General Discussion Triathlon Talk » An Underpronator Wearing Running Shoes for Overpronation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-02-02 10:28 AM

Subject: An Underpronator Wearing Running Shoes for Overpronation
Hi,

I underpronate, and recently bought a pair of running shoes online that I didn't know are designed for overpronation (New Balance 860 V4).

Unfortunately returning them isn't an option, and I'm wondering if I'm more likely to have an injury by wearing them.

Any thoughts or reports of previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2015-02-02 1:18 PM
in reply to: JCZ

Subject: RE: An Underpronator Wearing Running Shoes for Overpronation

There is zero hard scientific evidence that shows that shoes made for 'overpronators' or 'underpronators' reduce injury in such folks compared to using neutral, or even using the complete opposite sort of shoe. It is all marketing sold as pseudoscience. If you doubt me, try and find any scientific reference backing their claims for their shoes. Good luck with that. 

You can literally just ignore all the marketing claims of 'neutral', 'overpronator', etc., and just try the shoe and run a bit in it to see if it 'feels ok' to you.  And yes, it sometimes it takes some trial and error to find a shoe that fits your foot comforably for distance. But you can otherwise ignore the marketing hype, as that really is all it is - marketing hype.

This is what happens when the shoe companies take their claims more than a little too far in terms of the benefits the shoe is giving you. These were just one of quite a few types of recent-gen shoes trying to capitalize on making 'new markets' for shoes, that were recalled at a cost of millions for a false advertising lawsuit.

2015-02-02 4:01 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by JCZ

Hi,

I underpronate, and recently bought a pair of running shoes online that I didn't know are designed for overpronation (New Balance 860 V4).

Unfortunately returning them isn't an option, and I'm wondering if I'm more likely to have an injury by wearing them.

Any thoughts or reports of previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Why did you choose those shoes? Had you tried them before? How do you know you underpronate? What features do the shoes have that make them designed for overpronation?

Agee with the other poster that there are several studies that show the type of shoe has no impact on injury prevention. That doesn't mean a shoe can't injure you or contirbute, but rather than lookat the marketing labels, how does the shoe feel whe you wear it? How is your running when you run in it?
2015-02-03 12:00 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Why did you choose those shoes? Had you tried them before? How do you know you underpronate? What features do the shoes have that make them designed for overpronation?

Agee with the other poster that there are several studies that show the type of shoe has no impact on injury prevention. That doesn't mean a shoe can't injure you or contirbute, but rather than lookat the marketing labels, how does the shoe feel whe you wear it? How is your running when you run in it?

Thanks for the replies above.

I bought them online (in a rush) and wasn't aware that they were designed for overpronation. I've used New Balance for years but not this specific shoe (860 V4).
I know that I overpronate by looking at the soles of my older running shoes: the outer part of the soles are worn down but the inner parts are not. The feature that makes them designed for over pronation are that the inner part of the bed is raised--which I can feel when I wear them. It's not uncomfortable, but I can feel it's not flat and am hoping this won't be the cause of injury.
2015-02-03 6:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

pronation is normal, that is how humans run.  I wouldn't wear them, I made the same mistake early in my running life, and I ended up with terrible knee pain.

2015-02-03 8:14 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I also under-pronate (suppinate) and a PT I saw for some chronic piriformis/hamstring issues a gew years ago said to avoid motion control shoes because they tend to be designed for people who over-pronate, so they're correcting a problem you don't have. They also tend to be more rigid than neutral shoes, which can actually keep your body from its natural stride and lead to injury. The latter problem is worse in lightweight runners because not only do they control lateral motion of the foot, but often you can't bend the sole enough to go through a normal running motion, either. The PT actually felt like the shoes, as well as other issues like scar tissue from old injuries and muscle strength imbalances, were causing my problems, not suppination itself.

2015-02-03 9:10 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
I underpronate also so i went to a running store tried on a ton of running shoes and the sales guy thought these $150 brooks would be best. Well after running in them for 2 months and getting tight calves running after .5 miles i said F it and baught some trail running New Balance. I havent had an issue since and have loged long distance runs on them. Go with what feels right.
2015-02-03 2:04 PM
in reply to: #5089679

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Are some of you really saying shoes make no difference at all? Whether people all wear Brooks Beast or Saucony Kinvara their chance of injury is the same? Whether people wear the Fila running shoe from Costco for $19.99 or the Hoka Conquest at $170, it makes no difference? What are the people making these claims wearing, and why?
2015-02-03 5:25 PM
in reply to: Donskiman

Originally posted by Donskiman Are some of you really saying shoes make no difference at all? Whether people all wear Brooks Beast or Saucony Kinvara their chance of injury is the same? Whether people wear the Fila running shoe from Costco for $19.99 or the Hoka Conquest at $170, it makes no difference? What are the people making these claims wearing, and why?

Yes, this is exactly what I am saying. 

There is zero hard evidence showing that matching overpronators with specific shoes, or neutral shoes with certain runners, decreases injury at all. It is ALL marketing hype. All the stuff you hear from the shoe reps is pseudoscience regarding the matching of their shoes with feet/gait. 

Don't get me wrong - there are definitely medically proven roles for things like orthotics for those who are specifically tested and measured for them. But the evidence that the nonmeasurement approach used by shoe stores is 100% lacking in scientific backing. And when they go to far, like the fivefingers or the 'energy return' shoes I posted above, multmillion dollar lawsuits do indeed occur. But don't think that just because some shoe store guy saw you walk and said you were a 'overpronator' means that you therefore only should try on heavy motion control shoes - that part of the matching is bunk, based 100% on marketing and pretty much 0% on published peer-reviewed science.

2015-02-03 10:16 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Expert
Originally posted by yazmaster

Originally posted by Donskiman Are some of you really saying shoes make no difference at all? Whether people all wear Brooks Beast or Saucony Kinvara their chance of injury is the same? Whether people wear the Fila running shoe from Costco for $19.99 or the Hoka Conquest at $170, it makes no difference? What are the people making these claims wearing, and why?

Yes, this is exactly what I am saying. 

There is zero hard evidence showing that matching overpronators with specific shoes, or neutral shoes with certain runners, decreases injury at all. It is ALL marketing hype. All the stuff you hear from the shoe reps is pseudoscience regarding the matching of their shoes with feet/gait. 

Don't get me wrong - there are definitely medically proven roles for things like orthotics for those who are specifically tested and measured for them. But the evidence that the nonmeasurement approach used by shoe stores is 100% lacking in scientific backing. And when they go to far, like the fivefingers or the 'energy return' shoes I posted above, multmillion dollar lawsuits do indeed occur. But don't think that just because some shoe store guy saw you walk and said you were a 'overpronator' means that you therefore only should try on heavy motion control shoes - that part of the matching is bunk, based 100% on marketing and pretty much 0% on published peer-reviewed science.

Ok, based on what you're saying...are you running in the $19.99 shoes from Costco. If not, why not?
2015-02-04 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

yazmaster answered a different question than you asked.

You're asking if there's a difference between a $20 shoe and a $170 shoe.  The answer is yes... and without question.

yazmaster and others (and I agree with them) are saying there's isn't a ton of evidence saying people should wear stability/control shoes.  Scary thing is I seem to recall the majority of "runners" wear stability shoes.  That's absurd.  I think people who wear stability shoes would be better off just wearing something neutral.

OTOH, I don't think a neutral runner should ever wear a stability shoe.

2015-02-04 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by JCZI know that I overpronate by looking at the soles of my older running shoes: the outer part of the soles are worn down but the inner parts are not. .

If you overpronate you wear down the inner side of the shoe toward the big toe, not the outside.  If you wear down the outside edge you're underpronating.

Mark

2015-02-04 9:27 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Expert
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

You're asking if there's a difference between a $20 shoe and a $170 shoe.  The answer is yes... and without question.

yazmaster and others (and I agree with them) are saying there's isn't a ton of evidence saying people should wear stability/control shoes.  Scary thing is I seem to recall the majority of "runners" wear stability shoes.  That's absurd.  I think people who wear stability shoes would be better off just wearing something neutral.

So you're saying the differences between a $20 & $170 shoe are more than just marketing hype?

I'm not buying this "science". My son is a severe overpronator. Neutral shoes absolutely have caused problems for him...to the point of stress fractures. His physical therapist, who is an elite runner, put him in stability shoes and the problems have been resolved.

I'm also not buying that for example a 6'5", 300 lb overpronator has the same chance of injury whether a Brooks Beast or Saucony Kinvara is worn.

I do think stability shoes may be overused, but I know numerous people who had lots of problems in neutral shoes who have no problems in stability shoes.

Shoes are definitely not a magic cure all for all injuries. But neither do I believe that studies have been properly conducted that would show it makes no difference what kind of shoes people wear.
2015-02-04 9:47 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Donskiman
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

So you're saying the differences between a $20 & $170 shoe are more than just marketing hype? I'm not buying this "science". My son is a severe overpronator. Neutral shoes absolutely have caused problems for him...to the point of stress fractures. His physical therapist, who is an elite runner, put him in stability shoes and the problems have been resolved. I'm also not buying that for example a 6'5", 300 lb overpronator has the same chance of injury whether a Brooks Beast or Saucony Kinvara is worn. I do think stability shoes may be overused, but I know numerous people who had lots of problems in neutral shoes who have no problems in stability shoes. Shoes are definitely not a magic cure all for all injuries. But neither do I believe that studies have been properly conducted that would show it makes no difference what kind of shoes people wear.

+1

2015-02-04 10:07 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

At the end of the day, over or under pronating is caused by a mechanical issue in your running form.  Address the issue instead of relying on stability shoes to do the work for your muscles. The more you use stability shoes, the weaker you get.

2015-02-04 10:55 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Originally posted by dmiller5

At the end of the day, over or under pronating is caused by a mechanical issue in your running form.  Address the issue instead of relying on stability shoes to do the work for your muscles. The more you use stability shoes, the weaker you get.

Interesting. Are you saying there is one proper running form everyone should use regardless of their physical differences? A 110 lb bow legged person should be just like a 200 lb knock kneed person? The thing is people come in a variety of shapes and sizes, with different biomechanics. Saying they all should use the same shoes regardless of these differences is a bit of a stretch.

2015-02-04 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

well we all are using the same ground aren't we? And we all have feet adapted to our bodies?

I'm not saying the same shoe, but I am saying that we don't need our shoes to alter our gait if our gait is good without the shoe.

2015-02-04 6:22 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I also under-pronate (suppinate) and a PT I saw for some chronic piriformis/hamstring issues a gew years ago said to avoid motion control shoes because they tend to be designed for people who over-pronate, so they're correcting a problem you don't have. They also tend to be more rigid than neutral shoes, which can actually keep your body from its natural stride and lead to injury. The latter problem is worse in lightweight runners because not only do they control lateral motion of the foot, but often you can't bend the sole enough to go through a normal running motion, either. The PT actually felt like the shoes, as well as other issues like scar tissue from old injuries and muscle strength imbalances, were causing my problems, not suppination itself.

x2 and I'll add (at least for me) running form that needed correction as well (especially overstride and ground contact point)

I visited an accomplished ortho in NYC who has helped elite marathon runners from around the country and I ended up with orthotics and neutral running shoes. That, with increased focus on improved technique moved me away from the pain and issues that I had.
2015-02-04 9:07 PM

Originally posted by Donskiman
Originally posted by dmiller5

Interesting. Are you saying there is one proper running form everyone should use regardless of their physical differences? A 110 lb bow legged person should be just like a 200 lb knock kneed person? The thing is people come in a variety of shapes and sizes, with different biomechanics. Saying they all should use the same shoes regardless of these differences is a bit of a stretch.

I'll answer your questions:

- Yes, there is def a difference between $20 Costco cheapo sneakers and 'real' running shoes. In particular, the materials used in real running shoes are more durable and often more comfortable. But do those $20 cause 'more injury' than the 'real' ones? Absolutely not. Just because the shoes wear down faster does NOT mean increased injury risk. I actually current run in $30 Target sneakers, after spending 20+ years wearing nothing but 'real' running sneakers. (They're more cheaply built for sure, but I like the less built up shoe.)

- There is no one proper running form, there are difference for everyone. But this is why you have to try ALL the shoes. By going with the marketers suggestions of 'you're an overpronator so you should ONLY try these (expensive) motion control shoes", you are following nonmedically sound advice - they have no evidence to back that claim so there is no reason why you should follow it. To date, there has absolultely not been a rash of injuries because heavy folks incorrectly chose neutral shoes, or other non-motion control shoes, and it's been about a decade of experience now.

- You cannot use the justification that 'the studies just haven't been done' to say that, 'well, they might be right.' If they intend to specifically market shoes with a medical-sounding fit, the onus is on them to provide the REAL evidence to back up their claims. Again, if your claims are too extreme, the watchdogs will bite, and lawsuits like the ones I mentioned/showed above occur. Furthermore, just imaging how much money a shoe maker would make if they had real, hard medical data backing up their claim - they have every incentive to have to data - unless in reality, the truth is that their claims are a lot shakier than they'd have you believe.

2015-02-05 7:26 AM
in reply to: #5090167

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I get that studies have shown that wearing the right type of shoe doesn't prevent injuries in the way that running shoe companies would have us believe. But that's different than saying you can wear anything because shoes never cause injuries.
I run in conventional shoes - there's little doubt in my mind that I could hurt myself if I suddenly switched and did all my running in a zero-drop minimalist shoe. I've purchased shoes that had a noticeable lateral tilt (I can't remember if it was to the inside or outside). I switched shoes when my knees started to hurt. Not switching because I was vaguely aware of some study that says shoe type doesn't matter would have been silly.
It may not be important to select the exactly perfect type of shoe but I think it's possible to make a bad choice when it comes to shoe type. In the OP's case there may be an increased risk in wearing shoes that are intended for the opposite foot type.
2015-02-05 11:32 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by donw I get that studies have shown that wearing the right type of shoe doesn't prevent injuries in the way that running shoe companies would have us believe. But that's different than saying you can wear anything because shoes never cause injuries. I run in conventional shoes - there's little doubt in my mind that I could hurt myself if I suddenly switched and did all my running in a zero-drop minimalist shoe. I've purchased shoes that had a noticeable lateral tilt (I can't remember if it was to the inside or outside). I switched shoes when my knees started to hurt. Not switching because I was vaguely aware of some study that says shoe type doesn't matter would have been silly. It may not be important to select the exactly perfect type of shoe but I think it's possible to make a bad choice when it comes to shoe type. In the OP's case there may be an increased risk in wearing shoes that are intended for the opposite foot type.

I never said 'wear anything', meaning without regard to how it fits you or what your preferences are. Read my post above - I specifically say to try on EVERY kind of shoe, and test multiple makes/models until you find the one that does indeed work for you. It is absolutely true that some shoes just don't fit right on some feet, and some padding just doesn't work well for what some people want in the feel of their run.

I am a serious runner and can be very, very picky about the type of shoe I run in - yes, I currently run in cheap Target shoes, but that's specifically because they are underbuilt (semi-minimalist), lightweight, and feel very good on my feet, for low cost. I came to this decision only after literally running hundreds of miles in many models over years to compare.

However, that is a world of difference from following the shoe company/store advice and saying "I have to stick to motion control shoes because I'm an overpronator." You should ignore that advice, and try on ALL the various kinds of shoes in the store. If the motion controls work for you, great, go with it. But if they don't, there is no reason to feel that you are taking a risk with your running health, as there is no objective evidence whatsoever showing that following the shoestore advice will in fact reduce injury or make you run more comfortably. THAT is what I'm saying. 

In today's consumer age, it's critically important to distinguish between pseudoscience that originated purely from marketing hype, versus actual, peer-reviewed science. In the absence of objective scientific information, you should look skeptically at marketing hype, which almost invariably is meant to sell more shoes, not benefit you as proven by science. The multimillion dollar fraud claim lawsuits I mentioned above fully confirm this as a very real phenomenon that I'm not overstating whatsoever.

Edited by yazmaster 2015-02-05 11:34 AM

2015-02-05 12:03 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by donw I get that studies have shown that wearing the right type of shoe doesn't prevent injuries in the way that running shoe companies would have us believe. But that's different than saying you can wear anything because shoes never cause injuries. I run in conventional shoes - there's little doubt in my mind that I could hurt myself if I suddenly switched and did all my running in a zero-drop minimalist shoe. I've purchased shoes that had a noticeable lateral tilt (I can't remember if it was to the inside or outside). I switched shoes when my knees started to hurt. Not switching because I was vaguely aware of some study that says shoe type doesn't matter would have been silly. It may not be important to select the exactly perfect type of shoe but I think it's possible to make a bad choice when it comes to shoe type. In the OP's case there may be an increased risk in wearing shoes that are intended for the opposite foot type.

I never said 'wear anything', meaning without regard to how it fits you or what your preferences are. Read my post above - I specifically say to try on EVERY kind of shoe, and test multiple makes/models until you find the one that does indeed work for you. It is absolutely true that some shoes just don't fit right on some feet, and some padding just doesn't work well for what some people want in the feel of their run.

I am a serious runner and can be very, very picky about the type of shoe I run in - yes, I currently run in cheap Target shoes, but that's specifically because they are underbuilt (semi-minimalist), lightweight, and feel very good on my feet, for low cost. I came to this decision only after literally running hundreds of miles in many models over years to compare.

However, that is a world of difference from following the shoe company/store advice and saying "I have to stick to motion control shoes because I'm an overpronator." You should ignore that advice, and try on ALL the various kinds of shoes in the store. If the motion controls work for you, great, go with it. But if they don't, there is no reason to feel that you are taking a risk with your running health, as there is no objective evidence whatsoever showing that following the shoestore advice will in fact reduce injury or make you run more comfortably. THAT is what I'm saying. 

In today's consumer age, it's critically important to distinguish between pseudoscience that originated purely from marketing hype, versus actual, peer-reviewed science. In the absence of objective scientific information, you should look skeptically at marketing hype, which almost invariably is meant to sell more shoes, not benefit you as proven by science. The multimillion dollar fraud claim lawsuits I mentioned above fully confirm this as a very real phenomenon that I'm not overstating whatsoever.

You are to a degree.

While there have been some outlandish claims made by some shoe companies, particularly the makers of "fad" designs, there is no question that some stability shoes work better for some people.  I agree with your advice to try many different shoes if you are not comfortable, but it's a stretch to say that some shoes are not better than others for certain people, of course they are.....and design properties certainly have something to do with that. (yes, I know you tried to say that you weren't saying that, but you can't have it both ways)

2015-02-05 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

Nicely stated and summarized - I agree with pretty much everything that you have said.
I guess the thing that I reacted to was your statement in your first post that one should literally ignore the marketing hype. It think it makes more sense to start in the ballpark when matching your shoe and your foot type and to only try the mismatched shoe type as a last resort.

Amidst all of our noise I think Adventurebear and the OP were on the right track in some of the early posts. I don't think anyone else even asked how the shoes feel. The OP said they could feel that the shoe wasn't flat and the inner bed felt rasied. I would treat this as huge warning sign and either not wear the shoes or proceed very cautiously.
2015-02-05 3:13 PM
in reply to: donw

I'm sticking with my perspective - 

because there is essential zero medical evidence for their claims of shoe matching, you should ignore it completely. If they publish even one accepted article, I'll gladly change my tune. 

What we do know from experience of the history of human running, is that no particular running shoe or model is a magic injury reducer. That's been well established by researchers at Harvard, who in particular debunked the 5-finger 'forefoot' injury reduction hype (which has since turned into a multimillion dollar lawsuit successfully litigated.

Ask those knowledgable store clerks where they get their information. I guarantee you 100% it will be from a glossy marketing brochure made to sound medicalesque. They also benefit from the very reasonable-sounding idea that you should seek an expert's help before getting footwear that could potentialy limit or injure you, but unfortunately their expertise is not medical in the slightest. 

2015-02-05 10:24 PM

User image

Expert

I'm sticking with my perspective - 

because there is essential zero medical evidence for their claims of shoe matching, you should ignore it completely. If they publish even one accepted article, I'll gladly change my tune. 

What we do know from experience of the history of human running, is that no particular running shoe or model is a magic injury reducer. That's been well established by researchers at Harvard, who in particular debunked the 5-finger 'forefoot' injury reduction hype (which has since turned into a multimillion dollar lawsuit successfully litigated.

Ask those knowledgable store clerks where they get their information. I guarantee you 100% it will be from a glossy marketing brochure made to sound medicalesque. They also benefit from the very reasonable-sounding idea that you should seek an expert's help before getting footwear that could potentialy limit or injure you, but unfortunately their expertise is not medical in the slightest. 

You're partially correct. No particular model is a magic injury reducer...for everyone, however it can't be said that some people haven't derived benefits. Stability shoes most certainly do help some people. Conversely, stability on some people causes problems. How would you go about trying to determine what shoes might be a help or hindrance?

Have you worked in a running shoe store? How do you know what their training is? Are you saying the millions who shop at running shoe stores are needlessly being duped into buying things they don't need? Are you saying all the people who praise the help in getting properly fitted by running shoe stores are just making it up?

Maybe you ought to try working at a busy running shoe store for a week and see the vast range of people, body types, foot types and a variety of other factors these employees commonly see...and then try to diagnose exactly which shoe would be best for each individual. It might open your eyes as to what actually happens. Or you could just complain.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » An Underpronator Wearing Running Shoes for Overpronation Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Running shoe choice and overpronation

Started by acumenjay
Views: 2562 Posts: 13

2009-09-25 9:10 PM gwenbert

What running shoes do you wear/recommend? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by longhorntd
Views: 2953 Posts: 51

2007-07-20 2:40 PM BbMoozer

Running Shoe sole wear

Started by surfwallace
Views: 2712 Posts: 11

2007-01-12 7:58 PM surfwallace

Running question - Uneven shoe wear

Started by boneyBP
Views: 1980 Posts: 5

2006-11-04 12:54 PM boneyBP

What Brand of Running Shoes do You Wear? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Clare44
Views: 3799 Posts: 76

2006-08-10 4:19 PM Avigayil2006
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 19, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Do you have your first triathlon coming up? This article will give you a few tips on what to wear for your triathlon.
date : March 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.

date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?

date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.