitness and stress relief for me. The second I dread it or feel stress is the second I'm done with it.
2015-01-28 8:15 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I faced a similar point in running. I had reached a point of diminishing returns, where I would have to put in significant training time and effort to increase and it wasn't as though I was flirting with anything great. I had reached my goals of a sub 20 5k and a sub 1:35 half marathon and there just wasn't a carrot to chase for the next level that seemed worth the work. I don't even know where those goals came from. I guess they were what I considered pretty fast when I started so they stuck in my head (I've created similar ones for triathlon). I started to fade a bit and put on some weight. That's how I came to triathlon. Once I got the tri bug, that old fire was re-lit. I now have a whole new set of goals that will likely take quite a while to meet and keep me from sleeping in (sub 10 IM, sub 4:30 half, sub 2:15 Oly and sub 1:08 sprint). I'm not even close to these, but they are all firmly etched into my head now and keep me going. I'm also now looking back at those running PRs going...man, I'm in a lot better shape now, maybe I could take a run at those again too. So in my case, I broke out of it by changing sports.

2015-01-28 8:38 AM

User image

Regular

Awesome.

I can say the same. Even my jacked, extremely fit, 20 year old is impressed with what I can do and others can do when he comes to events.
2015-01-28 8:55 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Champion
Gold member
  • Telling somebody that you do tri's just sounds cool to people.  It was definitely a point of conversation that worked to my advantage in my first real chemistry job years ago.  I've never gotten to the HIM or IM level, but even at the sprint level - the cool factor is definitely there...99.9% of the population doesn't train in three sports.  99% of the population can't swim 500 yards.
  • Get's me out of the house for a little bit.
  • "I don't feel like running."  Then bike.  "But I don't want to get prepped to ride today."  Then go swim.  "Swim.  THAT'S what I want to do today."  It's the choice I like.
  • I've never gotten into tri's for the performance/racing part of it...it's the lifestyle/exercise balance that it brings to the body.  As opposed to a runner, you are not just 'pounding the pavement' everyday adding daily stress to the knees and ankles.  You mix it up.  Swimming is the great balancer, many people just don't get that kind of no-impact workout and it's so good for the upper body.  
  • Strength training.  Always a hot topic but I feel it's a necessary 4rth discipline.  We all know the studies as we age...if I had to choose and put any person over 40 on an exercise routine, strength training would be first.  Strength training for tri's 'may' not lead to better performance, but I feel will keep you more injury free.

I've been doing this more or less for 12 years...the fact that I am still doing any aerobic activity is due to the choice I have with triathlon.  When life changes, you can easily switch up sports to at least get something in...even if you can't train in all three.

2015-01-28 8:57 AM

User image

Originally posted by mchadcota2

So just another thread addressing the big question, "Why do we do this?" So I've been racing a few years now and have done everything from sprints to full ironman. When I first started I had a few good friends who were into it and so we competed with each other and it provided us all with something to talk about and a reason to get together. After a couple of years some of them lost interest but I kept at it. For a couple of years I was making great strides and was fired up thinking I'm going to win some races. Well reality hit and I realized that's probably not going to happen. I have one good friend who did IM with me last year and since then we have sort of taken some time off. We are both starting to get back to training hard again but its obvious that the fire is not quite there like it once was. I find myself struggling to find the motivation to put in the time it takes to get better. So I'm wondering what ya'll do to keep yourself motivated. For example, when my alarm clock goes off at 4:45 am so that I can get a bike, run, or swim in, I sit up and wonder "Is any of this worth it?" "Why do I CHOOSE to do this to myself?" I have 6 small children so I don't have the option of training when its convenient. Has to be early AM. This feeling comes along even more so when I'm on my trainer and I'm doing a really hard interval and I'm hurting. "What is the point of all this? I'm killing myself so that maybe I can be 1 mph faster on my bike? I'm not even going to win a race so I'm killing myself just to maybe move up a spot in my age group? I don't get paid to do this. My family is not dependant on me being faster. " Those are all the thoughts that go through my head. This stuff costs money, it cuts into time I could be spending with my family. It makes me feel pretty selfish sometimes for doing it because it benefits no one but me. Does anyone think like this and what keeps you coming back? I don't think I'll ever stop mainly because I worked to hard to get to the fitness level I'm at and I don't want to lose it all. I know this probably all sounds crazy but its just honest thoughts. When your alarm clock goes off, what stops you from laying your head back down? When you are suffering on the trainer, what makes you keep pushing? C'mon, fire me up guys!
Thanks!

You sound like a pretty driven person with high expectations of yourself. I can relate. Falling short of our own hopes/wishes/fantasies of accomplishment can be a kick in the gut if we are only focused on outcomes (i.e., winning), rather than the process.

Here are some of the motivation enhancers I've heard of. Take what you will and leave the rest (I'm no coach or expert): Set a new, more challenging training goal; find some exotic "A" race to excite you/reward your efforts; find new training partners; join the local tri club; set specific goals that you will be fulfilled by if you meet; find a fundraising cause to commit to and get sponsored (a sure fire cure for the "selfish" hang-up); mentor a new athlete; get a new coach; take a break from triathlon; find a new sport; go to triathlon camp; focus the season on one discipline; see a sports psychologist.

Good luck.

2015-01-28 9:28 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I picked a REALLY good day to see this thread...

At the end of '12 I started hearing my heartbeat in my ears. I was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure. At the time I weighed about 280lbs (5'9"). It took a while for everything to settle down and get me on a medication that I didn't react to. Not too long after that, Type 2 Diabetes decided to line up and take a shot at me...

Fast forward to July '13. I was steadily getting worse. My youngest was getting ready for her first birthday and I had just hit the big 4-0. I sat down and had a heart to heart with God, my wife and most importantly: myself. I had run down the scale twice before (never getting below 230) and it was way past time to do it again. I started walking, then biking. I lost 20lbs between July '13 and Jan 1, '14. That's when I decided to push the envelope and do something I'd always wanted to try: A Triathlon. To finish the Memphis in May Sprint in under 2hrs was my goal last year. Not only did I make that goal (1:51:00 and change), but I also ran and completed the Riverbluff Sprint in 1:59:40 (hills!).

I lost a grand total of 2.5lbs (not a typo) last year. I'm buckling down more on my diet and training to Olympic distances (still running sprints). That set me back a bit. However, the icing on the cake for all of this came yesterday. I had to go see my Dr again for an issue I thought was tied to my glucose level. Turns out it wasn't, but he ran my A1C anyways. 4%-6% is the "normal" range and I came back with 5.3%. So, as of 1723hrs on Jan 27, 2015, I am officially no longer classified as Diabetic. My nefarious plan to live longer to harass my wife and kids is progressing nicely, and that is why I do this. The enjoyment of the sport and the feeling I get when I cross the line is just a bonus
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WHY? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Disscusion: Why or Why not a Tri/Road bike Pages: 1 2

Started by LPJmom
Views: 4241 Posts: 36

2012-11-16 4:37 PM metafizx

Why oh Why do RD allow non racers in transition? Pages: 1 2

Started by guppie58
Views: 3426 Posts: 30

2011-07-18 2:23 PM bzgl40

Garmin... why oh why must your charge be empty?!

Started by IdealMuse
Views: 1374 Posts: 18

2010-04-18 10:34 AM Duanerice

why oh why......

Started by wee scotty
Views: 1455 Posts: 14

2009-09-23 7:37 PM Johners

Why Oh Why do we tri? Ramblings from a tri wannabe

Started by steven
Views: 1158 Posts: 10

2004-04-29 10:26 PM NOGILLS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : October 31, 2011
comments : 2
What is so fun about blisters, sore muscles and chafing, anyway?
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 0
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".