General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using a Road Bike for an Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-02-25 1:55 PM

Subject: Using a Road Bike for an Ironman 70.3
Wondering if I will be ok for the HIM or should I upgrade my bike to a tri bike? I've been training for months on my road bike and it has served me well for a sprint tri but have been thinking of upgrading. Any opinions? I do have aero bars on my road bike and just thinking of adding more hydration racks and giving it a really good tune up.

2015-02-25 2:02 PM
in reply to: #5096124

User image

Subject: RE: Using a Road Bike for an Ironman 70.3
If it's comfortable for you, it isn't necessary to upgrade unless your plans include many more long tris. I would suggest a quality fitting to maximize your aerobars just so you can take some stress off of the back from time to time.
2015-02-25 2:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Road bikes are fine for any distance triathlon.  You will see quite a few of them out there on the course and there is no physical or mechanical reason why you can't use one.  A tri bike will help put you (the rider) in a more aerodynamic position which can save you a good chunk of time, but it is by no means a requirement.  You still need to pedal the bike.

One option you could do is get a set of short "jammer" or "shorty" style aero bars that were meant for road bikes.  This will at least give you the option to ride in a slightly more aerodynamic position for periods of time without compromising your traditional road bike position.

Edit: Just saw you already have aerobars on your road bike.  Most should be fine, but if I would choose the shorter versions if I had not done so already.

Edited by Jason N 2015-02-25 2:06 PM
2015-02-25 2:29 PM
in reply to: Albert L

User image

I hope it is OK to use a road bike for that distance. I am always looking for an excuse for n+1, but I am going to hold off buying a tri bike until I know if I like the longer distances. If I buy a bike specifically for the HIM I have in July and find that I hate that distance, that is too much money down the drain. Tri bikes just aren't practical for the type of riding that I do and the terrain around here.
2015-02-25 3:38 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

Thanks guys for the input.........I will most likely go with using the road bike and make the proper adjustments. HappyScientist, that is a good point. I should also see if I like the longer distance of an HIM before purchasing a tri bike.
2015-02-25 8:55 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Albert L

Wondering if I will be ok for the HIM or should I upgrade my bike to a tri bike? I've been training for months on my road bike and it has served me well for a sprint tri but have been thinking of upgrading. Any opinions? I do have aero bars on my road bike and just thinking of adding more hydration racks and giving it a really good tune up.

If you are not going to be in the aero position the entire ride, then you are not using the bike for its purpose. Use a bike based on how you will ride it 99% of the time.

2015-02-25 9:55 PM
in reply to: 0

Scottsdale, AZ
+ 1 on maximizing your bike fit with the aerobars!

I liked having the additional hand placement option and on long straightaways, it was nice to get into aero and rest my shoulders/arms. I was very comfortable and still use them a lot when I'm riding the roadie!

Edited by runspingirl 2015-02-25 9:56 PM
2015-02-25 10:30 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by Jason N

Road bikes are fine for any distance triathlon.  You will see quite a few of them out there on the course and there is no physical or mechanical reason why you can't use one.  A tri bike will help put you (the rider) in a more aerodynamic position which can save you a good chunk of time, but it is by no means a requirement.  You still need to pedal the bike.

One option you could do is get a set of short "jammer" or "shorty" style aero bars that were meant for road bikes.  This will at least give you the option to ride in a slightly more aerodynamic position for periods of time without compromising your traditional road bike position.

Edit: Just saw you already have aerobars on your road bike.  Most should be fine, but if I would choose the shorter versions if I had not done so already.

^^^ this ^^^

Before the tri bike arms race hit full throttle (about 2010), "most" people did half and full IMs on road bikes.  I did my first IM back in 2006 on a Trek 5200 road bike with jammer style aero bars. Probably 2/3rds of the field were riding road bikes. 

I did get myself a Cervelo P3C as a reward after finishing that first IM, and while I train and race on my tri bike I of course still have the same road bike and ride it all the time.

2015-02-25 10:53 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
You'll be fine on the road bike. I had a road bike with aerobars from 2009 until just last month when I finally bought my first TT bike. I've done 30+ triathlons that way including 3 HIM's. I've had two good fittings along the way which helped my positioning. When I got fit, I ended up with a new seatpost (Fast Forward) and a new stem and with that setup I had some really good bike splits.
2015-02-26 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
+1 on the road bike. I used mine for the first three years I did triathlons including a 70.3 distance. I had aerobars and a seat post that was set forward to get me into a more aero position (set up with a professional bike fit, of course). I purchased a tri-bike in year four after finding a deal that was too good to pass up. I enjoy riding both bikes still, but it's definitely not a necessity.
2015-02-26 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Honestly a large portion of the field would be better off on road bikes than their near upright fit with aerobars.

2015-02-26 9:27 AM

I will be on a road bike for one.
I always seem to be a bike behind as I scale up races.
When I started in sprints, and a little longer...I was on a hybrid.
When about 90% of everyone else was on at least a road bike or tri.

Got a road bike.

Got up to Olympic and did an Olympic/spring combo. About 90% of the people doing the Olympic were on a tri.
Well, maybe not that much. But I never, EVER...not once...in my life used hyperbole.

I actually figure the percentage might go down a tad for the half? Just a skosh. My reasoning is that there may be more serious cyclists who figure they can do a medium long swim and a half marathon. Of course, I will most likely be terribly wrong. Either way, I'm not going to flip out about it. I figure I only have a few years at this and I'm really only because the accomplishment is very appealing. "Iron Man" was getting kicking back when I was a kid and stuff like Wide World of Sport type shows would feature it.....right after ice skate barrel jumping. Always thought it would be cool when I was a kid and how I'd like to do that when I got older. But, when I got older, I got fatter. I'm more likely to use a $1400 road bike for many years, as opposed to 'renting' a tri-bike.

I'm considering the aero bars and getting a re-fitting with that in mind. I see a lot of you have done that. So, it's apparently not gauche? Will I look more like a tool when I'm out riding for semi-casually? Will more motorists hate me? I've really not had a problem with that...yet. If I'm out riding strictly for fun....I'm on the hybrid. That thing's like riding a pillow.

I saw some recommend the 'shorty' thing? What was your reasoning behind that? What I love about this place is the opinions. Sometimes they totally feel like they'd ring true for me....sometimes not. That's how I gauge things.
2015-02-26 1:13 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Originally posted by jhaack39  I saw some recommend the 'shorty' thing? What was your reasoning behind that? What I love about this place is the opinions. Sometimes they totally feel like they'd ring true for me....sometimes not. That's how I gauge things.

Shorty bars are designed for road bikes, and with road bike geometry and fit in mind.  Basically, it's just a place to rest your forearms and hands so that your arms are not as far apart like they would be while you're riding in the drops.  

The reason I recommend this is because it allows you to get slightly more aerodynamic without compromising your road bike fit.  Once you start using fast forward seat posts and more traditional aerobars...well...then your road bike is no longer a road bike as you have altered the way you are fit when riding on the hoods and in the drops.  Basically...you traded two good road bike positions for one semi good aero position.  If all you're using your road bike is for triathlons...then that's fine...but you may also want to consider selling the road bike and just getting a tri bike.  But if you do plan to ride your road bike like a road bike...then I would advise keeping your road bike position intact...and just adding shorter aero bars that can be used comfortably without adjusting your road bike position.

2015-02-26 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by jhaack39  I saw some recommend the 'shorty' thing? What was your reasoning behind that? What I love about this place is the opinions. Sometimes they totally feel like they'd ring true for me....sometimes not. That's how I gauge things.

Shorty bars are designed for road bikes, and with road bike geometry and fit in mind.  Basically, it's just a place to rest your forearms and hands so that your arms are not as far apart like they would be while you're riding in the drops.  

The reason I recommend this is because it allows you to get slightly more aerodynamic without compromising your road bike fit.  Once you start using fast forward seat posts and more traditional aerobars...well...then your road bike is no longer a road bike as you have altered the way you are fit when riding on the hoods and in the drops.  Basically...you traded two good road bike positions for one semi good aero position.  If all you're using your road bike is for triathlons...then that's fine...but you may also want to consider selling the road bike and just getting a tri bike.  But if you do plan to ride your road bike like a road bike...then I would advise keeping your road bike position intact...and just adding shorter aero bars that can be used comfortably without adjusting your road bike position.

That part is pretty key for people that are doing a time trial and crit/road race on the same day.  Further you can get into a pretty solid position with the shorty bars:

2015-02-26 1:28 PM

Thanks Jason and msteiner.

Totally passes the sniff/sensibility test for me. I think the key takeaway for me is don't ruin a good road bike.

So basically, if I did the shorty route, then the fit wouldn't necessarily even really change? Or maybe a little? Relatively speaking.

Either way, for a completer (not a competer) like me, I don't really need them. Then again, for a completer, like me...it might be nice to pickup any relatively inexpensive energy savings I can.

Nothing in this sport is cut and dried, is it?

2015-02-26 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by jhaack39 Thanks Jason and msteiner. Totally passes the sniff/sensibility test for me. I think the key takeaway for me is don't ruin a good road bike. So basically, if I did the shorty route, then the fit wouldn't necessarily even really change? Or maybe a little? Relatively speaking. Either way, for a completer (not a competer) like me, I don't really need them. Then again, for a completer, like me...it might be nice to pickup any relatively inexpensive energy savings I can. Nothing in this sport is cut and dried, is it?

For me I just put the shorty bars on, and I'm good to go!

2015-02-26 1:40 PM

User image

That is good to know. I might look into that. With all of the ice on the roads, I have been stuck on the trainer, and I have been working on getting my body used to longer stretches in the drops. There are times when I have wondered about aero bars just because it would be nice to be able to rest my arms, but I don't want to mess up my bike fit.
2015-02-26 1:53 PM

User image

~jhaak

If you look at msteiner's photo, you notice that his hands are not that much more forward from where his hoods are.  IOW, it's really not that much different than if he had his hands on his hoods, but kept his forearms straight (or if he was in the drops) as far as how being on those bars impacts his fit.  He's more narrow on those bars, so that improves his aerodynamics while keeping the same road bike fit.  So like he said, you basically just slap them on and you're good to go.

The difference with more traditional clip on aero bars is that they are designed with longer extensions, and encourage you to have your elbows further up as well as your hands.  This is what stretches you out, and thus you feel like you need a forward facing seat post...which then in turn compromises your fit while riding the hoods and drops.  

Of course you could always use traditional (longer) aerobars but just stay back on them...but why have all that extra unused extensions if you don't need them.

When I first started out on a road bike, I added Profile Design T2+ clip ons.  They are more traditional aerobars, but also highly adjustable.  I told the guy fitting me that I didn't want to adjust my road bike position, just make adjustments to the aerobars the best you can.  He slid the extensions back, as well as the armpads...as much as he could without it hitting my knees.  I suppose he could have trimmed them to make it an even better fit, but I knew it was just a temporary thing.  Shorty's would have been a lot simpler.  

2015-02-26 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
2015-02-26 3:26 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Originally posted by msteiner

For added reference, here is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Vision-Team-Mini-Clip-Aero/dp/B005VZUX6K

Cool. Looking at that...I see 'draft legal' and all that.
I'm a stickler for following rules (keeps me from causing anybody else in the race any trouble)...

So, I'm guessing those are legal in any just about any tri..which are generally not draft legal and would be if it was?
I gather as long as there's no extension beyond the break hoods they're good to go?
Just double checking. I'm not terribly up on a lot of the lingo.

Being that I have a gift cert. to a Trek store that's burning a hole in my pocket with no other immediate needs...
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4984978381664981644?q=bontra...

Those would be legal and acceptable? Assuming they "worked" for me.

2015-02-26 10:59 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Dave Scott won IM Kona 6 times using a road bike. Seemed to work pretty good.

Just saying...

2015-02-27 5:29 AM
in reply to: Donskiman

User image

Trust me, do whatever makes you feel cool.
2015-02-27 6:32 AM
in reply to: Donskiman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Donskiman Dave Scott won IM Kona 6 times using a road bike. Seemed to work pretty good. Just saying...

That's just a ridiculous argument.  How many pros do you see riding road bikes at Kona nowadays (or in the past 15 years or so)?  That answer would be zero.

And they didn't use tri bikes back when Scott was winning Kona because Dan Empfield had not yet designed the first tri bike.

2015-02-27 6:34 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Honestly a large portion of the field would be better off on road bikes than their near upright fit with aerobars.

Very true.  I see people buying $5000-$10,000 tri bikes with godawful, upright positions all the time.  They would be better off on a road bike,

2015-02-27 9:33 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Very true.  I see people buying $5000-$10,000 tri bikes with godawful, upright positions all the time.  They would be better off on a road bike,

Is that the same as people buying ferrari's and all these super fast cars then driving them in city streets?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using a Road Bike for an Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Augusta 70.3 over Ironman Florida 70.3

Started by Tripleplay44
Views: 1686 Posts: 5

2014-08-11 8:42 PM Fred D

Ironman 70.3 FL or Ironman 70.3 Eagleman?

Started by drcherrybomb21
Views: 1580 Posts: 8

2011-11-01 12:58 PM drcherrybomb21

Bike Question, planning on competing in a 70.3 next year (Road or Tri-Bike)

Started by cecjap
Views: 1266 Posts: 5

2009-08-17 9:13 PM little_blaine

Ironman 70.3 training - 5 hours bike ride vs 3 hours bike ride and 2 hours run

Started by Butcher
Views: 4837 Posts: 17

2009-07-27 11:25 AM jasonnance

Kansas 70.3: road bike vs. mtn bike

Started by jcdenton2000
Views: 1732 Posts: 18

2008-06-14 6:54 PM famelec
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.