General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Wheels 101 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2015-03-06 3:26 AM

Subject: Aero Wheels 101
Is there a how to buy or what to look for in aero wheels information somewhere? Before I really start looking I need some basic knowledge, besides jsut price point. Any input would be great.
Joe

2015-03-06 6:09 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Aero Wheels 101
*These are all generalizations

In the front, deeper and narrower are often the fastest options for the fast(er) people, despite current marketing. For your average AG'er, wider (current style) rims are often better at wide sweeps of yaw.

The rear you can get away with worse aerodynamics (wider tires despite the rim) because the air sees very little. A rear disc stabilizes the deeper front wheel and is faster than other options.

Weight is not something you should concern yourself with.

Price depends on how much you are looking to spend, how much of a brand wh*re you are, and whether or not you can live with used. Under $500 can buy you a race dominating set, and so can $4k+.

Tires matter (a lot, maybe more than the wheel itself) as a bad combo of tire/wheel is an expensive showpiece.

There are tons of threads about wheels on here and around the web, just searching for any brand that catches your eye should give you a "Ulysses" length amount to read, minimum.

FWIW, my suggestion for the average person who doesn't want to break the bank or overthink it... a Flo front (as deep as you feel comfortable with) and a Wheelbuilder disc cover for your current rear wheel, + Continental GP2000s tires & Latex Tubes. That's about $700 for a full race setup that nobody (well, nobody in the know) would be embarrassed to ride.

Zipp, Hed, Enve and most of the big brands nowadays have competent wheelsets as well, with scaling prices.

2015-03-06 7:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Some people will pay a thousand plus on wheels and pull it out only on races.  I guess it's because accidents happen and you would hate to trash your expensive wheels during a training ride and be out that money.  I wanted a wheelset that I could ride 100% of the time train and race).  If I trash them, the wallet won't hurt as bad.  I went with Flo 60\90 setup (Dec 2012).  I ride them all the time except on the trainer because I'm too lazy to change the tire.  I plan to get a disc jacket from Wheelbuilder for my races this year.

2015-03-06 8:20 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Leegoocrap *These are all generalizations In the front, deeper and narrower are often the fastest options for the fast(er) people, despite current marketing. For your average AG'er, wider (current style) rims are often better at wide sweeps of yaw. The rear you can get away with worse aerodynamics (wider tires despite the rim) because the air sees very little. A rear disc stabilizes the deeper front wheel and is faster than other options. Weight is not something you should concern yourself with. Price depends on how much you are looking to spend, how much of a brand wh*re you are, and whether or not you can live with used. Under $500 can buy you a race dominating set, and so can $4k+. Tires matter (a lot, maybe more than the wheel itself) as a bad combo of tire/wheel is an expensive showpiece. There are tons of threads about wheels on here and around the web, just searching for any brand that catches your eye should give you a "Ulysses" length amount to read, minimum. FWIW, my suggestion for the average person who doesn't want to break the bank or overthink it... a Flo front (as deep as you feel comfortable with) and a Wheelbuilder disc cover for your current rear wheel, + Continental GP2000s tires & Latex Tubes. That's about $700 for a full race setup that nobody (well, nobody in the know) would be embarrassed to ride. Zipp, Hed, Enve and most of the big brands nowadays have competent wheelsets as well, with scaling prices.

The bolded is what I would recommend if cost is an issue.  I rode a FLO 90 with a cover for my rear training wheel last year, and with that setup I was confident enough to take on just about any setup.

2015-03-06 8:39 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

DC
Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by Leegoocrap *These are all generalizations In the front, deeper and narrower are often the fastest options for the fast(er) people, despite current marketing. For your average AG'er, wider (current style) rims are often better at wide sweeps of yaw. The rear you can get away with worse aerodynamics (wider tires despite the rim) because the air sees very little. A rear disc stabilizes the deeper front wheel and is faster than other options. Weight is not something you should concern yourself with. Price depends on how much you are looking to spend, how much of a brand wh*re you are, and whether or not you can live with used. Under $500 can buy you a race dominating set, and so can $4k+. Tires matter (a lot, maybe more than the wheel itself) as a bad combo of tire/wheel is an expensive showpiece. There are tons of threads about wheels on here and around the web, just searching for any brand that catches your eye should give you a "Ulysses" length amount to read, minimum. FWIW, my suggestion for the average person who doesn't want to break the bank or overthink it... a Flo front (as deep as you feel comfortable with) and a Wheelbuilder disc cover for your current rear wheel, + Continental GP2000s tires & Latex Tubes. That's about $700 for a full race setup that nobody (well, nobody in the know) would be embarrassed to ride. Zipp, Hed, Enve and most of the big brands nowadays have competent wheelsets as well, with scaling prices.

The bolded is what I would recommend if cost is an issue.  I rode a FLO 90 with a cover for my rear training wheel last year, and with that setup I was confident enough to take on just about any setup.

And, from my research, and acted-upon experience, the bold is gold.
2015-03-06 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Originally posted by Puppetmaster

Is there a how to buy or what to look for in aero wheels information somewhere? Before I really start looking I need some basic knowledge, besides jsut price point. Any input would be great.
Joe

Here's a good place to start.......The tech guys that publish on the slowtwitch web site to a great job putting things in terms that most of us can understand. The artice below is a good starting point, but they also have a number of other, follow-up articles that serve as a good primer on what's available and how to figure out what'll work best for you. There are a ton of options and a lot of things to consider when you choose a set of wheels,,,,,,and prices vary dramatically. You can spend $400 for a pretty decent set of wheels or you can spend $4000. You can also go the used route and buy second-hand. Two rules of thumb that generally hold true, usually......deeper is faster than shallow, and a rear disk wheel is almost always faster than any other rear wheel choice.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Things_that_roll_4342.html

I don't think there's a single right answer out there for what the best wheel is....everything's a trade-off and value judgement....best for one person is not best for another. Read up. Understand the basics, and figure out what you'll be happy with. Once you buy, ride the heck out of them and don't look back!

2015-03-06 9:59 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Leegoocrap lied, you'll want to ride on Conti GP4000s tires!

In general you'll probably want to look for a 60mm or so depth for the front wheel.  Seems to be the best all around compromise for weather (wind) conditions.  Yes riding with a disc cover on the back helps stabilize the bike up front, think stabilizer tail fin on a plane.  Hard to beat FLO wheels these days. I patiently watched eBay and picked up a used 60/90 set for $644 total vs $900 new.

Current rims are indeed going wider, major benefit is you can run a 22-23mm tire up front and a 23-25 on the rear and have a more comfortable ride.  More air volume, less psi and same or lower rolling resistance.  You can run a 23 tire on a narrow rim but aerodynamics will suffer. Issue with running a more narrow rim (20mm wide) is that using narrow tires or ideal aerodynamics, except for a very few models, results in higher rolling resistance.  You really want the ideal wheel+tire aerodynamics and tire/tube rolling resistance (+durability). 

The current wheel tech starting a few years back  is for U shaped (more or less) rims.  Much older rims were V shaped, then went to a toroidal shape and so forth. I once read that riding with crosswinds that a new U style 60-66mm wheel is like riding an older gen 40-50mm wheel, same for 90 vs older 60-66. Here's an example of older rim shapes:

Current FLO shapes:

2015-03-06 1:00 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Donto

Leegoocrap lied, you'll want to ride on Conti GP4000s tires!

Actually I think the Specialized Turbo Cottons are the current "bees knees" in racing.

2015-03-06 1:21 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
ahh yes, 4k not 2k

I agree the Turbo's look very good, but I think your avg. ag'er would rather have the extra protection in the gp4ks.
2015-03-06 1:22 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Originally posted by GAUG3

Some people will pay a thousand plus on wheels and pull it out only on races.  I guess it's because accidents happen and you would hate to trash your expensive wheels during a training ride and be out that money.  I wanted a wheelset that I could ride 100% of the time train and race).  If I trash them, the wallet won't hurt as bad.  I went with Flo 60\90 setup (Dec 2012).  I ride them all the time except on the trainer because I'm too lazy to change the tire.  I plan to get a disc jacket from Wheelbuilder for my races this year.

Yep.  This is exactly why I only use race wheels for races.  I've trashed 5 rims or hubs during training and my wallet thanks me for not having to replace something expensive during the times where maximum speed does not matter.

2015-03-06 3:44 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Thanks all

I will do some more reading tonight at work. I am taking the bike in tomorrow for some TLC. I will probably go used, but you know a Saturday in the bike shop, it's easy to say throw some of those on..

2015-03-07 2:18 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Puppetmaster Thanks all I will do some more reading tonight at work. I am taking the bike in tomorrow for some TLC. I will probably go used, but you know a Saturday in the bike shop, it's easy to say throw some of those on..
FYI, there's a FLO 60 wheelset on eBay right now!

2015-03-07 4:33 PM

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
I have a flo 60/90 combo with GP4000s and I reslly like them. Any one have any idea how much difference a cover for the rear would make? Sounds interesting.
2015-03-07 5:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Nussy I have a flo 60/90 combo with GP4000s and I reslly like them. Any one have any idea how much difference a cover for the rear would make? Sounds interesting.

The cover will make you faster but the gains will be pretty small.  I ran some tests through www.bestbikesplit.com (awesome site if you've never used it) last year on that exact scenario and over a half ironman distance it was at most 20-30 seconds (vs a deep rear wheel like a flo 90) and that was with some pretty windy conditions.

It looks way cooler though and that makes it all worth it!  

Edit to add that I'm not saying 20-30 seconds isn't necessarily worth it.  Make a few changes that net you 20-30 seconds each and suddenly you are into minutes.  

Edited by axteraa 2015-03-07 5:53 PM
2015-03-08 10:16 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Nussy I have a flo 60/90 combo with GP4000s and I reslly like them. Any one have any idea how much difference a cover for the rear would make? Sounds interesting.

The cover will make you faster but the gains will be pretty small.  I ran some tests through www.bestbikesplit.com (awesome site if you've never used it) last year on that exact scenario and over a half ironman distance it was at most 20-30 seconds (vs a deep rear wheel like a flo 90) and that was with some pretty windy conditions.

It looks way cooler though and that makes it all worth it!  

Edit to add that I'm not saying 20-30 seconds isn't necessarily worth it.  Make a few changes that net you 20-30 seconds each and suddenly you are into minutes.

On a calm day difference is small based on the aero charts on the FLO site, but a watt here and there, as axteraa said, all adds up.  Their disc is pretty much a 90 with a cover on the spokes with a smoothed transition to the fairing, make the cover the same and no reason you can't nearly duplicate it.  One of the differences it makes is with the stability of the bike with the crosswinds.  I race a lot on the coast here in FL, the main part of the Sprint/Oly courses are north/south and the dominate winds are Easterly sea breeze or westerly depending on the time of year.  I haven't tried my 60/90 set with the disc cover on the 90 yet, that's the next race in June, but the 60/90 combo was more squirrely than my V-rimmed 40/40 with disc-cover and about the same as the 40/40 without the disc cover.   The stability alone means you can have more confidence staying down on the aerobars which is faster.  What I find interesting is during some crossing wind gusts you can sometimes feel a slight surge, the sail effect at its finest.

If you're handy there's a DIY disc cover thread here.  I bought some 0.060 ABS online and made my own for my old wheels.  Looking at other options now for my FLO90 and found this on eBay for some thin Kydex which is a little harder to work with but is only 0.028 thick & also found some ABS in 0.040".

2015-03-08 11:42 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Great thread as I have been wondering a lot of this myself. One question though; nobody mentioned the bearings. Do the higher end wheels come with better bearings, and does this make any appreciable difference?

I'm so new at this I didn't even realize the tires came in different sizes. Any tutorial on that?

And one last thing; someone mentioned something about being comfortable with deeper wheels. Is that a balance and handling thing? Or a; how much money do I feel comfortable spending thing?

Edited by 3mar 2015-03-08 11:45 AM

2015-03-08 1:27 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by 3mar Great thread as I have been wondering a lot of this myself. One question though; nobody mentioned the bearings. Do the higher end wheels come with better bearings, and does this make any appreciable difference? I'm so new at this I didn't even realize the tires came in different sizes. Any tutorial on that? And one last thing; someone mentioned something about being comfortable with deeper wheels. Is that a balance and handling thing? Or a; how much money do I feel comfortable spending thing?
On Crr (rolling resistance) for tires of different makes & sizing look here.  There's a spreadsheet link on the upper right.  Watch out your head may explode from all the info on his site! 

Most wheels come with a solid quality hub with steel bearing and are all I need, put the money for ceramic bearing elsewhere (e.g aero skewers, helmet, etc.)

Deeper front wheels do catch more wind with cross-winds, i.e., slide loading, which effects the handling.  If your heavier, or very fast, than may not be as big of an issue.  majority don't need the hassle and go with mid depth (60's).

2015-03-08 2:23 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by 3mar Great thread as I have been wondering a lot of this myself. One question though; nobody mentioned the bearings. Do the higher end wheels come with better bearings, and does this make any appreciable difference? I'm so new at this I didn't even realize the tires came in different sizes. Any tutorial on that? And one last thing; someone mentioned something about being comfortable with deeper wheels. Is that a balance and handling thing? Or a; how much money do I feel comfortable spending thing?
On Crr (rolling resistance) for tires of different makes & sizing look here.  There's a spreadsheet link on the upper right.  Watch out your head may explode from all the info on his site! 

Most wheels come with a solid quality hub with steel bearing and are all I need, put the money for ceramic bearing elsewhere (e.g aero skewers, helmet, etc.)

Deeper front wheels do catch more wind with cross-winds, i.e., slide loading, which effects the handling.  If your heavier, or very fast, than may not be as big of an issue.  majority don't need the hassle and go with mid depth (60's).

Please excuse any typos as I am writing without a head...it did indeed explode. I didn't see any correlation between size and rolling resistance though, at least just looking. I looked at my bike and it looks like I have 23's. I have the wheels and tires that came with my Felt B16. So do different wheels come with different tire sizes? It sounds like that's a limiter on this thread. My head hurts.
2015-03-09 7:27 AM
in reply to: #5098399

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
3nar, simplify what you see in the spreadsheet by focusing only on the GP4000s first. Look at the 20, 23 and 25 sizes (all 700c sized). You'll the see the basic correlation in tire size vs Crr. Some other smaller 20c tires might be nearly the same as a GP4000 23 due to construction differences but sacrifice puncture resistance doing so. This is one reason the GP4000 is highly recommended. It also has some very favorable aero characteristics, hence many wheel companies have been testing their wheels with it.
2015-03-09 8:00 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

I agree with Chris(leegoocrap): FLO90 with a disc cover on a training wheel.  90% of the time I see this set up it's a clear indicator of performance over cost spending; very popular at the FOP too. 

2015-03-09 9:00 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

3nar, simplify what you see in the spreadsheet by focusing only on the GP4000s first. Look at the 20, 23 and 25 sizes (all 700c sized). You'll the see the basic correlation in tire size vs Crr. Some other smaller 20c tires might be nearly the same as a GP4000 23 due to construction differences but sacrifice puncture resistance doing so. This is one reason the GP4000 is highly recommended. It also has some very favorable aero characteristics, hence many wheel companies have been testing their wheels with it.

My inner dork has been awakened so I did a couple scatter plots of the data. I only looked at the flat surface Crr to simplify it and did one scatter of all tires measured with vs flat surface crr and then just GP4000's flat surface crr vs measured width. There appears to be a slight correlation between wider tires and lower resistance, but in reality the data spreads out so much at the higher resistance end I don't think this correlation holds. It looks like if you go with a smaller tire, you're more statistically likely to get lower rolling resistance, which goes counter to the actual data trend??

(all tire crr.JPG)

(GP4000 crr.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
all tire crr.JPG (40KB - 12 downloads)
GP4000 crr.JPG (38KB - 9 downloads)

2015-03-09 9:56 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

3mar, you should be careful and make sure you are not including any comparison test that includes using a Butyl tube, also watch out for clincher (C) vs tubulars (T).  There are only 4 GP4000s listings on the main sheet (2-20c and 2-23c, one of which is with Butyl) and you show 5 tires.  I thought he also tested a 25c GP4000s but don't see it listed.

Another way of looking at the data, just sort the tires in lowest to highest Crr and look at/plot only those from 25W and less per/2-tires at 30kph (why go higher for racing) and then you'll see that most are wider tires.  If I counted correctly, there are 20 clinchers (removing tubs and out of production tires) of which 3 are less than 22mm in measured width and 6 are less than 23mm in measured width.

I thought it would have been a good data point to include a column in the SS to denote is a tire had built in puncture belt.  He thought about adding it but in the end said he'd leave that decision to the user as some tires are stated clearly and others leave you guessing if it does or not.  If you knew one offered better protection at the same Crr maybe you'd go with one over the over, e.g. Conti Supersonic 20c vs. GP4000s 23c.  In this example the GP4000 is less aero due to the width but again that's up to the user to decide. 

I thinking about switching my race day tires to the Attack/Force combo. Should offer better aero on the front at the same Crr and the fatty in the back doesn't matter for aero but offers muchless Crr.

Sorry to the OP taking over this thread with tire discussion!

Edited by Donto 2015-03-09 9:56 AM
2015-03-09 10:06 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Exton, PA
Dude, You have only hit the tip of the ice burg with tires, crr, aero, and pressure.

It is very complicated very fast.

Basically you get lower crr numbers with tires that are around 25mm wide. Many or most bikes are using 23mm wide tires, switching from 23 to 25 may not give you better results depending on the rims you are on. Rim design changes the shape of the tire which has an effect on crr and on areo.

However, I believe the Flo tested there wheels with the conti 4000s and claimed it was the best aero tire fore their wheel. I think they tested the 23. However the conti 23 tire is actually wider than most 23's.

Anyway I encourage you to study this until your head actually explodes! then post pictures
2015-03-09 10:30 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Katy, Texas
At this stage, I'm just going to have to take the word of those with more experience than me and move on as I don't think it will make that much of a difference for me and my craptastic riding skills anyway.

I was interested in this thread because I'm doing IMTX in a couple of months and where I train (Florida Keys) and where the IM are, are both windy and flat, so this could be a big issue for me. My original plan was to just rent some Zipp wheels for the race but that goes against my "nothing new on race day" motto that I've been burned on every last time I've broken it. Since I like being married, buying a set of $4k wheels isn't an option. I'd like something I can train with on every day rides as well.

It sounds like the consensus is Flo 60 in front (without spending the extra money on ceramic bearings) with a disc cover for whatever wheel you currently have in the back with GP4000 23s. Is that right?

Are GP4000's able to handle day to day training?

There were notes on stability and, if memory serves, faster and heavier riders don't have to worry about it as much. I currently weigh in at 155 soaking wet so I don't know where on that scale I fit. Also, as far as speed, my average pace for my last two 70 milers were 19.7 and 20.1 mph. Shorter distances I'm at around 21-22 mph average. Now, as I mentioned, it's windy as heck here, so those averages actually mean 17-19 mph against the wind and anywhere from 22-27 mph with it. As noted, I don't know what category that puts me in for stability. I've only been on a bike for about 9 months.

Oh, and to the OP...sorry for highjacking your thread
2015-03-09 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm thinking about getting the disc cover from WB.  Will this crack pipe work?  http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Pressure-Presta-Valve-Adapter/dp/B00GKH49GI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425928807&sr=8-1&keywords=silca+adapter  The Silca adapter on their site is $32.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Wheels 101 Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Wheel cover with non-aero front wheel?

Started by link5485
Views: 1236 Posts: 7

2010-10-24 3:58 PM ditchdoc

Aero Wheels versus Light Wheels

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 5470 Posts: 24

2010-02-13 3:43 PM dscottmd

Aero helmet v. aero wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by wdpresta
Views: 5699 Posts: 32

2009-02-26 4:15 PM smilford

Aero helmet without Aero wheels?

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1784 Posts: 9

2008-07-04 10:58 PM jeffy_101

Aero Helmet vs. Aero Wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by Tri-Atlanta
Views: 3576 Posts: 27

2006-08-02 6:10 AM Daz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : daveo1101
comments : 4
Being a fast swimmer put me up with the faster athletes. As expected, they started to pass me soon out of transition. Some would just slowly pass. Others with aero wheels would literally buzz by.
date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.

date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.