General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dinner Conversation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-03-08 7:20 PM

User image

Subject: Dinner Conversation
I know people have shared experiences like this in the past, so thought I'd add to it.
I was recently at a dinner with family and friends and the triathlon/IM topic was brought up.
It went something like this:

Family "Hey, you're into that ironman stuff right?"

Me "I am actually, yes, I enjoy it"

Family "Yeah, cause I noticed you don't drink alcohol, just water"

Me "Yup. I prefer water and I don't drink alcohol, just my preference"

Family "So only water? No alcohol at all?"

Me "Yup. I only drink, essentially, water, coffee, gatorade 95% of the time"

Family "I don't think that's healthy"

Me "Only drinking water? It isn't healthy?!"

Family "Yeah, that's what they say"

Me "Who is they?"

Family "I can't remember. So you swim?"

Me "Yup. I swim 2x/week. It's fun"

Family "How many lengths do you do?"

Me "Usually 1-2km, say 40 laps or so, sometimes more, sometimes less"

Family "Oh that's it?"

Me "Yup. That's it!"

2015-03-09 1:46 AM
in reply to: Jpro19

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Dinner Conversation
Ha! Fortunately my family is very accepting of my hobby--I've been at it since age ten, Dad was a runner for several years and Mom a cyclist, so nobody finds it odd that I would choose to spend my free time swimming, biking, and running. I'm single and I doubt my cats care much about my athletic pursuits, as long as they get fed first. But I really only talk about my training in any detail with colleagues and friends who are into those sports. Everyone else would probably think I was nuts! If people do ask, I generally talk about time rather than distance--I swim for "about an hour", etc.

I sometimes have the opposite problem at work--people who know I do endurance sports but don't know me well sometimes assume I'm a vegan/vegetarian/ nutritional purist, like a few of my more athletic colleagues, and seem flabbergasted when they see me eating meat at lunch or the occasional brownie at a staff meeting!
2015-03-09 3:08 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Drinking water instead of alcohol isn't healthy?

ummm...................
2015-03-09 3:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Jpro19 I know people have shared experiences like this in the past, so thought I'd add to it. I was recently at a dinner with family and friends and the triathlon/IM topic was brought up. It went something like this: Family "Hey, you're into that ironman stuff right?" Me "I am actually, yes, I enjoy it" Family "Yeah, cause I noticed you don't drink alcohol, just water" Me "Yup. I prefer water and I don't drink alcohol, just my preference" Family "So only water? No alcohol at all?" Me "Yup. I only drink, essentially, water, coffee, gatorade 95% of the time" Family "I don't think that's healthy" Me "Only drinking water? It isn't healthy?!" Family "Yeah, that's what they say" Me "Who is they?" Family "I can't remember. So you swim?" Me "Yup. I swim 2x/week. It's fun" Family "How many lengths do you do?" Me "Usually 1-2km, say 40 laps or so, sometimes more, sometimes less" Family "Oh that's it?" Me "Yup. That's it!"

Sorry for saying this about your family, but that's a dumb response.  It's not surprising they said that, however.  People tend to get defensive when you don't drink around them and they do.

Edited by msteiner 2015-03-09 3:27 AM
2015-03-09 7:00 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Family "You know running isn't good for your knees right?"

Me "Staying fit, healthy, lean and active via running isn't good for your knees? Interesting, I heard the exact opposite"

Family "Not me, one buddy of mine ran a lot. Then one day - BOOM - arthritis both of his knees. Guy can barely walk now"

Me "You sure there wasn't any other factors in the story?"

Family "Nah, he just liked to run. Told you it was bad. Hey - can you pass me the fries and gravy please?"

2015-03-09 7:21 AM

User image

I am a scientist with a drug company. Despite literally having a vested interest in people using drugs, I prefer that they use lifestyle changes instead if they can. My mom is constantly complaining about all of the medications that she is on and how much they cost. If she didn't complain, I wouldn't say anything about her eating habits.

A recent meal with my mom when she order fries and gravy then dumped a bunch of salt on them.

Me: You know, if you didn't eat like that all the time, you wouldn't need as many medications.
Her: Why should I watch what I eat when I have you to make drugs for me?

2015-03-09 8:09 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by happyscientist

Me: You know, if you didn't eat like that all the time, you wouldn't need as many medications.

can't argue with that logic. 

2015-03-09 8:13 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Originally posted by Clempson

I didn't even try. I am proud of my dad, though. All of my family has horrible eating habits (it took me years to develop something bordering on healthy). A few years ago, he started walking 5+ mi/day and watching what he ate. He lost over 30 lbs and was able to go off medication for both cholesterol and high blood pressure.
2015-03-09 8:40 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Jpro19

Family "You know running isn't good for your knees right?"

Me "Staying fit, healthy, lean and active via running isn't good for your knees? Interesting, I heard the exact opposite"

Family "Not me, one buddy of mine ran a lot. Then one day - BOOM - arthritis both of his knees. Guy can barely walk now"

Me "You sure there wasn't any other factors in the story?"

Family "Nah, he just liked to run. Told you it was bad. Hey - can you pass me the fries and gravy please?"

I've had this exact conversation about 1,243 times.
2015-03-09 9:07 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Co-worker: Doing anything fun this weekend?
Me: I have a bike ride planned!
Co-worker: How far?
Me: (insert literally any number of miles here)
Co-worker: Oh wow! I would even want to DRIVE that far! 
Me: Me either!

2015-03-09 9:57 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I have three water bottles on my desk at work which I fill every morning. I get asked about them constantly. If I had a quarter for every time I have been told that drinking that much water in a day is 'not good for you' I could pay for every race I want to do this year with cash to spare. When I challenge the statement all I ever get is "That's what I heard/read".

As for drinking alcohol, does 3 glasses of champagne a year count?

2015-03-09 10:36 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Stuartap I have three water bottles on my desk at work which I fill every morning. I get asked about them constantly. If I had a quarter for every time I have been told that drinking that much water in a day is 'not good for you' I could pay for every race I want to do this year with cash to spare. When I challenge the statement all I ever get is "That's what I heard/read". As for drinking alcohol, does 3 glasses of champagne a year count?

3 water bottles = 60 oz? 80 oz? 
I aim for 80-90 oz a day and some days feel like that's not enough.

I've had people say to me "but don't you just have to pee all day? Who wants to do that?" 

2015-03-09 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Stuartap I have three water bottles on my desk at work which I fill every morning. I get asked about them constantly. If I had a quarter for every time I have been told that drinking that much water in a day is 'not good for you' I could pay for every race I want to do this year with cash to spare. When I challenge the statement all I ever get is "That's what I heard/read". As for drinking alcohol, does 3 glasses of champagne a year count?

I've had people say to me "but don't you just have to pee all day? Who wants to do that?" 

60 oz over a typical 9 hour day, including lunch. I have water with dinner as well. I don't think I am anywhere near 'too much'.

As far as having to pee too often. Truth be told I don't count how many times I pee a day much less anyone else so I can't really say if I do more than whatever the hell normal is. Besides, I know way too many people who count that as their only exercise during the day, walking to the bathroom. I will take my routine, thank you very much!
2015-03-09 10:57 AM

I didn't even try. I am proud of my dad, though. All of my family has horrible eating habits (it took me years to develop something bordering on healthy). A few years ago, he started walking 5+ mi/day and watching what he ate. He lost over 30 lbs and was able to go off medication for both cholesterol and high blood pressure.

You should be proud of your dad. He deserves credit for his the changes he has made. Just goes to show what a little effort & exercise can accomplish.
2015-03-09 11:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Them: "How come you don't eat anything else besides that? All I ever see you eat is eggs, or salmon or that quinoa stuff or sweet potatoes and chicken. And all those vegetables, ew! Do you ever eat real food!?"

Me: "My goodness, you're serious, you think processed fast food or quick order food is real food don't you?"

*To my delight they had no comeback

Edited by TJHammer 2015-03-09 11:54 AM
2015-03-09 12:30 PM

It is actually pretty easy to find studies that Gatorade is not healthy, it often compared to soda. You can also find studies that a beer after a workout can be used as a hydration / recovery drink.

disclosure : I will drink Gatorade but I normally make it from the powder and make it around 1/4 the strength.

2015-03-09 12:34 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by lisac957

I get this one all the time. I have a 64oz bottle that I fill 2 times a day. I've gotten the "too much water" bit more than I care to remember. I personally subscribe to the 1oz/2lb body weight school of thought. Truth be told, I've fallen under that 256lb mark, but I enjoy my water. Also working out in the elements tends to dehydrate you a bit quicker than an indoor job
2015-03-09 12:44 PM
in reply to: #5098928

User image

Regular
Kansas
I ate an apple today at break while everyone else has a donut. You definitely get looked at as an outcast. ??
2015-03-09 12:54 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Some of my favorites:

While eating a bunch of vegetables for lunch- "Boy...you don't fit in around here do ya...."

"You triathletes sound like you have some kind of psychological problem"

as for staying hydrated throughout the day, I drink from a really big glass jar , usually close to a gallon per day, so I've been known around the office as "the guy who drinks out of the fish bowl"

2015-03-09 1:25 PM
in reply to: #5099113

User image

I joined a team just to have people to about triathlon, mountain biking, etc. My wife tried and does a much better job at feigning interest than I could, but I can see her eyes glaze over when I start talking about FTP, minutes per 100 yards, etc.

My diet and exercise habits are a complete 180 from the rest of my family. It's taken me years to get where I am (junior high weight). They all mention how much they admire the changes I've made and how they would like to lose some weight, be more active, etc yet nobody has taken me up on my offer to help
2015-03-09 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

Ugh, my mom is the same way. I give her a little credit -- since being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes she has cut down on sugar and lost a few pounds. But she eats nothing but processed "diet" crap -- I can't even talk to her about it anymore because I just get mad and we end up fighting about it, haha. And good for your dad!

I get a bunch of these all the time, too:

Other: "Isn't running bad for your knees?"
Me: "Actually, running helps build up my quads, which takes the stress off my knees." (True -- as long as I run regularly my chondromalacia doesn't bother me.)

Other: "Is that much training good for you?"
Me: "It's healthier than sitting on the couch."

Etc.

2015-03-09 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Next time have a few drinks and then puke all over the table.  They won't give you #&$* about not drinking again.  In fact, you might not have to worry about another big family dinner.

2015-03-09 3:25 PM

User image

Regular

I am a scientist with a drug company. Despite literally having a vested interest in people using drugs, I prefer that they use lifestyle changes instead if they can. My mom is constantly complaining about all of the medications that she is on and how much they cost. If she didn't complain, I wouldn't say anything about her eating habits.

A recent meal with my mom when she order fries and gravy then dumped a bunch of salt on them.

Wisdom like that comes with age.....
2015-03-09 3:32 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Pro

Family and friends outside of immediate family:  Are you working out for triathlons again

Me:  Nope

2015-03-09 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I had an employee who would tell me to relax on the weekends. He would ask what relaxing thing I had planned.

When I told him I had a 3 hour ride planned, he would say that is not relaxing.

I didn't bother explaining because he would not get it. I just told him he should relax how he wants to and I am going to relax how I want to.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dinner Conversation Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Hilarious Conversation!

Started by bsc77
Views: 1252 Posts: 5

2011-07-25 1:57 PM firegirlred

Interesting conversation with Tri Club Organizer...

Started by sjwwebster
Views: 1317 Posts: 12

2011-03-16 8:27 PM FELTGood

Comical comments, questions and conversations Pages: 1 2

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 3440 Posts: 38

2010-07-24 9:23 AM TritoTeach

Best comments/conversations during your transitions

Started by zionvier
Views: 1989 Posts: 20

2010-05-02 9:34 PM suzimmer

Funny conversation with my wife...

Started by briderdt
Views: 1805 Posts: 23

2008-01-02 7:04 PM nxm165
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 20, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
While carbo-loading sounds simple (just stuff yourself with pasta, right?), the truth is that many endurance athletes make food mistakes that hurt their performance.

date : December 12, 2004
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
As an athlete who shows responsibility by training hard, you'll miss the boat if you are irresponsible with fueling your hard worked body.