of 4

2015-03-13 8:19 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Aero Wheels 101

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn With the understanding that "worth it" is a relative term, is it worth it to use a disc cover on a training wheel if I don't also have an aero front wheel? Is the aero benefit significant enough to justify even the relatively meager cost of the cover if I'm using a standard front wheel?

Anyone who doesn't have a rear disc should be riding a disc cover.  They're giving up speed otherwise.  They cost about $90, which is peanuts in the cycling world.

I actually prefer my HED3 rear to the disk cover.  I think its faster, the wheel is stiffer, and I get the narrow profile.  Otherwise I would agree with you.

2015-03-13 8:47 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn With the understanding that "worth it" is a relative term, is it worth it to use a disc cover on a training wheel if I don't also have an aero front wheel? Is the aero benefit significant enough to justify even the relatively meager cost of the cover if I'm using a standard front wheel?

Anyone who doesn't have a rear disc should be riding a disc cover.  They're giving up speed otherwise.  They cost about $90, which is peanuts in the cycling world.

I actually prefer my HED3 rear to the disk cover.  I think its faster, the wheel is stiffer, and I get the narrow profile.  Otherwise I would agree with you.

The HED3 is a good choice as well.

2015-03-13 8:50 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I rode a couple of years with a stock front wheel + disc cover - made me faster before I had a deeper front wheel - which made me faster again.  Remember, every little bit helps the overall sum of your time savings.  Add in increments as the budget allows, or as you desire, but it all helps on race day.

Latex tubes, I keep them sealed in a zip lock bag when not using them.  Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but I believe it helps them not dry out over time.

2015-03-13 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

You won't find a tunnel test to backup the faster claim. The H3 will be comparable to other wheels at low yaw but gets smoked by a disc as yaw angles increase. Even Hed's own data showed that. The narrow profile also means very little in the rear as the wheel is largely shielded by the frame. The H3 also presents tire selection problems due to its narrow rim width. More modern wheels and tires hold a lot of advantages over the H3.
2015-03-13 11:55 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

You won't find a tunnel test to backup the faster claim. The H3 will be comparable to other wheels at low yaw but gets smoked by a disc as yaw angles increase. Even Hed's own data showed that. The narrow profile also means very little in the rear as the wheel is largely shielded by the frame. The H3 also presents tire selection problems due to its narrow rim width. More modern wheels and tires hold a lot of advantages over the H3.
^ Yup, you took e the words right out of my mouth! 

The fasted 20c tire has the same Crr as a GP4000s but sacrifices durability.  So you run the GP4000s on the H3 and what do you get, something that's still not as fast in the crosswinds. Might as well as make one of these for your H3!

2015-03-13 12:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

interesting, when I look at the data I see something quite different.  At my speed, 24-26 mph, they would appear to be optimal.

aero data

Edited by dmiller5 2015-03-13 12:55 PM

2015-03-13 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Comparing data between different charts like that isn't the best way to figure out what's faster.  The Zipp 404 has a different value in each chart, which means that there were differences in the setup.

I personally think you could do a lot worse than the H3 for a rear wheel. 

The big takeaway for non race wheel owners is to get a disc cover even if you don't have a racing front.  

2015-03-13 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Comparing data between different charts like that isn't the best way to figure out what's faster.  The Zipp 404 has a different value in each chart, which means that there were differences in the setup.

The big takeaway for non race wheel owners is to get a disc cover even if you don't have a racing front.  

What's interesting is according to that chart the Stinger 9 is faster overall than the H3.
I trust this comparison since both are HED wheels and that chart comes from HED

I have tested multiple times that my covered Stinger 9 is faster than without the cover.

And as Gman said, add the extra savings of a wider, lower CRR tire and you are way ahead.
2015-03-13 2:52 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

What's interesting is according to that chart the Stinger 9 is faster overall than the H3. I trust this comparison since both are HED wheels and that chart comes from HED I have tested multiple times that my covered Stinger 9 is faster than without the cover. And as Gman said, add the extra savings of a wider, lower CRR tire and you are way ahead.

Do you think the cover would test faster on a day with more wind?  I vaguely remember a ST thread where folks were discussing that you could actually TT faster with some wind than no wind at all given you had a disc.  Due to the sail effect and drag actually going below zero in some cases for the rear wheel.  Not sure how much of it was actually true though, but I've had some results that make me think it has some teeth.

2015-03-13 3:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

What's interesting is according to that chart the Stinger 9 is faster overall than the H3. I trust this comparison since both are HED wheels and that chart comes from HED I have tested multiple times that my covered Stinger 9 is faster than without the cover. And as Gman said, add the extra savings of a wider, lower CRR tire and you are way ahead.

Do you think the cover would test faster on a day with more wind?  I vaguely remember a ST thread where folks were discussing that you could actually TT faster with some wind than no wind at all given you had a disc.  Due to the sail effect and drag actually going below zero in some cases for the rear wheel.  Not sure how much of it was actually true though, but I've had some results that make me think it has some teeth.

Yes. There are points of negative drag.There are specific wind conditions that cause this.

Edited by marcag 2015-03-13 3:31 PM
2015-03-13 4:28 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Yes. There are points of negative drag.There are specific wind conditions that cause this.
I've felt it.  One on the big local sprint races here in FL on the coast has 11 miles total of down and back on A1A along the ocean.  Several large homes and condo complexes along the route. When the wind is blowing perpendicular (sea breeze type)  you'll have shadow effects by the building then between them the wind is funneled.  As you hit these mini wind streams the first thing you have to lean into the wind to keep straight, then you'll feel a push.  It's a weird feeling and you'll see many people come out of aero thinking they are going to lose control, but once the bike settles its stable and you feel that little tug of speed and can take advantage of it while others are being parachutes!  This year I'll have my FLO 60 up front and the 90 w/disc cover on the back, if the winds are right should be an interesting comparison to my old 40/40 DC setup.  Last year the winds were perpendicular at sustained 15-20mph +gusts.

2015-03-13 5:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

interesting, when I look at the data I see something quite different.  At my speed, 24-26 mph, they would appear to be optimal.

Someone already pointed out the fallacy of using different charts.  Here are is one with both a disc and H3D... which probably tests better than a H3.  Notice the H3 isn't close to the Hed disc except in very low yaw situations.

I wish Hed still had their aero chart on their website.  Their own data showed the disc to be better at just about every yaw angle.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2015-03-13 5:29 PM
2015-03-13 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

A real disc is probably faster than the HED3 rear, however a disc cover on a box rim I'm not buying it.  Maybe I just had bad experiences with it, but the thing was always rattling when I hit a bump, and just didn't feel solid back there. If it was raining water would end up inside. The fit seemed to change with the temperature. hot races it was nice and tight, cold races it didn't seem big enough. For the record I was using a wheelbuilder cover on a mavic openpro 32 spoke.

I did the same courses a year later on my H3 rear with the same power and faster speeds. (Caveat, I was lighter so that may be completely meaningless). 

Also with the yaw guys, how many races do you do with a crosswind above 10 mph? Not many. I would wager that the yaw angle is very low most of the time in my races.

Edited by dmiller5 2015-03-13 6:39 PM
2015-03-13 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

A real disc is probably faster than the HED3 rear, however a disc cover on a box rim I'm not buying it.  Maybe I just had bad experiences with it, but the thing was always rattling when I hit a bump, and just didn't feel solid back there. If it was raining water would end up inside. The fit seemed to change with the temperature. hot races it was nice and tight, cold races it didn't seem big enough. For the record I was using a wheelbuilder cover on a mavic openpro 32 spoke.

I did the same courses a year later on my H3 rear with the same power and faster speeds. (Caveat, I was lighter so that may be completely meaningless). 

Also with the yaw guys, how many races do you do with a crosswind above 10 mph? Not many. I would wager that the yaw angle is very low most of the time in my races.

I pulled out some data from last year I tested 3 configurations

HED Ardennes, which maybe 25mm deep + disc cover
HED Jet 9
HED Jet 9 with disc cover

I had to pick one of these for a race. The Ardennes had a PT I wanted to use. The Jet 9 without cover was lightest and no rattling of cover. The 9 with cover was a bit heavier, rattled but I suspected it would be fastest.

The Jet 9 with disc cover and Ardennes with disc cover were the same and faster than the Jet 9 without cover.
At 38km/h (23.75mph) they were close, but still faster than the Jet 9. This seems to be the approximate speed you race at

Same wheel width, tires, tubes.....

Test was done on an oval, winds were about 6mph
I don't think the Ardennes is much better than a box rim

EDIT : I did the math, there was about 5-6 watts difference.

Edited by marcag 2015-03-13 7:43 PM
2015-03-13 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I pulled out some data from last year I tested 3 configurations HED Ardennes, which maybe 25mm deep + disc cover HED Jet 9 HED Jet 9 with disc cover I had to pick one of these for a race. The Ardennes had a PT I wanted to use. The Jet 9 without cover was lightest and no rattling of cover. The 9 with cover was a bit heavier, rattled but I suspected it would be fastest. The Jet 9 with disc cover and Ardennes with disc cover were the same and faster than the Jet 9 without cover. At 38km/h (23.75mph) they were close, but still faster than the Jet 9. This seems to be the approximate speed you race at Same wheel width, tires, tubes..... Test was done on an oval, winds were about 6mph I don't think the Ardennes is much better than a box rim EDIT : I did the math, there was about 5-6 watts difference.

Man want to borrow my HED3 and test that too? :P

I have no doubt the cover is better than most wheels, but I think the HED3 is better than my cover in my setup.

2015-03-13 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I pulled out some data from last year I tested 3 configurations HED Ardennes, which maybe 25mm deep + disc cover HED Jet 9 HED Jet 9 with disc cover I had to pick one of these for a race. The Ardennes had a PT I wanted to use. The Jet 9 without cover was lightest and no rattling of cover. The 9 with cover was a bit heavier, rattled but I suspected it would be fastest. The Jet 9 with disc cover and Ardennes with disc cover were the same and faster than the Jet 9 without cover. At 38km/h (23.75mph) they were close, but still faster than the Jet 9. This seems to be the approximate speed you race at Same wheel width, tires, tubes..... Test was done on an oval, winds were about 6mph I don't think the Ardennes is much better than a box rim EDIT : I did the math, there was about 5-6 watts difference.

I have no doubt the cover is better than most wheels, but I think the HED3 is better than my cover in my setup.

No thanks :-) I have enough crap to test. When riding, indoors and outdoors, I probably do some form of a test, one ride out of two. I just build them into the workout. Doing laps around a F1 track at paces of 140 to 320 watts without budging out of aero makes for some interesting workouts :-) But I have found some really interesting tidbits in position and equipment.

I don't like disc covers. They are faster but I don't like them. They rattle, they can be a PITA to pump, you have to remove them for training......but they are faster. I find electrical tape makes them a little less rattly.

2015-03-13 8:14 PM

User image

Where I'm from, a day with winds less than 10-15 and gusts to 20 is an abnormality.  Which direction the wind comes from???  Well, that just depends on the course.

2015-03-14 8:17 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Where I'm from, a day with winds less than 10-15 and gusts to 20 is an abnormality.  Which direction the wind comes from???  Well, that just depends on the course.

Same here in SE Texas.

2015-03-14 8:17 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
I don't like disc covers. They are faster but I don't like them. They rattle, they can be a PITA to pump, you have to remove them for training......but they are faster. I find electrical tape makes them a little less rattly.

The other thing you can do is get a sheet of thin foam (1mm), cut it to fit on the inside of your disc cover, and stick it on there with spray adhesive. Negligible affect of weight and fit, and when used in conjunction with electrical tape along with rim, should eliminate any rattling.
2015-03-14 9:10 AM
in reply to: #5098399

User image

Expert
Tossing my $.02 in

Don't discount comfort. I run a HED Stinger disc on my track bike. The spoked design is so much better at soaking up the bumps. So much so I have no idea how people run solid core discs. I've tried some Zipp 900 discs and did not like the ride. On my Tri bike I had a Sub9 that sold after one Tri race. Favored a disc covered rear due to ride comfort.

Something else is how your bike, you, and the wheels interact. A set of Flo 60s on my road bike where great. Nice ride and handled winds no problem. Same wheels on my Tri bike and the front end would get blown around by passing cars and things like big trucks where scary. A disc cover helped settle the front down. A 1080 on the front and disc rear or disc cover on the Tri bike was very stable too.

I'm running Vision Metron 40s this season. Put a cover on the rear and gonna play around with tires. Have a set of GP4000 II in 23 and 25, and Schwalbe Ones in 25 to pick from. Guessing either of the 25s will be my choice due how they roll. The hubs on the Vision wheels are amazing, can we start a ceramic bearing thread next :-)
2015-03-14 11:11 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Same here in SE Texas.

Yup, here too.

On the cover noise mine is quiet if I tape inside of the non drive side to a few spokes.  That keeps it from being able to move at all and eliminates the rattle for me.

2015-03-14 11:29 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

No thanks :-) I have enough crap to test. When riding, indoors and outdoors, I probably do some form of a test, one ride out of two. I just build them into the workout. Doing laps around a F1 track at paces of 140 to 320 watts without budging out of aero makes for some interesting workouts :-) But I have found some really interesting tidbits in position and equipment.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to take them off for training?
2015-03-14 11:30 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by axteraa

Same here in SE Texas.

Yup, here too.

On the cover noise mine is quiet if I tape inside of the non drive side to a few spokes.  That keeps it from being able to move at all and eliminates the rattle for me.

Add another "yep". I just did an 80 miler with a 15-20 mph cross wind the entire time.
2015-03-14 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

No thanks :-) I have enough crap to test. When riding, indoors and outdoors, I probably do some form of a test, one ride out of two. I just build them into the workout. Doing laps around a F1 track at paces of 140 to 320 watts without budging out of aero makes for some interesting workouts :-) But I have found some really interesting tidbits in position and equipment. I don't like disc covers. They are faster but I don't like them. They rattle, they can be a PITA to pump, you have to remove them for training......but they are faster. I find electrical tape makes them a little less rattly.

When I use electrical tape it seems to eliminate the rattling and banging.  The pump annoyance is a first world problem at best that's worth saving time in the actual race.

2015-03-14 11:51 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

This thing makes the pump annoyance go away.  It's not cheap but works really well - just press it on and pull it off.

http://silca.cc/collections/pump-heads/products/disc-wheel-mini-chuck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Wheels 101 Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Wheel cover with non-aero front wheel?

Started by link5485
Views: 1236 Posts: 7

2010-10-24 3:58 PM ditchdoc

Aero Wheels versus Light Wheels

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 5469 Posts: 24

2010-02-13 3:43 PM dscottmd

Aero helmet v. aero wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by wdpresta
Views: 5699 Posts: 32

2009-02-26 4:15 PM smilford

Aero helmet without Aero wheels?

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1784 Posts: 9

2008-07-04 10:58 PM jeffy_101

Aero Helmet vs. Aero Wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by Tri-Atlanta
Views: 3576 Posts: 27

2006-08-02 6:10 AM Daz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : daveo1101
comments : 4
Being a fast swimmer put me up with the faster athletes. As expected, they started to pass me soon out of transition. Some would just slowly pass. Others with aero wheels would literally buzz by.
date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.

date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.